Page 79 of 121 FirstFirst ... 29 69 77 78 79 80 81 89 ... LastLast
Results 2,341 to 2,370 of 3601
    The All-American American Woody-5's Avatar
    Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Just got back from a work trip down South. Hit a bunch of music shops and tried out a ton of acoustics in hopes to replace my damage ones. I really wanted to try a jumbo Gibson SJ-200, but no one had one. I played a Gibby J45 that was awesome. Also tried a Martin D28 which wasn't even on my radar originally, and it had a killer sound.

Came back home and test drove a Taylor that I checked out before my trip and it came home with me. 424ce LTD. it's made from that Urban ash and I can't believe how bright it sounds. Western sunburst finish that has a beautiful red hue in the sun. The body is all clear coated and glossy but the neck has a nice satin finish, ebony board, black tuners... Hnnnnggg she's sexy.

one big selling point for me where I have multiple acoustics that were ruined, taylor has a BOGO deal, buy a higher end one and get a baby taylor for $100 or the GS mini for $200. He gave me a GS Mini LTD made from Hawaiian Koa. For a smaller guitar, that thing puts out some volume!

One other thing to note from my trip: one of the shops had an actual 1959 Les Paul burst. $375k price tag. I was stoked to see one in person

Originally Posted by badger6 View Post
    How often do you guys do setups and change strings per guitar? Back when I only had a couple electrics, each one got a lot more playing time so I did about 3 string changes and 2 setups a year on each one. I do all my own setups, but now that's a lot of time and money with 7 electrics, 2 in the mod process, and an acoustic that I rarely play. I try to rotate through them all every couple weeks to to keep them in tune and give them some playing time. Kind of figured that the more guitars you own, the less playing time each one would get, therefore the less you would have to change strings and set them up. I was trying to do string changes and set ups on them all once a year, but I guess with the seasonal changes that doesn't seem to be the case.
    I (had) about 14 guitars before my flood. I honestly only played 2-3 on the regular so they'd get string changes more frequently. The ones that didn't get much time, I'd only end up re-stringing when I'd dust it off and find they were rusty.

As far as setups, once I got my humidity under control (I run a humidifier all winter and then dehumidifier in the summer), the necks rarely move so I don't need setups nearly as often. Sometimes I may need to give the truss rod on a few of my Pauls a little twist to get rid of buzz when the warmer months hit.
    PRs: Back Squat- 410x1 / Front Squat- 320x1/ Bench- 325x1 / Deadlift- 505x1

Woody's Quest for the Seven (journal):
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177649631

Registered Gym Rat CherryPopinski's Avatar
    CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    How often do you guys do setups and change strings per guitar? Back when I only had a couple electrics, each one got a lot more playing time so I did about 3 string changes and 2 setups a year on each one. I do all my own setups, but now that's a lot of time and money with 7 electrics, 2 in the mod process, and an acoustic that I rarely play. I try to rotate through them all every couple weeks to to keep them in tune and give them some playing time. Kind of figured that the more guitars you own, the less playing time each one would get, therefore the less you would have to change strings and set them up. I was trying to do string changes and set ups on them all once a year, but I guess with the seasonal changes that doesn't seem to be the case.
    I changed the strings on the Nightswan, that chit took forever but it definitely needs a setup there's like no relief in this neck. But generally I'll do a setup maybe once a year.
    No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates

Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by CherryPopinski View Post
    I changed the strings on the Nightswan, that chit took forever but it definitely needs a setup there's like no relief in this neck. But generally I'll do a setup maybe once a year.

How is it sounding? What amp and effects are you adding to get the raw, unadulterated 80s awesomeness?
    Back off, Warchild.

Seriously.

ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ClivesTriceps has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Bodhy View Post
    How is it sounding? What amp and effects are you adding to get the raw, unadulterated 80s awesomeness?
    Peggy's favorite effect pedal

Worst jew in the world.

CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) CherryPopinski has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by Bodhy View Post
    I'm using sims, but the guitar sounds great. I finally got it setup, can you guys help me confirm some of my measurements just wanna know if there's still room to dial in stuff.

I'm using 9.5-44 strings

Neck Relief: Clearance between 7th fret and the 6th string measures .005 with a feeler gauge (Capo on first fret, and string fretted at 17th fret where neck meets the body)

Action Height: Measures 5/64 on the bass side and 4/64 on the treble side (Capo on 1st fret, action measured at 12th fret)

Pick-up Height: Both pickups measure 5/64 on the bass side, and 4/64 on the treble side, string is fretted at the 24th fret and distance is measured from the pick-ups to the bottom of the 1st and 6th strings. I didn't radius the pole pieces though before I restrung the guitar.

The intonation is close enough so I didn't bother messing with it.

EDIT: Also adjusted the screws for the claw, so the Floyd Rose sits parallel with the body, the springs are in a V configuration something like this "/ l \"
    No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable.

-Socrates

badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Any of you guys learning any interesting songs lately? Went back on keto and got tons more energy. Hell, I'm up at 6am and don't even want to take a nap or go to bed until after midnight. Not really hungry much either.

Anyhow, I got half a Marty Friedman song down in the past few days. I don't know how much further I'll get since he goes kinda apechit in the second half of the song LMFAO

Any of you guys learning any interesting songs lately? Went back on keto and got tons more energy. Hell, I'm up at 6am and don't even want to take a nap or go to bed until after midnight. Not really hungry much either.

Anyhow, I got half a Marty Friedman song down in the past few days. I don't know how much further I'll get since he goes kinda apechit in the second half of the song LMFAO
    Everyone just ignored my setup question lol but I'm tackling this

-Socrates

rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

[youtube]NJYEO6yAo5U[youtube]
    It's funny how none of you guys except for Dom knows what's up with the Charvels.

My DK24 Japanese Charvel with SS frets is one of the best playing guitars I've ever had, I will literally melt a person's face off with it.

badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) badger6 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Oh, I thought you said it was playing good. What was your question?

On Suicide Solution that guys video says Jake E Lee. But Randy played on Suicide Solution

This is the one I'm working on. I didn't see any lesson videos so I have to slow down the video and figure it out myself. It's kind of hard with Marty because his phrasing is so unique with all of his micro bends, vibrato, and slides. I love all the chromaticism in this song. I've learned to about the 2:23 mark.

[/QUOTE]

Originally Posted by rollerball View Post
    It's funny how none of you guys except for Dom knows what's up with the Charvels.

My DK24 Japanese Charvel with SS frets is one of the best playing guitars I've ever had, I will literally melt a person's face off with it.
    Which one do you have and how much was it? I was looking at a Nightswan, LTD '87, or a Jackson in the next few months maybe.

rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Which one do you have and how much was it? I was looking at a Nightswan, LTD '87, or a Jackson in the next few months maybe.
    I got the Rick Graham DK24 model. Which is kinda annoying as I gave Dom a bunch of chit about his preference for Schmoe Satriale's Ibanezes but it was the cheapest stainless steel fret DK24 I could find.

I got the Rick Graham DK24 model. Which is kinda annoying as I gave Dom a bunch of chit about his preference for Schmoe Satriale's Ibanezes but it was the cheapest stainless steel fret DK24 I could find.
    That's about double that I was looking to spend. Looks like the non signature models are more in my price range. I wonder how much difference there is between the signature and non signature? I've found that once you get to a certain price, there's a point of diminishing returns most of the time. How's the non locking trem tuning stability? Will it do Floyd stuff and keep stable?

That's about double that I was looking to spend. Looks like the non signature models are more in my price range. I wonder how much difference there is between the signature and non signature? I've found that once you get to a certain price, there's a point of diminishing returns most of the time. How's the non locking trem tuning stability? Will it do Floyd stuff and keep stable?
    I got mine used for around 1700 actually, there was no way I was going to spend close to $3K new on a Japanese made Charvel. There probably will be little perceptible difference other than maybe slighter higher fit and finish, definitely a superior roasted maple, and the RG model does have the stainless steel frets, Bareknuckle pickups and a superior nut I believe.
    The necks are all nearly identical but that's what I like - a bit thicker than the Ibanez wizard necks but still slim and with a great contour which feels great with the roasted maple.

The Gotoh bridge is very similar to the one I have on my Suhr Modern Pro and it's great. It will do reasonable whammy stuff but don't expect 80s shred style whammy craziness. If you need that you should check out the Jackson USA Soloists.

Oh, I thought you said it was playing good. What was your question?

On Suicide Solution that guys video says Jake E Lee. But Randy played on Suicide Solution
    Yea I know Randy played on it, not sure why he’s citing Jake unless it’s an alternate version I haven’t heard

Anyways the setup post was about my measurements and if stuff was good but the more research I did I realize setup work comes down to player preference and stuff like that.

Originally I was under the impression that it was generally accepted to match a humbuckers pole pieces to the radius of the fingerboard but as I’ve done more research it’s a bit more nuanced I gotta set some time aside to adjust them

-Socrates

Yea I know Randy played on it, not sure why he’s citing Jake unless it’s an alternate version I haven’t heard

Anyways the setup post was about my measurements and if stuff was good but the more research I did I realize setup work comes down to player preference and stuff like that.

Originally I was under the impression that it was generally accepted to match a humbuckers pole pieces to the radius of the fingerboard but as I’ve done more research it’s a bit more nuanced I gotta set some time aside to adjust them
    Yeah, I usually just set my stuff up to standard spec for an LP or Strat and tweek a little from there if it needs it. It's mostly just preference and what's comfortable for you. Back in the 80s I used to think that I wanted the lowest possible action that I could get. Haha, I was wrong.

I don't think I've ever adjusted my pole pieces. I just adjust the overall pickup height. But even that's more of a preference due to pickups having different outputs and depending on the sound you're looking for. On my Les Paul I have the neck pickup sitting very low so I can somewhat control the volume with the switch instead the knobs. All those knobs are distracting when I'm trying to concentrate on my chitty playing.

Anyone else get 24 fret blur when switching from a 22 to a 24 fret guitar? When playing in the upper register it's almost like I'm high until I get used to the extra frets. Ahhhh, first world problems LMAO

bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    When I adjust pickups I do it by ear. Sometimes it takes a bit if time because 1/4 turn of a screw can make the difference. Closer to the string is not usually better if you ask me. I adjust with my best clean amp setting

I'm pretty much done with guitar for now. I'm fukking tearing it up fingerstyle bass playing with my Sire U5 short scale bass.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Speaking of "Schmoe Satriale's Ibanezes" $3K without stainless steel frets is highway robbery.

Of course I get a cork sniffing pro with a full time tech who thinks nickel sound better but it's not like he plays the stock guitars and fans are experiencing what he plays. The average bedroom guitarist won't appreciate forking out a few hundred for a refret in a few years.

Stainless frets on mine are coming up for 7 years and still look new playing heavy strings with a lot of bending.

Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    Speaking of "Schmoe Satriale's Ibanezes" $3K without stainless steel frets is highway robbery.

Of course I get a cork sniffing pro with a full time tech who thinks nickel sound better but it's not like he plays the stock guitars and fans are experiencing what he plays. The average bedroom guitarist won't appreciate forking out a few hundred for a refret in a few years.

Stainless frets on mine are coming up for 7 years and still look new playing heavy strings with a lot of bending.
    I can't stand non-steel fret pleb guitars. They're disgusting.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    At least Ibanez offers them on quite a few models now and even Vai has seen the light. PRS flatly refuses to put them on his guitars.

At least Ibanez offers them on quite a few models now and even Vai has seen the light. PRS flatly refuses to put them on his guitars.
    What an arrogant prick Paul has proven to be time and time again. I hate the feeling of the frets being essentially a perishable good if the guitar is played vigorously and consistently.
    The price of a core PRS is obscene, he should give us stainless steel frets and a real 2ct VVS1 diamond embedded in the headstock for those prices.

And a legal tortoise shell guitar pick.

bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I understand wanting SS frets but have any of you played a nickle or other alloy fretted guitar and needed a refret?

Originally Posted by bignpisst View Post
    I understand wanting SS frets but have any of you played a nickle or other alloy fretted guitar and needed a refret?
    Yeah my old ibanez that got refret with SS. My Schecter could use one, chit like that. But now I just buy steel fret guitars unless they're super cheapos

Yeah my old ibanez that got refret with SS. My Schecter could use one, chit like that. But now I just buy steel fret guitars unless they're super cheapos
    I thought you hated partcasters?

I thought you hated partcasters?
    I dislike having to refret but I do what I gotta do if necessary. That's why I would only refret with stainless steel frets.

Did you see that they use crystal quartz as a fret material

-Socrates

Did you see that they use crystal quartz as a fret material
    tell me more about this

tell me more about this

Probably a nightmare for luthiers though. Must absolutely wreck files.

-Socrates

My crusty old Ibanez neck that I used to string with 9-42. Also worth mentioning as those frets wear down your fingers rub even harder against the wood. I can see divots in the rosewood. Another vote for ebony or maple to go with stainless.

Spoiler!

My crusty old Ibanez neck that I used to string with 9-42. Also worth mentioning as those frets wear down your fingers rub even harder against the wood. I can see divots in the rosewood. Another vote for ebony or maple to go with stainless.

Spoiler!
    Ebony is my preferred choice for fretboards

-Socrates