Closed Thread
Page 53 of 336 FirstFirst ... 3 43 51 52 53 54 55 63 103 153 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,590 of 10051
    Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50) Willith will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by BobDaNob View Post
    Don't mind him, he just has that whole elitist 'brb, graduating Cum Laude from no.1 contemporary music school in country' Berkley garbage convincing him it makes him a better person.

Don't let his shortcomings diminish the value of your excellent posts to those among us who can really benefit from them.

Making me a better person? LOL, wtf? If that's from a moral standpoint, then no (read the aforementioned "lol, wtf?") If from an intelligence perspective, then yes, absolutely. I'd love to see you explain how this is a shortcoming.
    Am I to depend on you in the future somehow?

Chords, scales, etc. are fine- and you probably would benefit from them- although I find it SUSPECT that you would want to learn this information from a bodybuilding forum- rather than seeking it out on - oh I don't know, a GUITAR or music forum. But that's just me...
    But the idea of talking about 4 part writing and counterpoint after spending two posts on scales, is absolutely ridiculous. That's not something to be learned on teh internetz.

Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Willith View Post
    You believe anybody here is going to understand four part writing from A post? I can assure they won't- and I can prove my theory relatively easily. I've not seen anybody ask for anything other than scales and "how to sweep"---where is the clamor for four part writing? You know why it's not here? First and foremost, because this is a guitar thread- and because four part writing isn't a part of learning guitar, but rather something a guitar can be a part of. It's *writing* Just like counterpoint. Kudos for using the term "species"- I'm positive you lifted that term from Wikipedia or another obsolete source, seeing as how nobody actually refers to counterpoint as "species counterpoint".

I've got a riddle for you to decipher- let me know when you're ready.

oh, and LOL- you're 18.
    Keep it civil... This is NOT the regular misc. Everyone knows you're a guitar wonderboy. If you don't think this is a worthwhile thread, please stay out.
    Semper Fi

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

Gangster of Timepieces RedSoxfan1978's Avatar
    RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Oh hai Mindripper....

Question here from a guitar newb.

I have taken a few lessons, what Im doing, or I should say how Im going about learning is this.

I practice my scales daily, hours on end actually. I do the Chromatic Scale, the E Major, and E Minor Pentatonic scale. I also practice the chords, the CAGED type system. The scales have helped with finger speed and accuracy 10 fold. I can almost always hit and pick the right strings now. A few weeks ago I would hold one string and pick the wrong one, or mute the wrong one etc. I also practice bits and pieces of songs I want to learn to keep it interesting.

Anyway is this a good way to go about it? I cant afford lessons at this point, money is in very short supply. I dont want to waste time and effort doing the wrong things. I dont believe scales and chords are wrong though, cause isnt EVERYTHING played based on or around them anyway?

Any help would be great! Im having a TON of fun though.
    "Johan tells me that your luggage, is the luggage of the poor."

"The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation." - Col. Jeff Cooper USMC Ret.

iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I was going to return my first guitar, but the guy told me not to get a more expensive one till i learn, and he has a point..
    ⎈⚓⎈---BMBC--⎈⚓⎈

taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by PapaPrime View Post
    I was going to return my first guitar, but the guy told me not to get a more expensive one till i learn, and he has a point..
    I did the complete opposite when I finally paid for my first guitar. Bought the best I 'could' afford so you'd always want to pick up the guitar and play it.

iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250) iNegUthenLol has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by taxsux View Post
    I did the complete opposite when I finally paid for my first guitar. Bought the best I 'could' afford so you'd always want to pick up the guitar and play it.
    Well at first i seriously thought the problem was me.. Because i was having a bunch of problems with it.. Then there was some guitarist in the shop and he played it for me and he did well.. So yeah.
    ⎈⚓⎈---BMBC--⎈⚓⎈

taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50) taxsux will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Which did you get if you dont mind me asking.

Well i just got a cheap 90 dollar acoustic one, never touched a guitar before, and next semester i am taking string classes in college, so that will help. I am practicing the chord's and it's killing me.
    ⎈⚓⎈---BMBC--⎈⚓⎈

Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Please post a avi that is you or take the current one down. Thx
    Semper Fi

Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50) Slashed will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RedSoxfan1978 View Post
    Oh hai Mindripper....

I have taken a few lessons, what Im doing, or I should say how Im going about learning is this.

I practice my scales daily, hours on end actually. I do the Chromatic Scale, the E Major, and E Minor Pentatonic scale. I also practice the chords, the CAGED type system. The scales have helped with finger speed and accuracy 10 fold. I can almost always hit and pick the right strings now. A few weeks ago I would hold one string and pick the wrong one, or mute the wrong one etc. I also practice bits and pieces of songs I want to learn to keep it interesting.

Anyway is this a good way to go about it? I cant afford lessons at this point, money is in very short supply. I dont want to waste time and effort doing the wrong things. I dont believe scales and chords are wrong though, cause isnt EVERYTHING played based on or around them anyway?

Practice those scales in every key as it would be more beneficial to you then instead of getting good at the one key. All shapes are transposable(move them around basically).
    I normally practice scales at the start of my workout for 5-10 minutes then hit a backing track the key that day. Search for some backing tracks then you can apply all the scale knowledge you know and make it sound good.

Originally Posted by PapaPrime View Post
    Well i just got a cheap 90 dollar acoustic one, never touched a guitar before, and next semester i am taking string classes in college, so that will help. I am practicing the chord's and it's killing me.
    Problem with cheap accoustics is they can't stay in tune. Not sure about your guitar though. Cliche but yeah practice and sure you'll be aite in not time.

Originally Posted by Mindripper View Post
    Please post a avi that is you or take the current one down. Thx
    Done cheers

cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) cman1787 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    i just started messing around with my dads acoustic yesterday. got down the c major and a major chords.

this thread is kind of all over the place. since i'm a true beginner, should i just go ahead and get the Mel Bay beginner book??

any other suggestions?

Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000)
    You believe anybody here is going to understand four part writing from A post? I can assure they won't-
    Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... that's my point. You're sitting here going "pfft your lessons should be more complicated" and I'm sitting here going "uh, but why would I bother?"

and I can prove my theory relatively easily. I've not seen anybody ask for anything other than scales and "how to sweep"---where is the clamor for four part writing? You know why it's not here? First and foremost, because this is a guitar thread- and because four part writing isn't a part of learning guitar, but rather something a guitar can be a part of. It's *writing* Just like counterpoint. Kudos for using the term "species"- I'm positive you lifted that term from Wikipedia or another obsolete source, seeing as how nobody actually refers to counterpoint as "species counterpoint".

I've got a riddle for you to decipher- let me know when you're ready.

oh, and LOL- you're 18.
    Sorry your highness, must be Australian vernacular. I was taught in school by my teacher of the first five species of counterpoint which start at simple note for note and progress to a more complicated set of guidelines. So you can blame her you prick.

I didn't think I'd get hostility from writing these lessons, but then again I suppose you're too busy sitting around admiring yourself for being better than everyone rather than trying to help them.

Geez, some people.

Oh and yea I'm 18 - so does this mean that I am incapable of knowing music theory? Interesting logic.
    Last edited by Master.D.; 12-09-2008 at 03:26 PM.
    -->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

is back from hiatus! ElSpaceBandito's Avatar
    ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Master.D. View Post
    Oh and yea I'm 18 - so does this mean that I am incapable of knowing music theory? Interesting logic.
    Sorry but your gonna have to wait until your 24 before you begin learning music theory champ

Hey, where you doing your music composition course mate? Iv been thinking of taking it up ..
    Next Oleksandr Kutcher In The Making!

Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Infusco has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ElSpaceBandito View Post
    Sorry but your gonna have to wait until your 24 before you begin learning music theory champ

Hey, where you doing your music composition course mate? Iv been thinking of taking it up ..
    Box Hill TAFE I believe.

subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Oh hai Mindripper....

Playing scales a lot is great. You also have to listen to yourself in terms of what you want to play/practice. For instance, i used to do an hour of scalework every day, and while it has its benefits it gets tiring, and really annoying to go through day after day. Practice scales intensely for a while. THen take some weeks off, but still practice them here and there. Then go back to them intensely. Just mix it up. While scales are very beneficial dont forget to learn actual songs. THey are just as good for practicing honestly. Also, improvisation is a great way to improve. Sounds like youre on the right track though. I would suggest not to do too much of one thing

maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Smile

Originally Posted by FlyingV View Post
    You're always going to be inadvertently banging into that D string when you're chugging away on (as they're often called) root-5th power chords. More right hand precision would help, perhaps, but what you need to be doing is muting all the other strings with the fleshy part of the side of your palm, you sort of lay that across all the strings and just leave the top two E and A strings open. Hope that makes sense. In a nutshell, you have to be/want to be muting all those other strings when you're playing those kinds of chords.
    Thankyou so much.reps.
    Do you play in a band? How many hours every week do you play?
    Can you post something please?

Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Master.D. View Post
    You're kidding right mate?

If these lessons seem simple to a genius like you it's only because I have simplified them because I am trying to teach. You'll have to bare with me seeing as I am catering for people under the assumption that they know absolutely no theory at all.

I can assure you that these lessons are my own and I'm offended that you accuse me of copying and pasting them.

By the way, why would I bother teaching about modulation to these people that don't even know how to construct a key in the first place? It only makes logical sense to start with the basics.

Nevertheless stick around for the lessons on modulation, four part harmony, two part melody construction and species counterpoint.

Yup.

Don't worry about what that other guy said, good job posting the lessons. I need some basic ones too since I know nothing about "theory."
    1 Stripe Blue Belt, Gracie Barra BJJ (Reps to BJJ/MMA brahs)

Reps to USMC and other military members, Semper Fi

"If the bar ain't bendin' you're just pretendin."

RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) RedSoxfan1978 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by subjugate View Post
    Playing scales a lot is great. You also have to listen to yourself in terms of what you want to play/practice. For instance, i used to do an hour of scalework every day, and while it has its benefits it gets tiring, and really annoying to go through day after day. Practice scales intensely for a while. THen take some weeks off, but still practice them here and there. Then go back to them intensely. Just mix it up. While scales are very beneficial dont forget to learn actual songs. THey are just as good for practicing honestly. Also, improvisation is a great way to improve. Sounds like youre on the right track though. I would suggest not to do too much of one thing
    Thanks for the advice brah! Im already burned out from scales. I put like 4 hours a day in on them. Coming a long nicely though. Is there a point where it all just comes together though? I hear a lot of people say you get to the point where you can just PLAY, hopefully with all this practice Im putting in, its sooner than later.

"The will to survive is not as important as the will to prevail... the answer to criminal aggression is retaliation." - Col. Jeff Cooper USMC Ret.

Thanks for the advice brah! Im already burned out from scales. I put like 4 hours a day in on them. Coming a long nicely though. Is there a point where it all just comes together though? I hear a lot of people say you get to the point where you can just PLAY, hopefully with all this practice Im putting in, its sooner than later.
    After a while you just see the patterns and start to add chromatic notes so it actually sounds like music.

I practive scales every day but I like to play a chord progression and use runs off whatever position I am on the neck.

Also if you're having trouble getting things to follow. Check out the Hopscotch method for minor pentatonics. After you get good at that you can apply to it to other scale / mode runs.
    Semper Fi

Originally Posted by Mindripper View Post
    After a while you just see the patterns and start to add chromatic notes so it actually sounds like music.

I practive scales every day but I like to play a chord progression and use runs off whatever position I am on the neck.

Also if you're having trouble getting things to follow. Check out the Hopscotch method for minor pentatonics. After you get good at that you can apply to it to other scale / mode runs.
    I see.. Yeah Im trying to wrap my brain around the fact that while an E Minor Pentatonic scale is played starting on an E not up at the top of the neck, for a newb like me, that scale can be play ANYWHERE on the neck as long as it begins on an E note correct? Same with ALL scales and chords? See being new, Im thinking.. "Ok this is a "C" chord, again its on the first fret of the B string making it of course a "C" chord, but THAT chord and can played all up and down the neck cause its still a "C" just a higher octave "C"? Did I get that right or totally butcher it?

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I see.. Yeah Im trying to wrap my brain around the fact that while an E Minor Pentatonic scale is played starting on an E not up at the top of the neck, for a newb like me, that scale can be play ANYWHERE on the neck as long as it begins on an E note correct?
    Well you wouldn't keep the same scale shape, no. If you want to play in the key of E all over the neck you need to learn the 5 scale positions. But if you want to play in any key, yes, you can simply move the scale up and down the neck (the note you start on on the low E will be your root note, the name of the scale).

I hope that makes sense. It's kinda early.

Also, for the chords question, I suggest you look up something called the "CAGED system."

Originally Posted by An hero View Post
    Well you wouldn't keep the same scale shape, no. If you want to play in the key of E all over the neck you need to learn the 5 scale positions. But if you want to play in any key, yes, you can simply move the scale up and down the neck (the note you start on on the low E will be your root note, the name of the scale).

I hope that makes sense. It's kinda early.

Also, for the chords question, I suggest you look up something called the "CAGED system."
    Hey thanks! Yeah Im learning the CAGED chords, but all up near the top of the neck, but the headstock, nothing anywhere else, just learning the chords now and trying to switch between them. I have even more respect for the guitar greats after trying to learn to play now. Its unreal how EASY they made it look. Hendrix, SRV, etc, looks like they are waiting for a bus or something. I guess thats why they were so great though.

Ill have to learn the 5 scale positions now too.

Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Striver is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    So what do we all think about using sweeping to introduce a beginner to playing electric guitar?

I originally thought it was a stupid idea, but after a long while away from playing, I came back and started sweeping. I am finding that it is bringing back my co-ordination, finger strength and rhythm extremely quickly. I like!

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by cman1787 View Post
    is this the one you are referring too????

http://www.melbay.com/product.asp?ProductID=93200

and what other mel bay books would you recommend after that one?
    that's the one
    trust me, get through that one and you can make your own choice, after halfway, it gets really tough
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

hey yall
    ⎈⚓⎈---BMBC--⎈⚓⎈

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Hey thanks! Yeah Im learning the CAGED chords, but all up near the top of the neck, but the headstock, nothing anywhere else, just learning the chords now and trying to switch between them. I have even more respect for the guitar greats after trying to learn to play now. Its unreal how EASY they made it look. Hendrix, SRV, etc, looks like they are waiting for a bus or something. I guess thats why they were so great though.
    The thing about the CAGED system is that learning it allows you to play a chord anywhere on the fretboard. For instance you could play a G major chord in the "D shape" with the root on the 5 fret of the D string. Or the "C shape" with the root at the 10th fret of the A string. And you can play triads all over the place as well.

Originally Posted by An hero View Post
    The thing about the CAGED system is that learning it allows you to play a chord anywhere on the fretboard. For instance you could play a G major chord in the "D shape" with the root on the 5 fret of the D string. Or the "C shape" with the root at the 10th fret of the A string. And you can play triads all over the place as well.
    CAGED system is awesome. A ton of really amazing guitarists just use partial chord so it helps if you understand where they are coming from.
    Semper Fi

I been trying to learn the basic chords, but idk... I can't focus. Too much school work. Next semester I am taking string classes. So i hope that helps.
    ⎈⚓⎈---BMBC--⎈⚓⎈

subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10) subjugate is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Striver View Post
    So what do we all think about using sweeping to introduce a beginner to playing electric guitar?

I originally thought it was a stupid idea, but after a long while away from playing, I came back and started sweeping. I am finding that it is bringing back my co-ordination, finger strength and rhythm extremely quickly. I like!
    Hmm i never thought of that. The reason i dont like the idea though, is because the picking part of sweeping is fairly hard to get down especially when beginning. I think it would be more beneficial to go through sweep patterns with the left hand, or different arpeggios, but really work on alternate picking them. I think the idea is a good one, but just to use regular picking. Nice thinking bro
    ---------------------------------------------

Yea dude you will get to that point. It sounds like youre dedicated and im happy to hear that. When i learned scales i had a hard time memorizing them, esepcially having 12 keys and then major and minor. I would stick with one scale, I started with Gmaj. and i would play it in many different ways all around the fret board. I would ascend and descend in different patterns. After a while the songs i started making up were either compeltely in the key of G or spawned from it in some way. Your brain will get accustomed to using the notes it hears in a particular key after a while. Ite really cool. Im still working hard on learning more scales. I can play G, A, and C pretty well, along with some minors

Closed Thread