Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

New Year new look!

Tomorrow I have an appointment to get 4-5+ inches of my hair cut off, dyed and styled. I was sitting in my sauna last night and I thought I would use the sauna a lot more if my hair wasn't such a pain in the arse to wash, dry and style. It really is a process because my hair is insanely thick and wavy so it's hard to control. I even got a hair dryer stand for Christmas to free up one of my hands while drying and it still takes forever!

I know my boyfriend is partial to long hair but I've had this long hair for awhile now and I honestly don't think it's doing me any favors. Besides he does not have to deal with all this hair on his head. I would love to go back to the short style I once had but in an effort to compromise I decided on a medium length cut.

I haven't dyed my hair since beginning of November and everytime I look in the mirror I see another grey hair in the inch + of regrowth. It's happening pretty quickly. I also never do anything to my hair and I always just pull it back or just let it air dry into a wavy mess so I feel kind of depressed about it like I have no style.

In general I have kind of been feeling down lately. I think it's mostly because of my job and I know I need to start looking for something else. I am hoping this new look will give me the confidence I need to find a better place to work. The long hair looks sloppy and I think this new look will be more polished. It's time for a much needed makeover!
    Beast in training...

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mtnliones5 View Post
    Hallelujah! The sickness is finally going away! I can finally breathe out of both of my nostrils now. It feels so good to be alive!
    Good to hear! I just got a brief virus too that sounded a lot like yours (congestion, mouth drying out at night, stuffed nose).

This year I feel like I need to have a focus and that focus is going to be to continue slow bulking with maintenance breaks if needed (no cutting until 2018!). I want to get stronger and that is my ultimate goal. I am tired of having goals that conflict and I'm tired of being afraid of getting fat. This year is about adding muscle and strength! Since I have been eating more I have been gaining strength so I feel like this is what my body needs and wants. Now that I'm finally finding my groove with squats and seem to enjoy sumo deadlifting I think I can finally increase my numbers.
    Sumo ftw. Love all of this. Definitely going to make some gains with that nice long bulking phase.

I worked with the rubber plates and decided to do pendlay rows and be explosive and quick off the ground. I am not sure what the difference is between BOR and pendlay other than pendlay you are more explosive off the ground I think.
    Grip for Pendlay rows is wider, so you pull more with your rear delts, and upper back. BoRs are narrower grip, and hit your lats/middle back more. I don't bend over quite as much with BoRs either.

Tomorrow I have an appointment to get 4-5+ inches of my hair cut off, dyed and styled. I was sitting in my sauna last night and I thought I would use the sauna a lot more if my hair wasn't such a pain in the arse to wash, dry and style. It really is a process because my hair is insanely thick and wavy so it's hard to control. I even got a hair dryer stand for Christmas to free up one of my hands while drying and it still takes forever!
    Yes! It's a great time for it too. It's nice to do something different with your hair, particularly if you've let it grow out and do it's thing for awhile. It definitely helps give you a confidence boost. I have a pinterest board for ideas of what I'd like to do with mine if I could afford to get it done professionally, lol.
    PRs: 95lbs/126lbs/212lbs
    Next Goals: 100lbs/150lbs/215lbs

mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mtnliones5 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LunaLifts View Post
    Good to hear! I just got a brief virus too that sounded a lot like yours (congestion, mouth drying out at night, stuffed nose).
    Yeah something had definitely been going around. A lot of other people at work got it too.

Sumo ftw. Love all of this. Definitely going to make some gains with that nice long bulking phase.
    They feel so much better than pulling conventional! Because I have long femurs I'm always so bent over pulling conventional and I feel like with sumo I can be more upright and I feel it more in my adductors and hips.

Grip for Pendlay rows is wider, so you pull more with your rear delts, and upper back. BoRs are narrower grip, and hit your lats/middle back more. I don't bend over quite as much with BoRs either.
    Hmm I'm gripping so that my pointer finger is at the beginning of the knurling on the bar. Maybe I should go a bit wider because I felt it more in my mid back it was so sore the next day. But I like doing them bent over all the way like this:

Yes! It's a great time for it too. It's nice to do something different with your hair, particularly if you've let it grow out and do it's thing for awhile. It definitely helps give you a confidence boost. I have a pinterest board for ideas of what I'd like to do with mine if I could afford to get it done professionally, lol.
    I'm so happy I got my hair done! What a relief! It turned out nice and I already got a compliment on it at the gym today. Pic to come!
    Beast in training...

Some exciting news!

First let me post a pic of how the hair came out:

Ignore the cat hair on my shirt I picked up Milo when I got home and he's orange. I'm so happy I did this! It feels so much lighter and I wont get headaches when I always pull my hair back. It was also nice not having to make sure my hair is not caught underneath the barbell for squats. I see some girls squat with their ponytail under the barbell (out of the few ones I ever see barbell squat) and if they were to loose the bar and it rolls off their back it's taking the hair with it. I could imagine that hurting pretty bad.

ouchie!

Anyway, I have some exciting news to share. I've kind of kept it to myself because when I began the process initially I kept going back and forth over whether or not I had the confidence to pull it off. Now I'm pretty certain that this is what I want to do. Back in August I bought all the materials and exam voucher from ACE to become a certified group fitness instructor. I went back and forth on it and at the time I was kind of fumbling around with my own workouts after going on those vacations, struggling to get back on track, my grandpa passing etc. I have been really dissatisfied with my current job so I began my search for a new one. I can't find anything I think I would truly be happy doing. I tried working in an office 9-5 and I hated it. I started looking for jobs in the fitness industry and got excited for some of them but I needed a certification.

I decided to do groups first because I figured I could teach a couple classes in the morning outside my normal 40 hrs per week job. At least this would get my foot in the door and meeting new people. Obviously you can't teach classes 40 hrs per week or you would be completely wiped out. After doing this I want to get my personal trainer cert and possibly go down to part time hours at my current job while training part-time until I think I could make it full time. Getting out of my current situation and into something I enjoy is going to be a gradual process but I think it will be worth it to do something I really want to do rather than waste time trying out a new office gig just to quit 8 weeks later because I'm miserable.

I just finished up my CPR training and got my card. The next step is to take the exam. I have it scheduled for March 20th. I have already been studying the materials a bit but now that I have this date set I really need to get moving on it. I'm really excited to start this new endeavor. Even though I had some struggles this past fall I know that I need fitness in my life. I NEED to workout because I feel so much better when I do! It is a feeling so great that if I could bottle it up and sell it I would and I am going to. There. Finally I spilled the beans!
    Last edited by mtnliones5; 01-04-2017 at 10:18 AM.

LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) LunaLifts has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hmm I'm gripping so that my pointer finger is at the beginning of the knurling on the bar. Maybe I should go a bit wider because I felt it more in my mid back it was so sore the next day. But I like doing them bent over all the way like this:
    I don't bend quite that low, because it can bug my hip flexors sometimes, but close. BoRs I'm closer to a 45 angle.
    As for grip, I usually grip it to where my elbows make 90 degrees when I pull up. Like this fellow:

I'm so happy I got my hair done! What a relief! It turned out nice and I already got a compliment on it at the gym today. Pic to come!
    Yay for hair excitement! Sounds like it went as well as you hoped. Can't wait to see it!

*edit* I see we posted about the same time, lol. Editing to add that I LOVE it. It looks so pretty, and light, and I love the color. Ok, off to finish reading the post itself. lol

Today's workout

Like a dummy I left my phone at home by accident and didn't realize until I was halfway to the gym. So I had to do this workout from memory and I had no timer to time my planks or rests. I also could not film my sumos I generally felt really lost without my phone today!

Sumo DL

115 x5
    115 x5
    115 x5

DB shoulder presses

15s x10

30s x5
    30s x5
    31.25s x5
    30s x5
    30s x5

Lat pulldown

50 x10

100 x10 Pretty sure that's a weight and rep PR!
    100 x8
    100 x8

BB split squat
    85 x15
    85 x15 going to work on ROM next time felt a little short

BB curl
    50 x8
    50 x8 I did these right after lat pulldown which probably wasn't a good idea

BB Glute bridge
    190 x8
    190 x8
    190 x8
    190 x8

1 legged Plank
    Left Side 40 sec
    Right Side 40 sec

Side plank
    Left side 45 sec
    Right side 45

The planks were hard because I didn't have my timer I had to look up at the clock and it was at a weird angle. Not my best effort. Also my left side hip felt really tight and painful doing these. I stretched after this workout and I'll probably foam roll later and sit in the sauna.

I was able to pull my hair back into a low ponytail and when I took it out it had a slight crease in it towards the ends. I blew it dry a little and the crease came out and my hair still looks good. It's so nice being able to just move on with my day instead of f-ing with my hair after every workout to make it look decent!
    Beast in training...

Ok, caught up again. That video looked so painful. I always do buns, or maybe a high pony. Definitely wouldn't let a bar sit on my hair.

ALL OF MY YAYS! That's awesome you're getting certified. I've considered it too, but since it's a lot of considering (plus it'd be able before I could afford to) I'm mostly seeing what I can learn about health and fitness now. Right now just learning more about body systems, and stuff.

Congrats on getting the CPR card. Do they require AED cert too? I know some do. Did you have to go to a class for it? It seems like the type of thing I'd be anxious about doing with a bunch of people there. >.<

I know it's a way off still but, best of luck on your exam! I'm sure you'll kill it.

Congrats on getting the CPR card. Do they require AED cert too? I know some do. Did you have to go to a class for it? It seems like the type of thing I'd be anxious about doing with a bunch of people there. >.<

I know it's a way off still but, best of luck on your exam! I'm sure you'll kill it.
    I had to take CPR/AED. I had to go to class for it but only one other person signed up for the class and they didn't show up so I got a one on one class!
    Beast in training...

Oh man! I had to take some time away from this journal because I had some issues with my computer. After struggling for hours trying to figure out why I had only limited access connectivity to the internet and one broken wireless USB adapter (yeah I got mad and threw the thing across the room) I am finally connected to the internet! All I had to do was get a new adapter, delete my network, uncheck some stupid box then reconnect to the internet. I knew the entire time is was something so stupid!

Also our furnace broke the other night and it was only about 8 degrees outside. It got down to 48 degrees in this house but after the furnace got a new motherboard it is working once again. What a PITA though. Ugh technology!

I'm off work today and I'm kind of waiting around to go to the gym since there is a threat of ice and freezing rain. I think by noon it should be ok. Right now I am going to make a huge pot of turkey chili which is perfect for this time of year.
    Beast in training...

I had to take CPR/AED. I had to go to class for it but only one other person signed up for the class and they didn't show up so I got a one on one class!
    Awesome. If I ever decide to go for it, I hope I'm that lucky. lol.
    I am finally connected to the internet!

Also our furnace broke the other night and it was only about 8 degrees outside.

I'm off work today and I'm kind of waiting around to go to the gym since there is a threat of ice and freezing rain. I think by noon it should be ok. Right now I am going to make a huge pot of turkey chili which is perfect for this time of year.
    Welcome back, sorry about the internet and furnace issues, what a pain.

We're supposed to get some chit weather today, and Jay didn't believe me when I said it was bad that the sunrise was red. :P Fortunately I love saying I told you so.

Unhappy Not feeling myself lately

My workout from Tuesday didn't go so well besides a 5 lb increase on leg press. I had a lot on my mind so I didn't really feel focused. To make matters worse I realized I forgot to take two days worth on my birth control at the beginning of the pack so I felt like a bloated, hormonal mess.

I've gone through a lot of changes this past year. New job, quitting the new job, going back to my old job, changing departments at my job, learning to drive a stick, my grandpa passing, and now recently trying to quit a bad habit of mine. I have what I like to call "high functioning anxiety." I may seem like I'm handling all these changes at once just fine but really I'm so anxious and terrified. Because I'm so anxious all the time, it is interfering with my personal life and job which gets me down and depressed. I think I have been feeling this way for awhile now-- maybe since September?? I keep trying to tell myself it's just the weather and the short days but it just isn't getting better.

I finally told my boyfriend about this (right before the workout!). He was completely surprised because like I said on the outside I seem like I'm fine. I made an appointment with my doctor the next morning. I explained to her all the things that are making me feel anxious and I have been prescribed an antidepressant medication. I wish I could afford to talk to a therapist but $35 a visit is too expensive for me. The least I can do it go on medication. I have been on this medication before and tolerated it well and feel as though it helped.

Right now I am dealing with some unpleasant side effects like insomnia and a bit of nausea which I know will go away as I continue on the medication. It's going to take a month before I start noticing the full effects of the meds. I really hope I start to feel better soon
    Beast in training...

Yesterday's workout

Sumo DL
    120 x5
    120 x5
    120 x5

BB glute bridge
    195 x8
    195 x8
    195 x8
    195 x8

BB shoulder press
    60 x5
    60 x5
    60 x5
    62 x5
    62 x5

Lat pulldown
    100 x8
    100 x8
    100 x8

Hip adduction
    80 x10
    80 x10
    80 x10

DB curl
    20 x8
    22.5 x8
    22.5 x8

Plank
    1 min

Side plank
    45 sec each side

I'm pretty sure I have discovered that the reason my squats are looking so horrible is because I have a weak adductor on my left side leg. It caves in so that it takes the slack out of the muscle so I'm only using my quad to lift the weight. I have significantly lowered the weight on squats and will do some accessory work to fix it. When I did the squats with a lower weight I did them very slow and forced that knee out and afterward my adductor really felt like it got worked out. If I try to squat with a faster tempo that leg just wants to cave. Only on the left side though! I know one time when I went up in weight in squats it felt like I had strained my adductor and I'm not trying to have this happen again.

I also think that sumo deadlifts will help a whole lot with this problem. I am really starting to love sumos. I filmed myself on them again and my shoulders are still over the bar too much and my arms aren't completely straight up and down. I still need to work on this and I think it will improve if I keep filming myself and just working on it.
    Beast in training...

I hate missing the pill, even when I'm regular with it it can screw with me. It'll balance out though.
    I have what I like to call "high functioning anxiety."
    That's exactly what it's called, my friend posted a few articles on it on FB before. You seem composed, you get things done, but inside you're freaking out, and most people with HFA tend to be perfectionists, which makes the anxiety worse.

I'm glad you made an appt, and got on some medication though. Does a world of good to get it to a more manageable level. I hope it starts to help soon. Sorry about the effects though, if you know it should get better, than that's good though. Can you take anything for the side effects int he meantime, like melatonin or otc sleep aids to try to help the insomnia, or Pepto to help the nausea (Pepto is the bomb).

Nice going on the workout, I see you're still doing sumos. Loving them even, that's awesome. Allow me to officially welcome you to the cool kids club. I just got back to recording my lifts too, the big ones anyway. Sometimes you think you're nailing it, only to see there's little tweaks you can improve on.

Damn though, look at that hip thrust weight. O.O What are you using for padding? Because that would crumble my hip bones to dust.

I hate missing the pill, even when I'm regular with it it can screw with me. It'll balance out though.

That's exactly what it's called, my friend posted a few articles on it on FB before. You seem composed, you get things done, but inside you're freaking out, and most people with HFA tend to be perfectionists, which makes the anxiety worse.

I'm glad you made an appt, and got on some medication though. Does a world of good to get it to a more manageable level. I hope it starts to help soon. Sorry about the effects though, if you know it should get better, than that's good though. Can you take anything for the side effects int he meantime, like melatonin or otc sleep aids to try to help the insomnia, or Pepto to help the nausea (Pepto is the bomb).

Nice going on the workout, I see you're still doing sumos. Loving them even, that's awesome. Allow me to officially welcome you to the cool kids club. I just got back to recording my lifts too, the big ones anyway. Sometimes you think you're nailing it, only to see there's little tweaks you can improve on.

Damn though, look at that hip thrust weight. O.O What are you using for padding? Because that would crumble my hip bones to dust.
    I'm starting to sleep a little bit better but tomorrow I'm supposed to increase my dosage. I'm off from work so if I get more nausea at least I won't be at work. The weird nausea feeling hits about 30 mins after I take it and lasts a couple hours then I'm fine.

As far as anxiety goes I managed to drive up this ridiculously steep winding hill that is always backed up with traffic (and people will get right on your bumper) in my Jeep--the worst case scenario in a standard transmission. Before this I would detour around this hill and avoid the situation that gives me anxiety. I did great though and I didn't even roll back at all on the hill starts.

Also a customer of mine invited me to a bible study on Saturday. I'm not going to know anyone there and normally I wouldn't go but I chose to go anyway. Maybe I'll meet some nice new people and since I can't afford a therapist maybe it will help. I think maybe I'm starting to get a glimpse of the medication although I know it will take a month to fully kick in.

I also did glute bridges at the gym yesterday! I would never do this before in fear that I looked silly. Yesterday I didn't care and just wanted to get my workout done. When I do them at home I use a folded up towel under the bar and when I did them at the gym yesterday I put a foam exercise mat underneath the bar.
    Beast in training...

I'm starting to sleep a little bit better but tomorrow I'm supposed to increase my dosage. I'm off from work so if I get more nausea at least I won't be at work. The weird nausea feeling hits about 30 mins after I take it and lasts a couple hours then I'm fine.
    Probably an obvious question, but do you take it when you eat? I used to take an SSRI that just wrecked my stomach if I didn't eat first.
    As far as anxiety goes I managed to drive up this ridiculously steep winding hill that is always backed up with traffic (and people will get right on your bumper) in my Jeep--the worst case scenario in a standard transmission. Before this I would detour around this hill and avoid the situation that gives me anxiety. I did great though and I didn't even roll back at all on the hill starts.
    Way to go! Any part of this scenario separately would be super hard, especially driving standard. Making the choice to face your anxiety when you don't have to is incredibly hard, but super rewarding.
    Also a customer of mine invited me to a bible study on Saturday. I'm not going to know anyone there and normally I wouldn't go but I chose to go anyway. Maybe I'll meet some nice new people and since I can't afford a therapist maybe it will help. I think maybe I'm starting to get a glimpse of the medication although I know it will take a month to fully kick in.
    Can't hurt to try. Worst case, you don't like the people, and just don't go back. I hope you have a good time though.
    I also did glute bridges at the gym yesterday! I would never do this before in fear that I looked silly. Yesterday I didn't care and just wanted to get my workout done. When I do them at home I use a folded up towel under the bar and when I did them at the gym yesterday I put a foam exercise mat underneath the bar.
    Woot! Glute bridges are the greatest, and I'm not sure I'd have the jewels to do them in a gym (unless it as a pretty empty gym). I'd probably have to have Jay sit in front of me like "block my crotch for a second, will ya?"
    >.<

Lol, crotch block.

Probably an obvious question, but do you take it when you eat? I used to take an SSRI that just wrecked my stomach if I didn't eat first.
    Yeah I was taking it with breakfast but now I feel completely normal on it.

Way to go! Any part of this scenario separately would be super hard, especially driving standard. Making the choice to face your anxiety when you don't have to is incredibly hard, but super rewarding.
    I'm starting to find my anxiety is starting to get much more manageable.

Can't hurt to try. Worst case, you don't like the people, and just don't go back. I hope you have a good time though.
    I had a great time and met some great new people! It's definitely something I am going to continue going to.

Woot! Glute bridges are the greatest, and I'm not sure I'd have the jewels to do them in a gym (unless it as a pretty empty gym). I'd probably have to have Jay sit in front of me like "block my crotch for a second, will ya?"
    >.<

Lol, crotch block.
    lol I remember when my bf was going to the gym with me and I was wearing a low cut top and I go on the preacher curl and it pushed all my cleavage up so I made him stand in front of me so no one would see! lol
    Beast in training...

Not working out :(

This schedule is just not my cup of tea. I really hate packing all my stuff so I can get my workout in and shower and get ready at the gym. I hate getting ready at the gym and I'm so worried I"m going to forget to pack something really important like pants or something. I could drive to the gym, drive back home then back out to work but that is wasting so much time and gas. I just can't really get going in the morning.

Yesterday morning I could not get up so I decided to just say screw it to the gym and rolled back over and went to sleep. When I woke up I felt really guilty so I decided to just go after work--after work at. like. 9 PM. I can get in my gym with my keytag at anytime so why not?

So last night after working 8 hrs I went to the gym to workout and I really liked it a lot. I figured there would be no one there but I didn't want it to be completely empty because the parking lot would be creepy. To my surprise there were still plenty of people there but it was not crowded. I really liked working out at that time and the people at the gym seemed to be a lot nicer.

So now I'm going to go for late night gym sessions. It's going to cut down on some boyfriend time but after 9 pm we pretty much just sit and watch Netflix anyway.

I did my sumo deadlifts last night and I can lift 115 for three sets of ten. I decided to do higher reps with lighter weight on them since I still need to get used to the movement. I love sumo deadlifts! My back feels so much better and I can really feel my feet spreading the floor apart when I do them.

Oh I also ordered a slingshot hip circle to help with my squats and for warmups. It should be here in about a week! Can't wait to try it out!
    Beast in training...

I'm starting to find my anxiety is starting to get much more manageable.
    This makes me smile, I know that feeling, and it's a massive relief.

I had a great time and met some great new people! It's definitely something I am going to continue going to.
    Glad you went, and met some cool people! I'm still figuring out the whole "making friends as an adult" thing. lol.

lol I remember when my bf was going to the gym with me and I was wearing a low cut top and I go on the preacher curl and it pushed all my cleavage up so I made him stand in front of me so no one would see! lol
    lol!
    This schedule is just not my cup of tea. I really hate packing all my stuff so I can get my workout in and shower and get ready at the gym. I hate getting ready at the gym and I'm so worried I"m going to forget to pack something really important like pants or something. I could drive to the gym, drive back home then back out to work but that is wasting so much time and gas. I just can't really get going in the morning.
    Yeah, that sounds like a real pain, and I'd worry about the same thing. Hell, I'd probably have a checklist just to make sure. And I feel you on not being a morning person. Once I'm up, I'm up, but I need time. I don't workout until 9:30-10 so I've had some time to make breakfast, and be more lively.
    I really liked working out at that time and the people at the gym seemed to be a lot nicer.
    So now I'm going to go for late night gym sessions.
    Awesome! Sucks less boyfriend time, but at least it's better than in the morning.
    I did my sumo deadlifts last night and I can lift 115 for three sets of ten. I decided to do higher reps with lighter weight on them since I still need to get used to the movement. I love sumo deadlifts! My back feels so much better and I can really feel my feet spreading the floor apart when I do them.
    Yaaas!
    Oh I also ordered a slingshot hip circle to help with my squats and for warmups. It should be here in about a week! Can't wait to try it out!
    Sweet, can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Too focused on the numbers

I have backed down on the weights to focus on mind-muscle connection and form. I think I get too focused on more weight or more reps at the expense of proper form, tempo and ROM. Here was today's workout

Squat

bar x12
    85 x5
    85 x5
    85 x5
    90 x5
    90 x5

Bench press
    85 x5
    85 x5
    85 x5
    90 x5
    90 x5

Leg Press
    320 x10
    320 x10
    325 x10

Leg curl
    50 x10
    50 x8

Db one arm row
    35 x10
    35 x10
    35 x10

Weighted decline russian twist with sit up
    10 x10
    10 x10
    10 x10

Cable rope tricep pushdown
    65 x15
    65 x14
    65 x10

FOAM ROLLING and STRETCHING! YAY!

I went really low on squats and even set the safeties down lower. I think I can feel it more in my glutes that way. I may have been not hitting parallel before. I was probably really close though but going low and slow with lighter weight on squats is helping me keep my knee out.

I was definitely stopping short on bench press and not touching my chest before. Now I must do it on every rep so I just lowered the weight some and bench press felt much better.

I went light on the rows ( I stopped doing pendlays because I just can't feel it in my back and I just hated doing them). I really tried to pull the weight up slow and controlled and made a mind-muscle connection with these.

Adding a sit up between the russian twists was so hard!

I slowed the tempo down on tri pushdowns and it burned so badddd!

I just got an email that I will be getting the slingshot hip circle tomorrow! I can't wait to try it out!
    Beast in training...

I went really low on squats and even set the safeties down lower. I think I can feel it more in my glutes that way.
    Nice! They do say below parallel squatting hits the glutes more.

I went light on the rows ( I stopped doing pendlays because I just can't feel it in my back and I just hated doing them). I really tried to pull the weight up slow and controlled and made a mind-muscle connection with these.
    You weren't doing that with the Pendlay's, right? They're supposed to be explosive, more strength-building rows. They don't hit a lot of the back muscles, mostly middle back, and less directly tris, and rear delts. Whereas bent over rows (BB or DB) hits your lats more.

I just do both. Heavy Pendlays one day, lighter BoRs the other.

I just got an email that I will be getting the slingshot hip circle tomorrow! I can't wait to try it out!
    Awesome!!

tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000) tina722 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Subbing!

Nice volume on these workouts. Resetting/lowering weights just makes it more satisfying to see the increase again. Especially when form feels more solid. And, please share all your hip circle experiences - I have been looking at getting one too.
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172554141

Originally Posted by tina722 View Post
    Subbing!

Nice volume on these workouts. Resetting/lowering weights just makes it more satisfying to see the increase again. Especially when form feels more solid. And, please share all your hip circle experiences - I have been looking at getting one too.
    Hello there! I finally used the hip circle today for warm ups. I'll share the experience below!
    Beast in training...

My @$$ is on fire!

I used the hip circle today to warm up for deadlifts. I put it just above my knees and did some walks forward and to the side. Then I did about 12 bodyweight squats with it and holy heck my @$$ was on fire! I can't wait to see if is helps me at all with squats!

Today's workout

Sumo DL
    120 x10
    120 x10
    120 x10

BB glute bridge
    185 x8
    185 x8
    185 x8
    185 x8

Lat Pulldown
    90 x10
    90 x10
    90 x9

BB shoulder press
    62 x5
    62 x5
    62 x5
    62 x5
    62 x5

Thigh abductor
    85 x15
    85 x15
    85 x15

ss w/

Thigh adductor
    85 x15
    85 x15
    85 x13

Plank
    1 x 1min 10 sec
    1 x 1 min

Side Plank
    1 min both sides

DB alternating curls
    20s x12
    20s x12
    20s x12

I got a video of the deadlifts today and I think they look decent? I've been practicing my form for about a month now so I'm thinking I can slowly start adding weight.

Speaking of slowly adding weight I bought a set of micro plates that fit a barbell. My gym has ones for dumbbells that are magnetic but not for barbells and I know even one more pound on stuff like shoulder presses is triumph!
    Beast in training...

You should have said something about finding micro weights for barbels. Batting weights weigh 1lb each, fit over the bar ends, and cost way less. Wouldn't help for fractional stuff, but adding 2lbs is still a lower increment, and I'm not sure if they do come in other weights.

Deads look great! Better than mine, lol. I round my upper back a little, but PR says it's alright as long as it's just the upper. Still hoping that once I get a full length bar and can set up a bit better, it'll sort out, but in the meantime at least it's not an issue.

You should have said something about finding micro weights for barbels. Batting weights weigh 1lb each, fit over the bar ends, and cost way less. Wouldn't help for fractional stuff, but adding 2lbs is still a lower increment, and I'm not sure if they do come in other weights.

Deads look great! Better than mine, lol. I round my upper back a little, but PR says it's alright as long as it's just the upper. Still hoping that once I get a full length bar and can set up a bit better, it'll sort out, but in the meantime at least it's not an issue.
    I looked into using other items as microplates. I saw someone online say to use giant washers but then they said that they may not be perfect 1 lb increments and I'm to OCD for that lol. I looked on Amazon and found a whole set for $25 with shipping included. A lot of them you could get one set of 1 lb ones for like $16 so I thought for just a little more money why not get the whole set? So now I'm getting .25, .5, .75 and 1 lb plates. I'm so glad I found them with free shipping otherwise I wouldn't have gotten them!

I have heard that some upper back rounding is fine with deadlifts especially as you get close to your 1RM. What kind of bar are you using?
    Beast in training...

Wow, good deal! Most of the ones I've seen are higher.

I use an oly bar, but it's 6ft, not the usual 7. I want to get a full bar eventually, but you know me and money. This one was like $70, vs over $120, and when I get a 7ft bar I want it to be good, not a cheaper one with a 300lb capacity. Just means I can't get y feet set as far as I'd like, because I'm not very careful putting it back down, and if my toes are against the plates going up, they'll be under when it comes down. >.<

Wow, good deal! Most of the ones I've seen are higher.

I use an oly bar, but it's 6ft, not the usual 7. I want to get a full bar eventually, but you know me and money. This one was like $70, vs over $120, and when I get a 7ft bar I want it to be good, not a cheaper one with a 300lb capacity. Just means I can't get y feet set as far as I'd like, because I'm not very careful putting it back down, and if my toes are against the plates going up, they'll be under when it comes down. >.<
    Quite the deal! So I pulled the trigger on them! They should get here sometime later this week or early next week. In the meantime I just put two collars on each side of the bar to add some weight.

When I sumo I put my ankles just inside the rings in the knurling. Maybe I should have them out a bit further than that but I think my mobility might be a limiting factor. I think for my next deadlift session I will try to bring them out slightly to see if it feels better. At least that way I could get my hips closer to the bar and have better leverages. I also think sticking my chest out more will help.

I think if the bar were an entire foot shorter I would be worried about smashing my feet too!
    Beast in training...

When I sumo I put my ankles just inside the rings in the knurling. Maybe I should have them out a bit further than that but I think my mobility might be a limiting factor. I think for my next deadlift session I will try to bring them out slightly to see if it feels better. At least that way I could get my hips closer to the bar and have better leverages. I also think sticking my chest out more will help.

I think if the bar were an entire foot shorter I would be worried about smashing my feet too!
    I like a really wide stance for sumo. First (and only) time I did them with a full bar my form felt awesome, hip drive felt on point, there was a mirror, and everything looked solid too.
    I can manage for now though, a flat bench is definitely priority (as far as lifting equipment), then maybe I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on one. Right now I'm just saving up to have money for vacation. Jay's pretty positive he want sot go early March, and I can't stand not having money when we travel. If I don't spend a penny that's fine, but I like knowing I have money if I need it.

I like a really wide stance for sumo. First (and only) time I did them with a full bar my form felt awesome, hip drive felt on point, there was a mirror, and everything looked solid too.
    I can manage for now though, a flat bench is definitely priority (as far as lifting equipment), then maybe I'll keep an eye out for a good deal on one. Right now I'm just saving up to have money for vacation. Jay's pretty positive he want sot go early March, and I can't stand not having money when we travel. If I don't spend a penny that's fine, but I like knowing I have money if I need it.
    I would try craigslist there's always people wanting to get rid of gym equipment on there!
    Beast in training...

I would try craigslist there's always people wanting to get rid of gym equipment on there!
    Yeah I heard of people getting good deals off there, FallenAngel got a huge set of bars, plates, and collars for dirt cheap.