Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Sounds good.

Are you looking at any playing time this year?

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Can't really answer that as an incoming freshman. But I am going to go in and try to start from game 1.

Also still trying to decide between 5/3/1 and 5x5. I've thought of two main core lifts that I will switch between every week. Regular/Incline Bench, Front/Back Squat, Deadlift/Power Clean, Military Press/Push Press?
    What do you think I could use along with Military Press? I think I would stall out pretty quickly using the same ones every week so now I will be repeating every two weeks. Add 5 lbs to upper lifts and 10 lbs to lower lifts (if I go 5x5)

So if I use 5x5 it will be like WS4SB3, 5/3/1 and 5x5 combined (I just took what I liked from each program and integrated it together. WS volume, 5/3/1 core lifts, and 5x5 rep/set scheme)
    Last edited by LiftNPlay; 05-04-2013 at 08:55 PM.
    5' 11", 225 lbs
    BF: ~17%
    Bench: 320
    Squat: 485
    Power Clean: 295

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=145019721&pagenumber

LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) LegitSalsa is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Push press/press/behind the neck press is something bill Starr liked to rotate.

LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10) LiftNPlay is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    MONDAY

Morning
    -Ladders

Afternoon
    -5x5 Push Press
    -4x9 Pull-Ups
    -4x8 DB Bench
    -4x9 Close Grip Rows
    -4x10 Neutral Grip DB Incline Bench
    -4x8 Seated Power Cleans
    -4x8 Weighted Dips SS Very Close-Grip Chin-Ups

Not too sure if I have said this earlier but this whole time I had pull-ups and chin-ups switched around but now I know what both are. Had my senior lock-in Friday so I stayed up all night. Threw off my sleep schedule and now I have a slight cold. I guess that just goes to show the importance of rest.

My 5x5 weeks will look like this:

Week 1
    Bench
    Squat
    Military Press
    Power Cleans

Week 2
    Incline Bench
    Front Squat
    Push Press
    Deadlift

Alternate every week. I still have to figure out when I work will towards 3 or 1RM maxes. I do increasing weight sets, not straight sets.

Had to do push press today because I worked after school and my community gym doesn't have any good place to do incline.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

My journal from high school football through my current college football career:

WEDNESDAY

Morning
    -Plyometrics

Afternoon
    -Sprints
    -Conditioning

Nothing much to say. Decent day of work.

About 191lbs on average now.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

THURSDAY

Morning
    -5x5 Push Press
    -4x7 Weighted Pull-Ups
    -4x7 DB Incline Bench
    -4x6 BORs
    -4x6 Barbell Bench
    -4x Shoulder Circut
    -4x7 Seated Power Cleans
    -4x Rolling DB Extensions
    -4x8 DB Curls

I think I am going to stop doing the 5x5 after Friday. I have to really bend my back to give the bar a place to rest on when doing push press and it's getting to the point where I could get injured. Also had bad form on my squats last Tuesday. I feel like switching my whole routine in general so I will start looking around. Also, it is summer for me now (graduated last Friday) so I have more time to lift.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Going to start, to the dot, the college S&C program tomorrow. I've been feeling run down lately and am going to do that program and begin to focus more on nutrition and rest (stretching, sleep, etc.) It's good now but I want to take it as seriously as I do my training. So I can't post the exact sets/reps/etc but I will do like LuckSide and basically summarize the day. I will see how I feel after this week. I will attack the program with as much focus as possible (one concern is that it is too short), and if I don't feel its enough by the end of the week then I will add a few more things.

I want to (everyday):
    -Take multi and fish oil
    -At least have a short stretch session
    -Get at least 8 hours rest
    -Get 1g/lb of bodyweight in protein
    -Eat 90% clean
    -Eat more meats and vegetables

And at least once every week do a whole body foam roll and thorough stretch session.

Basically, its time to shore up all areas of athleticism and see where it takes me.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Will look forward to you posting more than.

And dude, I highly doubt it's too short. Look at Starting Strength, or even 5x5. You could make gains on a 5x5 I'm pretty sure, and that's about as short as they get. Besides, you said your college had some of the best sports science in the area, didn't you? I think the change of volume will shock your system pretty well. I wouldn't be surprised to see your maxes go up a bit in the next couple of months.

Thanks for the reply! Nice to hear some positive reinforcement!

This morning was upper body. Did some prehab then the main lifts (chest, back, and shoulders). Tonight was linear speed development. Had an upper body stretch session after lifting this morning and a lower body stretch session after the speed workout.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Been staying true to my word and only doing what the program calls for so far. I like it, harder than I thought, but I still want to add some stuff. I'll think about it over the weekend. I have orientation Monday so I will either workout Sunday or start Tuesday and skip the off day.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Switched back to my old routine this week. I just don't want to do what everyone else is doing.

Friday

Afternoon
    -4x4 Hang Snatches
    -4x6 Deadlifts
    -4x6 Pistol Squat (bar-guided)
    -4x6 Light but as low as possible Squats
    -3x6 Tire Flips
    -4x6 Barbell Shrugs
    -4x12 DB Calf Raises
    -4x Ab Circuit

Night
    -Agility Drills on Beach

Fun to get back on the sand! Not much else to say.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

I'm gonna be honest, I think you need to cut volume out of your program. Like I said before, I think you need a change of pace.

I'm going to really focus on getting good sleep/rest in general next week and see how I feel next weekend. I'll keep thinking about possible changes this week as well.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

It's been a while! Had a good week lifting and got some new maxes. Last week I squatted 405 again but missed 425 and benched 290. Yesterday I snatched 185 and regular style (not sumo) deadlifted 455. Also on Tuesday I power cleaned 255 (had only gotten 245 up to that point) and I got under 275 but caught it too far out in front (aka I can get 275). If I am staying at home next week (may be going to my grandmas) I will try for 415 squat.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Wasn't feeling it so I didn't try to max Tuesday.

Friday

Morning
    -4x4 Deadlift
    -4x4 Hang Cleans
    -4x4 Pistol Squats
    -4x8 Good Mornings
    -4x10 Shrugs
    -4x12 Barbell Calf Raises
    -4x Ab Circuit

Afternoon
    -Cone Drills

Decent day. Was really tired 3/4 of the way through my agility so I cut my losses and called it a day. Going to go foam roll now for the first time in forever and will stretch afterwards as well. Football starts August 19th!
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Spent my whole last week (Sunday-Saturday) at my state's All-Star game. I played on the small division team and felt like I was one of the better players there, especially on the defense (played ILB). I just found out last Friday that someone had dropped out and I had a chance to play so I took it. We won the game which felt good (and yes everyone actually played hard it wasn't like the Pro Bowl). So all last week I had no time to lift. Got right back at it today though!

MONDAY

Afternoon
    -Cone Drills
    -Light Conditioning

Night
    -3RM Bench (New PR - 250)
    -4x8 Pull-Ups
    -4x8 Incline DB Bench
    -4x7 BORs
    -3x6 Military Press
    -1x6 Push Press
    -4x8 Band Pull-Aparts
    -4x6 Incline DB Curls
    -4x8 Tricep Pull-Downs
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

FRIDAY

Morning
    -College Workout

Afternoon
    -Agility Ladder
    -Conditioning

I don't know why but it was really hard to find motivation this week. My lifting days weren't bad, but they definitely weren't good and as a whole it was a down week. My leg workout today was good but then I just couldn't get going on ladders and didn't do too much. My college lifting program these next three weeks is pretty tough so I am switching to that program. I leave for pre-season camp three weeks from tomorrow (Saturday), so I'm going to try to train balls to the walls these next two weeks then pull back on the third week to make it somewhat of a deload week. I need to start stretching more and I am telling myself now that I'm going to get a good foam roll and stretch session in this weekend but I guess time will tell. Hopefully a solid weekend of rest and recovery will help me get back on the saddle.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I know that feel with motivation brah but you HAVE to think about the end results. Even though your not a d1 player to sof d2 players play professionally and you have been given an opportunity over the next 4 years to make your dream a reality. The days your not working another kid is, all of those 5 star recruits with 20+ scholarships didn't get it handed to them, they took it themselves because they're chasing a dream, and there probably going to do something today to get closer to that dream today! I know it's corny but how bad do you REALLY want it?
    Bench: 255lbs (115kg)
    Squat: 320lbs (145kg)
    Deadlift: 430lbs (195kg)

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." Vince Lombardi.

Today was a good, productive day. I'm seeing if being more productive on a daily basis will get me out of the slump I had last week. I stayed true to my word and actually foam rolled and stretched for the first time in forever tonight. Working tomorrow morning so my I will do sprints in the afternoon and my lifting at night. Will try to remember and post after every day this week. On my college lifting program I will be working out twice (lifting and some type of agility, plyos, sprinting, etc) every day except Wednesday, which I have off. It still amounts to eight workouts in a week which was what I was doing before. I might do ladders on Wednesday though because basically the program replaces my ladder workout with upper body plyos (all other sessions are the same though). Unlike last time, I'm not following the program 100%. I will be doing the program and then supplementary work on top of it (i.e. the upper body days don't include bis and tris which I will be doing, the lower doesn't include calves and traps which I will also be doing). Also skipping the core workouts they have (they basically have light core work all four days) and will do doing my regular core work schedule (Tuesdays and Thursdays). Basically I am taking advantage of the program and doing more on top to progress faster than the other players.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

MONDAY

Afternoon
    -Sprints
    -Conditioning

Night
    -College Workout

Two good sessions, felt good to get back on the grind. But tomorrow will be the real test (high intensity legs in the morning, lower body plyos at night). Will be using the Chris Jones pre-workout before lifting: instant coffee (~150mg caffeine), milk, banana, and some oats.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

TUESDAY

Morning
    -College Program Lower Body

Afternoon
    -Lower Body Plyos
    -4x12 Straight Bar Cable Shrugs
    -4x12 Barbell Calf Raises
    -4x6 Reverse Wood Chops SS Weighted Sit-Ups

Great day lifting! I hit the morning session hard and with good focus! Tomorrow I will be doing ladders with my weighted vest on.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

WEDNESDAY

Afternoon
    -Ladders with Weight Vest
    -4 Quarters Conditioning

Had another good session. Ladders were tough with the vest! For conditioning I did 6 50 yard sprints, 4 sets of 3 extending a blocking dummy then ripping the final rep and sprinting 10 yards, took a minute and a half rest, did 4 sets of 3 tire flips then sprint 10 yards, and then 6 times backpedaling up a 10 yard hill followed by a 35 yard sprint. Pretty tired after that but will be ready for tomorrow's upper body session in the morning and an upper body plyo session at night after work.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Three days in a row logged...new PR?

:P

Seriously though, glad to see you posting more. This log is fun to watch.

Originally Posted by LegitSalsa View Post
    Three days in a row logged...new PR?

:P

Seriously though, glad to see you posting more. This log is fun to watch.
    Or not. Lol.

Wednesday

Morning
    -Ladders
    -Conditioning

I move into college this Saturday and start football (actual practice) either Sunday or Monday. Still haven't started packing yet! I will post on this until the end of camp, and if I make the team I'm going to end this journal because technically that would be the end of the road to CFB. I may start a new journal, I may not. I will try and remember to update at least twice a week during camp though.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000) thenewguy23 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice to see you back, enjoy your college experience and work hard, I think you'll go far

By the way do you have a highlight tape from your senior year? I'm not sure if you've posted it or not

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will." Vince Lombardi.

Originally Posted by thenewguy23 View Post
    Nice to see you back, enjoy your college experience and work hard, I think you'll go far

By the way do you have a highlight tape from your senior year? I'm not sure if you've posted it or not
    I do not. My coach kept all Hudl film (even highlight videos) private to non-team members so that only people he sent them to could view them.

Also, I actually changed my mind and will try to remember to post everyday from now until the end of camp. I want to have a complete and fitting end to this journal. I will reveal my one big camp goal (besides making the team, obviously that's everyone's goal) on tomorrow's post.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

Ok, that's weird, looking at your stats and everything if you sent out your highlights to d1 teams yourself etc. im sure you'd get interest, even if you had to email every college and each individual football coach

Ok, that's weird, looking at your stats and everything if you sent out your highlights to d1 teams yourself etc. im sure you'd get interest, even if you had to email every college and each individual football coach
    I emailed about 5-6 of the D2 schools that play in the conference that the school I wanted to go played in but didn't hear back from any I believe. I had to purposely send multiple emails to my dream D2 school to get them to respond.
    5' 11", 225 lbs

Patience and Hard Work.

making a D1 football team is ridicously hard, and playing/starting is even harder.

I read somewhere the average bench press for a a d1 recruited rb was around 300 last year, and the average weight was 185ish I think. The squat was close to 400. Thats just weight lifting stuff. I know a guy who rushed for a bit less than 1500 yards and close to 8 yards a carry. Had to walk on to a d1aa school, than only made the practice squad. I know D2 is pretty much the same lifting wise, but a small decrease in football production.

Making the team for even a D3 college is a huge accomplishment.

I think the strength side is less difficult for athletes and less important since most may have been lifting before freshman year etc. but say if someone was freakishly fast then they automatically are getting looks. Looking on rivals most of the d1 bound defensive backs are amazingly strong but they're fast and have very good highlights