Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1713
    Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by drgephys View Post
    Bell0c, this is good news. It sounds like you're on the way to a good recovery but don't start intense physical activity or heavy lifting before 6 - 8 weeks. The tissue doesn't heal that fast.
    Thanks, Drgephys. No, I definitely won't do anything that requires any more core than elliptical. I won't touch a barbell till the 8 week mark, and I'll ease back in slowly then. The doctor suggested light yoga starting at around 4 weeks, so I may gently move into some stretching soon. As best as I can determine, the sutures should all be absorbed by around 6 weeks, so I figure getting the stretching going before the sutures are gone, but after the healing has gotten well underway, sounds about right.

Watching the healing process is interesting. The need for lots of extra sleep dropped off at about 2 weeks, discomfort dropped a lot here at 3 weeks, with the stronger feeling of being able to move around less carefully, more normally. Aside from that Day 3 morning, I never really felt awful - it's been more tightness and tenderness around the incisions, along with that icepick-plucking-a-banjo-string tweak on the left inguinal nerve that hit now and then. The majority of the discomfort now is when sitting upright, but that's fading day by day.

drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bell0c View Post
    As best as I can determine, the sutures should all be absorbed by around 6 weeks, so I figure getting the stretching going before the sutures are gone, but after the healing has gotten well underway, sounds about right.
    For what it's worth, it takes 91+ days (13+ weeks) for Monocryl and 56+ days (8+ weeks) for Vicryl sutures to be fully absorbed. (The same material in Monocryl is used for the absorbable fibers in the Ethicon Ultrapro Advanced half-absorbable mesh that was used in my open Lichtenstein hernia repair.)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocryl
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicryl

Intense physical activity and heavy lifting after 6 - 8 weeks should be OK according to the scientific-study-based recommendation. However, always listen to your body and stop if your body tells you no, as all doctors will say.
    Last edited by drgephys; 10-15-2018 at 08:07 PM.

Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bell0c has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For what it's worth, it takes 91+ days (13+ weeks) for Monocryl and 56+ days (8+ weeks) for Vicryl sutures to be fully absorbed. (The same material in Monocryl is used for the absorbable fibers in the Ethicon Ultrapro Advanced half-absorbable mesh that was used in my open Lichtenstein hernia repair.)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monocryl
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicryl

Intense physical activity and heavy lifting after 6 - 8 weeks should be OK according to the scientific-study-based recommendation. However, always listen to your body and stop if your body tells you no, as all doctors will say.
    Desarda specifies PDSII no.1 (Monofilament Polydioxanone violet monofilament) from Ethicon, which seems to absorb in about 6 weeks, from what I can tell.

drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) drgephys has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Desarda specifies PDSII no.1 (Monofilament Polydioxanone violet monofilament) from Ethicon, which seems to absorb in about 6 weeks, from what I can tell.
    PDS II is a slow-absorbing suture (slower than Monocryl and Vicryl) -- probably because the repair only relies on the suture and there is no mesh. With the mesh, the function of the suture is to hold the mesh in place and it doesn't do reinforcement. They say it's 182 - 238 days for PDS II to be fully absorbed. 6 weeks you mentioned is not for full absorption but 35% strength of the suture remaining:

(Copy and paste the link)
    hostedvl106.quosavl.com/cgi-isapi/server.dll?8080?IFUs?.cmt1bWFyMTJAaXRzLmpuai5jb20= ?GetOneDocPureFullTxt?lhit0tg2diak163n1rriqatuk4?8

I'm reposting the scientific study about the rest recommended:

(Post from 07-10-2018, 03:57 PM)
    I have finally been able to find a scientific study on when to start activities and lifting after hernia-repair surgery! It was done at the University of British Colombia in 2012, where they went through extensive literature. Anyone who is going through hernia-repair surgery and wondering when to start lifting weights should read it:

bcmj.org/articles/timing-return-work-after-hernia-repair-recommendations-based-literature-review

These are the recommendations in the conclusions:

The adoption of new technologies and techniques has challenged the practice of recommending a prolonged period of convalescence after hernia repair. However, it is clear from the sports-medicine literature and biomechanical studies that recommendations must be patient-centered and take into consideration both regular work activities and individual pain experience. Tensile forces sufficient to cause an early repair failure can be generated by lifting more than 10 kg (22 lb), and this risk persists up until 6 weeks after surgery. All patients should avoid coughing and strenuous activities such as jumping in this period.

For patients needing to lift more than 10 kg or perform other activities that generate a prolonged intraabdominal pressure of 50 to 60 mm Hg or more, the evidence supports 6 to 8 weeks of convalescence.

Intraabdominal pressures and tensile forces generated by various activities:

bcmj.org/sites/default/files/public/BCMJ_54Vol7_hernia_table1.JPG

Recommendations for time after the surgery before returning to various activities:

bcmj.org/sites/default/files/public/BCMJ_54Vol7_hernia_table2.JPG

In conclusion, this scientific study recommends lifting above 10 kg (22 lb) only 6 to 8 weeks after the surgery and not before that, regardless of the type of the hernia or repair method (see the second JPG image above).

Interesting read, thanks. Yeah, I'm not sure if they used the "4-0 and smaller" or "3-0 and larger," but in any case, it says "not to be used where prolonged (beyond six weeks) approximation of tissues under stress is required," so presumably they're not counting on it supplying meaningful support beyond that. Again, Desarda isn't a tension repair.

(Edit: the image on that page is upside down, so I missed the size chart. The No. 1 is "3-0 and larger" so it should still have 60% of its strength left after 6 wks. Doesn't really matter, but just to clarify.)

Yeah, 6-8 weeks is the standard recommendation for a return to lifting. Aside from a couple of people whose doctors apparently gave them a shorter timeline, that seems to be pretty well established.
    Last edited by Bell0c; 10-18-2018 at 06:57 AM. Reason: To add info

Btw, I still can't include links (don't have 50 posts), but I've copy/pasted the conclusions on the studies that come up on the first page of search results when you google "Desarda vs Lichtenstein." Thought you'd like to see them. There's lots more info on each study on the actual websites if you want to see what the conclusions are based on, of course, and lots more studies if you look around a bit using various search terms, as I mentioned before.

CONCLUSIONS: The results of primary inguinal hernia repair with the Desarda and Lichtenstein techniques are comparable at the 3-year follow-up. The technique may potentially increase the number of tissue-based methods available for treating groin hernias.

CONCLUSION: Successful inguinal hernia treatment without mesh implantation can be achieved using Desarda repair, as it is effective as the standard Lichtenstein procedure. Shorter operating time, early return to normal gait and lower cost (no mesh) are potential benefits of Desarda repair. The suitability of Desarda repair for patients found to have thin, weak or divided external oblique aponeurosis intraoperatively needs further evaluation.

Conclusions: Current evidence suggests that there is no difference between Desarda and Lichtenstein technique in short-term effectiveness. Further high-quality, long follow-up randomized controlled trials are needed to provide more reliable evidence.

Conclusions: Desarda repair scores significantly over the Lichtenstein repair. Morbidity due to complications and re-explorations for sepsis were significantly higher in mesh group. Period of return to normal work was also less in the Desarda group. No mesh Desarda repair is a better choice as compared with the Lichtenstein mesh repair.

Conclusions: Desarda repair had lower operative time, early return to basic and work activity, shorter hospital stay and less post-operative pain than Lichtenstein repair. The result of our study supports the use of Desarda repair in our hospitals as the method of choice for most of the patients due to low cost, low recurrence rate, and simplicity of repair.

CONCLUSION: Lichtenstein method of hernia repair is simple and safe. But the mesh prosthesis has its drawbacks. Desarda hernia repair is based on physiological principles and the results are good with less convalescence period and fewer recurrences and no chronic groin pain. It is more cost effective.

Bell0c, I hope the Desarda repair ends up working really well for you! As you know, recurrence and chronic pain are the most common complications of inguinal-hernia repair. The primary reason why a mesh is used is to prevent recurrence. Yes, the mesh could cause chronic pain but so can tissue repair.

The studies you mentioned are obviously done by Desarda himself or doctors who specialize on Desarda and take their conclusions with a grain of salt.

Lower cost? We don't live in a third-world country. A mesh costs perhaps about $100. It's nothing in comparison to the cost of hernia surgery in US, which runs around $10,000. Only 1% of the total cost! In a third-world country, the cost analysis would be different.

Shorter operative time? No. Open Lichtenstein has the shortest operative time of all. There is no tissue manipulation at all. The skin and external oblique are sliced. The hernia sack is reduced (a little more involved with an indirect hernia sac, which runs inside the spermatic cord), the mesh is put in place, sutures are placed on two sides, and the patient is closed. It's as simple as that. Desarda, Shouldice, etc. tissue repairs involve subtle tissue reconfigurations and take longer.

Early return to walking? Again, no. With Lichtenstein, severe pain is gone after two to three days, and you can go to work in no later than a week.

Based on physiological principles? What physiological principles? Desarda reconfigures your groin in an unnatural way. What part of it is based on physiological principles other than no foreign body being involved? The mesh on the other hand is simply intended to be part of your natural tissue -- no different than a filling in a tooth.

In fact, reading the Egyptian paper you mentioned, there is a very large percentage of Desarda (and Lichtenstein in that paper as well) reporting "altered sensation in the operated areas" and to a lesser extent "foreign-body sensation" and "stiffness of abdominal wall." I think other studies show lower numbers for Lichtenstein and if you compare the Desarda done by these Egyptian experts to Lichtenstein in other studies, the outcome doesn't seem as good as Lichtenstein done with Lichtenstein experts. As I repeatedly told you, my biggest reservation against Desarda is that since it alters your groin anatomy drastically, your groin could feel strange, unnatural, or uncomfortable in the long run.

Again, I hope everything goes well with you and keep reporting your progress. Unfortunately, there is no ideal hernia repair and all repairs have drawbacks. Yes, the mesh can also cause problems, as we know.

I'll report on my progress. I have lost so much strength but this is my second week in the gym and I pushed really hard on the Smith machine doing shoulder press yesterday -- and it felt good! It's annoying that most gyms don't have seated military press with a barbell these days or they have a very bad one if they do.

I had a large indirect hernia on the left side (it got large because I kept delaying the surgery) and it appears that the "dead space" (empty space where the hernia sack was) is still collecting some fluid and swelling a little after 4+ months. The accompanying discomfort and occasional dull pain is slight and doesn't affect daily activities and weightlifting though.
    Last edited by drgephys; 10-16-2018 at 04:42 PM.

The studies you mentioned are obviously done by Desarda himself or doctors who specialize on Desarda and take their conclusions with a grain of salt.
    Other than the fact that you disagree, on what do you base that accusation? Different doctors, different countries, different protocols, various years, and lots more studies available than I quoted, and you really think Desarda himself did the studies, or "Desarda experts" with an agenda? Again, what basis do you have for saying something so obviously silly? I copied the conclusions from the first six studies to pop up - you can do the searches yourself and find lots more. Desarda himself acknowledges training only Dr. Tomas specifically, and mentions that many doctors may be operating based on his videos. If we can make any reasonable assumption, it's that the doctors in the study were trained in mesh, as most doctors are, and that they picked up Desarda's method on the side. But the studies make no mention of that either way, so unless you have some inside information about a secret Desarda cabal infiltrating the world's medical schools, there's no reason not to take these clearly unrelated studies at face value. The only study I remember you mentioning in your many posts is one that describes mesh migrating. I would happily read from start to finish any studies you can reference that refute the conclusions mentioned above, if you can find any by doctors who haven't been brainwashed by Desarda's minions.

And you keep mentioning the DRASTIC ALTERATION OF THE GROIN by Desarda's method, as if sewing in a piece of cloth to create a big slab of scar tissue isn't a DRASTIC ALTERATION. It's not comparable to filling a tooth - it counts on the foreign body reaction to produce the scar tissue. Please tell me where to find the stories of nerve entrapment, mesh migration, infertility, weird infections years after the operation, etc., produced by the Desarda method. Show me where to find the lawsuits - there are bound to be some, since it's been around since 2001, and performed in this country since at least 2009.

You've written several pages of posts explicating what you believe is the best way to repair hernias, but you haven't provided any research backing up your opinions. When you first mentioned Desarda, you clearly didn't understand what it was, and though you seem to have done some rudimentary reading since I pointed out your mistakes, you still present information about it in strangely exclamatory terms (drastic alterations! slicing the abdomen!), while downplaying mesh (insert the mesh... part of your natural tissue...). You and I have already made our decisions and had our surgeries, but regardless of what our updates say, we're just two guys - the very definition of anecdotal. If you want to help other people decide what to do, tell them where to find the research that backs up your opinions. Statistical research isn't perfect, but it's more useful than a couple of dudes blowing smoke on a bodybuilding forum.

In the meantime, I do wish you the best with your recovery - I hope the progress continues.

4 Weeks (Day 28), bilateral direct hernia repaired by Desarda method.

I'll try to go to a once-a-week update for a while after today. Still just incremental improvement. Still walking around 3 miles a day, and it always feels good. Since the elliptical seemed like a good thing last Saturday, I've started walking slowly up the 24-step staircase two-at-a-time a few times every day at lunchtime after a walk. More scrunching and stretching than straight walking, and it feels fine. I'm not running or doing anything jerky. There's the odd small sharp pain now and then, especially where the inguinal block was on the left if a seam in my jeans ends up across it on a walk or something, but mainly it's just minor discomfort when sitting for extended periods, or when jeans rub a lot against the incision ridges. It still feels a little tight across the front, but not uncomfortably. Doctor's instructions say that I can start stretching at 4 weeks, so that should help. Looking forward to the gym tomorrow.

5 Weeks, bilateral direct hernia repaired by Desarda method.

Most discomfort is gone. I finally realized that what I thought was little prickly sensations from the internal suturing was actually little prickly sensations from the hairs along the incision ridges rubbing on the fabric of my underwear (shows you how minor it was). It sounds stupid, but I don't do much squatting, wearing a seatbelt, prolonged sitting, etc., naked, so misattributed the sensation. If I sit for a long time, I'll occasionally get the unscrunching sensation when I stand up, but that's going away, as is the tightness across the front, to the point that I'll notice it and then realize that I haven't noticed it in a long time. I did the press machine and the back pull machine at the gym last Saturday after playing around with the elliptical, stairmaster, "free stride," and treadmill for 20 minutes or so. No problems with any of them, but I have to admit that I find them all pretty boring. I've missed my walking a couple of times with the heavy rain we've had in the last couple of days. I'll keep doing the walks for at least the full 8 weeks, but the excitement I got for the first two or three weeks because I could feel strength and flexibility returning are long gone, which I guess is a good sign. Just gotta keep myself away from the free weights - hard when it feels like everything is better. About the only strong sensation I get that reminds me of the surgery now is sitting up quickly from lying down (like a sit-up) - it doesn't hurt, but just feels a little funny. I sneezed several times in the last week, no problem.

Magnacromion is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I had a bilateral inguinal hernia repair in January 2018. Before the surgery, I'd been living with the hernias for 5-10 years. There are a lot of stories from folks who have had bad experiences with hernia surgery, and these are very helpful – one should always know the risks of any procedure. I thought it might be nice to share my success story, to give a little bit back to the community that was so helpful to me.

The surgery: I had both sides repaired with mesh (Bard brand). The procedure was laparoscopic (TEP with three ports, to be exact), and I was under general anesthesia. The mesh was set with tacks, and the procedure was performed by the head of the general surgery department at my local teaching hospital. For pain/anxiety management, I was first offered an IV benzodiazepine (******, I think) to zonk me out. I recommend accepting this – you don't want to be sober for the pre-op. Then, the anesthesiologists did a nerve block on my abdomen. This is basically a local anesthetic. It helps with post-op pain, and it's critical if you (like me) want to minimize your use of opioid painkillers. It feels really uncomfortable going in, though – they poke you in the abs with some large needles. That's why you should take the benzos first. After that, I was wheeled into the OR. I was pretty loopy at this point. A few breaths from the mask and I was out cold. The surgery took about 90 minutes, I think. Next thing I remember, I wake up in the PACU. Felt like I'd had a nice nap. I had asked the anesthesiologist to deep extubate (remove the anesthesia tube while I was still out cold), so it was a nice, peaceful awakening. No memory of a tube in my throat. My throat felt a little hoarse, but no big deal. Much less sore than even from a mild cold. But after about five seconds or so, I felt a horrible burning just above my crotch. I was trying to do an opioid-free recovery, so I had asked the doctors to hang Toaradol (like IV ibuprofen) in the OR rather than ********. Unfortunately the Toradol wasn't enough. I toughed it out for about 10 minutes, but I was breathing shallow from the pain, and the PACU nurse said I should probably just take some drugs. I caved and let her push 12 μg of ******** (apparently a child's dose) and 0.2 mg of Dilaudid (a very small dose). This was enough to let me breathe normally, though it still hurt like a b****. This is an important point, I think: many people think the purpose of the pain meds is to allow a painless recovery. I disagree. Your body has taken a pretty severe insult. It is supposed to hurt. The pain meds are just there to help you push through and breathe normally. Just to take a little bit of the edge off.

After a while, they wheeled me out of the PACU and into the recovery area. They gave me a 5 mg oxycodone pill, and they let me eat some soda, ice cream, and crackers. The sugar tasted SO good. Here's the worst part: you have to be able to walk to the bathroom and take a leak before they let you leave. Sitting up hurt like hell. Standing up was even worse, and I was weak from the anesthetic. I had to use a walker and I almost passed out walking back to my bed. But I made it. Another hour or so and I stood up again, walked a lap around the room, and they cleared me to go home.

The first night was hell. I was groaning, and I had to wake up every four hours or so to take more oxy. But I made it through. By morning I was feeling a little better. I stopped taking the oxy after 7 doses (28 hours) because it was making me feel loopy and I was afraid of getting addicted. I got by okay with just ibuprofen, tylenol, and a little bit of *ahem* "herbal" remedies. I took a little more than a week off work, then I was back at it. (I have a desk job.) By that time, I could pretty much walk normally. It still hurt a bit, and I was tired, but I was more than half my normal self.

After about 5-6 weeks, I went back to the gym. Went light at first, and I had lost a decent amount of strength, but it didn't really hurt too much. Benching tugged on my abs in a way that hurt a little and threw off my balance. But I made it back. After a few months, I was back to normal. Better, in fact, because I didn't have to stop to stuff my guts back into my crotch anymore. Now, ten months later, sometimes I forget I've even had the surgery. Every once in a blue moon I'll get a twinge where I think the surgeon hit a nerve in my abs. But it's no big deal. Just feels funny more than anything else (not really painful), and I'd say it happens once a month at most. It goes away after a few seconds.

I don't regret the surgery one bit. Some folks will definitely have deleterious side effects – in some cases, life-altering side effects, but the numbers are on your side. For every one person who gets chronic pain, there are at least ten folks like me. I think we're just less likely to tell our stories because, well, our stories are frankly boring.

Best of luck to all you guys, no matter what decision you make, and here's wishing everyone a speedy recovery. Thanks again for your advice before my surgery. I'm happy to answer questions, but be warned that I don't log in that often.

ezzy227 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    5 Weeks, bilateral direct hernia repaired by Desarda method.

Most discomfort is gone. I finally realized that what I thought was little prickly sensations from the internal suturing was actually little prickly sensations from the hairs along the incision ridges rubbing on the fabric of my underwear (shows you how minor it was). It sounds stupid, but I don't do much squatting, wearing a seatbelt, prolonged sitting, etc., naked, so misattributed the sensation. If I sit for a long time, I'll occasionally get the unscrunching sensation when I stand up, but that's going away, as is the tightness across the front, to the point that I'll notice it and then realize that I haven't noticed it in a long time. I did the press machine and the back pull machine at the gym last Saturday after playing around with the elliptical, stairmaster, "free stride," and treadmill for 20 minutes or so. No problems with any of them, but I have to admit that I find them all pretty boring. I've missed my walking a couple of times with the heavy rain we've had in the last couple of days. I'll keep doing the walks for at least the full 8 weeks, but the excitement I got for the first two or three weeks because I could feel strength and flexibility returning are long gone, which I guess is a good sign. Just gotta keep myself away from the free weights - hard when it feels like everything is better. About the only strong sensation I get that reminds me of the surgery now is sitting up quickly from lying down (like a sit-up) - it doesn't hurt, but just feels a little funny. I sneezed several times in the last week, no problem.
    Good to hear about your progress. I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Tomas November 9th (Desarda fix). I'm in my upper 40s, never had surgery of any kind before so I'm anxious as hell about the whole thing! Your updates are giving me some hope that I won't be in for weeks of intense pain/suffering!

Originally Posted by ezzy227 View Post
    Good to hear about your progress. I'm scheduled for surgery with Dr. Tomas November 9th (Desarda fix). I'm in my upper 40s, never had surgery of any kind before so I'm anxious as hell about the whole thing! Your updates are giving me some hope that I won't be in for weeks of intense pain/suffering!
    Hey, Ezzy, that's good news. I think you'll find they've got the whole process really dialed in. Aside from wisdom teeth years ago, I've never had surgery either, but it was all a breeze, in and out. Just have your food waiting at the hotel and be ready to do some reading, TV watching, and frequent walking. There isn't really a lot of severe pain with this method (in my experience, anyway), but I do think it takes time for the ridges (where the rows of sutures are) to resolve (internal as well as external), so you do feel "something" there for a while. The body is reacting to and dissolving the sutures for a while, too. Really, about the worst I can say at this point is that if I don't do any walking for a day or two and spend lots of time sitting, it feels tight when I stand up for a minute or two.

I really look forward to hearing how things go for you and what your impression of the process is. I'm happy to answer any specific questions you have.

flanaganshane is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I’m about 7 months out from my hernia surgery, lap with mesh. I’ve had an amazing summer full of DH mountain biking, whitewater rafting, flag football, softball and lifting.

I haven’t had a single issue or even the slightest of pain in the area. I will admit that I have yet went back to heavy leg workouts and I may never, not necessarily in fear of another hernia or a reacurrance but mainly because my legs were tree trunks prior and I now feel faster and agile.

I will continue to update and hope the ones who follow nothing but the best of luck!

Originally Posted by flanaganshane View Post
    I’m about 7 months out from my hernia surgery, lap with mesh. I’ve had an amazing summer full of DH mountain biking, whitewater rafting, flag football, softball and lifting.

I haven’t had a single issue or even the slightest of pain in the area. I will admit that I have yet went back to heavy leg workouts and I may never, not necessarily in fear of another hernia or a reacurrance but mainly because my legs were tree trunks prior and I now feel faster and agile.

I will continue to update and hope the ones who follow nothing but the best of luck!
    That's an awesome result! Were you pain-free from the beginning? And how long did you wait to go back to lifting?

Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Estrid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    about 1.5 years ago, i suddenly felt this dull ache on my right pelvis area around the pubic hair region. it suddenly came after i came back from jogging. no bulge or anything, but i went to get it check and it was a hernia. did the lapa procedure and it was done.

back to yesteday, now i felt a similar pain on my left side :/
    “I do it because I can,
    I can because I want to,
    I want to because you said I couldn't.” -Unknown

“I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then live with that decision.” - Eleanor Roosevelt

I live by the quote 'No Pain, No Gain'.

I'm NOT gonna let PE affect me!

Originally Posted by Estrid View Post
    about 1.5 years ago, i suddenly felt this dull ache on my right pelvis area around the pubic hair region. it suddenly came after i came back from jogging. no bulge or anything, but i went to get it check and it was a hernia. did the lapa procedure and it was done.

back to yesteday, now i felt a similar pain on my left side :/
    I guess I'm the current de facto welcome wagon. Bummer if you've got another one, man. At least that you know what to expect, and that should be the last one. Here's hoping the second one goes as smoothly as the first...

6 weeks (plus 2 days), bilateral hernia repaired by Desarda method

2 days late on my Friday update. I washed my bike last Saturday. It took 2 hours, with lots of kneeling, squatting, tugging at the hose, scrubbing in all positions, etc. I didn't think of it as an activity that would impact the area much, but I had a small stitch on the left side that lasted for a few seconds as I was coming back in the house, and the front area just generally felt tired, to the point where I didn't really want to go to the gym. No lasting issues, just tiring. More or less the same this Saturday at the gym. I did a few minutes on the elliptical, then went and did 5 sets of 12 reps on the leg press, 5x12 on the bench, and 5x12 on the lat pull-down. I usually do 3x5, heavy (for me), but I stayed light, and made a point of seeing if it was possible to do each exercise without tensing up my core. I tried pull-ups, but I couldn't comfortably do them without tensing up. When I was done, the area was tired again. No issues, but tired. I'm a little sore today, but it was nice to actually do something. Still walking at least once or twice daily.

Best of luck today, Ezzy - hope to hear from you soon.

7 weeks, bilateral hernia repaired by Desarda method

I guess I'll go to less frequent updates, maybe every couple of weeks or so as I get back to real lifting next week. Basically everything is the same as before, just a little less so. There's a slight tightness that I feel sometimes that lessens week by week, an occasional mild tweak from the location of the left inguinal block when there's pressure on it, an occasional sensitivity from the incision ridges when something rubs against them. I forgot to mention that last Friday without thinking I wore a pair of jeans that are tighter than my other ones. As I sat at my desk all day, they put uncomfortable pressure across the front of my l lap. I walked when I got home and all was well, but it was a reminder that the area - the incision ridges in particular, I think - is still not completely normal. Since last Saturday I've twice done bench and pull-ups - light weight, many reps on bench; slow, smooth pull-ups with my legs held up at 90 degrees. It's more comfortable to hold the legs up rather than trying to hang there limp, and I did several sets of 5 or 6 without strain.

I can definitely see where the lap mesh procedure would have a shorter recovery time with few incisions to heal. I'm not sure how the scar tissue formation on or around the mesh works, or whether a lot of movement destabilizes anything till it does, but with no large cuts in the muscle wall as with open mesh and Desarda, you can see how there would be less loss of strength. I think I would still choose it last of the three options, but I can see the advantages, too.

Desarda hernia repair done today (11/9/18) by Dr Robert Tomas in Ft. Myers. Just relaxing back at the hotel with an ice pack. Bell0c has done an excellent job detailing the process and his recovery. Not sure I have the patience to do the the same, but if i encounter anything significantly different than Bell0c, I’ll do my best to check back in.

Desarda hernia repair done today (11/9/18) by Dr Robert Tomas in Ft. Myers. Just relaxing back at the hotel with an ice pack. Bell0c has done an excellent job detailing the process and his recovery. Not sure I have the patience to do the the same, but if i encounter anything significantly different than Bell0c, I’ll do my best to check back in.
    Hey, man, glad to hear you're done - best wishes for a speedy recovery! I'll be interested to hear if there are any significant differences in your experience.

Thanks man, will certainly post if I have anything new to add. These personal experiences in this thread were very helpful to me. Just to post some positive info for anyone nervous about the surgery process itself (I never had surgery and was worried) - the surgery was an absolute breeze. The drugs before they put you under make you feel real damn good! Next thing I knew I was awake, clear-head, no nausea and not much pain (maybe level 2-3). Heck, I often feel much worse just getting up early to go to work! I know the next few days could be really rough, but fingers crossed.

Thanks man, will certainly post if I have anything new to add. These personal experiences in this thread were very helpful to me. Just to post some positive info for anyone nervous about the surgery process itself (I never had surgery and was worried) - the surgery was an absolute breeze. The drugs before they put you under make you feel real damn good! Next thing I knew I was awake, clear-head, no nausea and not much pain (maybe level 2-3). Heck, I often feel much worse just getting up early to go to work! I know the next few days could be really rough, but fingers crossed.
    Yeah, same for me - reading through this was the most useful reading I did. You can read about procedures all day long and not really get an idea of what it's going to be like. My pre- and post-op were about like yours, except that I don't remember feeling anything pre-op. The nurse put the IV in my arm and they wheeled me into the operating room after a few minutes. I don't think I felt anything till they added something to the drip and next thing I knew I was waking up. Like you, no trouble waking. If nothing else, I'm glad to have avoided general anesthetic. Anyway, walk, walk, walk. When he checked me out that Monday after, I had no swelling or redness and he commented that all that walking was probably responsible. The worst should be over before you head home. Good luck!

Day 4 Desarda repair by Dr. Robert Tomas in Ft. Myers

Quick update for anyone wanting more information about Desarda recovery. My experience has been a little different than Bell0c. As reported earlier the day of surgery was a breeze, but things went downhill about 12-18 hours afterwards. I experienced a truck-load of pain the night after the surgery that persisted through the weekend. It was rough - burning, stabbing intense pain that made it near impossible to move. Thanks goodness my wife was with me, otherwise I don't know how I could have gotten out of bed! I committed to getting out of bed every few hours, but it brought tears to my eyes. As Bell0c mentioned, Dr. Tomas does not prescribe any opioids for pain and the stuff they gave me did absolutely nothing. By Monday, the intense pain was subsiding. My post-op appointment went fine (minimal swelling and bruising) and I was able to make an 8 hour car ride home (with my wife driving and me with an ice pack on my groin the whole time). It's now Tuesday, and I feel a lot better and can move around the house pretty well.

The reason for posting is not to bitch and moan about my pain and scare anyone from Desarda with Dr. Tomas. If I am pain-free and hernia-free 2 years from now, it will be worth it. But, knowing what I know now, I would adamantly demand a 3 day prescription for some real pain-killers. Not everyone will need them, but I sure as hell did!

Day 4 Desarda repair by Dr. Robert Tomas in Ft. Myers

Quick update for anyone wanting more information about Desarda recovery. My experience has been a little different than Bell0c. As reported earlier the day of surgery was a breeze, but things went downhill about 12-18 hours afterwards. I experienced a truck-load of pain the night after the surgery that persisted through the weekend. It was rough - burning, stabbing intense pain that made it near impossible to move. Thanks goodness my wife was with me, otherwise I don't know how I could have gotten out of bed! I committed to getting out of bed every few hours, but it brought tears to my eyes. As Bell0c mentioned, Dr. Tomas does not prescribe any opioids for pain and the stuff they gave me did absolutely nothing. By Monday, the intense pain was subsiding. My post-op appointment went fine (minimal swelling and bruising) and I was able to make an 8 hour car ride home (with my wife driving and me with an ice pack on my groin the whole time). It's now Tuesday, and I feel a lot better and can move around the house pretty well.

The reason for posting is not to bitch and moan about my pain and scare anyone from Desarda with Dr. Tomas. If I am pain-free and hernia-free 2 years from now, it will be worth it. But, knowing what I know now, I would adamantly demand a 3 day prescription for some real pain-killers. Not everyone will need them, but I sure as hell did!
    Man, Ezzy, I'm really sorry to hear that. Thanks for the update. Sounds like my day-3 morning for a full two or three days. Questions: How was it when you were settled into bed, and when you were up and walking? I remember getting up being the worst (not bad if my technique was perfect, but painful if it wasn't), but sitting and walking were ok. Also, did you ever call that emergency number? I never had reason, but wondered what kind of help I'd get if I did.

I'm glad it's improved, and I hope it stays that way. Make sure to check in.

Mini week-7.5-ish update as long as I'm here:
    I did more at the gym on Saturday than previously. Again stayed very light and high rep, but did bench, overhead, pull-ups, leg press, and seated rows. I again tried to avoid anything that strained the core, though pull-ups and overhead kept it somewhat tight. But in the three days since, I've had some prickly sensations here and there, and a couple of times a sharp pain getting up from lying on my side. Also, the scrunchy feeling has increased a bit. Basically it feels like I've regressed a week or two. So I guess that means to quit pushing it...

Man, Ezzy, I'm really sorry to hear that. Thanks for the update. Sounds like my day-3 morning for a full two or three days. Questions: How was it when you were settled into bed, and when you were up and walking? I remember getting up being the worst (not bad if my technique was perfect, but painful if it wasn't), but sitting and walking were ok. Also, did you ever call that emergency number? I never had reason, but wondered what kind of help I'd get if I did.

I'm glad it's improved, and I hope it stays that way. Make sure to check in.

Mini week-7.5-ish update as long as I'm here:
    I did more at the gym on Saturday than previously. Again stayed very light and high rep, but did bench, overhead, pull-ups, leg press, and seated rows. I again tried to avoid anything that strained the core, though pull-ups and overhead kept it somewhat tight. But in the three days since, I've had some prickly sensations here and there, and a couple of times a sharp pain getting up from lying on my side. Also, the scrunchy feeling has increased a bit. Basically it feels like I've regressed a week or two. So I guess that means to quit pushing it...
    In response to your questions, no I did not call the emergency number, but in retrospect maybe I should have. I was to the point where is was hard to even breathe it hurt so bad. The worst pain was triggered by getting up/down and did not go away when walking (which I tried to do for 10 minutes when I got up). When laying down, I could get my pain level down after about ten minutes (ice packs and meditation) and i could rest comfortably until it was time to move again. Fortunately, I feel so much better today -- a big difference from yesterday and a huge difference from 48 hours ago. I stopped the Gabapentin yesterday, but will continue with the ibuprofen.

Sounds like two steps forward, one step back for you. Sorry. Still good to hear you feel comfortable trying to get back into some really light lifting at 7ish weeks. I'm definitely expecting a long, slow recovery

In response to your questions, no I did not call the emergency number, but in retrospect maybe I should have. I was to the point where is was hard to even breathe it hurt so bad. The worst pain was triggered by getting up/down and did not go away when walking (which I tried to do for 10 minutes when I got up). When laying down, I could get my pain level down after about ten minutes (ice packs and meditation) and i could rest comfortably until it was time to move again. Fortunately, I feel so much better today -- a big difference from yesterday and a huge difference from 48 hours ago. I stopped the Gabapentin yesterday, but will continue with the ibuprofen.

Sounds like two steps forward, one step back for you. Sorry. Still good to hear you feel comfortable trying to get back into some really light lifting at 7ish weeks. I'm definitely expecting a long, slow recovery
    Thanks for the additional info. Man, that sounds miserable. It's great that things have improved so quickly for you. I tried quitting the gabapentin after a few days, but immediately went back on it till the full 10 days was up. Yeah, I think long and slow is it. I'm surprised how much difference walking still makes. A couple of times daily and I'm noticeably more comfortable. Miss walking for weather or whatever and I feel the difference. Hang in there (and avoid tight pants).

Hi ezzy227,

No matter what anyone says, the first 72 hours after surgery is miserable, regardless of the method of repair!

In my case I didn't have anyone to help me and also had three cats to feed and clean their litter boxes. You're lucky to have a wife.

Screaming helps. Opioids help. I'm one of those guys who don't feel any effects of opioids (like drowsiness) other than some reduction in pain; so, I have zero chance of getting addicted but I understand different people have different reactions. I only took them for three days and the pain was no big deal afterwards.

About my recovery: It's been more than five months and I'm pushing fairly hard in the gym now. The repair doesn't affect my workouts at all -- no pain or discomfort when lifting -- in fact, it's better than when I had the hernia with the bulging groin.

However, the swelling in my groin below the incision still remains. It looks like a small hernia. It causes small discomfort and sometimes very mild pain. It's unlikely that it's a hernia. It's probably fluid collection either because of the dead space (space left after the hernia is gone) or body's reaction to the mesh. It's annoying though because I thought my groin would be completely flat by now. We read mesh horror studies such as the mesh eating away your spermatic cord eventually. Hopefully, the swelling will go away within a year and the body will not try to disintegrate the mesh and cause it to migrate into tissues and organs. By the way, the two-inch-long incision well below the briefs line looks perfect other than some darkening, which is normal during the first year.

Biggest lesson: In hindsight, the 4 months I took off from the gym was too long. I got very weak and it feels very frustrating to gain the strength back. Sometimes, I feel that I will never be able to gain my previous strength back. Therefore, I recommend that people should go back to the gym 8 weeks after surgery and start their lifting without any restriction. I think the first three months, I was still OK but I got out of shape in the fourth month. I gained 5 or more pounds of fat as well.
    Last edited by drgephys; 11-15-2018 at 03:37 PM.

LiamKyler23 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi, I have been noticing for the past couple weeks that when I do over head presses and lat pull downs I feel a tugging sensation inside the lower left abdomen. There is no pain or swelling in that region. Is this cause for concern or normal. Please let me know

Originally Posted by LiamKyler23 View Post
    Hi, I have been noticing for the past couple weeks that when I do over head presses and lat pull downs I feel a tugging sensation inside the lower left abdomen. There is no pain or swelling in that region. Is this cause for concern or normal. Please let me know
    I'm not sure anyone here is qualified to give an informed answer. I'm certainly not. I don't know if a doctor could without a proper look. It does seem that hernias are usually associated with a bump or two in the groin area, or down in the scrotal area, so if the tugging sensation continues, or if you notice anything that wasn't there before, you might want to have it checked out.

Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 ... LastLast