View Poll Results: Was I helpful to you on passing the NASM?

Voters
226. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

210 92.92%
  • No

16 7.08%
Page 41 of 43 FirstFirst ... 31 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,230 of 1283
    TomDino is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Passed NASM!

I took the NASM exam today and I found it to be pretty easy, maybe because I am in currently in school for kinesiology. But what I found most useful for myself were the two practice exams included in the self study, I got to the point where I was getting 90-100 on these tests and got myself familiar with the information and restudied the information that I got wrong. I had a few questions that were very similar to the practice exams, but be careful because some of the questions were worded slightly differently from the practice exam and threw me off a bit. Honestly my main advice for studying for the NASM exam is to work through the practice exams and study up on the concepts that you got wrong.

Aside from the practice exams, some of the concepts from the exam that I feel are important are:
    - Chapter 16 in general, I had a quite few questions about the TTM model, self-monitoring, goal setting, etc.
    - Chapter 9 the fitness assessment chapter, there were a bunch of questions about under and overactive muscles in the overhead squat and single leg squat and about the other fitness assessments in general (LEFT, Rockport, Shark, etc.)
    - Different kinds of stretching and how long to hold certain stretches
    - familiarity with potential regression and progression exercises, as well as what exercises fall in what phase of training
    - special populations (people with diseases, pregnant women, elderly, etc.) and specific exercises they can and cannot do

A little disclaimer, this is what stood out to me on the exam there is obviously a lot more to the exam than this, but everything other than what I stated above I felt relatively comfortable with considering I have a healthy background in terms of personal training, and I do feel that the exam covers most of the concepts in the textbook, so I wouldn't recommend neglecting any portion of the textbook. And also remember this was just my experience taking NASM, and seems to me reading through this thread that people experience something that is different from mine.

Good luck to everyone studying!

JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000)
    Got my NASM book last Friday. Just the self study program. I'll be looking over this thread religiously. Any tips/advice ya'll have for me?
    *Georgia Crew*
    *Eats Eggs Every Day Crew*
    *Remembering Zyzz Crew*
    *Getting Huge Crew*
    *Does German Volume Training for Legs Crew*

JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000) JitteryJoes is just really nice. (+1000)
    Been making a crap ton of flash cards and reading up on sections of each Chapter. 140 flashcards so far and only on Chapter 4. I plan on acing this exam in a month or two. This is itching me to go back and get my Associates in Nursing or just go to a bachelors of nursing program (I'm already at a state University).

Researching about the pay scale of PTs is not good. I make 10.8/h now and get overtime with my job. Wouldn't be surprised if I make about the same as a PT at a globogym considering the amount of clients they may only get weekly.

At least it's sparking my interest anatomy/physiology again.
    *Georgia Crew*
    *Remembering Zyzz Crew*
    *Getting Huge Crew*

DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DrWilliam has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm looking on the NASM website right now and it shows $559.20 for the self study. That comes with all the textbooks and everything right? Would most of you say that the self study materials were enough to pass the exam as long as you actually put the time and effort in?

aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by DrWilliam View Post
    I'm looking on the NASM website right now and it shows $559.20 for the self study. That comes with all the textbooks and everything right? Would most of you say that the self study materials were enough to pass the exam as long as you actually put the time and effort in?
    I personally went with Guided Study and am struggling to get my scores on the practice exam to the required 80%...but this is coming from an individual with diagnosed Attention Deficit-Hyperactivity disorder who never did well with conventional learning. I would assume the vast majority of the population who does take the time to read would do just fine on Self Study.
    "Never avoid opportunities. They may come in any form." - Carl Allen, Yes Man
    NASM CPT and NPC Bikini Competitor

junkfoodfittie.wordpress.com
    My Journal:http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172513881
    FB/Instagram/Twitter: @jcooliegirl

drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) drewkocak is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yes, definitely.
    NASM CPT / Online Coach (PM Me)
    PRs: 307B / 420S / 565ConvDL / 520SumoDL

Latest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLz3VXY1uHU

Yes. I bought the self study a few weeks ago. If you have a background in exercise science or have taken Anatomy/Physiology 1 and 2 in college or have some basic understanding of how the human body works, you'll be just fine.

Honestly, just read the chapters and make flash cards. I'm only on Chapter 5 but have over 200 flash cards already. I'd rather know the stuff inside and out than just skim through. After all, it's learning about how the human body works. Who wouldn't want to learn about that?

Look at it this way, it's like learning a new language.

I don't get this society. There are no bookmarks or cheat sheets to anything. It's like people hate learning about new things. Being smart is awesome because it gets you paid or it makes you feel more confident in yourself knowing certain things that other people don't.
    *Georgia Crew*
    *Remembering Zyzz Crew*
    *Getting Huge Crew*

From Bones to Brawn SkinnyBeast24's Avatar
    SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) SkinnyBeast24 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Easily enough. Read every chapter and take your own notes. Study those chapters. Study the chapters you do not feel as confident in. Memorize the **** out of the imbalance chart with upper cross, lower cross, and knocked knees. Know your objective and subjective measurements.

Understand the 5 stages in NASM-OPT model and when you would use certain exercises. If you read the book and take notes, it is honestly impossible to fail.

I murdered that test, but put in about 4-6 hours a day for 2 months straight.

Motivated me to get my M.S. which I am now 75% done with b/c I finally believed I could handle what lives in the house of physiology, anatomy, etc.

Currently getting raped by my professor trying to write up chapters 1 and 3 of my thesis, but nothing stopping this train.
    Bench 315x1 - Squat 415x1 - Deadlift 515x1 Total = 1,245

3/4/5 Club as of 8-23-2019. Feels good man.

M.S. Exercise Science (2018)
    Certified by: NSCA C.S.C.S, NASM-CPT

6'5 Manmore, 230 pounds, 15% body-fat (Bod Pod tested)

COLTS (football) - Lakers (LeGOAT) - Indians (Baseball) - Uconn Huskies (college) - USA Soccer

Originally Posted by SkinnyBeast24 View Post
    Easily enough. Read every chapter and take your own notes. Study those chapters. Study the chapters you do not feel as confident in. Memorize the **** out of the imbalance chart with upper cross, lower cross, and knocked knees. Know your objective and subjective measurements.

Understand the 5 stages in NASM-OPT model and when you would use certain exercises. If you read the book and take notes, it is honestly impossible to fail.

I murdered that test, but put in about 4-6 hours a day for 2 months straight.

Motivated me to get my M.S. which I am now 75% done with b/c I finally believed I could handle what lives in the house of physiology, anatomy, etc.

Currently getting raped by my professor trying to write up chapters 1 and 3 of my thesis, but nothing stopping this train.
    Keep it up breh. I'm on Chapter 5 - Nutrition. I have over 200 flash cards already and reading the chapters. By the time I finish, I'll easily have over 1,000 flash cards LOL.

I better pass this. I'm trying to do a chapter a day at the least so I can take the test in two weeks or so. That's pushing it to be honest.

pillburydough has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Any help for the 5th edition book? Currently on chapter 3 and wondering if there's any future stuff I won't have to deeply study? Like chapter 4 is the muscular system and all that, is a lot of that on the tesr? And how about all the joints and bones?

Originally Posted by pillburydough View Post
    Any help for the 5th edition book? Currently on chapter 3 and wondering if there's any future stuff I won't have to deeply study? Like chapter 4 is the muscular system and all that, is a lot of that on the tesr? And how about all the joints and bones?
    Read the damn book! They actually have a study guide on it in the online portion they give you, along with chapter quizzes and a final practice test that you can take as many times as you want.
    *Georgia Crew*
    *Remembering Zyzz Crew*
    *Getting Huge Crew*

RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) RachelsMantra has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    If I took the practice test and got 80% correct how far off am I from being prepared to take the real thing? I feel pretty good about it but I am a perfectionist and want to really ace this exam.

Originally Posted by RachelsMantra View Post
    If I took the practice test and got 80% correct how far off am I from being prepared to take the real thing? I feel pretty good about it but I am a perfectionist and want to really ace this exam.
    You're good to go. I'd honestly just take the domain quizzes too to be more prepared.
    *Georgia Crew*
    *Remembering Zyzz Crew*
    *Getting Huge Crew*

aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) aquamarine84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I only got a 75 on the online final but at least 10 of the questions I missed were on behavior change. I've re-read that chapter 3 times in the past 12 hours. My exam is at 1pm Eastern. Wish me luck.

Originally Posted by aquamarine84 View Post
    I only got a 75 on the online final but at least 10 of the questions I missed were on behavior change. I've re-read that chapter 3 times in the past 12 hours. My exam is at 1pm Eastern. Wish me luck.
    What is the online final? Is that included in the self study or was that an online portion you bought with the program? I'v taken the practice test multiple times. Taken the study guide exam multiple times too. Getting mostly B's with a few A's.

I'll read up on the study guide for that chapter. Seems like there's always a few questions on the final exam in regards to the behavioral section.

Let me know how the test goes and what to study on or any tips you can give.

Originally Posted by JitteryJoes View Post
    What is the online final? Is that included in the self study or was that an online portion you bought with the program? I'v taken the practice test multiple times. Taken the study guide exam multiple times too. Getting mostly B's with a few A's.

I'll read up on the study guide for that chapter. Seems like there's always a few questions on the final exam in regards to the behavioral section.

Let me know how the test goes and what to study on or any tips you can give.
    I did guided study and there were 2 practice exams and the Final, which required an 80% passing score to get the exam pass guarantee. I passed the in person though! Probably by the skin of my teeth but I passed.

The other 2 things I can recommend studying are assessments and overactive/underactive muscles and what exercises fall into what category. There was one very specific question about what muscle needed to be stretched...I think it may have been a research question because both Gluteus Maximus and Gluteus Medius were listed. In any case, I picked maximus because it's probably the easier muscle to statically stretch

Awesome thanks. I'll take the test this Friday.
    *Georgia Crew*
    *Remembering Zyzz Crew*
    *Getting Huge Crew*

vanessafit10 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by aquamarine84 View Post
    I did guided study and there were 2 practice exams and the Final, which required an 80% passing score to get the exam pass guarantee. I passed the in person though! Probably by the skin of my teeth but I passed.

The other 2 things I can recommend studying are assessments and overactive/underactive muscles and what exercises fall into what category. There was one very specific question about what muscle needed to be stretched...I think it may have been a research question because both Gluteus Maximus and Gluteus Medius were listed. In any case, I picked maximus because it's probably the easier muscle to statically stretch
    Is there anything else you can remember that really helped you? I will take my test in a month and could use all the tips I can get. I also have the guided study and have found that the exam prep course is really helpful. What helped you the most on the guided study?

Originally Posted by vanessafit10 View Post
    Is there anything else you can remember that really helped you? I will take my test in a month and could use all the tips I can get. I also have the guided study and have found that the exam prep course is really helpful. What helped you the most on the guided study?
    What I did all weekend: Take the study guide and quiz yourself on every term.

AustinSeivold is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hi my name is Austin Seivold and I am an intern for a company in Spain called Entrenarme. What entrenarme does is that is helps connect trainers with trainees. Entrenarme is the largest community of trainers and fitness centers worldwide. It is the go-to place for those who seek the services of professional personal trainers. Currently you can find us in Spain, Chile, UK and USA and soon in the rest of Latin America and Europe. More than 2 million users visit our website every year. We are now expanding to the UK so we want more people to see this great service and help people get connected with personal trainers. If anyone is interested in expanding your network and connecting with more people to train. Please check out the website and look into our great service. Our website: entrenar.me Trust me you wont regret checking out this amazing service.

So apparently I have to have my CPR/AED cert on hand before taking the NASM PT test. Did you guys take the online one or did you take a class to make sure it was 'work place approved OSHA certified' thing?
    *Georgia Crew*
    *Remembering Zyzz Crew*
    *Getting Huge Crew*

So apparently I have to have my CPR/AED cert on hand before taking the NASM PT test. Did you guys take the online one or did you take a class to make sure it was 'work place approved OSHA certified' thing?
    You can't take an online one. Mine's through Diver's Alert Network and I got drilled on it even though I checked with NASM before the test. It has to have a hands on component. The Red Cross offers it for cheap, or do what I did and get it for free through work

easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) easty23 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Passed my exam on the first try

-I read all the chapters in the book
    -took all the online quizzes and test multiple times
    -wrote down the questions i got wrong and reviewed those topics till I felt comfortable

The exam has a lot of questions on the overhead squat assessment, just memorize the Overhead Squat Assessment Chart and you will be good!

midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

?

how close to the practice quizzes and tests (in the online materials guide) are questions on test?

I read all chapters, took all quizzes, reviewed all quizzes, took and reviewed all domain quizzes and just retook the CPT Study Exam again (99/100) this time.

Do you think I am prepared?

Thanks in advance take my test tomorrow.

Originally Posted by midflfitclub2 View Post
    how close to the practice quizzes and tests (in the online materials guide) are questions on test?

I read all chapters, took all quizzes, reviewed all quizzes, took and reviewed all domain quizzes and just retook the CPT Study Exam again (99/100) this time.

Do you think I am prepared?

Thanks in advance take my test tomorrow.
    Let me know how you do.

I'm thinking about buying the NASM pocket prep app? It has 500 questions and is $15. Have had read the reviews and it looks solid.

midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) midflfitclub2 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Let me know how you do.

I'm thinking about buying the NASM pocket prep app? It has 500 questions and is $15. Have had read the reviews and it looks solid.
    I passed. Some of the questions were exactly from the Domain quizzes and final exam quizzes. Many literally the same question. Probably about 2 questions that I was like "i have no idea". Most of them I felt good on. All I did was read each chapter and spent a week reviewing with the online tools. Granted, I have quite a bit of background knowledge, so that made it much easier. Thanks for this thread it really helped and good luck to the rest of you in your endeavors.

Originally Posted by midflfitclub2 View Post
    I passed. Some of the questions were exactly from the Domain quizzes and final exam quizzes. Many literally the same question. Probably about 2 questions that I was like "i have no idea". Most of them I felt good on. All I did was read each chapter and spent a week reviewing with the online tools. Granted, I have quite a bit of background knowledge, so that made it much easier. Thanks for this thread it really helped and good luck to the rest of you in your endeavors.
    Awesome, good stuff!!! Congrats man!

I'll be retaking the quizzes, domain quizzes, practice test, and study guide test multiple times over the weekend till my Test on Monday at 11. Hopefully I'll be OK.
    *Georgia Crew*
    *Remembering Zyzz Crew*
    *Getting Huge Crew*

LoveAndTruth7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Please E-mail me your notes

Hi Alice, I take my test the day after tomorrow. I would love for you to email me anything that could help me pass the NASM cpt test. My email is garrettnelove@yahoo.com - Thank you so very much - Nathan Garrett
    Nathan Garrett

LoveAndTruth7 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Alice, I take my test the day after tomorrow. Could you please email me anything that would help me pass the NASM cpt exam. I would be so very thankful. My email is garrettnelove@yahoo.com - Thank you Nathan Garrett
    Nathan Garrett

I failed the test by 2 points, a 68. Pretty upset about it. There were a lot of questions on there that I barely understood.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to do? Re-read the chapters? I'm totally lost here and depressed about failing it.
    *Georgia Crew*
    *Remembering Zyzz Crew*
    *Getting Huge Crew*