Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000) jules_d1 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by blapblapblow View Post
    I wonder if i should fee sorry for all the trainers out there who brag about having a degree and a certification, and neither piece of paper has gotten them nowhere as a trainer, pretty much a bust

But i do give props out there to the trainers who just have a certification and have gone off to do very well for themselves

just don't know what all the hype is about having a degree when it comes to a PT? It's usually the trainers who wasted money on a degree to talk down on the trainers who just have a certification. Maybe the trainers with a degree feel they are better because they have one?

A trainer only needs a certification, if anything. No degree is needed to become successful as a trainer

so you are saying getting a degree is a waste of time?

hattrickinc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    my turn my turn!!

I go to 24 hour fitness where they say they hire "Only the best trainers, complete with a wide range of certifications"

..I have plenty of pictures of them eating McDonalds.
    ..And their all fat..

I've only listened to two bodybuilders my whole life,
    sadly only because they LOOKED like they knew wtf they were talking about.

neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I wonder if i should fee sorry for all the trainers out there who brag about having a degree and a certification, and neither piece of paper has gotten them nowhere as a trainer, pretty much a bust

But i do give props out there to the trainers who just have a certification and have gone off to do very well for themselves

just don't know what all the hype is about having a degree when it comes to a PT? It's usually the trainers who wasted money on a degree to talk down on the trainers who just have a certification. Maybe the trainers with a degree feel they are better because they have one?

A trainer only needs a certification, if anything. No degree is needed to become successful as a trainer
    Actually, you do need that piece of paper.

No paper, no insurance.

No paper, fewer clients (any that would have considered you and ask where you're certified will walk away...every dollar lost is another reason to get the cert).

No paper, no bank will loan you money to start your own gig.

No Paper and most gyms wont hire you if you're going in that direction.

When you go to get your paper, you'll also find out you'll learn a few things along the way. Fight it all you like, just your attitude alone says it all.

I can't believe people on this thread who dont have the paper can actually just bash trainers who do.

If someone with a cert doesn't do well, well maybe they didnt really try. But I'll guarantee you...If you don't have that Paper, you wont SUCCEED as a trainer, Like, making money. yeah, it might b ea nice PART TIME gig for a few extra bucks, but if we're talking real money like six figures a year, you wont even come in sneezing distance of it.
    If you think you know it all, you've already failed at knowing anything!

badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) badrymz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    A cert or a degree is definetly a must to get. Personal Trainers are a dime a dozen. The sad thing is clients have no idea what a good certification is, or even if you have a degree most of the time. I've seen so many bad trainers that have no idea what they are doing, and the same ones making money doing so. People are going to you as an expert. The least you can do in return is educate yourself as much as possible.

blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by neutrolizr View Post
    Actually, you do need that piece of paper.

No paper, no insurance.

No paper, fewer clients (any that would have considered you and ask where you're certified will walk away...every dollar lost is another reason to get the cert).

No paper, no bank will loan you money to start your own gig.

No Paper and most gyms wont hire you if you're going in that direction.

When you go to get your paper, you'll also find out you'll learn a few things along the way. Fight it all you like, just your attitude alone says it all.

I can't believe people on this thread who dont have the paper can actually just bash trainers who do.

If someone with a cert doesn't do well, well maybe they didnt really try. But I'll guarantee you...If you don't have that Paper, you wont SUCCEED as a trainer, Like, making money. yeah, it might b ea nice PART TIME gig for a few extra bucks, but if we're talking real money like six figures a year, you wont even come in sneezing distance of it.
    I know plenty of people who just workout in general non certified who will make a much better of a trainer, that a trainer who is certified or even have a degree

Care to explain how a trainer with a degree and a cert or just 1 of the 2 suck at training? I've seen plenty

I mean if they have a cert, or a degree, or even both, they would automatically be successful right? Say i got both a degree and lets say 5 certifications, does that mean i would make 6 figures?

A piece of paper is just that. It doesn't mean you are a better trainer than everyone else because you have one

blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) blapblapblow has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by badrymz View Post
    A cert or a degree is definetly a must to get. Personal Trainers are a dime a dozen. The sad thing is clients have no idea what a good certification is, or even if you have a degree most of the time. I've seen so many bad trainers that have no idea what they are doing, and the same ones making money doing so. People are going to you as an expert. The least you can do in return is educate yourself as much as possible.
    YEPPERS!!!!!!!!!

And those trainers are certified, and some of them even have degrees. What does that tell ya?

FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by hattrickinc View Post
    my turn my turn!!

I go to 24 hour fitness where they say they hire "Only the best trainers, complete with a wide range of certifications"

..I have plenty of pictures of them eating MCDONALDS
    ..And their all fat..

I've only listened to two bodybuilders my whole life,
    sadly only because they LOOKED like they knew wtf they were talking about.
    You can see me with McDonalds every once in a while. Whats wrong with that?? I eat McD. and I am at 11% body fat. I wonder how that works??
    Saying "they are all fat" is ignorant. Some of them are, but does that make them a bad trainer?? You don't know for sure.

Now, here is the deal. Just because a trainer does not look like a body builder it doesn't mean that he knows what he is talking about. people on this forum assume that a guy needs to look like a body builder in order to tell you how to get there, and you are CORRECT. However, a typical client is not looking for a body builder. Their goal requires much more knowledge than body building. So, for you its great to look for a body builder. However, if you think about everyone that a trainer has to train you will quickly understand that it takes a lot more.

I can tell you right now that once you start training 8-10 people a day, working out is hard. Its hard to stay motivated and its hard to be fresh after all those sessions on your feet etc... thats why a lot of them are not in shape anymore. its tough.
    I learn 24/7. I don't pretend to know everything, and I LOVE lifting weights.

ISSA certified
    NASM- in progress
    ACE in progress

Why lie, I wanna look like Arnold in his prime.

3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000) 3kgtjunkie is just really nice. (+1000)
    the trainer certificates just skim the surface of biomechanics, anatomy and nutrition. If you want to REALLY know what you're talking about as a trainer a couple college courses are a must. the IFPA and ISSA certs were both exactly like the intro exercise phys classes i took a few semesters ago. It goes so much deeper and its interesting ****
    BA, IFPA, ACE, NSCA CPT, NASM and now --->CSCS<---- woot!

Originally Posted by FreddyKrueger View Post
    I can tell you right now that once you start training 8-10 people a day, working out is hard. Its hard to stay motivated and its hard to be fresh after all those sessions on your feet etc... thats why a lot of them are not in shape anymore. its tough.
    I disagree. No excuses why nobody cannot put in even 30 minutes out of their day to workout. it's their lifestyle outside of the gym, as to why they are not in shape, partying hard every weekend and eating poor

IF a trainer is that busy with many clients for the day, then that trainer better get their ass to the gym first thing AM. No excuses

neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10) neutrolizr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I disagree. No excuses why nobody cannot put in even 30 minutes out of their day to workout. it's their lifestyle outside of the gym, as to why they are not in shape, partying hard every weekend and eating poor

IF a trainer is that busy with many clients for the day, then that trainer better get their ass to the gym first thing AM. No excuses
    2 things for you.

1. What part of the cert requirement dont you get? You may be absolutely right. Maybe some trainers without a cert are the best, and some with totally suck (ive seen both). The fact still remains, if you want it to be a business, if you want to

2. are you a trainer? Have you ever trained more than one or two people a day? I train 6 -12 people almost every day. I do bootcamps, classes etc, and I workout...but staying motivated is a killer. I see alot of trainers who are so sick of it by the end of they day they dont have time or the will to do it themselves.

All of your opinions are based on speculation, not on what really goes on in this world at all. You've obviously never experienced setting up a business,m getting clients every day or training many if any clients at all. Any real trainer here knows what the deal is, and you're agruing something you obviously know nothing about.

Again, some trainers without certs are better than some with, but if you have a cert or degree...whether you agree with it or now makes a difference...uh..in the REAL WORLD...

2 things for you.

1. What part of the cert requirement dont you get? You may be absolutely right. Maybe some trainers without a cert are the best, and some with totally suck (ive seen both). The fact still remains, if you want it to be a business, if you want to

2. are you a trainer? Have you ever trained more than one or two people a day? I train 6 -12 people almost every day. I do bootcamps, classes etc, and I workout...but staying motivated is a killer. I see alot of trainers who are so sick of it by the end of they day they dont have time or the will to do it themselves.

All of your opinions are based on speculation, not on what really goes on in this world at all. You've obviously never experienced setting up a business,m getting clients every day or training many if any clients at all. Any real trainer here knows what the deal is, and you're agruing something you obviously know nothing about.

Again, some trainers without certs are better than some with, but if you have a cert or degree...whether you agree with it or now makes a difference...uh..in the REAL WORLD...
    1. i am absolutely right
    2. no excuses. If a trainer has a full day, they need to get their ass in the gym first thing AM. Get it out of the way. Trainers who get sick of it at the end of the day and miss workouts, are just as bad as those people with other jobs who skip the gym because they are tired, or people who cancel on you at the last minute because they are tired. NO excuses

anybody can get a cert or a degree. that doesnt mean they are going to be good at what they do. just cuz you have a certification or degree does not mean you'll have a line of people looking to hire you

1. You're obviously not an experienced (or certified) trainer of any kind.

2. OOPS, your age is showing. Your lack of business experience and common business sense, along with knowing what its like to work long hours is showing.

Good luck to you in your PT career.

(the second you walk in a gym with the attitude that you are absolutely right, without a cert, you'll be walking right back out again!...LOL.)

1. You're obviously not an experienced (or certified) trainer of any kind.

2. OOPS, your age is showing. Your lack of business experience and common business sense, along with knowing what its like to work long hours is showing.

Good luck to you in your PT career.

(the second you walk in a gym with the attitude that you are absolutely right, without a cert, you'll be walking right back out again!...LOL.)
    That's your "opinion" and you are entitled to that, so "assume" away

If it makes you feel better to put a young guy down due to your old age, then feel free champ

Oh, you are the best trainer on this site because you have a degree and a cert....please spare me the bs hahahaha

in regards to your comment about me walking into a gym with my attitude, though i am certified, i have not walked right back out in 5 years, so continue to assume old man. There are so many old certified farts at the gym who think they know everything and feel they are better than everyone else because they are certified and some even have a degree, yet none of them have any clients nor a line of people wanting to train with them

So much for the paper huh?
    Last edited by blapblapblow; 09-10-2008 at 03:29 PM.

MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MVP is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Funny Post as usual
    Mastering Yourself Makes You Fearless

Never said I was the BEST trainer, and never said that someone not certified sucks.

As far as your age goes, just pointing out the obvious...lol. You've got that chip on your shoulder with a bit of immaturity. You know it all, you know WHAT SHOULD BE in your opinion, rather than simply WHAT IS.

Good luck to you. Good luck ever trying ot open your own gym or pt business.

And for gods sake, stop taking yourself so seriously...I certainly dont.

FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250) FreddyKrueger has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

LOL. I train after my ten hour days, but I am a rare breed. Most trainers dont want to see a gym after spending that much time there.
    However, you are guessing about their :"life style". People have lives dude. Especially when they have kids and have to take care of ****. Seriously you think that just because they are trainers they have to work out every day and such...??? What you fail at is asking about their GOAL.

Lets look at your proposal.

A typical trainer day goes like this 6am-noon, 1 hour brake, 1 to 6-7 (there are breaks in there due to clients etc...) Than home, than repeat. Now, if the trainer came and trained after 9, lets say 10 -11 they would have to have no life, or family to do that. Most of them go home to family because they don't see them all day. Than if they go home and eat and re-fuel, than they come back and train... They get good 6 hours of sleep. So, its either sacrificing nutrition or sleep or family to train. Now, I know that if you sacrifice either one of those three things your training would not be effective. You must have no life, or very little of it.

Oh, and lets not even mention staying current with certs, and some of them are in school.

Seriously, thus far all of your posts have had Rookie questions in there.
    Last edited by FreddyKrueger; 09-11-2008 at 02:29 PM.

ISSA certified
    NASM- in progress
    ACE in progress

LOL. I train after my ten hour days, but I am a rare breed. Most trainers dont want to see a gym after spending that much time there.
    However, you are guessing about their :"life style". People have lives dude. Especially when they have kids and have to take care of ****. Seriously you think that just because they are trainers they have to work out every day and such...??? What you fail at is asking about their GOAL.

Lets look at your proposal.

A typical trainer day goes like this 6am-noon, 1 hour brake, 1 to 6-7 (there are breaks in there due to clients etc...) Than home, than repeat. Now, if the trainer came and trained after 9, lets say 10 -11 they would have to have no life, or family to do that. Most of them go home to family because they don't see them all day. Than if they go home and eat and re-fuel, than they come back and train... They get good 6 hours of sleep. So, its either sacrificing nutrition or sleep or family to train. Now, I know that if you sacrifice either one of those three things your training would not be effective. You must have no life, or very little of it.

Oh, and lets not even mention staying current with certs, and some of them are in school.

Seriously, thus far all of your posts have had Rookie questions in there.
    Again, no excuses why someone cant devote 30 minutes of their time to workout. Your telling me in between clients, a trainer cant devote 30 minutes out of a 24hr day to fitness for themselves? It's bs....and you can continue to make excuses for them. If you don't know, fitness is a lifestyle. Maybe the trainers you speak of are the reason their are a ton of out of shape trainers? They need to take responsibility for their actions, rather blame everything and everybody else around them. These hours you throw out for trainers..i wonder what % of trainers are that busy training clients?

And you are wrong, i do have a life buddy, and guess what? I make time in my 24hr day to workout. I dont make excuses in why i cant workout. My ass is in the gym at 5am
    Last edited by blapblapblow; 09-11-2008 at 02:44 PM.

Registered User Jack_the_Repper's Avatar
    Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10) Jack_the_Repper is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Getting your workouts in every week is critical, you cant preach what you dont practice. If you are that busy... boot 1 person out of your schedule, this gives you that 30 minutes that you guys can never find.

Secondly, I'm going back to the topic about certifications and such. IMO, there are a couple of different kind of trainers, all mean well in their approach to helping clients reach their goals. 1. The motivator, they dont necessarily know much but are very good at keeping a positive attitude and keeping the energy up. 2. The smart guy, someone who knows a lot about what they are doing but just doesnt have the people skills to keep clients coming in.

A good trainer should be a good combination of both. They need to have a solid information and experience based background as well as the people skills and energy to truly push people to succeed. This is where the certification helps out... a knowledge based background. I also think that before someone becomes a trainer they need a few fundamental classes: Biomechanics, Exercise Physiology, and Anatomy have all helped me to understand how the body works before I started my career and made getting my cert. a lot easier.
    -----WORK HARD, PLAY HARDER-----
    ACE Certified Personal Trainer
    BS Exercise Science
    Nutrition Minor

Fitness junkie Realtor DrewBlueR32's Avatar
    DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DrewBlueR32 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by getnfit4me View Post
    On the other hand, and I'm asking this in all seriousness, not trying to be a smart ass, do you think you can learn enough through a pt cert program to actually train people, without extensive gym experience yourself?

I'm asking because I'm going to pursue certification at the request of my trainer, who needs more help in his business. But I'm not confident that I have enough experience myself to actually train others. I know that's why one studies and gets certified, but I'm just not sure that book knowledge translates into practical knowledge. Thoughts?
    Your right, knowledge you get from the book won't translate into practical knowledge however, it will help by giving you a base of information to translate to a client...Sales skills and knowing how to sell yourself are truly beneficial...As for the practical knowledge, truly pay attention when your trainer and you are having a session...Study his movements, how he helps, motivates and gives advice..Doing that as well as having a good overall understanding of anatomy, body composition, movement and force, as well as knowing how to properly execute a range of different exercises and their targeted muscle will give you the tools you need to train with confidence =)

Cheers
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Trainn for pain....with pain comes gainnn =)

www.andrewtomassetti.com

unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The trainers at my gym suck. They have their pictures up with what certifications they have + degrees if they have any. They all the same. They suck. They just sit around in the cubicle area and watch 1 trainer trainer someone - cookie cutter workouts
    On the lookout for some good steroids/ph's

Again, no excuses why someone cant devote 30 minutes of their time to workout. Your telling me in between clients, a trainer cant devote 30 minutes out of a 24hr day to fitness for themselves? It's bs....and you can continue to make excuses for them. If you don't know, fitness is a lifestyle. Maybe the trainers you speak of are the reason their are a ton of out of shape trainers? They need to take responsibility for their actions, rather blame everything and everybody else around them. These hours you throw out for trainers..i wonder what % of trainers are that busy training clients?

And you are wrong, i do have a life buddy, and guess what? I make time in my 24hr day to workout. I dont make excuses in why i cant workout. My ass is in the gym at 5am
    Ok, first of all you and I are in the same boat. I always make time to work out, but thats my goal. I am trying to explain that the reson most of them don't look as good is because they have a lot of clients without breaks to make money. Most of them are not our breed but that doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing.
    All in all to get certified you don't have to work out. Its about reading a damn book and taking a test. So, in reallity you can be certified and be a fat trainer. I've seen a few.

You just have to understand that most trainers goal is not to be working out 5 days a week. Its not to look great, its just to be healthy thus why they look 'fat' or 'bad'.

ISSA certified
    NASM- in progress
    ACE in progress

Originally Posted by unauthorized View Post
    The trainers at my gym suck. They have their pictures up with what certifications they have + degrees if they have any. They all the same. They suck. They just sit around in the cubicle area and watch 1 trainer trainer someone - cookie cutter workouts
    That would be the NASM workouts.

ISSA certified
    NASM- in progress
    ACE in progress

Ok, first of all you and I are in the same boat. I always make time to work out, but thats my goal. I am trying to explain that the reson most of them don't look as good is because they have a lot of clients without breaks to make money. Most of them are not our breed but that doesn't mean that they don't know what they are doing.
    All in all to get certified you don't have to work out. Its about reading a damn book and taking a test. So, in reallity you can be certified and be a fat trainer. I've seen a few.

You just have to understand that most trainers goal is not to be working out 5 days a week. Its not to look great, its just to be healthy thus why they look 'fat' or 'bad'.
    Freddie, agreed. But trying to make simple, common sense, real life comments and info here is fruitless.

Real life.

People have lives (but they should stay in shape or not train)..but In real life, you can see where it can be a problem.

Certs are recognized by gyms, clients, banks nad insurance companies.
    No Cert simply isnt. doesnt make one person better than the other, but these groups want to see it whether someone agrees or not is neither here nor there.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    blap: Heres your chance to shut us all up about having a good cert and a degree vs experiance. On this forum there is a post about training a person with hip replacement surgery. Why not go there and dazzle us with your advice to him.

-Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -Ironside- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Make him do ATG squats and heavy deadlifts /end hip replacement surgery thread
    It's hard to judge a trainer by their looks but that's what attracts clients. They don't care about your certs 90% of the time, they look at you and your personality first. If you keep them happy they'll keep coming back to you, even if you're not the best trainer there.
    old broken soldier
    ACPT, NSCA
    Hughumanity.org
    Remembering the fallen

Stasher1 - Reps owed

unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10) unauthorized is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by -Ironside- View Post
    Make him do ATG squats and heavy deadlifts /end hip replacement surgery thread
    It's hard to judge a trainer by their looks but that's what attracts clients. They don't care about your certs 90% of the time, they look at you and your personality first. If you keep them happy they'll keep coming back to you, even if you're not the best trainer there.
    100% agree

In reality, people don't care what certification you have or what degree you have. All the people care about is if you are going to help change their bodies. People pay for you to help change their bodies, not what certification or what degree you have

And that there fellas is the reality of it

Just from reading this post, i have to say a lot of you take your certifications or degrees seriously and put down others who either dont have one, or just a certification.

I know some trainers who are pretty damn good at what they do with full schedules and all they have is just one certification

just my 2cents
    On the lookout for some good steroids/ph's

Originally Posted by unauthorized View Post
    100% agree

In reality, people don't care what certification you have or what degree you have. All the people care about is if you are going to help change their bodies. People pay for you to help change their bodies, not what certification or what degree you have

And that there fellas is the reality of it

Just from reading this post, i have to say a lot of you take your certifications or degrees seriously and put down others who either dont have one, or just a certification.

I know some trainers who are pretty damn good at what they do with full schedules and all they have is just one certification

just my 2cents
    I belive the question was about training without a cert. Thats why people are talking up their certs. The certification praise is because you will know more, and you will know how to train people who have opposite goals and goals you never even thought of. This is why a certified trainer will always be one notch better than a gym rat who thinks they know how to train people. The gym rats can be seen training their girl friend on how to do "concentration curls". They know nothing of a proper crunch, what leg raises do and why you should do them, and corrective exercises. Now this is not for everybody, but most people who think they can train without a cert are in for a rude surprise.

ISSA certified
    NASM- in progress
    ACE in progress

loreleieve has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Wow...this has become quite the thread. Having just read all four pages, some people on here baffle me with their naivety.

Now, I am actually looking to find a good certification for becoming a personal trainer. Will it make me that much better than someone else? Not necessarily, but I want the credibility. I really enjoy training-I'm not one of those girls that thinks if I move some weights around I'm going to come out looking like Arnold, nor do I believe 1000 crunches a day will get me rock hard abs. I'll tell all you guys out there one fact: most girls are dumb when it comes to the gym. There are few and far between that know the benefits of lifting weights and that it takes a lot of hard work to build muscle. Maybe this is just me, but if I were to consider getting a physical trainer, I would want someone that practices what they preach, but at the same time there are many people that go through rough spots-family matters, etc. I think what really makes a personal trainer valuable is their reputation with their clients, thus the importance of referrals.

Why do I want to train others? I've helped out some friends, and I realized that it's something I truly enjoy, and it's a great feeling to see them make gains. If you have heart, you're going to be better than someone that treats personal training as "just a job." Not only do I want to be a personal trainer, but I want to expand my knowledge and learn more about nutrition and sports science and psychology. I constantly crave new knowledge. I hope that everyone on this, whether you have a certificate/degree or not, you want to continuously become better at what you are doing. The certificate may seem like just a piece of paper to some of you, but you should want to attain something to prove your worth.

Btw, there's a ton of guys in the gym that are cut, but most have horrible form and I cringe watching them. Is it their egos that make them hurt themselves? Seriously...

Whats good for lower abs? kserajuddin's Avatar
    kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250) kserajuddin has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    threads like this are great
    "Do what you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life" - either Confucius or the Dalai Lama - I get them confused -

ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10) ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10) ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10) ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10) ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10) ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10) ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10) ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10) ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10) ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10) ViperSlugg is on a distinguished road. (+10)

hmmm

I was just reading around randomly in this area and judging by the very 1st post - it actually kind of scares me .... since I am a beginner - creating a base for myself using HIT style training atm .... I feel that I am using pretty good form and with HIT training I must use some pretty heavy weight least for me anyways ....

And just the thought of just little imbalances in form leading to bad joint alignment or weak/strong links in parts of the body that end up injuring yourself in other lifts in the future is kind of scary to me ....