Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
    TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BillabongVolcom View Post
    bump this thread. Theres a lot of good information in this thread.
    Thanks, I have written some new routines since these posts as well.

If anyone would like something specific to their goals just let me know.
    Pro Strongman & Former National Champion

PR Gym Lifts -> Front Squat 515 Lbs / Deadlift 700 lbs / Strict Press 325 lbs

Website | www.mutaffis.com
    Instagram | www.instagram.com/tmutaffis
    ******** | www.********.com/StrongmanTomMutaffis
    YouTube | www.youtube.com/tmutafs

dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dcarson90 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by TomMutaffis View Post
    Thanks, I have written some new routines since these posts as well.

If anyone would like something specific to their goals just let me know.
    Gain solid mass. I'm 125lbs right now, I created this routine for myself and have been on it for a week and a half and gained 4.5lbs. Just curious as to what you think, or if you have a better idea for a split have at it.

Monday

3x6-8 Hack Squat (no access to barbell, only e-z curl bar)
    3x6-8 Bent Over Row
    3x6-8 Calf Press
    1x15 Pull Ups
    Abs

Wednesday

3x6-8 Deadlift
    3x6-8 Bench Press
    3x6-8 Barbell Curls
    2x10 Dips
    Abs

Friday

3x6-8 Leg Press
    3x6-8 Military Press
    2x20 Wrist Curls
    1x15 Chin Ups
    Abs

Progression

Pick a starting weight in which you can complete each set with no slowing towards the end of your last reps. Now following the Progression Table below, increase the weight each week by a given increment until you can't get the FIFTH rep on the last set. Once this happens, keep the weight the same for each week until you can accomplish doing so, then increase.

Progression Table

Squat - 15-20lbs for 3-4 weeks, then slowing to 10.
    Deadlift - 15-20lbs for 3-4 weeks, then slowing to 10.
    Leg Press - 20lbs for 3-4 weeks, then slowing to 10.
    Military Press - 5lbs
    Bench Press - 5-10lbs
    Bent Over Row - 5-10lbs
    Barbell Curls - 5-10lbs
    Chin Ups/Pull Ups - Once you can get a set of 15 unweighted, add 5lbs until you can accomplish this again and so forth.
    Dips - Once you can get 2 sets of 10 unweighted, add 5lbs until you can do so again and so forth.
    Calf Press - 10lbs
    Wrist Curls - 5lbs

Deload Week

Every 6 weeks at 60% intensity.
    Road from 120 to 160 REFURBISHED (pics)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=122351921

jsauer19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Decided to try out the 3 day split, and i'm pretty happy with the routine so far.

This morning I did the back/bicep/deadlift workout (ended up adding 3 deadlift sets, and a few pulldown/curl sets) and am happy with the results. I haven't felt a back workout in I don't know how long, and when I work my back I work it hard (before this i was doing 12-15 pyramid sets of various pulldowns/rows) but today I was actually feeling a little sore after the workout which was nice. I will definitely be on this routine (modified slightly, i'll be adding sets to all of the workouts) for the next few weeks, and I'll post my results for whoever is interested in this 3 day split.

TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TomMutaffis has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by dcarson90 View Post
    Gain solid mass. I'm 125lbs right now, I created this routine for myself and have been on it for a week and a half and gained 4.5lbs. Just curious as to what you think, or if you have a better idea for a split have at it.

Monday

3x6-8 Hack Squat (no access to barbell, only e-z curl bar)
    3x6-8 Bent Over Row
    3x6-8 Calf Press
    1x15 Pull Ups
    Abs

Wednesday

3x6-8 Deadlift
    3x6-8 Bench Press
    3x6-8 Barbell Curls
    2x10 Dips
    Abs

Friday

3x6-8 Leg Press
    3x6-8 Military Press
    2x20 Wrist Curls
    1x15 Chin Ups
    Abs

Progression

Pick a starting weight in which you can complete each set with no slowing towards the end of your last reps. Now following the Progression Table below, increase the weight each week by a given increment until you can't get the FIFTH rep on the last set. Once this happens, keep the weight the same for each week until you can accomplish doing so, then increase.

Progression Table

Squat - 15-20lbs for 3-4 weeks, then slowing to 10.
    Deadlift - 15-20lbs for 3-4 weeks, then slowing to 10.
    Leg Press - 20lbs for 3-4 weeks, then slowing to 10.
    Military Press - 5lbs
    Bench Press - 5-10lbs
    Bent Over Row - 5-10lbs
    Barbell Curls - 5-10lbs
    Chin Ups/Pull Ups - Once you can get a set of 15 unweighted, add 5lbs until you can accomplish this again and so forth.
    Dips - Once you can get 2 sets of 10 unweighted, add 5lbs until you can do so again and so forth.
    Calf Press - 10lbs
    Wrist Curls - 5lbs

Deload Week

Every 6 weeks at 60% intensity.
    Total body workouts are something that I would only recommend to beginners; and in many cases you are better off with a set template like Starting Strength.

Your rep ranges look good although the overall volume seems to be a bit low (number of sets). It may not be enough to stimulant substantial growth if you are not moving a lot of weight in the limited number of sets.

Diet is going to be the #1 factor in reaching your mass goals. It looks like you are on the right track and I would just continue to focus on high calorie / high protein foods.

Let me know if you have any specific questions and I would be happy to help with your diet/supplements/training.

Originally Posted by jsauer19 View Post
    Decided to try out the 3 day split, and i'm pretty happy with the routine so far.

This morning I did the back/bicep/deadlift workout (ended up adding 3 deadlift sets, and a few pulldown/curl sets) and am happy with the results. I haven't felt a back workout in I don't know how long, and when I work my back I work it hard (before this i was doing 12-15 pyramid sets of various pulldowns/rows) but today I was actually feeling a little sore after the workout which was nice. I will definitely be on this routine (modified slightly, i'll be adding sets to all of the workouts) for the next few weeks, and I'll post my results for whoever is interested in this 3 day split.
    I am glad to hear that you like the routine so far!

Definitely post your results after you have had a few weeks to evaluate the split.

Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000)
    I am glad to hear that you like the routine so far!

Definitely post your results after you have had a few weeks to evaluate the split.
    Just finished three weeks on the routine in the original post. I did decrease the volume a little bit, 1 set of deads... 3 sets of squats because I'm cutting and I liked the set/rep scheme from Starting Strength. I did notice what a few people mentioned, my shoulders get destroyed on wednesdays..so I dropped a set of overhead press as well

Anyways, it's been great so far. I eased myself into the program since this was the first time doing anything other than Starting Strength, but I'm hitting my stride now and loving it.
    Last edited by Ironwake; 02-26-2010 at 08:56 AM.
    Starting Strength... Again! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172893

6 Month Beginner Starting Strength Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118409981

Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sebas94 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I begin your 3 day split yesterday to go along with my cut, which I also began yesterday, and today my back is more sore than I think it's ever been! I should be okay following the split as written while eating 2000-2200 calories at 5'9 163 lbs right?
    Oh hey what's up

kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10) kwickez is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i like it,same setup as mine,id just do the inc bench first with the 3 sets.
    In a crowd of ordinary fish, the sharks really stand out

Originally Posted by Ironwake View Post
    Just finished three weeks on the routine in the original post. I did decrease the volume a little bit, 1 set of deads... 3 sets of squats because I'm cutting and I liked the set/rep scheme from Starting Strength. I did notice what a few people mentioned, my shoulders get destroyed on wednesdays..so I dropped a set of overhead press as well

Anyways, it's been great so far. I eased myself into the program since this was the first time doing anything other than Starting Strength, but I'm hitting my stride now and loving it.
    Sometimes you do have to tweak things a bit for your individual needs and it sounds like you made some good adjustments and found what works best for you.

I am glad to hear that you like the program so far.

Originally Posted by Sebas94 View Post
    I begin your 3 day split yesterday to go along with my cut, which I also began yesterday, and today my back is more sore than I think it's ever been! I should be okay following the split as written while eating 2000-2200 calories at 5'9 163 lbs right?
    The workouts can take some time to adapt to if you are not used to this type of training.

You should be fine while training in a calorie deficit as long as you moderate your intensity(don't train above 90% of 1RM). For those who are dieting I usually recommend simply trying to maintain your lifts, and then worry about gaining size/strength when you are back to maintenance calories or in a surplus.

Please let me know if there is anything that I can help you with regarding your training / diet / supplements.

jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500) jthb is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Thanks!

+1

al_77 is just really nice. (+1000) al_77 is just really nice. (+1000) al_77 is just really nice. (+1000) al_77 is just really nice. (+1000) al_77 is just really nice. (+1000) al_77 is just really nice. (+1000) al_77 is just really nice. (+1000) al_77 is just really nice. (+1000) al_77 is just really nice. (+1000) al_77 is just really nice. (+1000) al_77 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey man, I decided to catch you on this thread on your 3-day split routine. I was wondering if the pec dec/cross overs you placed at the end of the workout could be placed after the dips, since it does make sense to hit all of the chest, then everything else. unless you had an explanation for it that would sway me haha.

Thanks brotha.
    "Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." - 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Goals: 160lbs SHREDDED.

Originally Posted by al_77 View Post
    Hey man, I decided to catch you on this thread on your 3-day split routine. I was wondering if the pec dec/cross overs you placed at the end of the workout could be placed after the dips, since it does make sense to hit all of the chest, then everything else. unless you had an explanation for it that would sway me haha.

Thanks brotha.
    Good question; there is a reason that the chest isolation / machine movement is placed at the end of the workout.

The pressing workout begins with compound movements which stimulate your Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps. By moving to direct Deltoids / Triceps work and finishing with a Chest isolation movement you effectively allow your chest to recover a bit. This should enable you to use heavier weights and perform more reps on the crossovers or flyes then you would have had you done them immediately after your heavy pressing. Being able to put more energy into the isolation movement ("finisher") should yield greater gains.

Here is the original post (for reference):

I have seen a number of posts lately regarding 3-day training splits and wanted to share a program that I put together which has worked well for me.

Monday: Pulling (Back/Biceps/Deadlift)
    - Deadlifts (3 sets)
    - Chins (3 sets)
    - One-Arm Dumbbell Rows (2 sets)
    - Close Grip Pulldowns (2 sets)
    - Barbell Curls (2 sets)
    - Hammer Curls (1 set)

Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)

Friday: Lower Body (Legs)
    - Squats (4 sets)
    - Strait Leg Deadlifts (2 sets)
    - Walking Lunges (2 sets)
    - Leg Curl / Feet High Leg Press Superset (2 sets)
    - Calf Raises (3 sets)

For initial compound movement in each workout I generally work in the 3-5 rep range. For the next compound movement I typically go with 5-8 reps, and then I finish the rest of the workout (accessory/isolation movements) in the 8-12 rep range.

On some of the smaller muscle groups (deltoids, biceps, triceps) I will generally perform drop sets.

Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000) Ironwake is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hey Tom, Just wanted to say thanks again for posting this routine. I ran it for about 10-11 weeks with very minimal strength loss while loosing close to 2lbs a week. Feel free to take a look at my log if you want :P

My only concern with it for bulking is that the progression may be slow for me ( still being a novice ), but I really like the exercise selections and placement; me and my girlfriend both enjoyed it and may come back to it in the future.
    Starting Strength... Again! - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169172893

6 Month Beginner Starting Strength Log - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118409981

goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I got on here to look for a 4 day split...glad I checked this thread! I'm going to try the 4/5 that you recommended, Tom. I will post on here how it goes. I've recently stalled. I havent switched up my program in months and have been taking in about 4,000-4,500 calories a day. I'm going to up the calories to. Hopefully switching these two things up will help! Thanks.

Cplus1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cplus1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cplus1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cplus1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cplus1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cplus1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Cplus1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    GREAT thread so far, I am following the 3 day template. I want to get the rep scheme for the compounds correct though:

Are the sets for the first compounds of the day straight sets or ramping up in weight?

Could you elaborate more on the Dual Progression for bodybuilders. What would alternating rep schemes look like for volume and power weeks.

Cheers

goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50) goodspeed8 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Just finished chest day....great workout. I will only be in the gym 4 days a week due to school and other obligations. What do you think of doing abs on chest and shoulder/arm day instead of on their own day? (3 sets of weighted crunched or Hanging leg raises untill fail).

I'm skipping the cardio for now (trying to bulk up!)

Originally Posted by Ironwake View Post
    Hey Tom, Just wanted to say thanks again for posting this routine. I ran it for about 10-11 weeks with very minimal strength loss while loosing close to 2lbs a week. Feel free to take a look at my log if you want :P

My only concern with it for bulking is that the progression may be slow for me ( still being a novice ), but I really like the exercise selections and placement; me and my girlfriend both enjoyed it and may come back to it in the future.
    Glad to hear that it worked well for you; the progression is something that can be adjusted for your specific needs.

If you are interested in other routines for specific objectives (strength, athletics, lagging bodyparts, etc.) just let me know.

Originally Posted by goodspeed8 View Post
    Just finished chest day....great workout. I will only be in the gym 4 days a week due to school and other obligations. What do you think of doing abs on chest and shoulder/arm day instead of on their own day? (3 sets of weighted crunched or Hanging leg raises untill fail).

I'm skipping the cardio for now (trying to bulk up!)
    You can add your abdominal training into another workout as long as you do not go crazy with the volume (3 sets will not be an issue). The Shoulder/Arm day is fine as long as it is not directly before or after any other upper body training session.

Hope this helps; good luck with the program and let me know if you would like to customize it further for your specific needs.

For those who may be interested I came across a new program that looks promising for strength and hypertrophy. There is a 3-day split option but instead of using a bodypart split it is an Upper/Lower rotation.

The program is called HCT-12 and details can be found in my training journal:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=124756821

blackrazor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) blackrazor has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

More arm size

The way that I typically specialize a bodypart is by training them early in my workout, and by training them directly after a 'Rest' day.

For arms I would say that DB/BB curlse and either dips or close grip bench would be good movements to focus on. For Shoulders I would recommend DB Military Press. Another good shock principal to incorporate could be high rep isolation movements. Westside Barbell has some of their lifters do 100 rep pushdowns at the end of their pressing work, and a lot of the lifters have made some good hypertrophy gains with the increased volume.

Sometimes with smaller bodyparts a GVT program is not idea because of the volume (10x10); and you can always try something like the FST-7 protocol or 'cluster sets'.

I would be happy to write up a customized program for you if you can provide me with a bit more information on your current split, training background, strength levels, etc.
    I up'd the reps as you stated. It made my arms get a little more ripped. I am trying to get my arms to look like a bodybuilder or a strongman competitor. Could doing arms 2x or even 3x a week bring them up? How would you set somthing like that up?

Originally Posted by blackrazor View Post
    I up'd the reps as you stated. It made my arms get a little more ripped. I am trying to get my arms to look like a bodybuilder or a strongman competitor. Could doing arms 2x or even 3x a week bring them up? How would you set somthing like that up?
    Some people respond well to frequency but I would not train a body part any more than 2x/week (every 3rd or 4th day). Since you have already tried a volume program and made some progress you may want to switch directions and overload the muscles with heavy compound movements to spark additional growth.

Exercises like weighted pullups, close grip bench, and other heavy pulling/pressing movements can help you to build your arms even if the biceps or triceps are not always the primary muscle group involved in the movement.

Have you tried using any advanced bodybuilding principals like drop sets or giant sets?

Just bumping this back up for anyone who is looking for new routines...

hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10) hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10) hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10) hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10) hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10) hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10) hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10) hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10) hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10) hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10) hellrelived is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    ya .me here ..
    Im currently working out for adding on STrength and Size ..
    if u have some time plzz pass by my thread
    Ur suggestions will be highly appreciated
    --------------------------------------------------------
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=125228761
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    ♫ If you have a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it will burn out. But when you have a human body that is equivalent of a 10-horsepower motor and you subject it to a 12-horsepower load, it eventually becomes a 12-horsepower motor (Schwarzenegger, Encyclopedia 48).

Genetically Gifted Big Daddy Shane's Avatar
    Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000) Big Daddy Shane is just really nice. (+1000)
    bump

jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jamie93 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    hey tom. i sent you a pm too but I thought id post here as well. (you dont have to reply to both haha).

So yeah I have been on a 4 day routine for a while but Im looking for something different. It was basically a push/pull sort of think but it repeated throughout the week. it was:

pull (i.e. back+biceps) AND legs
    push (i.e. chest+tris) AND shoulders

i repeated this twice throughout the week.

I think this was too much, do you agree?

anyway, my numbers are still low on the main lifts. I would like to gain strength but also focus on hypertrophy. As i am still fairly new to lifting (about 5 months) i think i could make solid gains in both fields, i really just need a solid routine.

I would like your input on which of the routines you have posted would be the most beneficial to me.

Any info, just ask. Good thread-il be watching it

thanks

junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50) junkboxer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wednesday: Pushing (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps)
    - Flat Dumbbell Bench Press (3 Sets)
    - Incline Barbell Bench Press (2 sets)
    - Dips (2 sets)
    - Seated Dumbbell Military Press (3 sets)
    - Overhead Dumbbell Extension (2 sets)
    - Side Laterals (2 sets)
    - Pushdowns (2 sets)
    - Cable Crossover / Pec Deck (1 set)
    im coming off of a long (18 week) but successful 5x5 routine which was perfectly planned out for me with Bill Starr' Microsoft Calculator. because i was spoiled with that i dont know how to make correct poundage progressions on my own. im taking this week off recover after a long 4.5 months of training and to fine tune this routine to me. heres one question i have sofare:

My 5 rep max for a flat benchpress (im switching it to barbell press because dumbell chest presses dont like my tendons) is 240lbs, which i work up to with 4 previous sets. with your new routine, I'm doing NO warmups and doing 3 sets of 240lbs for five reps? and what about the following week, do i add another 5lbs to my bench? doesn't sound right or even do-able. can you correct my bench press plan here? and really overall how I'm supposed to make poundage progressions on these accessory and isolation movements when my gyms dumbells go up in 5lb increments. for many of your non-compound movements, shouldn't weight progression be VERY SLOW. 5lbs a week seems a bit much. For example, doing hammer curls every week with 5 pounds added every time.

Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Chicago1287 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Tom...I can't believe how patient you are with all of these questions. You get right to the point with your answers. Thanks a lot first of all. I just have one question for right now:

One thing I ALWAYS get confused about is how heavy we should go with each exercise when someone puts up a routine. For example, you say 3-5 reps on the main compound lift. If you were to do 3 sets, I see 3 different ways of doing the lift:

a. Choose your 5RM and try to use that weight for all 3 sets. (which would probably be something like 5, 4, 3 due to fatigue).
    b. Ramp up to your 5RM
    c. Choose one weight that you would struggle with on the 5th rep of your 3rd set, and use that for all 3 sets.

Which way would you recommend to use with your 3 day split? I looked through all the pages of this thread but may have missed it if you talked about this.

krease is just really nice. (+1000) krease is just really nice. (+1000) krease is just really nice. (+1000) krease is just really nice. (+1000) krease is just really nice. (+1000) krease is just really nice. (+1000) krease is just really nice. (+1000) krease is just really nice. (+1000) krease is just really nice. (+1000) krease is just really nice. (+1000) krease is just really nice. (+1000)
    Very similar to what I do when I'm not focused solely on strength building

Originally Posted by Chicago1287 View Post
    Tom...I can't believe how patient you are with all of these questions. You get right to the point with your answers. Thanks a lot first of all. I just have one question for right now:

One thing I ALWAYS get confused about is how heavy we should go with each exercise when someone puts up a routine. For example, you say 3-5 reps on the main compound lift. If you were to do 3 sets, I see 3 different ways of doing the lift:

a. Choose your 5RM and try to use that weight for all 3 sets. (which would probably be something like 5, 4, 3 due to fatigue).
    b. Ramp up to your 5RM
    c. Choose one weight that you would struggle with on the 5th rep of your 3rd set, and use that for all 3 sets.

Which way would you recommend to use with your 3 day split? I looked through all the pages of this thread but may have missed it if you talked about this.
    Chicago -

That is a good question and it has not been previously covered in this thread although I did speak briefly about progression. What I would recommend for most individuals looking for a balance of strength and hypertrophy would be to perform the designated number of working sets but to 'ramp up' to the heaviest or most demanding set. Advanced lifters can also perform a drop set on the final working set if they would like.

Here is an example of what a typical training session might look like:

Bench Press:
    *75% x 5
    *80% x 4
    *85% x 4-5

*Percentage of your one-rep maximum.

If someone is focusing more on hypertrophy then they may want to go with a linear scheme similar to your Option A; performing (3) sets of (5) reps at 80%.

I like to include a lot of autoregulation in the programs that I write. On a day when you are feeling good you can push the limit in terms of going heavy. For the days when you are a bit tired you can keep it a bit lighter and just get in your volume.

Hopefully this answers your question; let me know if there is anything else that you might want to discuss.

Originally Posted by jamie93 View Post
    hey tom. i sent you a pm too but I thought id post here as well. (you dont have to reply to both haha).

So yeah I have been on a 4 day routine for a while but Im looking for something different. It was basically a push/pull sort of think but it repeated throughout the week. it was:

pull (i.e. back+biceps) AND legs
    push (i.e. chest+tris) AND shoulders

i repeated this twice throughout the week.

I think this was too much, do you agree?

anyway, my numbers are still low on the main lifts. I would like to gain strength but also focus on hypertrophy. As i am still fairly new to lifting (about 5 months) i think i could make solid gains in both fields, i really just need a solid routine.

I would like your input on which of the routines you have posted would be the most beneficial to me.

Any info, just ask. Good thread-il be watching it
    It does sound like your current routine may not be the most effective, especially for an intermediate or advanced trainee.

If you wanted to work with a two-day rotation then I would go with an Upper/Lower split training your Chest / Back / Shoulders / Triceps on one day and then your Legs and Biceps on the other day - training 3 days per week (M/W/F) and simply alternating between workouts.

Since you are looking to gain strength and size you need to make sure that you are performing heavy compound lifts and allowing for proper recovery while also giving direct attention to all muscle groups. The 4/5-Day split that I posted in this routine would probably be the best option for you, but I can write something custom if you would like to focus on specific muscle groups or exercises.

Originally Posted by junkboxer View Post
    im coming off of a long (18 week) but successful 5x5 routine which was perfectly planned out for me with Bill Starr' Microsoft Calculator. because i was spoiled with that i dont know how to make correct poundage progressions on my own. im taking this week off recover after a long 4.5 months of training and to fine tune this routine to me. heres one question i have sofare:

My 5 rep max for a flat benchpress (im switching it to barbell press because dumbell chest presses dont like my tendons) is 240lbs, which i work up to with 4 previous sets. with your new routine, I'm doing NO warmups and doing 3 sets of 240lbs for five reps? and what about the following week, do i add another 5lbs to my bench? doesn't sound right or even do-able. can you correct my bench press plan here? and really overall how I'm supposed to make poundage progressions on these accessory and isolation movements when my gyms dumbells go up in 5lb increments. for many of your non-compound movements, shouldn't weight progression be VERY SLOW. 5lbs a week seems a bit much. For example, doing hammer curls every week with 5 pounds added every time.
    I have never recommended bypassing warmup sets or increasing weight every single week; perhaps you have confused some of my routines or advice with other programs.

Here is what I recommend in terms of warming up for your workout:

http://www.wannabebig.com/training/p...t-to-hit-a-pr/

For progression I usually recommend a dual-progression program where one week you look to increase weight while the next week you look to increase repetitions. You also do not have to perform the same number of reps each week. Here is an example:

Bench Press Progression for 250 lbs Bencher:

Week 1: Work up to 225 lbs x 3
    Week 2: Work up to 205 lbs x 5
    Week 3: Work up to 215 lbs x 4
    Week 4: Work up to 210 lbs x 5
    Week 5: Work up to 220 lbs x 4
    Week 6: Work up to 215 lbs x 5
    Week 7: Work up to 225 lbs x 4
    Week 8: Deload
    Week 9: Work up to 215 lbs x 5
    Week 10: Work up to 230 lbs x 3
    Week 11: Work up to 210 lbs x 6
    Week 12: Work up to 225 lbs x 4
    Week 13: Work up to 215 lbs x 6
    Week 14: Work up to 235 lbs x 3

After 14 weeks you would have hypothetically have added 10 lbs to your 3RM or about 15 lbs to your 5RM. This would likely yield a 10-15 lbs increase on your 1RM in 3 1/2 months, which I would not consider an 'aggressive' program unless you are a very advanced lifter.

If you are looking for a slow and steady progression template then I would recommend the 5/3/1 protocol from Jim Wendler. It is geared toward strength and not intended for hypertrophy; but can be combined with additional volume for 'hybrid' trainees.

Hope this helps.