Page 25 of 61 FirstFirst ... 15 23 24 25 26 27 35 ... LastLast
    Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by stewyh View Post
    Thanks Eileen, Yesterday i had 57% fat 37% pro and this morning not in keto according to sticks, would that be too much pro or would it be the sticks do you think. ps i also had 27 gr carbs is that too much
    No, that ratio should be reasonable enough for ketosis. I'd say that either you need to allow an extra day, or you are drinking gallons of water.
    65% fat, 30% protein, 5% carbs = keto.

http://www.eileengormley.com/ Funny science fiction for bodybuilders

Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Eileen is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by EpicPalm View Post
    Curious about this too? Did 15 mins on an elliptical/stride machine and it claimed I burned around 275 cals. Just find it hard to believe based on the level of output required for me to complete that
    It's lying. Pretty much all the gym machines do lie. The higher the calorie burn shown on a machine, the more it gets used, and the more often it gets replaced. The machine makers know that it's good business sense to put the highest possible calorie burn on their machines.

An hour's moderate walking is about 300-400 cals an hour. An hour's moderate running is about 800. How does your elliptical compare to running?

New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Its been nearly a week now and the sticks say I'm still not in Keto. Although I do drink about 6 litres of water a day - would that have a effect on the sticks or effects on being in a keto state?

EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    It's lying. Pretty much all the gym machines do lie. The higher the calorie burn shown on a machine, the more it gets used, and the more often it gets replaced. The machine makers know that it's good business sense to put the highest possible calorie burn on their machines.

An hour's moderate walking is about 300-400 cals an hour. An hour's moderate running is about 800. How does your elliptical compare to running?
    I feel more burn in my lower body and slightly warmed up, then I usually run at a mod-high pace for 15-20 mins. Feel more satisfied as far as cal burning goes after the run

I would just assume about 600 cals an hour for any gym machine which makes you sweat and pant. Outside exercise tends to be higher.

Originally Posted by New_Start_2010 View Post
    Its been nearly a week now and the sticks say I'm still not in Keto. Although I do drink about 6 litres of water a day - would that have a effect on the sticks or effects on being in a keto state?
    Yes, that would make a difference. If your urine is very dilute, the ketones don't register.

What are you eating?

EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EpicPalm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yes, that would make a difference. If your urine is very dilute, the ketones don't register.

What are you eating?
    I'm sure the answer to this is all over the place, but while we're on topic when would be the ideal time to check? From the moment I get up til I go to sleep I'm hydrating, yet I've seen that being too dehydrated will cause an erroneous reading. Confused?

New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50) New_Start_2010 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

What are you eating?
    Well I drink quite a bit before I go to bed just before I check it and also upon waking in the morning I drink like 1 litre of water to wake me up and then check so maybe I should check in the middle of the night or something. I eat quite late though so not sure if this has an impact.

Added diet below . . . . . thanks
    Attached Images

Nothing in that diet to cause problems.

Try peeing on the sticks before you start drinking water. Or just after a tough workout.

stewyh has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    No, that ratio should be reasonable enough for ketosis. I'd say that either you need to allow an extra day, or you are drinking gallons of water.
    I got into semi darkness on the sticks after 3 days then went back to nothing with diet staying same. I do drink about 2 or 3 ltrs water but this morning pee was not clear and still sticks say nothing. Will i go in and out of ketosis or once i am in there should i stay there if diet the same. I am on day 6 at the moment, i had a good upper body workout this morning but still sticks say nuh.

Try one day of eggs and meat/fish and see if that changes anything. But honestly don't obsess over the sticks.

Try one day of eggs and meat/fish and see if that changes anything. But honestly don't obsess over the sticks.
    14200 cal after first week on keto,weight was down .5 kg,not much seeing all the weight lost by other people after first week.

Ratios have been correct all week carbs under 30 everday even under 20 for a few days protien under 35% most days never over 40 %and rest fats. I know i have been in ketosis because of breath and smelly pee even though sticks said no.

Is it normal to lose such a little weight?
    Should i add cardio as i did 3 weights sessions and only cardio for week was walking dog for 30min twice.
    Last edited by stewyh; 10-23-2010 at 01:29 AM.

Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000) Atavis is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by stewyh View Post
    Is it normal to lose such a little weight?
    Should i add cardio as i did 3 weights sessions and only cardio for week was walking dog for 30min twice.
    Are you otherwise normally sedentary? If so, you may need to adjust the calories down a little more and it might still take a bit to drop all the water.
    "Arterial plaque is primarily composed of unsaturated fats particularly polyunsaturated ones." (Felton, C V, et al, Lancet, 1994, 344:1195)

How to bulk: http://70sbig.com/food/

Diet = http://i52.tinypic.com/21bhop.png
    ...or something like this daily. Problem? ;)

FFMI = 24

heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So... I followed a Ketogenic Diet for the last few months (CKD) but kind of got off the wagon when I went on R&R from Afghanistan. I'm back in the swing of things and following the diet with no hitches... but I've yet to get the taste in my mouth I had last time around.

I've been following my diet strictly for about 11 days now... closest thing I get to carbs are some Trader Joe's Almonds, and my post-WO whey shake with dextrose. Any ideas as to why this could be? I'm almost positive I'm not missing anything... I dunno.

Also, just to add in, I've yet to do a carb up yet... I'm going to wait to about 14 days in.

Originally Posted by Atavis View Post
    Are you otherwise normally sedentary? If so, you may need to adjust the calories down a little more and it might still take a bit to drop all the water.
    normally pretty active usally workout 4 to 5 times per week with pretty intense workouts.Did not think i would have to go under 2000 cal.

heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50) heytred will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by heytred View Post
    So... I followed a Ketogenic Diet for the last few months (CKD) but kind of got off the wagon when I went on R&R from Afghanistan. I'm back in the swing of things and following the diet with no hitches... but I've yet to get the taste in my mouth I had last time around.

I've been following my diet strictly for about 11 days now... closest thing I get to carbs are some Trader Joe's Almonds, and my post-WO whey shake with dextrose. Any ideas as to why this could be? I'm almost positive I'm not missing anything... I dunno.

Also, just to add in, I've yet to do a carb up yet... I'm going to wait to about 14 days in.
    I feel dumb posting this in retrospect. I know I'm in keto, I've known if I would just really listen to my body and trust what I'm doing.

It's going great. I had an amazing workout (tons of energy like always) but afterwards felt really worn out. Means I'm ready for "first" carb up on Friday.

got my testosterone results back and was 10.8 (range between 11-40) would that be why i cant lose weight and feeling like crap

It wouldn't help. How long have you been on keto?

It wouldn't help. How long have you been on keto?
    one day to go before carb up so only 13 days.I went into keto on strips after day 3 but then according to strips nothing. On the odd day pee smelt like i was on it but nothing on strips. I have kept diet same and cal around 2200 but have only lost .5kg. Should i do depletion workout tomorrow and carb up to see how i feel or keep up without it to make sure i can get used to being in ketosis if im there

If you've been eating low carb for two weeks, you could do very small carb-up, and see what happens.

Is there a history of diabetes in your family? If so, you may have to be even tighter with the carbs than usual, at least until you get going.

The good news is that a keto diet should help to bring your test levels up.

If you've been eating low carb for two weeks, you could do very small carb-up, and see what happens.

Is there a history of diabetes in your family? If so, you may have to be even tighter with the carbs than usual, at least until you get going.

The good news is that a keto diet should help to bring your test levels up.
    Thanks for the advise will do depleation workout tomorrow and then small carb up,i just feel like im in that between stage being half in keto with being foggy and lethargic all the time even though i have had good weight workouts this week iv done no cardio as no energy to do so. Have not had that heaps of energy that you are supposed to have when on keto.Also one thing i have not been having is carbs after workout should i be and if so is that part of my 30grams for the day.
    Last edited by stewyh; 10-27-2010 at 06:42 PM.

Until you are solidly into ketosis, I would go for 20g of carbs a day, and that includes PWO carbs. It sounds like you are constantly on the edge of ketosis. Make a push, get solidly in, and make sure you stay in.

Some people are more carb-sensitive than others. Also, you are not doing cardio, which means you need to be more precise about your carbs. Someone doing a lot of cardio can get away with stuff you can't.

Until you are solidly into ketosis, I would go for 20g of carbs a day, and that includes PWO carbs. It sounds like you are constantly on the edge of ketosis. Make a push, get solidly in, and make sure you stay in.

Some people are more carb-sensitive than others. Also, you are not doing cardio, which means you need to be more precise about your carbs. Someone doing a lot of cardio can get away with stuff you can't.
    ok ta

well i went to phisio before depletion workout as i have had dodgy knee and he said not to do any bent knee exercises(there goes squats). Any way did upper pretty good and decided to do dead lifts anyway and wouldnt you know had to quit as i strained my back.
    My question as this is my first depletion and stuffed it up should i still have carb up as it has been 14days i have allready had 200 grams carbs for the day should i keep going for rest of day or will that do.

200g of carbs is plenty. Stick to protein and veggie foods for the rest of the day, then keto as normal tomorrow.

kmz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    been on CKD for 2 months. dropped 10lbs and went up in most exercises
    im 5' 8" at 144 lbs - 5x5 205lb bench, 3x10 495 leg press just to give idea of my size

still can't see 6 pack yet. just outline so far; man how low (weight) do i have to go??? lol im getting into the female range

Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000) Kenshinhimora is just really nice. (+1000)

dextrose in smarties

Hey guys, I was told by Eileen that smarties had dextrose in them so after driving to like 8 stores today looking for some glucose or any sort of sugar that had dextrose as it's main ingredient, I couldn't find any (well splenda had it, but it was like 10 dollars for 50 packets so screw that) so I picked up a few bags of Smarties. The label says its 6 grams of carbs (6 grams of sugar) in one roll, so should I take two full rolls post workout? Starting keto when I wake up today and I have to lift too so this would be really helpful, thanks!
    My weightloss / body composition guide:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d4mKi51EUUWQOUKz43QtAHrL8KUtwB9P-idTay597oc/pub

8/26/12-5/4/13 cut in my bodyspace

kmz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    u couldn't find any smarties but u bought some? im confused

Originally Posted by Kenshinhimora View Post
    Hey guys, I was told by Eileen that smarties had dextrose in them so after driving to like 8 stores today looking for some glucose or any sort of sugar that had dextrose as it's main ingredient, I couldn't find any (well splenda had it, but it was like 10 dollars for 50 packets so screw that) so I picked up a few bags of Smarties. The label says its 6 grams of carbs (6 grams of sugar) in one roll, so should I take two full rolls post workout? Starting keto when I wake up today and I have to lift too so this would be really helpful, thanks!
    Try one roll to start, and see how that works.

Finished my carb up tonight... felt like crap, but good at the same time... if that makes any sense. I'm planning out my meals for tomorrow and this what my macros comes to.

5'9" 154 lbs. btw.

-1,778 calories
    -121.5g of fat
    -13g of carbs
    -151g of protein

That's about 63f/35p/3c... I love when you write it out, add it up, and it comes out just about perfect. =]]