Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by HoosierBoy View Post
    This is nonsense. If you don't squat, you're depriving yourself of a huge testosteronie release and you're also not working your stabilizers. Also you're contributing to economic recession and urban violence in Iraq.
    + global warming

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by cyde View Post
    Damn right, DD, my gym has one of the 90 degree leg press machines. It's a great piece of equipment, and hardly any one in my gym uses it! Huzzah.
    Yep. Everyone wants to stick with the easy as pie angled versions where they can pile on the weight like ronnie coleman. The vertical version is much tougher and the weight is very true to form.

Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Earthtime has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Ya know, Diamond, everybody's always looking for a way to do loaded pushups and can't figure out how. Well, there's the device for you. Throw a pad on the back and weighted pushups safely!

You may now rep me freely! lol

masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) masterjb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Earthtime View Post
    Ya know, Diamond, everybody's always looking for a way to do loaded pushups and can't figure out how. Well, there's the device for you. Throw a pad on the back and weighted pushups safely!

hah, good call

rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250) rplass has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by DiamondDelts View Post
    Yes the basic movement is about the same on a smith machine. Just less safe.
    Based on your experience with both Smith Machine leg presses and the stand-alone vertical leg press, what do you mean? How is the Smith Machine version less safe?

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Jolly good stuff, DD. Those machines are rare in gyms. Last I saw one was about 10 years ago in Dallas. I tried it and liked it very much.

I do however, understand the poster that said it bothered his lower back. It really has the same stress on the lower back that the Leg Press does.

But, if your back can handle it, which mine can, it is an awesome machine. For me, if I had access, it would be a rotational (periodized) exercise.
    Helping one person may not change the world, but it could change the world for one person.

swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) swa513 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    one leg's are da fun, i have been doing tham at the gym lately and they really kick my arse, i have also been using my smith at home for leg press & it seems to work very well.

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Earthtime View Post

That is a good idea. You can also do weighted pushups using the smith machine as well.

Originally Posted by rplass View Post
    Based on your experience with both Smith Machine leg presses and the stand-alone vertical leg press, what do you mean? How is the Smith Machine version less safe?
    Because most smith machines have the rolling lock mechanism where you have to roll them forward to lock the bar into place. Kinda hard to do that from a laying position. Though some of the more quality smith racks have safety pins so this is not a concern.

blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    We had one my highschool gym. It was pretty gnarly and it always looked somewhat dangerous (this was before I did any lifting whatsoever)..

I'd love to try it now though, but that's the only place I've ever seen it.

DD, it would actually be better if we had the verticals in my current college gym. There wouldn't be so many 45s missing when someone was training legs. (all those fools who still have chicken legs while leg pressing a half the plates in our gym)
    If life gives you lemons, say **** the lemons and bail.

Squats on the trampoline FatAzz's Avatar
    FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50) FatAzz will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Was there any problem with your a$$ lifting off the ground? I have that problem with angled leg presses and somehow feel it might make it worse with the vertical press. Just idle curiosity as i don't have access to a vertical one.

Originally Posted by FatAzz View Post
    Was there any problem with your a$$ lifting off the ground? I have that problem with angled leg presses and somehow feel it might make it worse with the vertical press. Just idle curiosity as i don't have access to a vertical one.
    Nope. My ass stay perfectly on the bench pad. Though I rarely go over 250lbs so I am not straining to get the weight by any means. I do believe some people try to pile on too much weight and end up straining, rbringing their butt of the pad, and rounding their lower back to try to get the weight up.

Though I am not saying this is the case with everyone. Like KSA stated earlier some guys are just not built for it/don't like it and might experience lower back pain or difficulty staying in position regardless.

hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000)
    I saw one for sale at a play it again sports...It was 199 it was that or a squat rack.....nuff said but I want one though...Once I complet my basement gym man I am gonna say down with cardinal fitness...
    $$$$BIG MONEY BALLER CREW$$$$$

Lifetime reps..
    kenkong..n00bi3..Drew23

Originally Posted by hjayss View Post
    I saw one for sale at a play it again sports...It was 199 it was that or a squat rack.....nuff said but I want one though...Once I complet my basement gym man I am gonna say down with cardinal fitness...
    Dammit. You lucky sob. I looked EVERYWHERE for a used one. This is one of the FEW times that craigslist and play it again sports failed me so I had to buy a new one. Life is so unfair sometimes.

hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000) hjayss is just really nice. (+1000)
    Dammit. You lucky sob. I looked EVERYWHERE for a used one. This is one of the FEW times that craigslist and play it again sports failed me so I had to buy a new one. Life is so unfair sometimes.
    The joy of chitown...You know I went back ot get some colars and it was gone..I am on the list ext time they get one it is on...

Lifetime reps..
    kenkong..n00bi3..Drew23

blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500) blindside is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It is a strong possibility that I will be starting to collect pieces of equipment for a future garage gym. Power rack first addition? (Been creepin ebay)
    If life gives you lemons, say **** the lemons and bail.

strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    ...if i drive to texas and knock on your door, will you let me in to try this marvelous peice of equipment?

i saw someone doing it in MD a few months ago and was like, "damn i wish i could try that", but i've never actually seen one in person.

(my tendons would probably snap off--but it'd be worth it for one time )
    --I'm afraid of what I don't believe in--

Originally Posted by strawser9 View Post
    ...if i drive to texas and knock on your door, will you let me in to try this marvelous peice of equipment?

i saw someone doing it in MD a few months ago and was like, "damn i wish i could try that", but i've never actually seen one in person.

(my tendons would probably snap off--but it'd be worth it for one time )
    Almost time for the gym to open huh are they waiting to get in...ha ha ha ha that is some hard core **** there buddy just wanna try it even if I snap a tendon just wanna feel the weight you a bad man..

Lifetime reps..
    kenkong..n00bi3..Drew23

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by UtahRocks View Post
    Ever went down a steep hill, trying to keep your speed under control? The quads are the main brake, they're doing "negatives". Basically the quads are working to prevent the knees from flexing too quickly. Hope that makes sense.
    Perfect sense, eccentric training is cool!

However, going uphill backwards should have a similar concentric match to this...

Fears Chuck Norris JimmyChitwood's Avatar
    JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I love this Ode. DD, I like how you think.

Vertical leg press is awesome indeed. Oh, how it bakes the quads and hams (especially on a deep press). I do not have the real machine, but I do them on my Smith. And it is goooooood. I'm actually able to control the smith bar hooks with subtle changes in foot position so I can unlock and lock the smith bar hooks quite reliably. I use the smith safety catches as backup, just in case I reach total failure or if somehow the bar slipped off my feet. Neither has happed yet.

I'm in agreement with your thoughts on the 45 degree press - it's not without value, but you're robbing yourself of hard work. Gravity pulls vertically, so work done in that plane is more intense than on a 45 degree plane. We used to load the leg press with well over 900 pounds back in the day, thinking "wow are we impressive", but all in all it speaks to the inefficiency of the machine. Now I can put 300 to 400 pounds on the smith (my home gym vertical leg press) and do the same work in a snap. And loading and unloading the machine takes half the time! (OK, I'm starting to sound like an appliance commercial or something.)
    ~Forgiven~

My Training Log and Record of Adventures:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=441433851

strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50) strawser9 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by hjayss View Post
    Almost time for the gym to open huh are they waiting to get in...ha ha ha ha that is some hard core **** there buddy just wanna try it even if I snap a tendon just wanna feel the weight you a bad man..
    i'm on eastern time...i didn't even see your post
    i open at 5 eastern. them bastards sit there in the parking lot at 4:30

i dont' know what they do, but they are sick, sick people.
    i open at exactly 5:00am every morning now...unless i get stuck by a train(damn michigan) then like 5:05 or so lol. they claw at the doors.
    --I'm afraid of what I don't believe in--

wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000) wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000) wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000) wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000) wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000) wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000) wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000) wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000) wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000) wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000) wildphucker is just really nice. (+1000)
    Great exercise but I always fear being unable to get the weight up and being crushed like the Terminator exoskeleton.

Fears Chuck Norris JimmyChitwood's Avatar
    JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500) JimmyChitwood is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by wildphucker View Post
    Great exercise but I always fear being unable to get the weight up and being crushed like the Terminator exoskeleton.
    Arnold frowns on this.
    "Living tissue over metal endoskeleton." - Arnold as Cyberdine Systems Model 101.

Why do I remember crap like this?? I forgot the PIN to my bank card the other day!
    ~Forgiven~

My Training Log and Record of Adventures:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=441433851

Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam greyhair's Avatar
    greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000) greyhair is just really nice. (+1000)
    I loved that machine.
    There was one in a gym I use. They took it out along with a lot of other equipment. I believe it was to get rid of the serious lifters. The free space is now being used for pee-lat-eze classes.
    But those who fight for right must remember St. Augustine's sage words,
    "right is right even if no one is doing it...and wrong is wrong even if every one is doing it!"
    -----------
    Got Causality?
    -----------
    God, Duty, Honour, Country

Originally Posted by strawser9 View Post
    i'm on eastern time...i didn't even see your post
    i open at 5 eastern. them bastards sit there in the parking lot at 4:30

i dont' know what they do, but they are sick, sick people.
    i open at exactly 5:00am every morning now...unless i get stuck by a train(damn michigan) then like 5:05 or so lol. they claw at the doors.
    ha ha ha lol...just saw this...hey up to 33 nice ...I am gonna bust my neg cherry I almost dont wanna do it...the guy called me an idiot you know I like to post funny pics...guess he got his thongs in a bunch over it...oh well cant make everybody laugh...lol...

Lifetime reps..
    kenkong..n00bi3..Drew23

squatting until i vomit PureAlpha's Avatar
    PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i already have excellent results from squats, so why should i use this? pretty good machine for calf raises though.

mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mAssholio has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by PureAlpha View Post
    i already have excellent results from squats, so why should i use this? pretty good machine for calf raises though.
    i doubt that

PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PureAlpha has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by mAssholio View Post
    i doubt that
    that's because i'm actually not afraid to work hard. i doubt you do anything else than curls and machines/cables.

chitown's own dtrain dtrain1027's Avatar
    dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10) dtrain1027 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PureAlpha View Post
    that's because i'm actually not afraid to work hard. i doubt you do anything else than curls and machines/cables.
    we will call him red man.....how about a little more red for ya buddy...
    Last edited by dtrain1027; 01-25-2008 at 11:51 AM.
    Sival rep bet
    hjayss now onto the next rep bet..
    Big Arm Big Pay

Originally Posted by dtrain1027 View Post
    we will call him red man.....how about a little more red for ya buddy...
    your reps don't do **** assclown.

also, the fact that saying you have results with said exercise gives you a neg speaks alot about this forum. always all or nothing here. i guess i should join the bandwagon and hate squats when they have added 6+ inches on my quads in three months.