Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I disagree. I think it would be a huge advantage. Would you rather have a trainer with a CHES or AFAA???? It may not be practical, but the education would speak for itself.

sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I took this test 2 yrs ago and passed the first time around. I've always had ACE (blech) for the cheap liability insurance and never bothered to tell anyone that I had this. Part of the reason why is because the website at the time seemed very lame and so I figured they were some craptastic-cert group and that they would try to squeeze me later on.

Now I look at the site and I get a different feel for things. First, the test was just as people have described it. It was a brain-drain and it did take 3 hours. It seemed very thorough. I don't recall any stupid questions like 'the tricep pressdown works which muscle?' Many questions seemed to be answerable through deduction and intuition, which is prolly why i passed it since I was certain I didn't, (my second major in college was Philosophy)

As for accreditation: their site really hammers on the accreditation process, which I find admirable. I've always thought 'accreditation' to be a load of crap myself. I've been in the industry for 8 yrs now and I've seen many certified trainers from 'accredited' org's that seem to border on the imbecilic. I've become a member of the CrossFit cult and have their cert. My game blew up more in 2 days than it did from any other test-based cert or live seminar I've ever been to. I know BB.com generally hates CrossFit, but for the sake of this thread I would say this: just the hands on nature of the cert alone is enough to trump any cert out there. And CrossFit is not accredited and frankly they don't care. There are other quality certs like Paul Chek's, USAW's and Gray Cook's that are more specialty cert's but by themselves offer so much more useful data despite NOT being accredited.

The 'big 4' as mentioned earlier, as well as others, are accredited yet all possess nearly identical information despite the objective fact that exercise science is barely science at all. The lot of them use 'the science' that is available yet there are no reliable first principles to derive from. Example: in physics, every scientist will tell you the laws of gravity and thermodynamics. From that they are able to make real world applications. It is reliable, useful, and measurable. Thus, physics is the ****.
    In fitness, we can't even find a consensus on how to lose weight. The science is always inconsistent, the arguments for different methods are defined by two camps, and there exist no 'laws' of fitness. The selling point at CF for me was that they actually tried (and I think m ostly succeeded) in defining fitness, and even then it that still has some flaws.

That being said, waaaaaay too much of this biznass is about ridiculous gadgetry and unnecessary exogenous chemical manipulation. I am personally leaving ACE because while they reject supplements and infomercial products, they continually fail to critically analyze anything that comes from the ACSM (America's Committee to Support Mediocrity). I'm moving to NSCA, but again its mostly for insurance and a step up in regular gym cred

Note: NSCA does have a PT cert, but I'm going CSCS
    Last edited by sasquatch989; 02-09-2009 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spal chekeng

sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sasquatch989 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So basically, counting on a cert to make you awesome or show you the path of fitness becuase it is accredited is silly.

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)
    So true. The "accreditation" seals on everyone's websites are a complete joke. I read all the time about how people are asking, "are they accredited with blah blah?", as if they really know what they are talking about. The good certs are good because of the content of their material. That's it. Not because some lame acceditation company says so. For example, NASM is an awesome cert. I think they only hurt their image by posting aprroval from NCCA. Who the fu** is the NCCA. Have you ever seen an ad from them? Have you ever seen them sponsor any sort of fitness contest or bodybuilding event? Do you ever see them on TV or hear about them on the radio? They are a ghost company that absolutely no one but personal trainers have heard of. It's really sad.

Good man for leaving ACE. The sooner trainers reject that sort of nonsense, the better.

risetofame has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

National Health Educators Certification

NHE is probably one of the better certification formats because it is relevant information and they make you take a very hard exam to get certified. It was a pain to get, in terms of the stress, but I?ve been happy with the program. I?m finding it hard to keep my clientele because of the crappy economy. About 1/3 of my clients have cut back on expenses and it?s getting harder and harder to get new ones. Anyone with any business suggestions?

Does anyone do corporate wellness/training? If so, is it a viable market?

killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i just got notified today of the exam. Apparently it's legit?
    Oh my god, it even has a watermark.

Some say their too legit because the exam is really hard. If you are not the real deal, you will not pass the exam because the questions are ivy league type questions. Totally brutal. I've heard complaints from trainers assuming just because they passed other exams, that they should have been able to pass the NHE certification but that is a mistake. I don't know why anyone would think they can pass an exam without that particular programs study guide. Honestly, I wouldn't want a certification that I didn't have to study for. That would be lame. It basically says the exam was so easy that anyone, without studying, could pass.
    Last edited by risetofame; 02-19-2009 at 05:01 PM.

sarahlivian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) sarahlivian has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

They're legit. If you fail it, don't dispair. It's a really hard program.

Has anyone heard of WITS? Are they any good?

There are pretty good. I think mostly colleges sponser their program. They have been around for a while but still aren't very popular. I think they are mostly an east coast thing because I don't know of anyone who has there certification out west.

AngelaParker has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    WITS is a good certification. Their website sucks though. i don't think they've updated it in a few years.

JessciaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I didn't like the WITS program. Last year I took the NPTI program and it was more informative. I think the NPTI program is too expensive for a certification program. If I had it to do over, I think I would register for the ACSM program instead.

What did you not like about the WITS program?

JessciaR has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The main proplem I had with them were the exercise classes were kinda elementary. It was mostly basic exercise prescription that I already knew. I didn't feel like I walked away with alot after it was all over.

Interesting. I've heard contrasting opions about WITS. I'm not even sure WITS is widely accepted because I don't really know of any trainers who are certified through them. Everyone seems to be ACE or NASM certified. Probably becuase they're cheap and widely accepted.

Registered User riseofthemachin's Avatar
    riseofthemachin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

I'm NHE certified and NASM certiifed. Two very different programs but both well recommended to me by the other trainers at my gym. I graduated with a n exercise science degrre and I'm hoping to make personal training a career. It's somewhat hard to gauge the success rate for the industry seeing that some trainers stick around and others seem to dissapear. Why would anyone want to leave personal training? It seems like a dream job. I plan on weathering the "financial storm" because I believe things will be much better on the other side..... whenever that is

national health educators

Me too. I'm actually hoping more trainers leave because it will more than not be the ones who should have never been trainers to begin with. By December, there should still be plenty of fish in the sea, but for the first time in a while, not as many fisherman!

Fingers crossed.

National Health Educators

l0l! I never thought of it that way!!!!!!!!!!!!

killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000) killmaggie is a name known to all. (+5000)
    just took the personal trainer test.,,how long til my results?

PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) PapaDaca has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

who has a NHE trainer study guide

who has the study guide????
    send me a copy to
    papadaca@msn.com

I wouldnt mind taking the test.
    There used to be link to sites that could help you out, but the evil prudes made me take them down!!
    :(

if you wantem ask me!!!!!

Originally Posted by killmaggie View Post
    just took the personal trainer test.,,how long til my results?
    anyone?

skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

NHE personal training

I took the Master Trainer exam in January of this year and it took about one month to hear back from them. I barely passed with a 91%, after my first try (which I won't mention what I scored) They have 20 different certification exams for the Master program and each one has a different study guide and so unless you have the inside scoop as to which exam you are assigned, you may end up borrowing (and worst-studying) the wrong study guide. I didn't want to take a chance so I just bought mine. I'm really glad I did because I do not think I could have passed it without it, even with a degree in exercise kinesiology.

RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) RDFinders is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Originally Posted by noremacs View Post
    Greetings,
    Did you have a favorable experiences with National Health Educators? I'm researching them before I embark on any of their certifications. If you could provide me with this information I'd be most grateful.

Thank You,
    Stuart
    I have taken the exam. It is difficult, esp if you do not have the studyguide. Good solid questions on the exam. But I wasn't sure about its acceptance, but I work for myself, so it didn't matter to me.
    www.RDFinders.com

Come check out my workouts and progress in my online journal

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=305088761#post305088761

It is my progression for qualifying for November's Nationals in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) skyheart has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

NHE Certification

Acceptance means absolutely nothing these days because anyone worth his/her weight in "personal trainer fees" isn't working for a gym anymore. The days of setting up shop inside a fitness center and making a decent living are over. The only real purpose a gym can serve a personal trainer is as a starting point. Get in, make as many contacts as possible and take those folks the hell outta there! You should not steer your career in the direction of what your local gym thinks because chances are, they will be out of business in less than 10 years anyway.

Has anyone heard of APEX? Is it a good program or is it another one of those supplement MLM deals?

1repgymgirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

NHE Master Trainer exam question

Originally Posted by skyheart View Post
    I took the Master Trainer exam in January of this year and it took about one month to hear back from them. I barely passed with a 91%, after my first try (which I won't mention what I scored) They have 20 different certification exams for the Master program and each one has a different study guide and so unless you have the inside scoop as to which exam you are assigned, you may end up borrowing (and worst-studying) the wrong study guide. I didn't want to take a chance so I just bought mine. I'm really glad I did because I do not think I could have passed it without it, even with a degree in exercise kinesiology.
    I know there are several different tests. I was wondering whether the questions were multiple choice, T/F, fill-in-the-blank, diagram labeling, essay, etc.? If you had essay questions, could you give me an example of one?

1repgymgirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Question about the NHE Master Trainer exam

Originally Posted by CoQ10 View Post
    From the "Master Trainer" exam:

From the "Fitness Nutritionist" exam:

-C10
    Just wanted to know if a lot of the questions want you to "explain"? Is the test format multiple choice, T/F, fill-in-the-blank, essay? Do you have another example of a test question? Thanks

NHE Certification

The buzz is, the only people who can pass their exam without a study guide are those with an exercise science degree or 15 years in personal training. I have been a trainer for a long time and I have a fitness related degree but I just felt more comfortable getting a study guide because I can afford it and I wanted a guarantee I'd pass. As far as the test format, there are different types. I don't think you are going to really be able to figure out what "type" of exam you'll get before you actually get to see it for yourself. Besides, what difference does it make what the format is? You don't prepare for an exam format, you prepare for the exam subjects.

I saw a link to this "fly-by-night" website called starting a personal training business.com and it was really funny. There are all of these losers on there complaining about how they failed the exam. Why anyone would post on a ****ty site like that, instead of coming over here with the big boys and gals is beyond me.

Why would anyone take advice from some sack named Katie when she can't even develop a professional site with a real forum. Too funny!! Thank goodness for bodybuiding.com.

MattRuns has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) MattRuns has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Nhe

Originally Posted by skyheart View Post
    The buzz is, the only people who can pass their exam without a study guide are those with an exercise science degree or 15 years in personal training. I have been a trainer for a long time and I have a fitness related degree but I just felt more comfortable getting a study guide because I can afford it and I wanted a guarantee I'd pass. As far as the test format, there are different types. I don't think you are going to really be able to figure out what "type" of exam you'll get before you actually get to see it for yourself. Besides, what difference does it make what the format is? You don't prepare for an exam format, you prepare for the exam subjects.
    I recently signed up for the NHE Master Trainer exam and purchased the study guide. I have applied to NHE to be an exam processor and they require NHE certification (of course). I'm finding their exam process quite confusing. The study guide is very pedestrian. It simply lists definitions of basic terms from sports medicine, exercise physiology, anatomy, nutrition/supplements/ergogenic aids and bioenergetics. It hardly seems worth $150 (or $300 full price). I don't understand how this specific study guide can be related to my specific exam (you get one of the 10 exams per the study guide). I find it a concern that they do not reveal the exam format. I will disagree that one does not prepare for the study format, just the content. In order to have the best chance of passing one should study based on both. I have never seen a certification exam (or standardized test such as the GRE) that did not provide sample tests and a description of the exam format.

Would those of you who have taken the Master Trainer exam please expand on your descriptions of the test, etc?

Thanks!

Matt