Closed Thread
Page 107 of 336 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 157 207 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 10051
    piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by DangerDan View Post
    That's awesome. How many lessons have you taken a week? How much do lessons normally cost?
    I had one lesson a week. I paid about £13 for 30 minutes, after a discout since I paid for few lessons in advance. That's about $30 for half an hour? I really don't know what's the conversion rate atm.

Keep in mind that you still have to put in bulk of the work, the teacher can show you how to do something but it's up to you to pratice and play every day.
    Workout journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116712111

NOTHING is sacred.

"BUT... it's way too easy to get caught up in all this ****ing minutia- like the kids on the Teen forums who won't eat regular peanut butter because it has 4g of sugar or whatever, ATG nazis, obsessing about every part of training, etc. Simplicity works." -101CavGrunt

MJ= Jordan, not Jackson mjfan12's Avatar
    mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Guys, I think I decided to get the Ibanez RG321MH for $300 new.

I like the unfinished wood look. The MH has infinity pickups and the new E version which is $350 is the same guitar except it comes with EMG H3/H4 passives.

Is the $50 extra worth it? The main drawback besides price is that the E only comes in black or white painted, I want the oiled raw wood look of the MH.

Plus I believe EMG passives aren't highly rated, so shouldn't I be able to have better picks installed later on?

I am contemplating getting the thing used off ebay, but I'm concerned about the condition it will be. I bought many things from ebay used, but wood and necks need to be straight and in good condition so I don't know if saving the $60 is worth it for my peace of mind.

most places offer free shipping so I won't have to pay that. I bought from musicians friend before so they are legit for me.

Plus the new models the 2010 versions have the new Gibralter fixed bridges. I have no idea why these are better, but newer means better right?

So I want to ensure I get the newest components currently available.

Finally I do want to upgrade the pickups eventually, but have no idea where to start in terms of researching them. Watch tons of youtube reviews?

I do want passives since I don't want to deal with batteries and body cavity modding. I will pay a pro to do these since I suck at soldering.

Basically I love the german industrial Rammstein, oomph, etc sound, so what are some good pickups for this sort of high gain, aggressive sound?
    Last edited by mjfan12; 08-19-2010 at 11:16 PM.

piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Have you even played the guitar? If it sounds good, no problem, if you think it needs the pickups replaced, replace the pickups. Why are you asking us about something which is ultimately subjective. Your post makes it sound as if you've never even touched the guitar you want to buy.

NOTHING is sacred.

"BUT... it's way too easy to get caught up in all this ****ing minutia- like the kids on the Teen forums who won't eat regular peanut butter because it has 4g of sugar or whatever, ATG nazis, obsessing about every part of training, etc. Simplicity works." -101CavGrunt

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Why upgrade the pickups unless they feedback?

Different pickups might have more output, but they will not change the way your amp sounds(unless they are pure crap, which the Ibanez are not).
    If the guitar sounds bad through the amp, it is usually THE AMP.
    Unless you are getting feedback at stage volumes, why waste the money.
    That's like the guys who put a lift kit on their trucks that never leave the pavement.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    Why upgrade the pickups unless they feedback?

Different pickups might have more output, but they will not change the way your amp sounds(unless they are pure crap, which the Ibanez are not).
    If the guitar sounds bad through the amp, it is usually THE AMP.
    Unless you are getting feedback at stage volumes, why waste the money.
    That's like the guys who put a lift kit on their trucks that never leave the pavement.
    Picksups will change the sound of the guitar by a fair about - but yes, the amp is usually the bigger issue.
    Ball-Worthy [bawl-wur-thee]
    -adjective

1) Something so epic you would sacrifice a testicle to get your hands on it:

-nano's journal is ball-worthy;
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=117646471

-nano's guitar
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=124088321

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by nano.ix View Post
    Picksups will change the sound of the guitar by a fair about - but yes, the amp is usually the bigger issue.
    to a degree they will, if the stock ones are crap
    however, a quality amp will make most pickups sound great, unless the pickups are crap
    but stock Ibanez RG3's are not bad and sound great through a good amp

obviously a change from a jazz to a dimebucker will change the sound, but the change from a 'hot' mfgr pickup won't make as much difference as a change from a Fender Champ to Line 6 on Insane setting
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.

MJ= Jordan, not Jackson mjfan12's Avatar
    mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mjfan12 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    have i even played? yea but i'm a total beginner and prefer getting a decent mid level guitar over my squire i currently have. My amp is the Peavey Vypyr 30 which is a pretty decent amp for my needs. it should sound great.

I don't plan on changing pups any time soon, just was wondering whether the $50 was worth it getting the E model that had passive EMG or will the infinity pups suffice for a beginner.

I know I won't be able to tell the difference any time soon. Plus the cheaper model has the bare wood oiled finish that I am digging. so might as well save $50 and skip the EMG.

And yeah I never played the model I want since they dont have them in the stores. they need to be ordered.

so i will be buying it anyways. This unit got great reviews so I trust it will be good. plus anything will be better than my squire affinity.

PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000) PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000) PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000) PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000) PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000) PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000) PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000) PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000) PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000) PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000) PhrygianLydian is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PhrygianLydian View Post
    Here's an interesting guy not many people have heard of

Outro solo starts at 5:30
    an hero check this out plz

schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000) schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000) schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000) schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000) schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000) schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000) schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000) schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000) schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000) schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000) schabowy90 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Taking a break from A7X and steve vai and yngwie malmsteen and all that ****.

In the blues mood lately,

Heres a little quick improv thing I made a few days ago. Ill try and make some better more epic riff SRV type **** sooner or later.
    Snatch: 122
    CJ: 142

Log: http://adamkosna.blogspot.com/

Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by schabowy90 View Post
    Heres a little quick improv thing I made a few days ago. Ill try and make some better more epic riff SRV type **** sooner or later.\
    seeing "SRV" or hearing his name always makes me want to go listen to him, brb listening to texas flood

btw i liked the video
    -- Traditional Wet Shaving Crew --
    -- Cold Shower Crew --

Goals:
    May _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Aug
    18 - . . . . . . . . . . . 64

Sound good. I liked the vid.

NOTHING is sacred.

DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    n00b here,

what thickness guitar pick should I get? I've been using this .60mm forever and it's good, but should I be using other thicknesses? I only have one pick and I'm afraid I'll lose it, so I'mma order some more. Lol. I remember way back when I played for a week and quit I had some thicker ones I believe and I liked them better than this .60mm, but maybe that was only because I started playing with those.

Thanks.

Also, should I go ahead and get a capo? Or nah?

Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000) Z06 is just really nice. (+1000)
    n00b here,

what thickness guitar pick should I get? I've been using this .60mm forever and it's good, but should I be using other thicknesses? I only have one pick and I'm afraid I'll lose it, so I'mma order some more. Lol. I remember way back when I played for a week and quit I had some thicker ones I believe and I liked them better than this .60mm, but maybe that was only because I started playing with those.

Thanks.

Acoustic? Electric? Style of music?

Picks are cheap, try out a bunch. I know Dunlop (and I'm sure other brands) makes a variety pack that has several different thicknesses.

I like using .73mm myself, but try out some different ones.
    -- Traditional Wet Shaving Crew --
    -- Cold Shower Crew --

Goals:
    May _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Aug
    18 - . . . . . . . . . . . 64

DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000) DangerDan is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Z06 View Post
    Acoustic? Electric? Style of music?

Picks are cheap, try out a bunch. I know Dunlop (and I'm sure other brands) makes a variety pack that has several different thicknesses.

I like using .73mm myself, but try out some different ones.
    My bad, acoustic. And I'm using a dunlop now as well.

Will do. Thanks.

Also try out picks of the same thickness but from a different company. I was using 0.6mm Peavey picks for a long time and then I experimented with 1.0mm Dunlop nylons. They feel just about the same, despite the fact that Dunlops should feel heavier and thicker. I do prefer the Dunlops more though, its these tiny things that make a difference. For reference, even 0.73 from Peavey are too thick for me so I dunno how that works.

NOTHING is sacred.

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by PhrygianLydian View Post
    an hero check this out plz
    ok

n00b here,

Thanks.

Well for acoustic you'll want thin picks. You definitely don't want to be using a Jazz III or something while playing acoustic guitar. Honestly the pick brand won't make any difference whatsoever to you if you're just strumming chords, so just buy a pack of these

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...zen?sku=110841

12 thin picks for 2 dollars.

Also, yes, buy a capo. http://accessories.musiciansfriend.c...ing?sku=361600

It's me again!
    Properly covered Holy Wars this time.
    Check it out.

The Whole song:

Just the solo:

I love this solo. It's just perfect. My cover isn't note for note, it's a bit improvised, I hate playing solos note for note.

*gets ready for An Hero to say something negative*

NOTHING is sacred.

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    strong completely random stream of notes with no concept of phrasing. But hey, your technique is great for the amount of time you've been playing, man. I'm more of a blues guy so I couldn't play that

Also you should learn solos note for note. I don't like doing it either, for me improvising is what music is about, but it will definitely help your technique and phrasing to learn other people's solos. I wouldn't neglect it if I were you (I neglected it and now I'm starting to regret it)

Originally Posted by An hero View Post
    strong completely random stream of notes with no concept of phrasing. But hey, your technique is great for the amount of time you've been playing, man. I'm more of a blues guy so I couldn't play that

Also you should learn solos note for note. I don't like doing it either, for me improvising is what music is about, but it will definitely help your technique and phrasing to learn other people's solos. I wouldn't neglect it if I were you (I neglected it and now I'm starting to regret it)
    Haha, have you heard the original solo? The way Dave plays, it usually is a random stream of notes. It looks more chaotic than it is really, I know what I'm playing.

I wish I could learn solos note for note, I just don't have the memory to do it. Everytime I attempt to learn something I just can't memorise it. And the only way to practice your memory is to memorise something, so I don't have many options here lol. It took me like a month to learn this song.

Thanks for your comment. Appreciated.

NOTHING is sacred.

Originally Posted by piszczel View Post
    Haha, have you heard the original solo? The way Dave plays, it usually is a random stream of notes.
    One of the reasons I don't really like metal that much

I wish I could learn solos note for note, I just don't have the memory to do it. Everytime I attempt to learn something I just can't memorise it. And the only way to practice your memory is to memorise something, so I don't have many options here lol. It took me like a month to learn this song.

Thanks for your comment. Appreciated.
    Just gotta start off simple. First solo I learned was the one from Baba O'Riley by the Who. Simple and memorable (you can hum it, which is the sign of a good solo). Probably be boring for you though. The first solo I actually transcribed myself was Sympathy for the Devil, which is a killer blues solo

Another thing, what do you guys do for a warmup? I don't really have a warmup as such, I just usually play a riff or something and then I decide "k, I'm warmed up enough" and move on. I don't really have a routine or anything and recently my picking hand is feeling quite weak and it can quite affect my fast picking at times. I had this months ago when I started playing, then it was fine for ages and now it's coming back.

NOTHING is sacred.

nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000) nano.ix is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Well for acoustic you'll want thin picks. You definitely don't want to be using a Jazz III or something while playing acoustic guitar. Honestly the pick brand won't make any difference whatsoever to you if you're just strumming chords, so just buy a pack of these
    Acoustic guitar equates to only strumming chords now? Interesting. Don't know when it was finalized that you couldn't use a thick pick on an acoustic

...btw, I use a 3mm.
    -adjective

-nano's guitar

Acoustic guitar equates to only strumming chords now? Interesting. Don't know when it was finalized that you couldn't use a thick pick on an acoustic

...btw, I use a 3mm.
    How long has the dude been playing again? Hmmmmmmm

I don't play my accoustic much, if I am 'only strumming, I may use a thinner pick, but most of the time it's a 2-3mm gator grip too.
    But I also do solo work and pinch licks on the accoustic, which are much harder to do on thick strings with thin picks
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

How long has the dude been playing again? Hmmmmmmm
    Time is irrelevant. It's what ever one prefers.
    -adjective

-nano's guitar

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    I don't play my accoustic much, if I am 'only strumming, I may use a thinner pick, but most of the time it's a 2-3mm gator grip too.
    But I also do solo work and pinch licks on the accoustic, which are much harder to do on thick strings with thin picks
    Time is irrelevant. It's what ever one prefers.
    tru dat. I just made an educated guess about what he would be doing based on his post. Chances are he's not gonna be pulling out any crazy leads. Thinner picks are simply easier for strumming. I finger pick a good deal of the time when I play acoustic, and I never use my jazz IIIs (wears down the edges too fast)

tru dat. I just made an educated guess about what he would be doing based on his post. Chances are he's not gonna be pulling out any crazy leads. Thinner picks are simply easier for strumming. I finger pick a good deal of the time when I play acoustic, and I never use my jazz IIIs (wears down the edges too fast)
    I find all nylon picks in general wear to fast. I've found a medium at tortex, going to shape my own ultem picks shortly to get the right size I want. Soon though, I'll be buying a pack of wegans - heard good things, so I need to try them out.
    -adjective

-nano's guitar

MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm in no place to buy a new guitar financially but the Ibanez RG350MYE has been taunting me for months... Strong do want

AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ignore the ***gy clothes of jimmy wahlsteen lol hes straight ._.

amazing players...amazing song.

IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250) IKI has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    dont know if this is a repost or not. but it sure brings some lulz.

****Puffy Nip Crew****

~"Lift all day, misc all night"~ J. R. Rogan

~"Get ripped or die mirin"~ A. A. Schwarzenegger

Closed Thread
Page 107 of 336 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 105 106 107 108 109 117 157 207 ... LastLast