Page 106 of 121 FirstFirst ... 6 56 96 104 105 106 107 108 116 ... LastLast
Results 3,151 to 3,180 of 3602
    rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Dominik View Post
    If I don't, who will? Joe needs a bodyguard.

Follow up to your Baldriani question. Yes I was around when Surfing with the Alien came out but the Reaper and Father Time haven't won yet. Training harder than I did in my 20s.

Spoiler!
    Hmmm now the question is: would the Schmoe trade in all his successes that he’s enjoyed in life to have that hairline?

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by rollerball View Post
    Hmmm now the question is: would the Schmoe trade in all his successes that he’s enjoyed in life to have that hairline?
    I remember an interview where he said the hair started going in his 30s right when his career was taking off in the late 80s. Today no one cares but that was a big deal back then.

I prefer his early work. The Extremist is probably his best album in terms of production. Who knows, one day you might find some value in what he did.

Today I can't separate Vai and Satriani, I appreciate more than technique, but Satriani is more accessible to people who don't play guitar. I could probably make a playlist of 20 songs that most people would go "I like this" whereas I'm not so sure with Steve.

rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rollerball has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I remember an interview where he said the hair started going in his mid 30s right when his career was taking off in the late 80s. Today no one cares but that was a big deal back then.

I prefer his early work. The Extremist is probably his best album in terms of production. Who knows, one day you might find some value in what he did.
    I hate to admit it, but every once in a while I’ll throw on the Crystal Planet on youtube. Lol.

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    I hate to admit it, but every once in a while I’ll throw on the Crystal Planet on youtube. Lol.
    That's progress. My two favorite Satriani songs are in Lydian.

No surprise I guess since I relate everything to Lydian, even a lot of jazz where it's Lydian augmented, Lydian #2, Lydian diminished, etc. So I guess you'd say Satriani and Vai had a big effect on me since I chose to nuthug Lydian instead of major. Of course I'm not always playing in Lydian but my mind is always thinking in Lydian in the same way everyone else is thinking major and minor.

That's progress. My two favorite Satriani songs are in Lydian.

No surprise I guess since I relate everything to Lydian, even a lot of jazz where it's Lydian augmented, Lydian #2, Lydian diminished, etc. So I guess you'd say Satriani and Vai had a big effect on me since I chose to nuthug Lydian instead of major. Of course I'm not always playing in Lydian but my mind is always thinking in Lydian in the same way everyone else is thinking major and minor.
    Inside rollerball’s mind:

“Chit he’s talking about theory again. DaFUK is lydian?”

What rollerball posts:

“Yeah, totally, lydian. Lydian is totally like pretty cool.”

Inside rollerball’s mind:

“Chit he’s talking about theory again. DaFUK is lydian?”

What rollerball posts:

“Yeah, totally, lydian. Lydian is totally like pretty cool.”
    It'll eventually click. Some people have got a great ear and don't need theory. Everything SwimToTheFractal shared is a good example of that. Doesn't need it to write and play interesting music. I just can't see any downsides to learning it.

Did these guys know they were playing in Lydian? I doubt it. But I'll bet good money one of those guitarists heard Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream a year earlier.

It'll eventually click. Some people have got a great ear and don't need theory. Everything SwimToTheFractal shared is a good example of that. Doesn't need it to write and play interesting music. I just can't see any downsides to learning it.

Did these guys know they were playing in Lydian? I doubt it. But I'll bet good money one of those guitarists heard Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream a year earlier.

[youtube]4WOk7UNAvOw[youtube]
    Now I can also blame the Schmoe for Pearl Jam!

Now I can also blame the Schmoe for Pearl Jam!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
    L m a o

0:16

0:16

“I know how hard he (kirk greeneggsandhammet) worked.”

The Schmoe being generous and kind to the worst vibrato in the history of all guitar playing, that will likely never be matched in out lifetimes in just how bad it really is.

“I know how hard he (kirk greeneggsandhammet) worked.”

The Schmoe being generous and kind to the worst vibrato in the history of all guitar playing, that will likely never be matched in out lifetimes in just how bad it really is.
    It's a strange one. Joe's bending and vibrato is top tier and apparently Hammett was taking two lessons a week. When I hear nervous, shaky vibrato, regardless of chops, I mentally check out.

It's a strange one. Joe's bending and vibrato is top tier and apparently Hammett was taking two lessons a week. When I hear nervous, shaky vibrato, regardless of chops, I mentally check out.
    He’s probably getting passed a bit of that St. Anger money to keep praising Hammett’s “skills”.

He’s probably getting passed a bit of that St. Anger money to keep praising Hammett’s “skills”.
    No one's allowed to give an opinion or an angry mob behind a keyboard will come for you. If you've got a career and are on social media either say nothing or blow smoke up someone's arse. Satriale knows on which side his bread's buttered. You see the same thing when drummers are asked about Lars.

No one's allowed to give an opinion or an angry mob behind a keyboard will come for you. If you've got a career and are on social media either say nothing or blow smoke up someone's arse. Satriale knows on which side his bread's buttered. You see the same thing when drummers are asked about Lars.
    In prison, Schmoe had a wonderful system of slicing the garlic with a razor blade so thin that it liquified in the pan with just a little oil.

It was a really good system.

This is cool but I am SO not savvy when it comes to putting things like this together.

This is cool but I am SO not savvy when it comes to putting things like this together.
    No soldering. Everything is provided.

No soldering. Everything is provided.
    I almost guarantee I can still fukk it up somehow.

I’m that guy who always has a random piece leftover when putting Ikea furniture together.

Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I almost guarantee I can still fukk it up somehow.

I’m that guy who always has a random piece leftover when putting Ikea furniture together.
    Just pay someone from craigslist how I got a good amount of work done on my electric guitar I got rid of lol
    Energetically will I meet enemies of the United States
    Get some
    Ernest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for" I agree with the 2nd part
    "Service members is family"
    physique: https://i.imgur.com/8d1Mct4.jpg -3
    avi is godfrd

Originally Posted by Sil3nt1 View Post
    Just pay someone from craigslist how I got a good amount of work done on my electric guitar I got rid of lol
    Yeah I'm going to be paying someone like $140 later this month to work on my Suhr.

Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Sil3nt1 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Energetically will I meet enemies of the United States
    Get some
    Ernest Hemingway once said "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for" I agree with the 2nd part
    "Service members is family"
    physique: https://i.imgur.com/8d1Mct4.jpg -3
    avi is godfrd

The All-American American Woody-5's Avatar
    Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Working on a jazzy arrangement of a Christmas tune, hoping to play it at an open mic next month. Some of those jazz chords are a kunt, the B7 in the main melody line still trips me up with three fingers stacked up. Getting there though… last year I tried this arrangement and couldn’t get past the first few bars

PRs: Back Squat- 410x1 / Front Squat- 320x1/ Bench- 325x1 / Deadlift- 505x1

Woody's Quest for the Seven (journal):
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=177649631

Originally Posted by Woody-5 View Post
    Working on a jazzy arrangement of a Christmas tune, hoping to play it at an open mic next month. Some of those jazz chords are a kunt, the B7 in the main melody line still trips me up with three fingers stacked up. Getting there though… last year I tried this arrangement and couldn’t get past the first few bars

[youtube]_8_ufxyYJtU[youtube]
    Sounds great so far.

Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Woody-5 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Sounds great so far.
    Thanks! Finally got to the point that I can play it through without pausing, just need to polish
    More

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Working on a jazzy arrangement of a Christmas tune, hoping to play it at an open mic next month. Some of those jazz chords are a kunt, the B7 in the main melody line still trips me up with three fingers stacked up.
    Howdy Woody....

Well done.
    Agreed, some of those jazz chords can be a real stretch.
    Especially, the extended chords which my arthritic phalanges don't look forward to.
    Lucky for me, my straight ahead rock song originals don't require them.
    I still have my Mickey Baker book from '76.

Glad to see someone posting up their compositions and/or song.

Keep up the good work. (on spread)
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

Originally Posted by Wayne Evans View Post
    Howdy Woody....

Well done.
    Especially, the extended chords which my arthritic phalanges don't look forward to.

Thanks mang! Really want to play at the open mic soon, even if I completely tank haha

Them jazz chords tho…

Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Wayne Evans has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Thanks mang! Them jazz chords tho]
    Ha....I hear you.

Here's a link of my collaborator-in-chief doing a Ted Greene tutorial if remotely interested, the first video:
    https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ry=ken+lasaine

I think it shows your B7 voicing about half way through.
    He's done all the lead axe work on my most current material.
    We've worked together (5) years now and have 17 songs collaborations.
    He's a damn fine musician and I'm very fortunate to have him contribute to my drivel.

Good luck on the open mic event.

Carry on.
    Last edited by Wayne Evans; 11-19-2023 at 10:54 AM.
    USMC: 1965-1969
    Original music:
    https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandID=897733
    https://soundcloud.com/chulaivet1966
    Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/chulaivet/videos

Just an old guy trying to keep up his rhythm chops.
    "One persons perception of good music can be another persons definition of noise"

Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000) Bodhy is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Wayne Evans View Post
    Howdy Woody....

Well done.

I remember my favourite jazz chord. It's from Kenny Burrell's take on I'm Just a Lucky So and So, and it features an Ebm/maj9 with a very unorthodox voicing; to finger it properly you need to wrap your thumb over the top of the neck Hendrix-style.

But, the chord sounds amazing. It's the most "that sounds jazz" I've ever heard. FYI, if you ever want an easy way to generate a lot of chords that sound archetypally jazzy, loungey, fusioney etc. you can harmonize the diminished scale and its variants. I did that once and produced whole bunch of jazzy/loungey sounding chords.
    Back off, Warchild.

Seriously.

z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) z4v4 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I know you guys like to dump on him but to have a career doing what you enjoy for nearly 40 years is very impressive not to mention those albums from 1986-1993 + 1998. Not of this Earth, Surfing with the Alien, Flying in a Blue Dream, The Extremist, Time Machine, and Crystal Planet.

Just my 2 cents which no one asked for but I reckon if more guitarists listened to Joe and focused on the fundamentals of bending, vibrato, phrasing, and composition, they'd be better for it.

I get it, his 3nps legato was a poor imitation of Holdsworth and his alternate picking is garbage next to Paul Gilbert, but there's so much he did well. He was also a great guitar teacher and from everything I've seen a nice guy too. You focus on his technical shortcomings and the bald dome with sunglasses. I'm old enough to remember when Satriani had hair.
    First, when I said Nuno/Joe hair, I was talking about the era where he had that dead Barbet on top of his dome in the 80's. Second, I wasn't dumping on him, but I can see how it came off that way with calling him Schmoe and "pitting" him against specialists at their specialties.

I agree with the sentiments about his intonation, vibrato, bending, and cheese phrasing being things rocks players should learn to do before trying to play 16th's at 200. And cheese phrasing isn't a diss - when Brett Garsed played in Nelson, it was all cheese phrasing but it was fitting.

For me, though, Flying is an overrated record. I'll take Forgotten Pt1, Day at the Beach, and maybe 1 or 2 others and that's about it. Much prefer Not of this Earth. Surfing is video gamish now, but the content in the context of rock guitar at the time was pretty legendary at the time it dropped. Extremist is probably his best record for me, but I haven't listened much past that record.

Originally Posted by Bodhy View Post
    FYI, if you ever want an easy way to generate a lot of chords that sound archetypally jazzy, loungey, fusioney etc. you can harmonize the diminished scale and its variants. I did that once and produced whole bunch of jazzy/loungey sounding chords.
    A whole bunch, eh? List all of them.