Page 105 of 162 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 4838
    TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) TonyNail is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Ted Nugent View Post
    im hoping you guys can offer some insight

i've been self studying compTIA A+/Network+ and actually really enjoy it so far, i don't work in IT and don't have any real experience, but i was curious about the material and started learning/studying and it's fascinating to me

anyways, got all excited thinking "damn i found something i actually might enjoy doing for a job" and started looking at IT related job listings and had a strong WTF moment. Average salary for an IT job (sys admin, db admin, etc) with at least 5-7 years experience went no higher than $70k...obviously its not all about the money, but i've always heard the IT field was really lucrative. The area isnt a super lucrative area like LA, NYC, etc, just an average sized city.

i'm still going to continue studying all the material and learning for my own interests, but the idea of maybe doing this for a career doesn't seem so appealing...is this the reality of IT jobs these days? fuking 5 years experience and knowing everything under the sun for a $50k salary? u wot m8
    This has been the reality since Y2K. IT is a vast field, but the "tech support" and infrastructure type jobs don't pay the high salaries that they used to. I come across IT jobs that want 3+ years experience and pay less than 35k. Data and Software is where the money is, also management positions (CIO, CSO, CTO etc)
    Last edited by TonyNail; 09-14-2017 at 10:31 AM.

jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by SippinCrown View Post
    You are correct, I've only taken one course related to data communications, (intro to data comm) - I learned, the OSI model, TCP/IP model, network topolgies, different types of transmission media, packet building, sub-netting, different types of physical media. We focused a lot on Application, Transport and Network layers, understanding protocols of those layers. Although we did the same for data link, just not as much. (The course I'm taking this semester "Designing Routers and Switches" will probably cover more on that).

You are also correct that this will be (hopefully) my first opportunity to get my feet wet in the field. I'm extremely nervous of not getting any responses. I'm currently trying to stand out from my students which is why on my cover letter I will mention I'm in the process of also studying for my Network+. I've also picked up Git and set up a GitHub account (this is something that my program hasn't covered).

Here is my new resume, if you are still willing to give me some constructive criticism I will greatly appreciate it.

Some Changes
    - Added an ongoing project that I recently started
    - Removed non-relevant work experience(All of it is still on my LinkedIn however)
    - Left my recent work employment to atleast give some job experience.

(the host very slightly blurred the font, its much easier to read in my .pdf and printed).

- This applies to anyone, any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    That looks a lot better to me bruh. Also, if you're studying for any certs, I'd put them in there as well.
    *Rest In Peace Dad. I miss you every second of every day 03/13/2013*

*Official Dodge Truck Crew CEO*
    *Official IT Thread CEO*

jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) jerzyfit is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TonyNail View Post
    This has been the reality since Y2K. IT is a vast field, but the "tech support" and infrastructure type jobs don't pay the high salaries that they used to. I come across IT jobs that want 3+ years experience and pay less than 35k. Data and Software is where the money is, also management positions (CIO, CSO, CTO etc)
    This all depends on where though. I know plenty of folks making 6 figures in Sysadmin roles.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000) enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000) enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000) enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000) enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000) enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000) enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000) enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000) enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000) enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000) enfieldvball is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by jerzyfit View Post
    This all depends on where though. I know plenty of folks making 6 figures in Sysadmin roles.
    Yeah, I definitely still see 6 figures around where I am but that's for Senior Network Engineers/Architects/Dev-Ops/Admins etc. This is the New England East Coast area so ymmv, probably much higher if you go somewhere like NYC or something like that.

Most mid-level people top off around 70-80k. Heck, even Tier 3 Helpdesk people can make up to 60-70k but you'll have to be supporting a specific application instead of doing general support.

Originally Posted by enfieldvball View Post
    Yeah, I definitely still see 6 figures around where I am but that's for Senior Network Engineers/Architects/Dev-Ops/Admins etc. This is the New England East Coast area so ymmv, probably much higher if you go somewhere like NYC or something like that.

Most mid-level people top off around 70-80k. Heck, even Tier 3 Helpdesk people can make up to 60-70k but you'll have to be supporting a specific application instead of doing general support.
    Yeah, I guess it depends on where. In the NYC area that I'm in, you don't see Dev Ops Engineers making less than 130K.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Applied to WGUs IT program boyos. Also doing Udemys Web Dev bootcamp. Going this route to simply have a bachelors, and learn languages via online programs.
    ★cVc★ OEFx2
    *Circumcised but Anti-Circumcision Crew*
    ★Subaru WRX/STi Crew★ (2006 WRX, Stage 2, CAI)
    "Started from Wall Rose now the whole Recon Corp's fuarkin here"

wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by -=Zeus=-! View Post
    Sup men, just a lil update. Took and passed the ICND1 (CCENT) pretty easily a few weeks ago. I didnt really like the setup with not being able to mark/go back to questions and was nervous that I was going to run out of time if they put a simulation question at the end so I kinda rushed the last 10 questions and ended up finishing with 20 mins to go lol

Updated my resume and sent out a half dozen in the Boulder/Denver area, no hits back yet but I should probably make a cover letter....

Currently running through the CCNA material, doesn't seem too bad yet. I like having fewer concepts if they are more technical vs a bunch of general ones.

CCENT materials: Lammle/Odom book, Udemy Chris Bryant, CBTNuggets, Pearson/Boson sim exams.
    CCNA: same **** minus probably boson, didn't really feel it was worth the 75$
    The biggest challenge with CCNA is having to basically rush through the exam.

Interested in Colorado Springs? Schriever AFB usually has a few IT positions available. Companies are Northrop Grumman, Boecore, Davidson, etc.

Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Criollo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by -=Zeus=-! View Post
    Sup men, just a lil update. Took and passed the ICND1 (CCENT) pretty easily a few weeks ago. I didnt really like the setup with not being able to mark/go back to questions and was nervous that I was going to run out of time if they put a simulation question at the end so I kinda rushed the last 10 questions and ended up finishing with 20 mins to go lol

Updated my resume and sent out a half dozen in the Boulder/Denver area, no hits back yet but I should probably make a cover letter....

Currently running through the CCNA material, doesn't seem too bad yet. I like having fewer concepts if they are more technical vs a bunch of general ones.

CCENT materials: Lammle/Odom book, Udemy Chris Bryant, CBTNuggets, Pearson/Boson sim exams.
    CCNA: same **** minus probably boson, didn't really feel it was worth the 75$
    congrats. I passed my ICND1 about 6 months ago CCNA is different tho failed with a 766/810 when I took mine it had chit on it that I never came across in my studies so be careful and study up boyo
    "I dont mean bitch in a disrespectful way, I mean bitch as a general term for women" Kratos, son of Zues
    PC+Xbox1+PS4+WiiU true master race. Can't we all get along?
    ***Tom Clancy's: The Division "Kill all betas"/Survival of the Fittest*** Crew
    I will take your stuff in darkzone even if you are my friend, deal with it.

Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000) Tobiasm3 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Took ICND1 today and breezed through it but ended up with a 824/832 so close lol. Wasn't that hard of a test just had some really random questions that I wasn't expecting the stuff I thought I would have issues with didn't even show up on test. Definitely do not care for the you can't review your answers thing, that was the first cert test that I have had like that. Back to studying and do it again in couple weeks. If your in a netacad class do not solely depend on that to pass as that's what I used and watched a few cbt nuggets, gonna actually have to read through those huge ass books now.

Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Ted Nugent has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by jerzyfit View Post
    Yeah, I guess it depends on where. In the NYC area that I'm in, you don't see Dev Ops Engineers making less than 130K.
    130k in NYC is like 50k anywhere else
    Trump 2016
    ~In Love With Taylor Swift Crew~
    Type O Negative is greatest band in universe crew

dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Too many people fall for this. I had a buddy say he was going to move to DC just to make low 6 figures doing IT work. But I told him the money he's making is probably worth alot more than it is in DC and you don't have to deal with traffic, crime, etc. I'd much rather make the 60k where I'm at than 100k+ in DC or wherever.

Check out http://swz.salary.com/CostOfLivingWi...oll_Start.aspx

It's a salary wizard. I did my comparison, I'd have to make 135k to maintain my current living in NYC, I don't think they are counting the extra headaches like traffic (which is a huge thing IMO). That's like 135% increase in salary just to maintain. Then it goes on to say that employers in NYC typically pay 30% more than where I live, which brings me to $75k. So I feasibly couldn't even live in NYC with the same job I have now, assuming I got the 30% boost to my salary for an equivalent job.

I'd rather just get a remote gig or work in one of those big up and coming technology areas like Raleigh, NC which has a relatively low cost of living but a booming tech economy.

StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) StuartT44 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Accepted my first IT job today Will be an Operations Analyst for the world leader in their main focus in the finance industry. Start October 9th with 6 weeks full time training then a rota of 12 hour shifts

Don't have certs and currently enrolled in final year of a Networking degree, musta got lucky :P Just waiting for their starter pack to come in with my contract and hopefully more in depth info on the job/training.

wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) wings_unhinged has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    NYC would suck. A taxi from JFK to Mahattan is $60-70 ffs

Strength Sports for Life C Project's Avatar
    C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) C Project has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by otakutrevan View Post
    Applied to WGUs IT program boyos. Also doing Udemys Web Dev bootcamp. Going this route to simply have a bachelors, and learn languages via online programs.
    Nice, which program?

The Web Dev bootcamp was really dull until the Node/NPM/Express section. That dude was awkward at first, but he really killed it on the backend technologies. Gave him five stars after that.

Got super triggered when he kept talking **** about cats.
    Moved Squat, Bench, and Deadlift to Yoke, Log, and Stones.

bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bullybreed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Does anyone have any experience with WGU in terms of completing a bachelor degree?
    How was your experience? How did you find the self paced studying?
    Were you able to get in touch with professors etc. when you needed assistance? How is their online portal? Easy to navigate etc?
    Bears/Bulls/Blackhawks
    Fantasy Football Nerd

mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) mikeoc322 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Hey boyos. Thoughts on UPENN's MCIT program for someone who wants to be a go-between for business and development? (Business Analyst/Product Management/Etc.) It's a poor man's IT/CS. I respect that argument. But I'm not trying to target the same roles as Anupam and Zhang.

dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) dcbone30 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mikeoc322 View Post
    Hey boyos. Thoughts on UPENN's MCIT program for someone who wants to be a go-between for business and development? (Business Analyst/Product Management/Etc.) It's a poor man's IT/CS. I respect that argument. But I'm not trying to target the same roles as Anupam and Zhang.
    If you want to go between business and development, become a developer then go into some sort of SLM/PM role.

SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by bullybreed View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with WGU in terms of completing a bachelor degree?
    Were you able to get in touch with professors etc. when you needed assistance? How is their online portal? Easy to navigate etc?
    I'm going through it now. Self paced study is fine with me, it's impressive how some guys here can crush a course in 2 weeks or less. I average about a month and some change before I'm ready to take a course assessment and pass. They don't have professors per se, but have course mentors who are readily available and can provide detailed insight on how to study for an exam. Their portal is easy af to navigate. You should take an hour and just glance through the site to become familiar with everything.

devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz devilbones has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by bullybreed View Post
    I did transferred in from UMASS Lowell/BU and did 4 semesters at WGU in 2. I enjoy the self paced studying. With the other programs you have to rely on your team putting in as much effort as you. I also work a full time job and was coaching lacrosse so it was hard to manage time at UMASS. I could wake up early and knock out some work with WGU and chip away at the courses. The course mentors can be very helpful or not helpful at all based on my experience. YMMV. I am working through my MSCIA right now and its been great. Everything online is really easy to navigate as well.
    USMC/USN Crew
    MWC

Yeah, but when you live literally right over the river and it takes you 30 mins to get into work, it's not bad. Plus the cost of living is a lot cheaper on the other side of the river.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

Any of you bro's work closely with SCCM? I wrote a PowerShell script to remove the default dell apps. It works as I ran it and confirmed, but I can't for the life of me get the script to run and remove the apps with the task sequence. I've tried creating a package pointing to the script, creating an empty package and point it to the script at the task sequence, and running the program as powershell.exe -verb runas. No matter what I try, this script won't kick off.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Have any of you guys at WGU enrolled in or completed the IT - Data Management/Data Analytics program? I'm looking ahead 2-3 years at the possibility of my employer being bought out and having to look for a new job. I'm not looking to relocate and IT jobs are scarce in my smaller town. There have been a lot of analyst jobs popping up on Indeed over the past year though. The degree looks to be more focused around database management but looks like I could stick with an IT degree while getting a handful of classes in that might prepare me for having to take a job outside of IT in a few years.
    MFC

Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Afiss is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Got into IT in 2015. In 2016 I was a desktop support tech making 40k/yr, studied for my ccna and passed it in August 2016. I was browsing for NOC jobs but couldn't find any in the area. Expanded my search and found one that was a 90 minute drive one way. Interviewed for it and got accepted. Oh yeah it also paid $1.20 less an hr, but I figured it was my chance to specialize in networking, so I've been doing the commute since the start of 2017. While learning a lot of new responsibilities at my new job, I was studying for my CCNP on down time. After 10 months of studying and a failed attempt I passed all 3 exams, completing the certification. I sent out 1 application after getting it and had an interview. They offered me 67k for a network support engineer position. Would I be crazy to decline? I might plan to stay at my current position to hit the 1.5 year mark, just for resume purposes. I've also already been studying for my sec+ for a month and will take the exam next week. After that I want to get a better grasp on linux. Do you think the ROI of about 8 more months experience, comptia sec+ and linux knowledge would outweigh the current offer for 67k or nah? I live about 30 minutes north of philly for reference of COL. Will rep for advice.
    Last edited by Afiss; 10-18-2017 at 08:42 AM.

fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) fmylife4real has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Afiss View Post
    Got into IT in 2015. In 2016 I was a desktop support tech making 40k/yr, studied for my ccna and passed it in August 2016. I was browsing for NOC jobs but couldn't find any in the area. Expanded my search and found one that was a 90 minute drive one way. Interviewed for it and got accepted. Oh yeah it also paid $1.20 less an hr, but I figured it was my chance to specialize in networking, so I've been doing the commute since the start of 2017. While learning a lot of new responsibilities at my new job, I was studying for my CCNP on down time. After 10 months of studying and a failed attempt I passed all 3 exams, completing the certification. I sent out 1 application after getting it and had an interview. They offered me 67k for a network support engineer position. Would I be crazy to decline? I might plan to stay at my current position to hit the 1.5 year mark, just for resume purposes. I've also already been studying for my sec+ for a month and will take the exam next week. After that I want to get a better grasp on linux. Do you think the ROI of about 8 more months experience, comptia sec+ and linux knowledge would outweigh the current offer for 67k or nah? I live about 30 minutes north of philly for reference of COL. Will rep for advice.
    I think the extra 8 months will help bring more money especially if you gain more certs.
    It's okay to be white
    MFC #33
    *reminder to neg mysterylifter on sight because he thinks it's NOT okay to be white*

otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) otakutrevan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Anyone know anything about CIW certs? How does the industry view them?

CIW Site Development Associate
    CIW Advanced HTML5 and CSS3
    CIW User Interface Designer

^^^ All included in the degree program I'm starting soon. End goal is to be a Full Stack Dev
    ★cVc★ OEFx2

SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SynapticCleft has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Anyone know anything about CIW certs? How does the industry view them?

CIW Site Development Associate
    CIW Advanced HTML5 and CSS3
    CIW User Interface Designer

^^^ All included in the degree program I'm starting soon. End goal is to be a Full Stack Dev
    Those certs are not taken seriously. However the knowledge you would gain from studying those topics is beneficial for your career.

Originally Posted by SynapticCleft View Post
    Those certs are not taken seriously. However the knowledge you would gain from studying those topics is beneficial for your career.
    Why not? I mean if the knowledge gained from them assists in being a better Web Designer why wouldn't they?
    ★cVc★ OEFx2

Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Adarus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Why not? I mean if the knowledge gained from them assists in being a better Web Designer why wouldn't they?
    From what I remember reading on them the CIW certs are easily obtained and the material doesn't get to in depth into the topic the test is over.
    MFC

Originally Posted by Adarus View Post
    From what I remember reading on them the CIW certs are easily obtained and the material doesn't get to in depth into the topic the test is over.
    Pretty much this. The material for the actual cert isn't particularly difficult, however that doesn't mean you can't take advantage of the knowledge gained. The last CiW cert I took was pretty much a multi choice dictionary exam. Very low level and didn't challenge practical ability like some other exams I've taken (comptia, MS)

Originally Posted by Afiss View Post
    Why can't you take the new job and still study for the certs and learn Linux? If you're saving time on commute, that's your time you can be studying.

*Official IT Thread CEO*

Page 105 of 162 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 155 ... LastLast