Closed Thread
Page 104 of 336 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 102 103 104 105 106 114 154 204 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 10051
    piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by vin_nz View Post
    There's nothing wrong with teaching songs bro, it's just important that the songs require particular techniques or skills/chords that you are trying to teach your student.. putting techniques in context and learning WHOLE songs is pretty beneficial for a few reasons.

Most importantly I think it introduces the idea of getting the right tone/feel for a song instead of just being able to PLAY it.
    I agree, although it's not exactly what I had in mind. Teachers usually like to teach fairly simple songs unless you ask them to do something else. My teacher was showing me how to play Master of Puppets, and halfway through I said I want to learn something else, because although reasonably fast, the song is not technically demanding or anything. So he taught me Eugene's Trick Bag, which I made a crappy video of few posts later. Similar thing happened with Children of Bodom's Are you dead yet; I don't even listen to the band, and yet for some reason we took two lessons to teach me the song. Two lessons which could've been used on learning theory or technique.

tl;dr
    Learning songs definitely helps, but only in the first few months of playing I think, when you're still trying to get used to the instrument.

Speaking of learning songs, I have a terrible memory. Takes me absolute ages to remember any riffs or simple melodies. For that reason when it comes to solos, I just like to improvise rather than learn it note for note. Anyone else do it as well? Haven't seen many videos on youtube of people improvising solos to songs.
    Workout journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=116712111

NOTHING is sacred.

"BUT... it's way too easy to get caught up in all this ****ing minutia- like the kids on the Teen forums who won't eat regular peanut butter because it has 4g of sugar or whatever, ATG nazis, obsessing about every part of training, etc. Simplicity works." -101CavGrunt

piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000) piszczel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Btw I don't know if this has been posted or not but check out this guys channel - he gives pretty good lessons.

http://www.youtube.com/user/tziras

NOTHING is sacred.

"BUT... it's way too easy to get caught up in all this ****ing minutia- like the kids on the Teen forums who won't eat regular peanut butter because it has 4g of sugar or whatever, ATG nazis, obsessing about every part of training, etc. Simplicity works." -101CavGrunt

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Don't get a teacher who is a young ugly college metalhead reject. Get an old guy who plays jazz to teach you the guitar

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    I don't agree with you a lot, but ^^^ is sooo true

BEST teacher I ever had was an older guy who had me working jazz runs when I was in HS. If I could have afforded to keep with it, I would have gotten a lot better fast.
    looking back at some of the (almost 30yr old) sheet music, it was pretty complex

I quit the young meathead (he was pretty good, but slow classical was not what a 17yr old wants to learn)
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Metallibanger has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by An hero View Post
    Don't get a teacher who is a young ugly college metalhead reject. Get an old guy who plays jazz to teach you the guitar
    x2. My teacher is a jazz player and he's awesome at all styles.

-themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) -themask- is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Any brahs here have the Boss RC-2 pedal?

This thing is so much fun.
    bulking to 150

Haha, watch this!

NOTHING is sacred.

OK I was thinking of new sweeps and I came up with some pretty cool ones that utilize some awkward fingerings so are perfect for practicing sweeping and accuracy:

E minor sweep:

E ----------------12h15p12-------------
    B -------------12----------12-----------
    G ----------12---------------12---------
    D -------14---------------------14------
    A -10h14--------------------------14p10
    E ---------------------------------------

Same sweep, but with the 7th added (much more tricky I think, but still doable)

E ----------------------12h15t17p15p12--------------------
    B ----------------10h12----------------12p10--------------
    G -------------12----------------------------12------------
    D ----------14---------------------------------14----------
    A -10h12h14--------------------------------------14p12p10-
    E -----------------------------------------------------------

Another Em sweep:

E -------------3p0h3-------------------
    B -----------5-------5-----------------
    G ---------4-----------4---------------
    D -------2---------------2-------------
    A -----2-------------------2-----------
    E -0h3----------------------3p0--------

I'll post more when I come up with some cool ones.

Btw, does anyone have similar "tongue twisters" but for normal picking?

NOTHING is sacred.

vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by piszczel View Post
    I agree, although it's not exactly what I had in mind. Teachers usually like to teach fairly simple songs unless you ask them to do something else. My teacher was showing me how to play Master of Puppets, and halfway through I said I want to learn something else, because although reasonably fast, the song is not technically demanding or anything. So he taught me Eugene's Trick Bag, which I made a crappy video of few posts later. Similar thing happened with Children of Bodom's Are you dead yet; I don't even listen to the band, and yet for some reason we took two lessons to teach me the song. Two lessons which could've been used on learning theory or technique.

tl;dr
    Learning songs definitely helps, but only in the first few months of playing I think, when you're still trying to get used to the instrument.

Speaking of learning songs, I have a terrible memory. Takes me absolute ages to remember any riffs or simple melodies. For that reason when it comes to solos, I just like to improvise rather than learn it note for note. Anyone else do it as well? Haven't seen many videos on youtube of people improvising solos to songs.
    ever think that the problem you note in your last paragraph is because you haven't spent time learning to remember whole tunes?

Learning songs is infinitely helpful no matter what point you're at, it just depends on which ones you're learning.. For instance, you could learn a whole bunch of beatles songs to get a good grasp of how to use chord progressions in pop/rock music..

I learned about 60% of a Freddie King album note for note (I very rarely do this), and it helped me expand the vocab of my blues playing as well as teaching me a lot more about how to get a traditional blues tone ala Freddie King's first few albums.

There's a time and a place for improvising and note for note, but let's not kid ourselves, a huge part of improvising ISNT actually improvising, it's using stock phrases and licks that you have worked out and or learned, or using your knowledge of theory/scales/chords to play something fitting. Sure, it's pretty much put together on the spot, but it's not entirely improvised in that some of it is already known before if you get what I mean..

there's tonnes of improv videos on youtube, mostly in the jazz/blues genre

ever think that the problem you note in your last paragraph is because you haven't spent time learning to remember whole tunes?

Learning songs is infinitely helpful no matter what point you're at, it just depends on which ones you're learning.. For instance, you could learn a whole bunch of beatles songs to get a good grasp of how to use chord progressions in pop/rock music..

I learned about 60% of a Freddie King album note for note (I very rarely do this), and it helped me expand the vocab of my blues playing as well as teaching me a lot more about how to get a traditional blues tone ala Freddie King's first few albums.

There's a time and a place for improvising and note for note, but let's not kid ourselves, a huge part of improvising ISNT actually improvising, it's using stock phrases and licks that you have worked out and or learned, or using your knowledge of theory/scales/chords to play something fitting. Sure, it's pretty much put together on the spot, but it's not entirely improvised in that some of it is already known before if you get what I mean..

there's tonnes of improv videos on youtube, mostly in the jazz/blues genre
    Cool, thanks. Good advice.

I meant videos of people playing specific songs that have solos in them (e.g. some AC/DC tune) but instead of playing the solo from the song you improvise it yourself. Haven't seen many videos like that.

NOTHING is sacred.

MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MyDenverMint has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    This is an excellent thread!
    I've been playing guitar for around 4 years and recently I've started to actually learn music theory. Before I mainly focused on learning songs. Now I'm more interested in how they were created and the theory behind them.

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Cool, thanks. Good advice.

I meant videos of people playing specific songs that have solos in them (e.g. some AC/DC tune) but instead of playing the solo from the song you improvise it yourself. Haven't seen many videos like that.
    I improvise pretty much all my solos. For me, improv is what music is about

Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

hotel california

mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Look what I bought this weekend. 2001 Martin 000-28EC. She'll be here tomorrow morning.

Sorry for all the pics but I know guitar players like looking at them, so here ya go.
    MULLY
    " If you want to experience a drastic change in an area of your life, then you have to commit to doing something drastic."

Originally Posted by mullyman View Post
    Look what I bought this weekend. 2001 Martin 000-28EC. She'll be here tomorrow morning.
    Nice!
    I googled it and looked at the price, holy moly

NOTHING is sacred.

mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000) mullyman is just really nice. (+1000)
    Nice!
    I googled it and looked at the price, holy moly
    Well, here in Japan they retail around 5200. I grabbed this one, used of course, for 2.
    MULLY
    " If you want to experience a drastic change in an area of your life, then you have to commit to doing something drastic."

AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

great player

Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr_JAZZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    seriously under-rated guitarist by the music community, Ritchie Sambora

AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AntoineDufour is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    more gareth pearson... he is very good..really...amazing player check out his other stuff too

Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey, I hope I'm posting the right place, but does anyone here have any good lessons for improving my lead playing, for example I learned Nightmare yesterday and it wasn't a problem till there came a few sweeps, and I got lost..Also if anyone know some good scale lessons and theory to 'em, cus I can easily make up a riff but if someone asks to make me a solo over an E I'm completely lost (I know the pentatonic scale tho..)

Any help appreciated

Originally Posted by Nick_15 View Post
    Hey, I hope I'm posting the right place, but does anyone here have any good lessons for improving my lead playing, for example I learned Nightmare yesterday and it wasn't a problem till there came a few sweeps, and I got lost..Also if anyone know some good scale lessons and theory to 'em, cus I can easily make up a riff but if someone asks to make me a solo over an E I'm completely lost (I know the pentatonic scale tho..)

Any help appreciated
    1. Someone tells you to solo over an E
    2. Play pentatonic scale in E
    3. ????
    4. Profit

and I don't know what the fukk "Nightmare" is but if you want to play sweeps then you have to do it REALLY SLOW a lot. And I mean really slow. Like 60 bpm. Don't be one of those *******s that immediately tries to do it at 300 bpm and can't mute for ****

Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Nick_15 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by An hero View Post
    1. Someone tells you to solo over an E
    2. Play pentatonic scale in E
    3. ????
    4. Profit

and I don't know what the fukk "Nightmare" is but if you want to play sweeps then you have to do it REALLY SLOW a lot. And I mean really slow. Like 60 bpm. Don't be one of those *******s that immediately tries to do it at 300 bpm and can't mute for ****
    Yea but I want to learn more than the pentatonic scale, sucks playing pentatonic all the time, but I also wannna learn the theory behind them, sucks

GOD DAMN I am impressed Gustavo Guerra improved immensely since I first started watching him. He was always good but now hes unbelievable.

The next vinnie moore easily... sounds so similar to him...

Originally Posted by Nick_15 View Post
    Yea but I want to learn more than the pentatonic scale, sucks playing pentatonic all the time, but I also wannna learn the theory behind them, sucks
    http://www.justinguitar.com/en/SC-001-TheMajorScale.php

learn each shape of that and you can play 7 different modes in 12 different keys

that should be enough for you

vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250) vin_nz has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    once you know the scales and how they work over chords you can start the endless process of actually using them to make interesting musical phrases..

once you know the scales and how they work over chords you can start the endless process of actually using them to make interesting musical phrases..
    That's what I'm trying to learn ^^
    "Don't be afraid to make small improvements, be afraid to stop improving"

MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000) MistuuhMitch is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just started playin acoustic guitar a couple months ago and was wondering if most people just find out their own finger picking pattern as they would strumming ? ive been trying to learn this new song Bruno mars- Just the way you are (no homo i just like it), i learned how to play it by strumming like this guy

but then i saw this video

I wanted to learn how to play like this instead (sounds alot better imo). Any tips ?

ddollar is just really nice. (+1000) ddollar is just really nice. (+1000) ddollar is just really nice. (+1000) ddollar is just really nice. (+1000) ddollar is just really nice. (+1000) ddollar is just really nice. (+1000) ddollar is just really nice. (+1000) ddollar is just really nice. (+1000) ddollar is just really nice. (+1000) ddollar is just really nice. (+1000) ddollar is just really nice. (+1000)
    I just started learning barre chords two weeks ago and I am having alot of trouble moving up and down the neck while holding the barre chords, any tips on keeping all the strings ringing out? I can never keep the B string pressed down all the way.

Originally Posted by ddollar View Post
    I just started learning barre chords two weeks ago and I am having alot of trouble moving up and down the neck while holding the barre chords, any tips on keeping all the strings ringing out? I can never keep the B string pressed down all the way.
    I don't really see why you would move while holding down the barre. If you're moving between chords all you have to do is lightly touch the strings to mute them

Closed Thread
Page 104 of 336 FirstFirst ... 4 54 94 102 103 104 105 106 114 154 204 ... LastLast