Closed Thread
Page 102 of 290 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,060 of 8698
    nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by DandyLion1 View Post
    Hey,

My right shoulder rolls forward more than the left from having carried a heavy bag on one side at school (if only I'd listened to my mother). It's always bugged me just from not being symmetrical but never had any pain from it. Have had a couple of twinges in the shoulder blade but dunno if that's related. My thoracic spine curves slightly towards it, too.

On my most recent heavy workout (only C1W3) I've started noticing that my shoulders are pushing slightly asymmetrically on my overhead press. Trying to correct while looking in the mirror but as I'm such a beginner I guess I might as well start looking after myself properly early on. Is there anything I should be doing differently or watching out for? Or will it just correct itself as my muscles gain strength?

Thanks
    The weaker side will grow faster, and the stronger side will grow slower or not at all, due to being dragged down by the slowness of the weaker side. Just keep the bar parrellel with the floor (one side not locking out before the other) and make sure you are not favoring the bar to one side. Its real easy to just move the bar over a half inch or so onto the stronger side.

2 other things you can do for up to the first 2 cycles. OHP in the smith machine so you guarantee you cant shift to one side. Or you can try the seated arnold press if you can keep the speed and barpath the same on both arms.

rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by rlefebvr View Post
    I did miss that. I think the novice setup is still perfect for now however. I can always change later.

Thanks

Ron
    I have decided to stay with the beginner program.

I do have a question, what is the point of a heavy medium and light session. I never bothered to find out. Why not 3 heavy loads where you just up the reps from week to week.

Not dissing the program, just trying to find out the logistics and philosophy.

Ron

Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sh724 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rlefebvr View Post
    I have decided to stay with the beginner program.

I do have a question, what is the point of a heavy medium and light session. I never bothered to find out. Why not 3 heavy loads where you just up the reps from week to week.

Not dissing the program, just trying to find out the logistics and philosophy.

Ron
    Gives extra rest. If you are truly pushing yourself on heavy day you will quickly burn out doing 3 heavies a week. Realistically it should take about 3 days to fully recover from a heavy day thats why medium is the hardest for some people, bc you arent fully recovered. Light day is more or less just for extra volume at a bit of a deload since there is not scheduled deloads in all pro.
    Blues Hockey is life! I live for pain and disappointment.
    Freemason crew

instagram.com/sph724

Registered User blackfieldgates's Avatar
    blackfieldgates has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Might be a dumb question but I was curious:

As it stands, with the exception of the floor press, my two warm up sets are not heavy enough to be able to use my barbel (which is about 6kg ). Normally I just use dumbbells to do the warm up sets but this week to make the warm ups more interesting I decided to do Kroc rows for my bent over row and a single set of good mornings at a lighter weight before doing an SLDL. So basically it looked like this for those two exercise

BOR:
    Kroc rows (25% of BOR weight)
    Kroc rows (50% of BOR weight)
    BOR - work set
    BOR - work set

And then even though the SLDL doesn't need warm up sets

SLDL
    Good morning (50% of SLDL)
    SLDL work set
    SLDL work set

BOR and SLDL are easily my weakest lifts and I often see Kroc rows and good mornings advised to beginners here, so I was curious to know if doing these moves as the warm up sets with warm up weights (25% and 50%) are acceptable or should all BOR sets be BOR and SLDL be left as it is. I felt anyway they improved my work sets but I was just wondering if this is potentially detrimental in some way.

nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) nightanole is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by blackfieldgates View Post
    Might be a dumb question but I was curious:

As it stands, with the exception of the floor press, my two warm up sets are not heavy enough to be able to use my barbel (which is about 6kg ). Normally I just use dumbbells to do the warm up sets but this week to make the warm ups more interesting I decided to do Kroc rows for my bent over row and a single set of good mornings at a lighter weight before doing an SLDL. So basically it looked like this for those two exercise

BOR:
    Kroc rows (25% of BOR weight)
    Kroc rows (50% of BOR weight)
    BOR - work set
    BOR - work set

And then even though the SLDL doesn't need warm up sets

SLDL
    Good morning (50% of SLDL)
    SLDL work set
    SLDL work set

BOR and SLDL are easily my weakest lifts and I often see Kroc rows and good mornings advised to beginners here, so I was curious to know if doing these moves as the warm up sets with warm up weights (25% and 50%) are acceptable or should all BOR sets be BOR and SLDL be left as it is. I felt anyway they improved my work sets but I was just wondering if this is potentially detrimental in some way.
    The warmup sets should mimic the work movements, at best you can use dumb bells to mimic a bar bell workset. I normally just recommend a rom warmup with a plastic pipe/broom handle for the first warmup, and the bare bar for the 2nd for those who do not have the right equipment to do a proper light warmup.

The good morning can be subbed for the SLDL if you also include some extra grip work. The kroc row and pendlay row are normally giving out as accessories, not direct replacements unless they are working around a medical problem.

DandyLion1 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nightanole View Post
    The weaker side will grow faster, and the stronger side will grow slower or not at all, due to being dragged down by the slowness of the weaker side. Just keep the bar parrellel with the floor (one side not locking out before the other) and make sure you are not favoring the bar to one side. Its real easy to just move the bar over a half inch or so onto the stronger side.

2 other things you can do for up to the first 2 cycles. OHP in the smith machine so you guarantee you cant shift to one side. Or you can try the seated arnold press if you can keep the speed and barpath the same on both arms.
    Cool, thanks

GymGiraffe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Just went to the gym last night to try take measurements of my 10 rep max using the calculator.

These are the results I got:

Squats (dumbbells): 53 lbs
    Bench press (dumbbells): 59 lbs
    Bent-over rows (barbell): 47 lbs
    Overhead barbell press (barbell): 34 lbs
    Stiff-legged deadlifts (barbell): 62 lbs
    Barbell curls (barbell): 27 lbs
    Calf raises (dumbbells): 33lbs

Are these appropriate starting values for me? I'm 23 yrs old, 136.6 pounds, 169cm

Also, I have some lower back pain from I think either the Stiff-legged deadlifts or the bent-over rows with poor form. I already have pretty poor posture.

Is there a machine or bench I can use to stabilise my mid-body while doing the rows?

Also I had a lot of trouble with the stiff-legged deadlifts, since the weights I'm using are so small, the bar is too close to the ground to pick up without bending my knees. Is there an alternative exercise or machine I can use?

Thanks a lot! I haven't been this excited to gym in a while.

Originally Posted by GymGiraffe View Post
    Just went to the gym last night to try take measurements of my 10 rep max using the calculator.

These are the results I got:

Squats (dumbbells): 53 lbs
    Bench press (dumbbells): 59 lbs
    Bent-over rows (barbell): 47 lbs
    Overhead barbell press (barbell): 34 lbs
    Stiff-legged deadlifts (barbell): 62 lbs
    Barbell curls (barbell): 27 lbs
    Calf raises (dumbbells): 33lbs

1 Are these appropriate starting values for me? I'm 23 yrs old, 136.6 pounds, 169cm

2 Also, I have some lower back pain from I think either the Stiff-legged deadlifts or the bent-over rows with poor form. I already have pretty poor posture.

3 Is there a machine or bench I can use to stabilise my mid-body while doing the rows?

4 Also I had a lot of trouble with the stiff-legged deadlifts, since the weights I'm using are so small, the bar is too close to the ground to pick up without bending my knees. Is there an alternative exercise or machine I can use?

Thanks a lot! I haven't been this excited to gym in a while.
    1) Everyone starts out with imbalances, some rock climbers were starting out with row number much higher than bench for example.

2) Ive explained this before but you can look over the last few pages. The long of the short of it is you never bend your back on allpro, if you are you are putting a massive load on your spinal errectors which tire quickly. They are meant for static holds, not dynamic movements.

3) The point of the row is to hit your back/core in a static hold for a long duration. If the point was just to hit your lats, biceps, and shoulders, there are better choices.

4) Ummm... The SLDL is just like a normal deadlift stance, you just dont touch the ground inbetween reps. You can start it off from a rack pull or a low set bench, or you can just deadlift it off the floor first before starting the exercise. Since you are using a much lighter weight than a normal deadlift, this shouldnt be a problem.

As for ending the program. The program lasts for about 5-7 cycles unless its for weight loss.

By the end you should weigh about 71kg/157lbs
    squat should be your highest number
    bench and row should be within 20% of each other
    OHP should be at least 60% of your OHP
    SLDL should be less that squat if you do the movement correctly.
    calf raises and curls could be anything, and could be replaced with other exercises depending on goals.

You should be able to bench 10 reps of your body weight, and squat 10 reps of 1.25-1.5x your body weight. This shouldnt be a problem if you are 13% bf (flexed abs but smooth when relaxed), if you just put on 20lbs of fat to get to 157lbs, you ant gonna make it.

Registered User blackfieldgates's Avatar
    blackfieldgates has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The warmup sets should mimic the work movements, at best you can use dumb bells to mimic a bar bell workset. I normally just recommend a rom warmup with a plastic pipe/broom handle for the first warmup, and the bare bar for the 2nd for those who do not have the right equipment to do a proper light warmup.

The good morning can be subbed for the SLDL if you also include some extra grip work. The kroc row and pendlay row are normally giving out as accessories, not direct replacements unless they are working around a medical problem.
    Ah I see, for some reason I just figured if movements that hit similar muscles were the same then they could be the warm up sets, especially as the SLDL doesn't require a mandatory warm up. I'm not looking to replace anything, I was just looking to make the warm ups more interesting, but if mimicking the work movements is their purpose then I won't do it again.

I was not aware that Krocs were accessory work- I thought they were just for people who were working getting the strength up until they could handle bent over rows. Would you suppose then adding them to an end of a work out might potentially help with my bent over rows? I can do them well enough, but on occasion with the heavy day I feel like my lower back is under more stress than it should be. Actually for that matter what would be some accessory work in general you'd suggest to someone who has only a barbell and adjustable dumbbells?

Time2Sleep00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    A little bit of help on SLDL and benchpress. I did reset my SLDL to lower weights just to feel the stretch on my hamstrings. I used to use heavier weights but only feel my lower back, using auto regulated just for this sldl. Problem now is, even when using smaller plates, I lower the bar so near to the ground just to feel the stretch.

Also on my bench, failed the last 2 heavy days, will be doing my test day on monday. I cant finish the last 2-3 reps on the 2nd set. But I can do my medium day(last cycles heavy) with 30 seconds of rest and doing the accesory 1 set of 65% of heavy 16 reps bench at the end o the workout. What can I do to help finish my test day next week. Dont want to repeat the weights next cycle

Originally Posted by Time2Sleep00 View Post
    A little bit of help on SLDL and benchpress. I did reset my SLDL to lower weights just to feel the stretch on my hamstrings. I used to use heavier weights but only feel my lower back, using auto regulated just for this sldl. Problem now is, even when using smaller plates, I lower the bar so near to the ground just to feel the stretch.

Also on my bench, failed the last 2 heavy days, will be doing my test day on monday. I cant finish the last 2-3 reps on the 2nd set. But I can do my medium day(last cycles heavy) with 30 seconds of rest and doing the accesory 1 set of 65% of heavy 16 reps bench at the end o the workout. What can I do to help finish my test day next week. Dont want to repeat the weights next cycle
    Not sure what your complaint is on the SLDL, it should be a deficit (have to stand on a platform so the weights dont touch the ground between reps) by the end of the program if you do it right.

Sounds like you have a bar speed problem on the bench. Its too slow to lock out a heavy weight. For an accessory i would recommend either a floor press or pushing off of safety pins at chest level, using 10% higher weight than heavy, with a 15-30 second pause between reps. The goal is to get you to push hard for lockout, and not go slow and controlled. You can do this for as many reps as you want, but odds are you will be dead by reps 5-7.

Originally Posted by blackfieldgates View Post
    Ah I see, for some reason I just figured if movements that hit similar muscles were the same then they could be the warm up sets, especially as the SLDL doesn't require a mandatory warm up. I'm not looking to replace anything, I was just looking to make the warm ups more interesting, but if mimicking the work movements is their purpose then I won't do it again.

I was not aware that Krocs were accessory work- I thought they were just for people who were working getting the strength up until they could handle bent over rows. Would you suppose then adding them to an end of a work out might potentially help with my bent over rows? I can do them well enough, but on occasion with the heavy day I feel like my lower back is under more stress than it should be. Actually for that matter what would be some accessory work in general you'd suggest to someone who has only a barbell and adjustable dumbbells?
    kroc rows are volume work for deadlifters. This is your first cycle, i am not going to throw volume at you. You have imbalances, you are using movements your body is still inefficient at. Let the program do its work, you could even reset lighter. Id rather you keep your bar speed up and be able to pull/push full force, vs dogging it to get all the reps in.

I hate to tell ya, but if you bump the weight for next cycle, its just going to have the same form and feel next cycle, you just be stronger using the lifting form you are using now. Use the first cycle or 2 to dial in the weights and your form, so you feel strong and confident for weight bumps, not weak and looking for bandaids.

Registered User vimalrajsharma8's Avatar
    vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Are warmup sets really necessary for barbell curl?

Originally Posted by vimalrajsharma8 View Post
    Are warmup sets really necessary for barbell curl?
    nope, you only need them for the bench/row/squat

Saad724 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Always wanted to get in shape, but my laziness seems to have always gotten the best of me in the past. Had I stuck to my workout plan and going to the gym when I first started 3 years ago, I could be in pretty good shape today.. But I guess it's never to late to start again. Just had a quick question regarding this though. I've read a few pages of replies from the different parts of this thread, all the way from the original one to this one. My question is that as someone who is 21, weighs about 122lb and I'm about 5'10" to 6'0" tall, would this be a good way to gain muscle and definition? I plan on starting this on Monday, but I fear that my nutrition and laziness as a result of that will be my downfall again, but I'll try to get it on par. I have the weights required to perform these exercises at home, so that's not really an issue. Just wanted to confirm if doing this would help me get bigger arms, legs, more defined pectorals, etc.

I checked out the before and after thread for this workout, but sadly, it only has about 3 pages of replies. Considering how many pages this thread and it's other parts actually has though, I'm sure it will work, but you know, it's just good to get an answer to your own question specifically. I'm a twig at the moment as you can probably imagine. Looking at my body in the mirror really makes me angry because I waste so much time on useless things when I could be spending it improving my lifestyle. Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by Saad724; 02-03-2017 at 01:39 PM.

Originally Posted by Saad724 View Post
    Always wanted to get in shape, but my laziness seems to have always gotten the best of me in the past. Had I stuck to my workout plan and going to the gym when I first started 3 years ago, I could be in pretty good shape today.. But I guess it's never to late to start again. Just had a quick question regarding this though. I've read a few pages of replies from the different parts of this thread, all the way from the original one to this one. My question is that as someone who is 21, weighs about 122lb and I'm about 5'10" to 6'0" tall, would this be a good way to gain muscle and definition? I plan on starting this on Monday, but I fear that my nutrition and laziness as a result of that will be my downfall again, but I'll try to get it on par. I have the weights required to perform these exercises at home, so that's not really an issue. Just wanted to confirm if doing this would help me get bigger arms, legs, more defined pectorals, etc.

I checked out the before and after thread for this workout, but sadly, it only has about 3 pages of replies. Considering how many pages this thread and it's other parts actually has though, I'm sure it will work, but you know, it's just good to get an answer to your own question specifically. I'm a twig at the moment as you can probably imagine. Looking at my body in the mirror really makes me angry because I waste so much time on useless things when I could be spending it improving my lifestyle. Hopefully this will be a step in the right direction.
    Under ideal conditions you would end up with a bmi of 24, @13% body fat, be able to bench press 10 reps of body weight, be able to squat 10 reps of 1.25-1.5x body weight, in about 5-7 cycles.

Else if you follow starting strength to the letter, you would end up at 180-190lbs @18% body fat and be able to dead lift 405lbs for a few reps, and bench over 2 plate for a few reps, in 6-9 months. However if you do not follow the complete program, including the nutrition section, ur gonna burn out in 90 days or less around the time you try to squat 2 plate.

Under ideal conditions you would end up with a bmi of 24, @13% body fat, be able to bench press 10 reps of body weight, be able to squat 10 reps of 1.25-1.5x body weight, in about 5-7 cycles.

Else if you follow starting strength to the letter, you would end up at 180-190lbs @18% body fat and be able to dead lift 405lbs for a few reps, and bench over 2 plate for a few reps, in 6-9 months. However if you do not follow the complete program, including the nutrition section, ur gonna burn out in 90 days or less around the time you try to squat 2 plate.
    Honestly, that sounds pretty good; if I am able to reach my goals by the end of this year, that would be life changing in a good way. Though, as the saying goes, I'll only get out what I put in. Thanks for the answer. The nutrition part will probably be the hardest though as the cost of food in London is not cheap, not even for a bag of rice. I guess I'll try to mix and match different ingredients and try to make it work. Just need to make sure that I don't give up this time around. Honestly though, I appreciate it.

Honestly, that sounds pretty good; if I am able to reach my goals by the end of this year, that would be life changing in a good way. Though, as the saying goes, I'll only get out what I put in. Thanks for the answer. The nutrition part will probably be the hardest though as the cost of food in London is not cheap, not even for a bag of rice. I guess I'll try to mix and match different ingredients and try to make it work. Just need to make sure that I don't give up this time around. Honestly though, I appreciate it.
    Gaining 30lbs takes 75,000-150,000 calories on average depending on the persons activity level. Muscle only has 130grams of protein in it per pound, and your body is VERY good at recycling broken down amino acids back into more muscle, its a myth that you are destroying or breaking down muscle when you work out. So you are looking at maybe 1500 pounds in food tops, that is based on double what an average american would pay on the coasts, mid america it might be 1/3-1/2 that since its farm country with 70 cents per dozen eggs, 2 bucks per pound chicken, 2 bucks per gallon of milk, etc.

Gaining 30lbs takes 75,000-150,000 calories on average depending on the persons activity level. Muscle only has 130grams of protein in it per pound, and your body is VERY good at recycling broken down amino acids back into more muscle, its a myth that you are destroying or breaking down muscle when you work out. So you are looking at maybe 1500 pounds in food tops, that is based on double what an average american would pay on the coasts, mid america it might be 1/3-1/2 that since its farm country with 70 cents per dozen eggs, 2 bucks per pound chicken, 2 bucks per gallon of milk, etc.
    When you say activity level, do you mean time spent on a daily or so basis where you train? Or does that include all of the walking and stuff that you do on a regular basis? Since I have to walk around and be on my feet for 9 hours on a daily basis at work. I'm not sure how many calories I burn, I don't think it's a lot, but I'm no expert in this matter. According to an app that I downloaded on my phone, it says that I should be eating around 3.4k calories on a daily basis, which I have been able to do on some days when just testing it out in the past. In regards to the cost that you mentioned, was the £1,500 a rough estimate for the entire goal that I have set myself for the bulking process?

When you say activity level, do you mean time spent on a daily or so basis where you train? Or does that include all of the walking and stuff that you do on a regular basis? Since I have to walk around and be on my feet for 9 hours on a daily basis at work. I'm not sure how many calories I burn, I don't think it's a lot, but I'm no expert in this matter. According to an app that I downloaded on my phone, it says that I should be eating around 3.4k calories on a daily basis, which I have been able to do on some days when just testing it out in the past. In regards to the cost that you mentioned, was the £1,500 a rough estimate for the entire goal that I have set myself for the bulking process?
    If you are not working out, are idling at 130lbs with your current food intake and activity level, and just start allpro, the increased activity will cause around a half pound per week weight drop. You will need to eat an additional 75k-150k calories to put on 30lbs, with about 7-10lbs of that being fat (sorry but as a natty its impossible to go up and down in weight without also going up and down in muscle/fat at the same time, only the ratios change). The variance is because some people will need alot more volume to gain the 20-25lbs of muscle, and some people when you throw calories at them, they just get more twitchy and will naturally just burn off a few hundred exra calories a day due to their increased energy level. This also happens when people try to lose weight, they might conserve a few hundred extra calories by just feeling drained and cold.

But yea that 1500 pound est is for the additional food you will need to gain the 30lbs on top of your normal diet.

The starting diet on allpro is 100g of fats/protein and 200-300g of carbs, its a bit over 2k cals. You are one of the few that need to start the program on a surplus(vs a 2 cycle cut to get to 13%) because your bmi is below 24, while mos start off with a bmi of 28 or more.

Hope that helps. and no you do not have to eat something crazy like just chicken breast, sweet potatoes, rice. and broc****, and 200g of protein. As i stated a pound of muscle is only 130g of protein, your body can make protein out of carbs just fine for the non essential AA's, and any extra protein will be used as a crappy fuel source since mammals cant store protein.

GymGiraffe is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    2) Ive explained this before but you can look over the last few pages. The long of the short of it is you never bend your back on allpro, if you are you are putting a massive load on your spinal errectors which tire quickly. They are meant for static holds, not dynamic movements.
    3) The point of the row is to hit your back/core in a static hold for a long duration. If the point was just to hit your lats, biceps, and shoulders, there are better choices.
    4) Ummm... The SLDL is just like a normal deadlift stance, you just dont touch the ground inbetween reps. You can start it off from a rack pull or a low set bench, or you can just deadlift it off the floor first before starting the exercise. Since you are using a much lighter weight than a normal deadlift, this shouldnt be a problem.
    Thanks, I skimmed over your answers from the last ten pages.
    It seems like I was learning from a video with the archaic form SLDL, where my back was rounding.

Also wanted to check to that I should be focusing on retracting the scapula when doing BOR?

I also talked to an Osteopathist about my posture and lower back. He suggested I drop deadlifts, switch BOR to a seated pulley row and squat using a smith machine.
    I think I'll reattempt SLDL with the new directions in mind, focus on developing form with lower weights for BOR and continue squats with dumbbells since I'm using lower weights. When I squat more I'll consider switching to the smith machine, hopefully I can develop some oblique strength with pilates for stability of lower back before then.

Originally Posted by GymGiraffe View Post
    Thanks, I skimmed over your answers from the last ten pages.
    It seems like I was learning from a video with the archaic form SLDL, where my back was rounding.

Also wanted to check to that I should be focusing on retracting the scapula when doing BOR?

I also talked to an Osteopathist about my posture and lower back. He suggested I drop deadlifts, switch BOR to a seated pulley row and squat using a smith machine.
    I think I'll reattempt SLDL with the new directions in mind, focus on developing form with lower weights for BOR and continue squats with dumbbells since I'm using lower weights. When I squat more I'll consider switching to the smith machine, hopefully I can develop some oblique strength with pilates for stability of lower back before then.
    Yes retract the scaplula on the row, think of it like starting a lawn mower. You loose the scapula at the bottom then pull them back.

Dumb question, what does your Osteopathist recommend for back rehab? It seems all they are doing is omitting back strengthening exercises. With zero stress, the ligaments will never get thicker, bone density will never increase, weak muscle tone that can lead to a pull if you go out side of you daily rang of motion, and if you get caught in an awkward position, your brain wont have the cns patterns to stabilize your back. I always make the joke about blowing out your back getting a gallon of milk out of the fridge when you are old, since that is all a SLDL is.

PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Food in london isn't bad I live in london it depends on where you shop lidl and aldi are great places to shop if you're on a budget also costco is cheap
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

21/12/16: 259lb
    21/1/18: 214lb
    Tranformation Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173362951&p=1481295921&posted=1#post1481295921

If you are not working out, are idling at 130lbs with your current food intake and activity level, and just start allpro, the increased activity will cause around a half pound per week weight drop. You will need to eat an additional 75k-150k calories to put on 30lbs, with about 7-10lbs of that being fat (sorry but as a natty its impossible to go up and down in weight without also going up and down in muscle/fat at the same time, only the ratios change). The variance is because some people will need alot more volume to gain the 20-25lbs of muscle, and some people when you throw calories at them, they just get more twitchy and will naturally just burn off a few hundred exra calories a day due to their increased energy level. This also happens when people try to lose weight, they might conserve a few hundred extra calories by just feeling drained and cold.

But yea that 1500 pound est is for the additional food you will need to gain the 30lbs on top of your normal diet.

The starting diet on allpro is 100g of fats/protein and 200-300g of carbs, its a bit over 2k cals. You are one of the few that need to start the program on a surplus(vs a 2 cycle cut to get to 13%) because your bmi is below 24, while mos start off with a bmi of 28 or more.

Hope that helps. and no you do not have to eat something crazy like just chicken breast, sweet potatoes, rice. and broc****, and 200g of protein. As i stated a pound of muscle is only 130g of protein, your body can make protein out of carbs just fine for the non essential AA's, and any extra protein will be used as a crappy fuel source since mammals cant store protein.
    Right, that made it a lot clearer. Thanks for clarifying. Hopefully I'll be on the right track from tomorrow, since I plan on starting my first cycle for this tomorrow!

Originally Posted by PhantomEater View Post
    Food in london isn't bad I live in london it depends on where you shop lidl and aldi are great places to shop if you're on a budget also costco is cheap
    Tesco mostly. But I guess you're right. I need to find alternatives, such as LIDL and Aldi. Never been to Costco, but I'll check it out - thanks for that.

PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10) PhantomEater is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Tesco mostly. But I guess you're right. I need to find alternatives, such as LIDL and Aldi. Never been to Costco, but I'll check it out - thanks for that.
    I done a shop in sainsburys and tesco in the last 2 weeks and both weeks have cost me roughly 50-60 quid, today I've just been to aldi and its cost me 24 only use tesco and the other big supermarkets for the little bits you may not find in aldi and lidl but it's well worth checking out mate, look after your pennies and all that
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"

21/12/16: 259lb
    21/1/18: 214lb
    Tranformation Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=173362951&p=1481295921&posted=1#post1481295921

kat301DAKU is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hello, I'm soon going on my 3rd cycle and want to increase weight by 20% for all exercises except curl by 10, since test day was quite easy. I started cycle 1 with very low weights and this is the biggest bump of weight I'm taking until now. (+2 kg each cycle and now +4kg~)

Is it a bad idea to up by 20%, in a way that it will harder to progress for future cycles? I weight 8kg more than on my 1st cycle but lost some muscle gains in december.
    PS: the allpro is an "on season" routine, but I'm planning on going towards a more intense version whenever possible

Registered User vimalrajsharma8's Avatar
    vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100) vimalrajsharma8 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Due to mobility and back pain issues I have ditched squats and SLD and replaced it Deadlift, Legpress and Leg curls. Is this ok?

What should be the correct order of exercises with these replacements?

Originally Posted by vimalrajsharma8 View Post
    Due to mobility and back pain issues I have ditched squats and SLD and replaced it Deadlift, Legpress and Leg curls. Is this ok?

What should be the correct order of exercises with these replacements?
    Oh boy i love it when they change the program before they even try to run it with baby weights...

Squats can be replaced with hack squats (deadlift with the bar behind the foot) or trap bar deadlifts using the lower handles.

SLDL can be replaced with the RDL, it would allow for a more back friendly upright angle, and it still wouldnt touch the ground between reps unless you have god like mobility.

You dont need a leg press or leg curls on any beginner routine till you are deadlifting 4 plate or more. You could try doing some glute ham raises for a few reps at the end of the workouts if you are strong enough.

I would also check out biolanes latest video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ETSo14cBA&gl=CA

the first exercise where he does the slight above the ground leg lift may help you out.

rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500) rlefebvr is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    [QUOTE=
    You dont need a leg press or leg curls on any beginner routine till you are deadlifting 4 plate or more. [/QUOTE]

I did not know that. Not doing them anyway, but used to do dumbbell squats in my old routine to simulate Leg press.

Was planning on adding walking lunges with dumbbells somewhere in the routine as I am worried about my hamstrings not getting enough work from your setup. (hamstrings are a concern for me)

Or do you think stiff legged deadlift is more than enough for the time being.

Ron

Closed Thread
Page 102 of 290 FirstFirst ... 2 52 92 100 101 102 103 104 112 152 202 ... LastLast