McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Question Why do cable curls?

I always see people doing cable curls (standing up, laying down, you see it all)

I never did them cuz i feel theyre a bit restrictive

Am i missing something here?

RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RH08 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Constant resistance. Using a BB or DB you get resistance on the positive but the negative doesn't provide the same resistance.
    iRep Back

LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50) LoneWolf2006 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think that the general consensus is that cable curls keep the tension on the target muscle for the entire movement. I'm sure there is some great scientific reason that Tyciol will be more than happy to explain.

In my current experience, I have VERY bad tendonitis. BB Curls and DB Curls are excruciating lifting from the hanging position. But doing cable curls seems to cause a lot less pain for me because the weight never really hangs dead.
    Last edited by LoneWolf2006; 09-23-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: See above. He beat me to it.
    Trying....is planning to fail.

GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500) GITZI is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by RH08 View Post
    Constant resistance. Using a BB or DB you get resistance on the positive but the negative doesn't provide the same resistance.
    x2.
    Half man, half troll...

Living the misc dream since 09!

☆☆☆υк ¢яєω☆☆☆

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    because people want to try new fancy stuff just for a change/because they don't see progress

I read it several times and still don't understand what you mean...
    3k+

Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Lol what?

The resistance is the same during the concentric (positive) or eccentric (negative) phase of the contraction with freeweight. The difference between freeweight and cable is, as said above, constant tension during the full ROM. If you have 50 lbs at the beginning of the contraction, you still have 50 lbs at the peak contraction.
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

Competition lift : 212 kg total (95/117) @ 77 kg

dat dere stick insect noflyingcars's Avatar
    noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) noflyingcars is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Saintsqc View Post
    Lol what?

The resistance is the same during the concentric (positive) or eccentric (negative) phase of the contraction with freeweight. The difference between freeweight and cable is, as said above, constant tension during the full ROM. If you have 50 lbs at the beginning of the contraction, you still have 50 lbs at the peak contraction.
    I just don't get what you guys mean...

there's always the same tension whether you're using BB, DB, cable, your mom, etc.

Only things at varying tension are the elastic bands and the chains.
    3k+

Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Noviceplus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by noflyingcars View Post
    The angle/direction is slightly different and slightly changes with the movement when using a cable. This leads to greater resistance along the x-axis, which can really be felt at peak contraction.

Although, I get the feeling you're just playing word games.

McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250) McBlouster has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I agree its probly just to try new stuff.

but it makes sense that tension towards the top of the motion is increased because the pully isnt rught under you, its a little bit further forwards

-rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250) -rEvolvEr- has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    They're a good change of pace movement.

I suggest guys out there with longer arms like me, to give them a shot. I love any variation of a cable curl (except the overhead cable crossover one ppl do).

Cable preacher curls are awesome. With free weight there is a point at the apex of the movement where it feels like tension is lost (similar to flies for chest). With cables that doesn't exist and it is a great movement.

my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000) my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000) my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000) my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000) my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000) my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000) my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000) my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000) my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000) my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000) my_name_is_bob is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by -rEvolvEr- View Post
    They're a good change of pace movement.

I suggest guys out there with longer arms like me, to give them a shot. I love any variation of a cable curl (except the overhead cable crossover one ppl do).

Cable preacher curls are awesome. With free weight there is a point at the apex of the movement where it feels like tension is lost (similar to flies for chest). With cables that doesn't exist and it is a great movement.
    Bingo. Cable preachers give me a burn that free weight preachers just can not deliver. I end my bicep workout two times a month with cable preachers. one of my favorite exercises by far.
    360 Gamertag: Capt Kettlebell
    Black Ops

PSN: X_eloh_X
    Borderdlands 2
    Gotham City Imposters

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!

DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DJAuto has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    One of my favorite bicep movements (using the Freedom Trainer).
    Bodybuilding is 60% training and 50% diet. Yes that adds up to 110%, because that's what you should be giving it. Change the inside, and the physique will follow.

Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10)

there's always the same tension whether you're using BB, DB, cable, your mom, etc.

You can speed up the BB,DB to get it past a sticking point fairly easy.

Cables on the other hand have multiple pulleys. Its next to impossible to speed that up when you're doing good weight. The extra pulleys minimize/eliminate the inertial so no matter how fast you speed it up for the easy part, its always going to get you at the sticking point.

Try to find bottom pull cable without multiple pulleys, find a direct drive pulley system and lift it the same way as you'd lift with a BB. You'd quickly found out that the weight reacts almost the same, then do a set on a multiple pulley (most common) and you'll see the difference.
    Back log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138027343

Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Saintsqc is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Your mom is too heavy for weight lifting. I cant deadlift over 405 yet, sry :s

Haha, seriously...the weight still the same, true, but the tension on your muscle vary. Its like when you do a DB flat bench fly. Once you reach the top, your chest is barely stress by the weight. You are just holding DB in front of you. Instead, if you are using cable, your chest is under tension when you hold the contraction at the top because of the pulley.

Get it? I hope I was clear :s
    ☆ ☆ QUEBEC CREW ☆ ☆

OW log :
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=149575693&p=977696913#post977696913

Competition lift : 212 kg total (95/117) @ 77 kg

Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mr-Tripster is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Saintsqc View Post
    You are just holding DB in front of you. Instead, if you are using cable, your chest is under tension when you hold the contraction at the top because of the pulley.

Get it? I hope I was clear :s
    That was a pretty bad example, with the db, the pressure on your hand is pushing straight down. With cable its pushing to your side at ~45` angle. If you could get the cable straight down, it would behave same at the top.
    Back log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=138027343

TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000) TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000) TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000) TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000) TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000) TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000) TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000) TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000) TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000) TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000) TAS44 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Did these for the first time yesterday. I love them now. Feels nice and controlled, you can feel the tension through the whole movement, and you get a nice burn. Little stress on the forearms/wrists like with BB curls.