Thread: Rack Deads

9 years and counting... MuscleTex's Avatar
    MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MuscleTex is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Rack Deads

Where do you guys start when doing rack deads? i started mine at the middle of my knees and i pulled 5 lbs. less than my max. This point was right at my sticking point. Maybe i should start a little higher??
    Find out who's a virgin....

[url]http://forum.bodybuilding.com/poll.php?do=showresults&pollid=7326[/url]

Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000)
    i say start right below your sticking point so you HAVE to work through it, that will make you stronger.
    http://www.fortified-iron.com/

Strength Training and Olympic lifting

mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

I do

deadlifts on a box...... it gives a way bigger range of motion, and when you go to do a regular dead you will find out your MAX is much higher than it is on the box...... for exmple:
    my MAX on the box 270lb, on regular dead 322lb ( new.....today!).
    try and give it a shot.

Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000) Sage is just really nice. (+1000)
    but Mtex is talking about rack/partial deads. Deadlifting from a box is fine, but that and rack serves two different purposes. I start lower, from upper shins and up.
    "Im the greatest scientifically inclined mind since einstein" -canibus-

mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) mushee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

yeah I understand

I just suggested him a way to improve his deadlift..... I was stuck a long time on 285lb MAX, now after 3 months of box deads my MAX is 322lb......

!Karins Xtreme Powerwear! Deejay_Spike's Avatar
    Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: yeah I understand

Originally posted by mushee
    I just suggested him a way to improve his deadlift..... I was stuck a long time on 285lb MAX, now after 3 months of box deads my MAX is 322lb......
    indeed, and the idea wasn't bad at all...

but there is one important aspect you should learn in order to give more apropriate advice.

when talking about improving a lift, especially the deadlift, you should know (if you don't, ask) the person's sticking point. and from there you have a better idea what to give for advice.

What you suggested is training from a block. that is with a greater rang of motion.
    That is an excellent way for people who are weak in the FIRST half of the movement (feet up to the knees), but who lockout rather easily.

Partial deads from the knees is to strengthen another weak point, namely those who have a hard time locking out, but are strong from the bottom.

So for a guy who is weak from the bottom, working with a greater range of motion can make a big difference.
    but for someone who is weak atthe lockout, it won't help half as much as working the weak spot directly (i.e. with partial deads)

your right....

I didn't read his post right than......
    partial deads are great to improve the lockout, box deads are great to improve the first half of the lift.

btw: I take weightlifting at school and we train for 3 lifts- bench press, squat and....... power cleans? this is soooo annoying!
    I'm going for a 228lb bench press in 4 weeks! and a squat somewhere between 320-330....... hope i'll make it!

bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: your right....

Originally posted by mushee
    I didn't read his post right than......
    partial deads are great to improve the lockout, box deads are great to improve the first half of the lift.

btw: I take weightlifting at school and we train for 3 lifts- bench press, squat and....... power cleans? this is soooo annoying!
    I'm going for a 228lb bench press in 4 weeks! and a squat somewhere between 320-330....... hope i'll make it!
    In all fairness though, those are very important lifts. The bench works your pressing muscles, the squat works your legs, and the clean works everything together, and does a lot for your pulling muscles.

Do they just have you do those lifts, or are there other lifts involved?
    http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/bluehazard/

LG Psarm/Anadraulic State Log
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=113518011

zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000)

Re: Re: your right....

Originally posted by bluehazard
    In all fairness though, those are very important lifts. The bench works your pressing muscles, the squat works your legs, and the clean works everything together, and does a lot for your pulling muscles.

Do they just have you do those lifts, or are there other lifts involved?
    I agree...those 3 lifts are what most school weightlifting classes will work on. That is what we trained when I played football. All very good lifts.
    --Zack
    www.FortifiedIron.com
    forums.FortifiedIron.com

lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Re: Re: Re: your right....

Originally posted by zackdarnell
    I agree...those 3 lifts are what most school weightlifting classes will work on. That is what we trained when I played football. All very good lifts.
    those 3 lifts are the same lifts my football team does except with the addition of deadlifts. also, to keep this on the same thread, what is the BEST way to improve the first 1/2 of the deadlift? I have trouble right off the ground at the start. I was thinking band DLs. any advice is welcome. i have like 5 days till ME squat anyways
    When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character. - Henry Rollins

box deads!

helped me a lot! I got 318lb today on a school contest with another school which is my personal compatition record.....
    got only third on the deadlift, but second overall..... and I did that while i'm sick and taking antibiotics.... I feel so praud!

lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250) lilmuscleman has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    cool, i was thinking of doing box deads on this coming ME, but i might do sumo deads instead. not too decided yet
    When I see guys working out for cosmetic reasons, I see vanity exposing them in the worst way, as cartoon characters, billboards for imbalance and insecurity. Strength reveals itself through character. - Henry Rollins

I agree

sumo deads are also helpfull, either way you should be able to get your deadlift up....good luck!

bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000) bluehazard is just really nice. (+1000)

Improving Bottom Half of Dead Lifts

Get into the power rack, place the pins just below knee height. Dead lift the bar up from the ground so you get stopped at the pins and pull up on the pins for a second or two, go back down.

Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000) Deciever is just really nice. (+1000)
    i could see that working, but i would definately have a concern for my health for one reason..

if you accelerate off the ground quickly, and smack into the pins, its going to really shock your body. I'd think you could hyper extend or disclocate something doing that...

Just my opinion
    http://www.fortified-iron.com/

Strength Training and Olympic lifting

hey deciever....

could you pm me your deadlifting routine? my deadlift is really holding me back and I really need some help.... how many days a week are you training for deadlift squat and bench?

-thanx-

Wink Deceiver

Originally posted by Deciever
    i could see that working, but i would definately have a concern for my health for one reason..

if you accelerate off the ground quickly, and smack into the pins, its going to really shock your body. I'd think you could hyper extend or disclocate something doing that...

Just my opinion
    Well, if you're flying up with the weight that quickly and with that strong of an explosion, then obviously you don't have much of a sticking point at the bottom so you wouldn't be using this drill :P