tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Question about cortizone before I go to the doc.

Ok, I'm going to break down and go to the doctor next Monday. I injured my shoulder many years ago and have been an off an on lifter since.
    I reinjured it about 2 years ago and laid off lifting while I waited for it to heal. Finally went to a doctor about six months ago and got another cortizone shot. About 10 weeks ago I started lifting again. My left arm is shot! I didn't realize how bad it got until I found out I couldn't bench half what I was doing before.
    I probably pushed it too fast, but now my shoulder is killing me again. I am still working out through the pain.

Here's my problem/question. My left arm is actually a complete inch smaller than my right. I have a 15.5 inch (not big, I know) right upper arm, but my left is even smaller (14.5). Is this a result of the cortizone? My right tricep is more than 3 times as pronounced as the left. I was wondering if anybody has heard of cortizone causing this problem. If that's the case, I would like to find another answer for the pain.

jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Cortisone is a strong anti-inflammatory, but one shot wouldn't do to your arm as you describe (unless you had some really bizarre side-effect). Your orthopedic surgeon should be able to use a bunch of physical tests and things like an MRI to explain what's going on.
    - Jason

tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500) tryintorebuild is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by jamacdon View Post
    Cortisone is a strong anti-inflammatory, but one shot wouldn't do to your arm as you describe (unless you had some really bizarre side-effect). Your orthopedic surgeon should be able to use a bunch of physical tests and things like an MRI to explain what's going on.
    I kind of figured that the atrophy was from not working out for so long. It just seems the right arm is progressing so much quicker than the left. I have changed all my workouts to barbells and done away with the dumbbells in hopes that would help with the assymetry. Is that the wrong approach?

jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) jamacdon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by tryintorebuild View Post
    I kind of figured that the atrophy was from not working out for so long. It just seems the right arm is progressing so much quicker than the left. I have changed all my workouts to barbells and done away with the dumbbells in hopes that would help with the assymetry. Is that the wrong approach?
    It's easier to favor a strong arm with a barbell, but I would try working with both barbells and dumbbells. Don't forget about your compound lifts either.
    - Jason

bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) bigtallox is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by jamacdon View Post
    It's easier to favor a strong arm with a barbell
    That's BROSCIENCE. Barbells are not constrained to be horizontal, the only degree of freedom you lose with a barbell over dumbells is that your hands have to say the same distance apart. barbells are not smith machines. Unless you have the grip of superman, you cannot exert any significant force on the left side of the barbell with your hand on the right side of the barbell. I'd suggest taking a freshman physics class.
    Qualifying for long drive contest with 328 yard drive
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKrGuFlqhaA

2017 Utah State Longest drive. This one went 328 and got me into finals
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx-_3HrZzI4

2017 Rockwell challenge. 325 yards
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeuB2rPMcBA

School of Lean Bulking Time4New's Avatar
    Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10) Time4New is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You don't say what is wrong with your shoulder. Have you tried rotator cuff exercises? Worked wonders for my shoulder injury. Always felt it in military press. Now perfect. Took 4-6 weeks.

mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) mslman71 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by tryintorebuild View Post
    Ok, I'm going to break down and go to the doctor next Monday. I injured my shoulder many years ago and have been an off an on lifter since.
    I reinjured it about 2 years ago and laid off lifting while I waited for it to heal. Finally went to a doctor about six months ago and got another cortizone shot. About 10 weeks ago I started lifting again. My left arm is shot! I didn't realize how bad it got until I found out I couldn't bench half what I was doing before.

I probably pushed it too fast, but now my shoulder is killing me again. I am still working out through the pain.
    Stop benching or don't worry about what you can bench (go lighter). Try DBs or some other exercises that will hit what you want to hit without causing you discomfort. BB bench is notorious for aggravating shoulder problems.
    2 + 2 = 5 (for extremely large values of 2)

Try SCE to AUX

Originally Posted by Time4New View Post
    You don't say what is wrong with your shoulder. Have you tried rotator cuff exercises? Worked wonders for my shoulder injury. Always felt it in military press. Now perfect. Took 4-6 weeks.
    I haven't tried rotator cuff exercises. I'm not real sure what I would need to do. I am going to a sports doctor next Monday, hopefully he will have some good rehab exercises. My biggest concern was if he suggested cortizone, I want to make sure it isn't causing problems anywhere else.

When I figure out how to post pics, I'll show the difference in the two arms. It is pretty noticable. It's also noticable in my shoulders, but not as much as it will be when I drop a little more in fat percentage.

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Get the shoulder evaluated before doing anything else. I had my initial cortisone shot done by a quack of an orthopedic doctor and it did some initial good. My next series was done after an MRI and diagnosis by a good orthopedic surgeon. They did it with ultrasound to put it in the best spot.

More often than not, there may be a couple of things going on with your shoulder. I would stop doing anything that irritates it. Standard shoulder exercises may help, but get it looked at and you probably have PT in your future.

Rob
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I can almost gaurantee they will wont you to do some rehab on it to try and strenghten it.I never had shoulder problems but got plenty of knee trouble(both) and i recently had a SynVisc One injection in my left knee.Not real sure on the difference between this stuff and a cortizone shot.I do know it is thick almost gel.And it acts as a lubricant.Any way google it for more detail.
    The stuff made a huge difference.My knee was hurting constantly when seated very long.And when when doing my cardio and lifting.Havent really had any probs with it since.It is meant to last a long time.
    "MOLON LABE!!!"-King Leonidas at Thermopylae

NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoleMan is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here is a link to the website for the med. http://www.synviscone.com/
    "MOLON LABE!!!"-King Leonidas at Thermopylae

Man, that is worth a look into! I hadn't heard of anthing like that, but when I see the doctor I will definitely ask about it. Thanks.

Location: Wokingham, Berkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10) NozzaC is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Someone on here recommended googling Diesel Crew shoulder rehab and I must say they are the best set of should rehab exercises I've come across so far.

Also I'd recommend taking Cissus. It's one of the only herb supplements that actually seems to work.

I've officially given up barbell pressing movements. No matter what form I use, bench press gives me shoulder problems. I might survive a light session or two but after that, the pain comes back and my shoulder goes downhill rapidly.

beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) beachguy498 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by NozzaC View Post
    Someone on here recommended googling Diesel Crew shoulder rehab and I must say they are the best set of should rehab exercises I've come across so far.

Also I'd recommend taking Cissus. It's one of the only herb supplements that actually seems to work.

I've officially given up barbell pressing movements. No matter what form I use, bench press gives me shoulder problems. I might survive a light session or two but after that, the pain comes back and my shoulder goes downhill rapidly.
    Cissus is good stuff, I highly recommend it. I'm pretty much forbidden to do any overhead push exercise. I have an impingement (greatly improved with PT), "arthritic changes", a bone spur and calcium deposits. I was in danger of shredding my front RC, so a good diagnosis is a good idea.

Rob
    In space, nobody can smell Uranus....

Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    That's BROSCIENCE. Barbells are not constrained to be horizontal, the only degree of freedom you lose with a barbell over dumbells is that your hands have to say the same distance apart. barbells are not smith machines. Unless you have the grip of superman, you cannot exert any significant force on the left side of the barbell with your hand on the right side of the barbell. I'd suggest taking a freshman physics class.
    Sorry, I believe I read an article a few months back that mentioned it. You're right, I read that but never tried it out.
    - Jason

Here is the arm difference. (If this works)
    Mirror image, so the left looks like its on the right and the right like its on the left.
    Attached Images

billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000) billb7581 is just really nice. (+1000)
    SynVisc FTW

Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000) Shaunhavoc is just really nice. (+1000)
    Couple of things to think about, your arms are probably not really different lengths, the injured arm will be pulling up to try and relieve the pain in the joint, do you have neck pain at all on the same side ? Cortisone is only good a few times to try and ease the pain and help the joint recover. I just had a spur removed from my shoulder 2 weeks ago, i did the cortisone, i did the exercises but a spurs a spur and i had only half the movement in the joint for the tendon. Feels heaps better already though. The sports doc should be able to give you a better idea of what your situation may be. good luck with it

OK. So I made it to the doctor. He said the problem is not in my shoulder. Called it Degenerative Disc Disorder and scheduled me for an MRI. I really think this is just a way of saying "You're no spring chicken." He did say there was muscle atrophy caused by nerves being pinched by swelling. Then he gave me a NSAID perscription and said take it for a week and come back.
    There's another thread on here about NSAID's and how they cause muscle atrophy problems, so it almost seems like a lose/lose situation until the swelling goes down. But maybe if I get the swelling down I can get off the pain pills and start to build.
    Anyway, until then I'll just keep lifting and hoping that I'm making gains. The good news is that lifting isn't compounding the problem. The pain is no different when I lift or when I don't.

Consistency. Intensity. Medtreker's Avatar
    Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000) Medtreker is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bigtallox View Post
    People often think that one arm favors during a bar press due to the way it feels. They'll see one arm seeming to struggle over the other. You aaaaalmost can if you try...or if you allow...almost it seems. Trick is to be thinking "form" through the press. Yet, ever see someone push one side up faster than the other, bar tilted?? that's what gives off that false impression. fact is, one arm IS weaker than the other often...but that just means a bar press is GOOD at equalling their strength over time.oh shyt, I think that may be broscience too...sorry big guy!
    Tony

"Punch It Bishop"

Nalu is just really nice. (+1000) Nalu is just really nice. (+1000) Nalu is just really nice. (+1000) Nalu is just really nice. (+1000) Nalu is just really nice. (+1000) Nalu is just really nice. (+1000) Nalu is just really nice. (+1000) Nalu is just really nice. (+1000) Nalu is just really nice. (+1000) Nalu is just really nice. (+1000) Nalu is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by mslman71 View Post
    Stop benching or don't worry about what you can bench (go lighter). Try DBs or some other exercises that will hit what you want to hit without causing you discomfort. BB bench is notorious for aggravating shoulder problems.
    ^^^Great advice!

BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BLaaR has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Like many, I have a shot shoulder.

I found that using dumbells helped with the "stabilizing muscles" and shoulder stability and fix muscular imbalances. I still do barbell bench but try to rotate between the dumbells and the barbells.

Another tip I found that helped me big time was push ups and as mentioned rotatorcuff strengthening.

I am always amazed at the heavy benchers at my gym who is walking with forward rotated shoulders, they can barbell bench 160kg yet they struggle to lift 45kg dumbells.