Thread: Flat Iron Steak

UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Flat Iron Steak

Anyone ever eat these/know much about them? I grilled one tonight and it was a pretty tasty steak. Not tough at all. Also seemed to have little to no fat content at all.

Opinions/detail on this steak?

nhemmie7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nhemmie7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nhemmie7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nhemmie7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nhemmie7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nhemmie7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i eat these all the time...kroger sells them fairly cheap so i buy them a lot. Hopefully they are somewhat healthy

mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) mrbeverage is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by UGAdawg2 View Post
    Anyone ever eat these/know much about them? I grilled one tonight and it was a pretty tasty steak. Not tough at all. Also seemed to have little to no fat content at all.

Opinions/detail on this steak?
    bodybuilders and steak have a funny relationship.
    our government grades our meat by the fat (marbling) through out it. the more fat marbling the higher the grade. on one hand if you go to Ruth's Chris steak house for 38 bucks you will get a USDA PRIME piece of meat, ideal for a steak lover, because of all the fat marbling it will taste great, but will have a high fat gram per ounce count. the next grade, USDA choice, has less marbling but is still pretty high in fat, the next grade down is USDA choice, it makes an awful steak to buy at a restaurant because of its lean to no marbling, but is ideal for body builders. a flat iron steak is a "newly named" but old time cut of really bad top sirloin or other cuts. they are a poor mans steak, but once again ideal for bodybuilders, they are usually no more than 4 to 6 ounces and go through a tenderizing process to make up for low fat marbling. i love the buggers.
    30 to 40 grams of lean protein on demand.
    Outback Steak house sells a lower grade of meat that is ideal for bodybuilders also. luckily the cheaper grades and cuts of meat, like flat irons, are the best for lean eating. the only down side is that cheaper grades and cheaper cuts tend to have to be cooked a little more towards the "done side" to avoid being too chewy.
    Last edited by mrbeverage; 10-21-2007 at 06:50 PM.
    The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
    Ronald Reagan

UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10) UGAdawg2 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by mrbeverage View Post
    bodybuilders and steak have a funny relationship.
    our government grades our meat by the fat (marbling) through out it. the more fat marbling the higher the grade. on one hand if you go to Ruth's Chris steak house for 38 bucks you will get a USDA PRIME piece of meat, ideal for a steak lover, because of all the fat marbling it will taste great, but will have a high fat gram per ounce count. the next grade, USDA choice, has less marbling but is still pretty high in fat, the next grade down is USDA choice, it makes an awful steak to buy at a restaurant because of its lean to no marbling, but is ideal for body builders. a flat iron steak is a "newly named" but old time cut of really bad top sirloin or other cuts. they are a poor mans steak, but once again ideal for bodybuilders, they are usually no more than 4 to 6 ounces and go through a tenderizing process to make up for low fat marbling. i love the buggers.
    30 to 40 grams of lean protein on demand.
    Outback Steak house sells a lower grade of meat that is ideal for bodybuilders also. luckily the cheaper meats, like flat irons, are the best for lean eating.
    Thanks a lot for that info. That is good news to hear. I eat them a lot. "Cheap man's steak" that's def. true. I'm a college student, and I try to find the best bang for my buck when it comes to food shopping. REPPED.

gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250) gbauers has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I also eat these flat iron steaks a lot. At least 2x a week. Up to 4x when bulking. I actually like them better than prime rib and ny strip (the "better" cuts). I did get to buy a 4 pack of T-bones tonight though since they were on sale. Im pretty excited to eat a couple of them tomorrow night

Good post. Was curious about them being healthy as well.