View Poll Results: To Train Triceps or not?

Voters
94. You may not vote on this poll
  • Train Triceps

86 91.49%
  • Don't Train Triceps

8 8.51%
    Drewski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Train Triceps or not?

This question is stumping me a little bit.

Volume trainers believe that you need to train your triceps in order to improve your pressing movements i.e Bench, Militaries.

However, HITers believe that training triceps is a waste of time as they are getting enough of a workout from shoulder and chest training and to train them exclusively would OVER train them and slow progress.

After a 4 months hiatus I've gotten back into weightlifting in a 2 day per week pseudo HIT style training and everything is going well except for chest development and triceps.

What do you all think? To train them or not?
    You may take our lives but you will never take our freedom.

(William Wallace)

...Save what we have of it:
    http://www.usfa.biz/

[insert amateur philosophy here]

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i like training them. Imho, they don't get enough work on chest to completely ignore them. Nothing beats some heavy dips, skullcrushers, or close-grip benches
    Booo

coreman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To train them or not? There is no outright yes or no answer. It depends on your recovery ability and what type of workload you do for chest and shoulders. It also depends on when you work chest and shoulders.

Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10) Sychokid is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    As long as the triceps have time to rest from shoulders and chest. So you are saying i can't train biceps because it gets worked with the back and lats. Try telling any normal bb to stop training their biceps and tell me th response you get.

Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Ok...i don't train biceps directly. Triceps is the same. If my (or a clients) triceps are lagging i simply switch exercises to lean more towards triceps emphasis over chest/shoulders for a while.

For example on chest workouts i'd switch to weighted dips instead of bench for a while or move my hands slightly closer together when doing benches to place a little more emphasis on tris.

Likewise for back I always do pulldowns with a close supinated grip to give my biceps and lats an equal share of the work.

Carefull exercise selection can often avoid having to use many different exercises to work all the muscles of the body. That's the name of the game for HITers anyways......efficiency.

http://www.angelfire.com/ego/gethuge

"He that teaches us anything which we knew not before is undoubtedly to be reverenced as a master." - Samuel Johnson

Drewski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Drewski has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cheers GetHuge, I remember speaking to you a while back.

Is it okay to PM you?

BTW I do Upper Body on day 1 and Lower Body, Back and Biceps on Day 2.

Upper Body consists of just Shoulder Press, Shrugs, Upright Rows, Bench and Dips. 1 set to failure on each.
    You may take our lives but you will never take our freedom.

(William Wallace)

...Save what we have of it:
    http://www.usfa.biz/

[insert amateur philosophy here]

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    the only tricep work I do curently is CG bench

with incline bench
    flat bench
    and military press
    Close Grip is all I feel I need for tricep work
    I might switch to extensions or skullcrushers or pressdowns at some point if I dont like how this works but I don't often do CG Bench so I decided to give it some time
    I like it so far

JeremyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Tricpes make up more of your arm than any other muscle.....

I train them HARD. I want size......

Totally depends on your workout though. If you do a lot of compound heavy lifts that involve them, you may already be hitting them enough....

Farshid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Hey body. U have to work on each single muscle to get a good result for your whole body. When you work on your chest you also work a little bit on your triceps, but you only concentrate on your chest, so it doesn't give a good result for triceps.
    Don't care about what people say

Believe in yourself and go your own way

HITKING has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Re: "HITers believe that training triceps is a waste of time as they are getting enough of a workout from shoulder and chest training"

What HITers have you been talking with? Just about every HIT routine I have done has used a tricep exercise. The only routine I did that did not use a tricep exercise was one where I did weighted dips. I personally love doing the tricep pressdown (cable and v bar). I think it is great exercise for triceps. There are also some tricep extension machines that work very well. I have have made great progress in the tri and that have gotten noticeably bigger over the last few months and stronger. The key to do triceps, shoulders, and chest togegher. Likewise do biceps, and lat exercises on the same day. This avoids training theses muscles twice. Do only one set to complete failure on arms and then do a breakdown set or two. Go heavy use a lower rep scheme (I use 5-7) than what you use for chest and lats. Your delts and arms muscle are faster twitch; therefore, they respond better to lower rep ranges.
    The key to muscular growth is logic, sound science, and hard work.

I'm a recovering ectomorph. 27, 5'8", 175. Have trained off and on for years but only seriously since mid-April 2002.

Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000) Lats McGee is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally posted by HITKING
    Re: "HITers believe that training triceps is a waste of time as they are getting enough of a workout from shoulder and chest training"

What HITers have you been talking with? Just about every HIT routine I have done has used a tricep exercise. The only routine I did that did not use a tricep exercise was one where I did weighted dips. I personally love doing the tricep pressdown (cable and v bar). I think it is great exercise for triceps. There are also some tricep extension machines that work very well. I have have made great progress in the tri and that have gotten noticeably bigger over the last few months and stronger. The key to do triceps, shoulders, and chest togegher. Likewise do biceps, and lat exercises on the same day. This avoids training theses muscles twice. Do only one set to complete failure on arms and then do a breakdown set or two. Go heavy use a lower rep scheme (I use 5-7) than what you use for chest and lats. Your delts and arms muscle are faster twitch; therefore, they respond better to lower rep ranges.
    bump on everything this guy said.
    "I thought I was looking at my mother's old douche bag except that's in Ohio." - Dudley Dawson aka Booger

"Idle Hands spend time at the genitals, and we all know God hates that" - Drippy

Train smarter not harder amusclehead's Avatar
    amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) amusclehead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Jm presses are greeeeeeeeeeeeat
    Booo

Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Gethuge has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool

Originally posted by Farshid
    Hey body. U have to work on each single muscle to get a good result for your whole body. When you work on your chest you also work a little bit on your triceps, but you only concentrate on your chest, so it doesn't give a good result for triceps.
    ah ha....yeah....right.
    http://www.angelfire.com/ego/gethuge

"He that teaches us anything which we knew not before is undoubtedly to be reverenced as a master." - Samuel Johnson

Farshid has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Gethuge
    ah ha....yeah....right.

I am serious.
    you have to focus on some specific area, not working on chest to get a result on triceps.
    Don't care about what people say

Believe in yourself and go your own way

Registered User Complete Muscle's Avatar
    Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Complete Muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well I guess I'm in the minority here, but I don't train tris directly (i.e. isolation exercises). They get hit plenty with compound pushing movements, esp weighted dips. And while it's true that bis get worked with pulling movements, for whatever reason my pulls always lag compared to my pushes. So I do throw in a set or two of curls. My tris totally out perform my bis at this point.
    Make time to eat!

Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    the poll results speak for themselves
    "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
    - Bruce Lee

"My studying mimics my training. Brief, intense and infrequent.."
    - Big Red

coreman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Buff_Daddy
    the poll results speak for themselves
    and prove absolutely diddly pooh

P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50) P.T.B.W will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I am of the opinion that dbs limit tricep involvement in any bench press(be it flat, incl, or decl) so if you use mostly dbs tricep work is a must. Barbell benching involves tris more(at least for me) so you might use a different volume of tri work depending on what you use.
    Also, many sports require strong triceps. If you are in one of these sports, direct tricep work is, IMO, a must.
    "You are what your deep, driving desire is. As your desire is, so is your will. As is your will is, so is your deed. As your deed is, so is your destiny."-
    The Upanishads, Bridhadaranyaka IV. 5

"Kill the buddha!"

Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Buff_Daddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally posted by coreman
    and prove absolutely diddly pooh
    no $hit , its a poll, it doesnt literaly prove anything

you go and exclude direct tricept workouts, in fact exclude direct work for all minor muscles, well see how balanced a physique you develop
    "Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do."
    - Bruce Lee

"My studying mimics my training. Brief, intense and infrequent.."
    - Big Red

Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50) Sweetness will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I dont think there is a 1 size fits all formula to bodybuilding you need to find what works for you. If your not getting any results then you need to modify something, be it rest, nutrition or the program itself.
    "A weed holds up its head in arrogance while a mature grain bows its head in humility"

"A closed mouth can save a fish from the hook as well as stay secrets from the enemy"

wannagetbig has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I believe it was Arnold who said that one of the biggest mistakes he made early in his career was neglecting to train his triceps. Triceps are a large muscle and if you want to have big arms you need big triceps. Everybody has their own preference though.

Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50) Ibanez will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Yes, Definitely Train your Triceps. I would rather have impressive tris than with decent bi's. Than excellent bi's and pretty much no exsistent Tri's. Got to love the Close Grip Bench, Skull Crushers, Pressdowns, etc.

It always amuses me when I talk to some of the football players at my school about training. I really found it funny when the one TE told me that your bicep is pretty much your whole arm and train them and train triceps every once and a while. I had to laugh at him.

JeremyD has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by Ibanez
    I really found it funny when the one TE told me that your bicep is pretty much your whole arm and train them and train triceps every once and a while. I had to laugh at him.

ahahahahaha

sorry, just had to laugh at that one