feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Assistance Exercise Programming

After my next competition I am completely "renovating" how I am training. Too much maximal weights in the squat and dead lift (I wanted to get to 500lbs in this lift, but now I don't care) have rendered me slow and my second pull acceleration is beginning to deteriorate. I am planning on basing all of my squats and pulls off of competition lift bests rather than the best of the exercise itself and I have a couple of questions. For my squats (front and back) and (clean) pulls: What is an appropriate % of my clean and jerk max to work with? I was thinking about having my heaviest sets be doubles of 120% and my moderate sets be sets of 3 or five at 110-115%.
    I would also like to know how often these exercises should be done. I only perform the full lifts at my coach's gym. The problem is that I can only drive there 2 MAYBE 3x a week if I am lucky. Most of the week I am on my own and these exercises are the only ones I feel confident enough to perform without a coach's supervision (aside from power jerks and other overheads).
    Any system that has helped with your lifts or your lifters' lifts would be very helpful. Thank you in advance to any who may reply.

(posted this on a different site so the diction may be a little weird.)
    Gym lifts (PB): C&J: 132.5k, Snatch: 107.5k (p)Jerk: 138k, Clean: 137k Front Squat: 153
    Deadlift: 455, Squat: 380(oly) 360 (pl), Bench: 245, CPUs: 9001
    Comp Total: 237k

wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000) wrkoutfrq is a name known to all. (+5000)
    i probably wont be much help as you are way ahead in terms of experience and skill than me, but my accessory work never really involves full deads. i do Oly lifting 3 days a week, 2 days of one lift focus, and one of the other. i do back squats twice a week and fronts once

For instance, say i'm on a snatch focus week:

Monday
    Snatch doubles
    Clean and Jerk complex (ex: 3 x Hang squat cleans + jerk)
    heavy snatch pull (5 x 3 to fail with good form)
    jerk work
    Back squats 5x3 @ 80% of 3 rep max (basically light, almost deload weight)

Wednesday
    clean and jerk (either singles to max or doubles, depending on day)
    Snatch accessory (similar to Monday C&J)
    heavy clean pulls (same intensity as snatch pulls from Mon)
    Strict presses (for lockout, a weak point of mine)
    Front squat 3x3 to fail

Friday
    Snatch doubles (or singles depending)
    romanian deads or SLDL (5 x 3 to fail with good form)
    jerk work
    Back squats 5x3 to fail

it's worked well for me, but that could be newb gains, who knows. hope that helped a little. also, i haven't noticed any loss in my deadlift numbers without actually doing straight up deads
    "The weak-minded would shrink away from what must be done for fear of being ridiculed by the wicked" - Terry Goodkind

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"...-Ghandi

Prep Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=158667243

feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) feces99 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by wrkoutfrq View Post
    i probably wont be much help as you are way ahead in terms of experience and skill than me, but my accessory work never really involves full deads. i do Oly lifting 3 days a week, 2 days of one lift focus, and one of the other. i do back squats twice a week and fronts once

For instance, say i'm on a snatch focus week:

Monday
    Snatch doubles
    heavy snatch pull (5 x 3 to fail with good form)
    jerk work
    Back squats 5x3 @ 80% of 3 rep max (basically light, almost deload weight)

Wednesday
    clean and jerk (either singles to max or doubles, depending on day)
    Snatch accessory (similar to Monday C&J)
    heavy clean pulls (same intensity as snatch pulls from Mon)
    Strict presses (for lockout, a weak point of mine)
    Front squat 3x3 to fail

Friday
    Snatch doubles (or singles depending)
    romanian deads or SLDL (5 x 3 to fail with good form)
    jerk work
    Back squats 5x3 to fail

it's worked well for me, but that could be newb gains, who knows. hope that helped a little. also, i haven't noticed any loss in my deadlift numbers without actually doing straight up deads
    Thanks for your input. BTW for a better lockout, I would use what my coach calls "nose presses". You push press a weight overhead, bring it down to about the top of the nose bridge, and then press. You can use more weight which in turn helps your lockout. Its kinda like a board press for the overhead lifts.
    Gym lifts (PB): C&J: 132.5k, Snatch: 107.5k (p)Jerk: 138k, Clean: 137k Front Squat: 153
    Deadlift: 455, Squat: 380(oly) 360 (pl), Bench: 245, CPUs: 9001
    Comp Total: 237k

ugjennomtrengelig mørke fraverdenstreet's Avatar
    fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000) fraverdenstreet is just really nice. (+1000)
    i think i remember reading somewhere that the general % for clean pulls should be no more than 110 % (in working sets) than your best clean. could be wrong

nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nohomejerome is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    you should add some barbell rows and weighted abs in there

rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rdferguson is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by fraverdenstreet View Post
    i think i remember reading somewhere that the general % for clean pulls should be no more than 110 % (in working sets) than your best clean. could be wrong
    I've read the same thing. I remember the first time I did a clean pull, I figured "I can deadlift x amount, and a clean pull's basically a speed pull with a shrug, so I'll just do half my deadlift quickly." Not the best idea I've ever had (I'm relatively good at deadlifts but suck at Olympic lifting, have been switching over this year; I can only clean about 1/3 of what I can deadlift), but now I'm only clean pulling the same weight or maybe a couple kilos more than what I'm cleaning, and it certainly feels like a more appropriate weight to be using for the sake of improving my cleans.
    SQ 172.5kg. BP 105kg. DL 200kg. OHP 62.5kg @ 67.3kg

Greg Everett says: "You take someone who's totally sedentary and you can get 'em stronger by making them pick their nose vigorously for an hour a day."

Sometimes I write things about training: modernstrengthtraining.wordpress.com