sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

box squat or parallel squat?

What is more beneficial for me to increase my acceleration and vertical, box squats or regular parallel squats. I can currently parallel squat 235 once and I weight 155 lbs. Thanks

U Mirin' My Training Son? TheKilboBBC's Avatar
    TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheKilboBBC will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Box, because when you descend with regular (parallel) squats you use the built up elastic energy to return to the starting position (upright). Use of a box eliminates that, so your body has to use more force to return to the upright position. This will give you the gains you seek when you return to parallel squats.
    ++ Positive Crew ++

{<~Strong Lurker - Be Honored If I Post Kruw~>}

daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sports19 View Post
    What is more beneficial for me to increase my acceleration and vertical, box squats or regular parallel squats. I can currently parallel squat 235 once and I weight 155 lbs. Thanks
    Cycle them.

sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sports19 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ok well as of now I do a hybrid 5/3/1 program but instead of deadlifting I squat in place of that. So if you guys are familiar with that basically I do the squat workouts twice a week. So I was thinking Dave you mentioned cycling them so what if I parallel squat the first 3 weeks and then on the 4th week when I am supposed to deload with half the weight I just do box squats then? Thanks guys

freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10) freed59 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    since you are squatting twice a week do box squats one day and full squats the other

Turning Betas into Gammas Wyomann's Avatar
    Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Wyomann has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by TheKilboBBC View Post
    Box, because when you descend with regular (parallel) squats you use the built up elastic energy to return to the starting position (upright). Use of a box eliminates that, so your body has to use more force to return to the upright position. This will give you the gains you seek when you return to parallel squats.
    This ^

Box squats train explosive legs because it breaks the eccentric concentric connection "stretch reflex". Go read some Westside Barbell articles and it explains this in depth.

dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ok well as of now I do a hybrid 5/3/1 program but instead of deadlifting I squat in place of that. So if you guys are familiar with that basically I do the squat workouts twice a week. So I was thinking Dave you mentioned cycling them so what if I parallel squat the first 3 weeks and then on the 4th week when I am supposed to deload with half the weight I just do box squats then? Thanks guys
    Box squats would be pointless there because a deload week is for recovery not progression. As to your op neither lift directly influences vert or acceleration but both the box and full squat strengthen the posterior chain which would in turn enhance any vert/accel training you are doing. Unless you have a preexisting knee condition you should be full squatting not half (parallel) squatting.

EDIT: Do full squats both times, box squats both times, or mix it up doesn't matter. Both lifts will benefit you.
    http://voidempathy.blogspot.com/
    It has words and stuff

lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50) lift4sport will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Box squat to depth too, I find that parallel is most effective for strengthening my regular squat and entire lower body. I see lots of people doing partial rep box squats, but they seem to lack full development and explosiveness.
    Began training: 09/2010
    Height: 5'10 Bodyweight: 183-187

Dec 10 2012: Vertical: 32", Standing Broad Jump: 9'0 (SBJ/Ht: 1.54), Hang Clean: 265

Sep 2012: High Bar Squat 300-1x5, Bench 265, Deadlift 365-1x8 and 405-1x4, Hang Snatch 160-1x5, Clean 225. Pullup: BW + 75lbs

Check out my 5/3/1 Log here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=148249703

daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50) daveshit will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You can cycle them if you want to squat once a week. If you want to squat twice you can substitute deadlifts with box squats, they are pretty similar in muscles worked, especially if you do sumo deadlifts.

For once a week, I'd do full cycle of squats, and then switch to box for another cycle. I think that a lot of guys can go more than 3 weeks without deload, so you can try deloading after 6 weeks, that means after second cycle.
    Didn't try this program yet, but I heared and read from few guys that can be done.

jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jmar4eva has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do box squats because of a lower back injury both are good but if training for vert and acceleration deff imput deadlifts into your workout

josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10) josear3 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Use both, if you train legs twice a week then alternate for each workout. Both have a benefit for your goals.
    ACE Personal Trainer

trinitypt3.wordpress.com

Twitter @TrinityPT3

trinitypersonaltraining3 @ gmail

Rocketman7 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    1. your Parallel Squat is very weak. You should be able to squat at least 2x your body weight to be considered "strong", therefore you should squat 310 lbs.

2. Box Squats are great for learning the correct movement of the squat, so do them if you're having trouble with your squatting technique.

3. Don't parallel squat, do deep squats instead, they are better for developing Range of Motion and Strengh in the posterior chain !

SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SoccerMuscle5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I like the box squat. No bouncing, no touch & go, its just overall a good squat
    No Excuses just results

Muscle Gauge Nutrition Rep

madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10) madeira17 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I was thinking about doing a maximal effort squat day once a week then doing a dymanic box squat session once a week. If I do that though where can I incorporate running to get in shape. My overall goal is to get a lot stronger though then get in better shape if that helps. Thanks

dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dgcoats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by madeira17 View Post
    I was thinking about doing a maximal effort squat day once a week then doing a dymanic box squat session once a week. If I do that though where can I incorporate running to get in shape. My overall goal is to get a lot stronger though then get in better shape if that helps. Thanks
    Run later in the day or the day after. If you run before you're lifting session (especially ME day) will be compromised.
    http://voidempathy.blogspot.com/
    It has words and stuff