Thread: Neck Workout

JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Neck Workout

So I need some help! My genetics and workouts have given me decent sized shoulders, but my neck is still so skinny :/ What are some exercises that I can do to thicken my neck? (Only serious answers lol, I feel like this might get out of hand)
    If you want it, you have to work for it.

Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pluto1998 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by JMUdukes View Post
    So I need some help! My genetics and workouts have given me decent sized shoulders, but my neck is still so skinny :/ What are some exercises that I can do to thicken my neck? (Only serious answers lol, I feel like this might get out of hand)
    To thicken and develop your neck, you need to do shrugs(dumbell or barbell). The upper traps connect to the base of the skull.
    http://nicktumminello.com/wp-content...ezius.jpg1.png
    Strength without endurance, is as useless as, endurance without strength

*Eternal Virgin Crew*

JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10) JMUdukes is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Thanks for the help! +repped
    If you want it, you have to work for it.

first blood has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Ive added a few inches to my neck doing old fashioned barbell curls

Dumbbell upright rows are also really good

VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250) VIsland has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Your neck will grow as you progress in all your lifts. No need to specifically train neck on it's own IMO.

AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100)
    I prefer this exercise http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Swv9r9nded4 especially for the neck but exercises like shrugs, upright rows, db rows, all help the muscle around the neck.
    (plz +rep me )
    Oh dear... Is this where I say "Ouch"?
    -Eddie Brock aka Venom (my fav)

AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100) AnaBULLic is not very well liked. (-100)
    also check out what i found ya http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercise.../6/muscle/neck
    isometric exercises may be helpful as well!
    Oh dear... Is this where I say "Ouch"?
    -Eddie Brock aka Venom (my fav)

ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    At age 18, I had a 15" neck. By age 21, it was right at 20". I was into boxing big-time, where neck strength and mass is highly advantageous. How did I do it? Well, I trained the bejeezus out of it.

I pulled a muscle in my neck on several occasions (try to make your ear touch your shoulder, then stay in that position all day... I couldn't get out of it!), going heavy using a 4-way neck machine -- see below. But it always healed within a few days, and I was back at it.

When I started out, I used ankle weights (the sand-bag weights), and strapped them to my skull... and did exercises like that, any which way I could manage.

Eventually you get to the advanced neck exercises that pro boxers do. For example, get into a pushup (UP) position, with your ass up in the air, then put your head on the floor... and then put your hands behind your back. Best to put a towel down, and then you do neck rolls in that position.

^DO NOT try that, until you're ready. Otherwise you will break your neck.

Here's an example of Tyson doing some neck rolls, in the reverse position (this will work the front of the neck)... see 1:55

But for most people, you should just stick to basic exercises. Use a machine like the one below, and just keep it light. Or just use the ankle weights like I did, when I first started. Anyway, I haven't trained my neck muscles in over 10 years, and my neck is still just a hair over 19". So once you get the neck, you keep it, apparently.

P.S.
    I was never knocked out. Seldom ever staggered, even by a serious blow. Pretty sure my neck strength was part of that... but not all of it (I also have a thick fukcing skull).
    Also, I will tell you that people with scrawny necks are REALLY easy to knock out... both in, and out of the ring.

"One-punch wonders"... in some cases.

Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500) Tyciol is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by VIsland View Post
    Your neck will grow as you progress in all your lifts. No need to specifically train neck on it's own IMO.
    Depends on what lifts someone's doing. Out of the powers, probably dead more than bench/squat.

ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ManVsIron is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by VIsland View Post
    Skip to 6:37...

That's Ken Waller doing lat pull-downs. Obviously they're all taking stuff that we can't even mention without being banned. But even still with the muscle development, my point is -- look how skinny that neck is. It just looks funny.

And I don't go out of my way to piss on other peoples' comments, but to the ones that say, "work your traps"... ehh... you can shrug hundreds of pounds and turn your traps into beasts, AND still have the scrawny neck. Just like Ken Waller.

For most guys, it never matters (in terms of aesthetics). But please, if you're going to build a lot of muscle... you need to work the neck itself. My own neck is starting to look too thin relative to it's surrounding muscles, even at 19". Have to break out the ol' boxing training regimen, just a little bit...

Don't be a muscle head with a scrawny neck, though. Just looks ridiculous. Plus you might get into a fight someday... and you'll thank me.