Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

So The Static Hold You Have To Partially Lift The Weight Up, Thats A Lot Of Friggin Weight, I Dont Know If I Could Lift 600 Up To Hold It. How Far Do You Travel Up With The Bar From The Squat Rack To Begin The Hold? My Best Deadlift Was 545, Last Time I Only Did 495, What Weight Should I Be Able To Do? How Long Do You Hold The Bar?
    Goals:
    (1) 600 lb Deadlift
    (2) 600 lb Squat
    (3) 400 lb Bench
    (4) Drop 20 lbs to compete in 220 lb class
    (5) 1600 lb total: Raw, Pure, & Drug Free

eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000) eggy_wont_grow is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Eggiehead
    So The Static Hold You Have To Partially Lift The Weight Up, Thats A Lot Of Friggin Weight, I Dont Know If I Could Lift 600 Up To Hold It. How Far Do You Travel Up With The Bar From The Squat Rack To Begin The Hold? My Best Deadlift Was 545, Last Time I Only Did 495, What Weight Should I Be Able To Do? How Long Do You Hold The Bar?

set the safety bars high so wenn u lift it, its only an inch or two off of them-remember, the goal isnt to lift the bar but to train grip strength. lift it a few inches so youre standing vertical and hold on for dear life. wen ur grip gives, the barbell only falls 2-3 inches so it wont make an enormous thud.

got grip?
    got ____?

Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Eggiehead has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Thanks for the info, how about finger curls? what are they? I just ordered John Brookfields grip books, maybe it will illustrate with some photo's. With dumbells I'm assuming you pick em up and just hold em, my gym only goes up to 130 Lbs, is that enough weight?
    Goals:
    (1) 600 lb Deadlift
    (2) 600 lb Squat
    (3) 400 lb Bench

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

With dumbells I'm assuming you pick em up and just hold em, my gym only goes up to 130 Lbs, is that enough weight?
    You can either buy a thick handled DB or barbell OR you can make your own. I have done both. You might just haffta bring your own to the gym and load up the plates as much as you can and then lift. 130 pounds is good to start with but then again, it's not a thick handled 130# DB is it??
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100)

Exclamation wtf?!

http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/open...sofcrush1.html

ironmind has created a gripper that is only 60lbs! I thought coc distinguished itself by making tough grippers, not tough looking grippers...
    Last edited by kliplemet; 07-03-2005 at 02:58 PM.

Captain of Crush(wannabe) UWBodyBuilder's Avatar
    UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    this lets people with weaker strength still have something to work towards, and also gives very strong people more to work dynamic thumb excercises with. plus some find they make excellent warmup cool down... very smart move on ironminds part too bad they are the same price though
    Squeeze, REALLY HARD

Bench: 225 for reps
    Squat: 355 for reps
    Deadlift: 350 for reps

popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by kliplemet
    http://www.ironmind.com/ironcms/open...sofcrush1.html

ironmind has created a gripper that is only 60lbs! I thought coc distinguished itself by making tough grippers, not tough looking grippers...
    They have an 80lbs one aswell! I think it's a good idea myself, I mean, for weak guys to get involved. I could close the trainer easily and the #1 with difficulty when I first got the CoCs.

Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000) Boridi is just really nice. (+1000)
    Why shouldn't easier grippers be made? Last time I checked grip training isn't an elite club that likes to exclude people.

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Exclamation

Originally Posted by kliplemet
    The Pro and the Sport are grippers that are a tad easier than the Trainer because a lot of people got the Trainer and even THAT was too tough for them. IronMind probably figured out that everyone should benefit from grip training even women and kids and this is the answer to the problem. To give you an example: my 12 year old niece has problems with the Trainer but can close the Sport.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100) kliplemet is not very well liked. (-100)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by John Hicks
    The Pro and the Sport are grippers that are a tad easier than the Trainer because a lot of people got the Trainer and even THAT was too tough for them. IronMind probably figured out that everyone should benefit from grip training even women and kids and this is the answer to the problem. To give you an example: my 12 year old niece has problems with the Trainer but can close the Sport.
    I see your point. I am just surprised since every sporting goods store sells these easy grippers.

UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UWBodyBuilder has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ahh, but none of high quality or knurling, nothing to really prepare them for CoC or to have even a slight standard
    Squeeze, REALLY HARD

popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50) popeye_99 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

UWBodybuilder, I'm having problems getting passed #2 for 3 reps. Any new ideas dude?

Do you have a 'grip buddy' i.e. a training partner for grip work?

And I've seen that you are deadlifting 265 for reps. That's getting good, how many reps can you do? I do 315lbs x 5 on deads, raw.

patrickg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) patrickg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have closed the #4 gripper so I think my routine works pretty well. I'm going to try to post my workout here that I post at the gripboard. Here is what I've done so far from my log at the gripboard.

6-11-05 #3-455 total reps =top set-43
    6-12-05 #3-287 total reps =top set-32

today
    6-13-05 #1-1400 total reps=top set-140

I'm also bending on these days and do some heavy negatives for fun at night.
    Starting a log mainly to try and keep myself going, so I wont slack off.

Ok here is the bending part of tonights workout. I was actually going to skip bending tonight tell I saw your post Greg.

UNDERHAND BENDING
    1 yellow=underhand
    1 grade 5 1/4x6inch=underhand
    1 grade 8 1/4x7inch=underhand
    1 7inch red PR=underhand

REVERSE GRIP BENDING
    1 yellow=rev grip
    1grade 5 1/4x6inch=rev grip
    1 7inch red PR=rev grip

Overhand Bending
    1 grade 5 1/4x6
    1 grade5 1/4x6 + 1 grade2 1/4x6 bent together
    1 6inch red
    1miss at 5inch red
    1miss again at a 5inch red Got each one to an L shape
    1 7inch red using Ironmind pads - Just testing them out since I just got a pair, it was easier than I thought. They are pretty painfull though.

6-16-05 #3-549 total reps =top set-64

I'm going to rest a little bit then do my bending a little later.
    My hand bled pretty good this workout. Hopefully it isn't locking up when I bend.

6-16-05 Bending

UNDERHAND BENDING
    4 grade 5s
    1 red Kink wasn't as good as last time

REVERSE GRIP BENDING
    exact same as underhand as above my kink last time was to an L about,
    this time it was only about half of that. The volume gripper work might be
    making it harder but I will get used to it.

Overhand Bending
    5 reds
    one red 6inch then just quit
    Bad bending workout for me. Didn't feel strong at all, maybe next time.

6-17-05 #2-1270 total reps =top set-90

6-18-05 TRAINER-2000 total (full range) complete open / close reps on the trainer.

My hand is definately dead now and ready for some good rest

6-24-05 #4 in choker=30reps- top set 2reps

A couple vids from my workout

A hydrawlic #3 close
    http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=hydrawlicgboard

A set of 2 reps with a #4 in a choker
    http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=2repschoker-close

6-25-05

Overhand Bending
    1 7inch Red

1 6inch Red

1 5.5inch Red

1 5inch Red PR

Rev grip and Under Hand 10 grade 5s each.

Grippers
    6-26-05 #2-1450 total reps =top set-120

Barbell wrist curls
    130=5reps
    170=2reps
    185=6reps
    205=1rep
    205=1rep
    230=1rep
    230=1rep
    180=15reps
    This was actually the very first time I have ever done barbell wrist curls. Hopefully I will move in weight pretty quick on them.

6-27-05 (#1)-1000 total (full range) complete open / close reps. I dont set these at all just position the gripper before the squeeze.

My hands are pretty torn up again.

Barbell wrist curls

125=6reps
    130=5reps
    155=6reps
    190=5reps
    210=2reps
    240=4reps
    260=1rep
    190=12reps

Felt pretty good

The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250) The Big Unit has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    You have got some seriously strong hands my friend. Especially since your hands look to be rather small.
    To save time and confusion, let's just assume that I know everything.

There is no bias on my behalf. Not that it matters, I can be biased if I want to since I am a genius and can argue two contradictory positions simultaneously.

Originally Posted by popeye_99
    UWBodybuilder, I'm having problems getting passed #2 for 3 reps. Any new ideas dude?

Do you have a 'grip buddy' i.e. a training partner for grip work?

And I've seen that you are deadlifting 265 for reps. That's getting good, how many reps can you do? I do 315lbs x 5 on deads, raw.
    for the deads, i did 6 reps, i am doing for 275 this week for 6 reps

as for grip right now i am doing a high volume training spurt, but as far as a workout for you i made lots of gains with the following

2 Days a week as far apart as possible so 3 days about, 45 minutes per day

Superset x 3 sets
    5 x no set closes #1
    #1 overcrushes (20 sec, 30 sec, 40 sec)

#3 negatives, as long as you can possibly go, just squeeze those things to death

#2 close as far as you can, then use your other hand or leg to close to touching and hold for 5 seconds

finish with #1 x 20 reps for cool down

and no i train by myself, sometimes with my little bro, 14 and closing the #1 for 3 reps
    Squeeze, REALLY HARD

Thumbs up

Ok thanks dude, I'll give that workout a go!!!!

Exclamation

Correction: the 60 lb. gripper is called the Guide. The 80 lb. gripper is called the Sport. Sorry if anyone got confused!

Unhappy Reality Sucks!

I finally got my captain of crush grippers today. I was so happy I tore the box open and ripped the grippers out of the package. I also got the bag of nails to bend to see where I'm at in this strength feat. Reality hit me hard and I now realize that my heavy grippers were not that heavy at all. My hands are not healed, but I had to give em a try. The #1 is equal to the hg 150 or hg 200, the hg 150 & 200 feel the same to me. The #2 I barely closed and is probably equal to the hg 250, maybe even harder. The #3 is harder than the hg 300 and I barely moved it. The thing that impressed me with these grippers is there feel & quality. The bag of nails was equally depressing to me, I didn't bother reading anything about bending them, just tore that open and wanted to see where I was. I did the white bar fairly easy, then the green bar was slightly harder. I was feeling good though 'cause they bent so easily. Then the yellow bar, but I couldn't bend it, only warp it a little. PatG made it look so easy, how could this be? I am not a strong as I thought I was. I'll keep at it a while and keep you posted if I make any progress.
    Goals:
    (1) 600 lb Deadlift
    (2) 600 lb Squat
    (3) 400 lb Bench

9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I finally got my captain of crush grippers today. I was so happy I tore the box open and ripped the grippers out of the package. I also got the bag of nails to bend to see where I'm at in this strength feat. Reality hit me hard and I now realize that my heavy grippers were not that heavy at all. My hands are not healed, but I had to give em a try. The #1 is equal to the hg 150 or hg 200, the hg 150 & 200 feel the same to me. The #2 I barely closed and is probably equal to the hg 250, maybe even harder. The #3 is harder than the hg 300 and I barely moved it. The thing that impressed me with these grippers is there feel & quality. The bag of nails was equally depressing to me, I didn't bother reading anything about bending them, just tore that open and wanted to see where I was. I did the white bar fairly easy, then the green bar was slightly harder. I was feeling good though 'cause they bent so easily. Then the yellow bar, but I couldn't bend it, only warp it a little. PatG made it look so easy, how could this be? I am not a strong as I thought I was. I'll keep at it a while and keep you posted if I make any progress.
    Come to the Strongman State Championships in Everett, MA later this month. It would be very cool to meet another MA grip enthusiast. The Diesel Crew will be there, I'm confident they can give you some excellent advice about bending and any other grip feats.
    Back from the grave.

FizZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

I'm now on the bandwagon! I got my trainers last week and at first I could barely close them. It was probably technique, but now I can close them for 12 reps each hand. I went ahead and ordered #1,2,3 - they'll bein Wednesday. Can't wait. I also got the KTA program, and i'll be starting in on that when they get here.

Originally Posted by FizZ
    I'm now on the bandwagon! I got my trainers last week and at first I could barely close them. It was probably technique, but now I can close them for 12 reps each hand. I went ahead and ordered #1,2,3 - they'll bein Wednesday. Can't wait. I also got the KTA program, and i'll be starting in on that when they get here.
    Welldone on your trainer! I could do only 10 reps when I first got mine. Within a few days I slammed #1.

KTA program - the e-book right? Has anyone on here used this yet and seen gains? I'm considering paying for it, what do you think!

9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) 9cyclops9 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Welldone on your trainer! I could do only 10 reps when I first got mine. Within a few days I slammed #1.

KTA program - the e-book right? Has anyone on here used this yet and seen gains? I'm considering paying for it, what do you think!
    A lot of the guys at the GripBoard use KTA and swear by it, that should be reason enough to get it! Unfortunately I can't use it on my computer (Mac). Hopefully they'll come out with a Mac version of KTA so we won't be left in the dark.
    Back from the grave.

many many people use KTA and love it, i personally am yet to try it but one day i will get there.

As far as eggie goes.......

First off bending requires a HELL of a lot of technique, my first week benidng i did the IM Blue, with no technique and then learned what i was doing and HUGE improvements! like INCREDIBLE so go learn all aobut bending FIRST... and dont' be such a depressive person saying stuff like i can't bend the yellow so i'm depressed is kind of childish(no offence) but you have to learn first. go to dieselcrew.com and look up greg amidon and dave mortons article on un-braced bending and clay edgins article on bending for your body. memorize those and try again.

For the grippers, yea Heavy Grips are much weaker than CoC. Congrats on closing the #2 that's a really impressive feat to have accomplished. I would have been amazing if you got the #3's even to parrelel as they are tough grippers. I have been training for the CoC's for 7 months very adimently and have only got the #3 to 3/8" it takes work, closing the #2 first go at it is HUGE so don't be deppressed about that either, again childish(sorry)
    Squeeze, REALLY HARD

FizZ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Well I haven't tried it yet. It covers all the basics on grippers and then goes into detail about a four week 'KTA' program that you're supposed to follow to the T. How about I let you know in a month?

Does this sort of training... or bending or ?? help with ripping phone books in half? I'd like to be able to do a small phone book. Anyone know?

The phone book is more skill than strength, look up the previous articles posted in the 1200 page phone book tear, there is a link there with instructions on how to tear a phone book, it took me a while to figure the directions out, but it worked, its not all skill though.
    Goals:
    (1) 600 lb Deadlift
    (2) 600 lb Squat
    (3) 400 lb Bench

Smile

Yeah!!!

Just got the #3 handles to parallel!

Maybe I've got an easy #3????

Thumbs up

Just got the #3 handles to parallel! Maybe I've got an easy #3????
    I dunno... send it to me and I'll tell ya! ha ha!

BTW, good job on the #3! Keep doing those negatives, those will really help ya!

I dunno... send it to me and I'll tell ya! ha ha!

BTW, good job on the #3! Keep doing those negatives, those will really help ya!
    Hey bro, if I sent it to you it means I'll have to give those negatives a break lol

anyway, are you working on the #4 now??? If so, how's it coming on?

eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500) eyeofthetiger is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I can close the #2 now for reps, a month or two ago i was just about 1 or 2 inches away from closing, it seems like those last few inches take the most time and work.

Thanks for the tips John, ill be putting in an order for a #3 soon, and maybe an ironmind wrist roller. They tickle my fancy

yea it's the last 1/4" of so of the close where all the difference is made on a gripper, so congrats on closing the #2 that's excelltn move on up to the #3
    Squeeze, REALLY HARD