Turbonod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Instant Oatmeal VS. Regular

Hello all,

I know this has been covered before but i cant remeber why regular oatmeal is supposed to be so much better. I have been eating instant for 2 years now, but lately ppl have been telling me to switch. Could someone please clear this up for me.

Thanks

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Turbonod
    Hello all,

I know this has been covered before but i cant remeber why regular oatmeal is supposed to be so much better. I have been eating instant for 2 years now, but lately ppl have been telling me to switch. Could someone please clear this up for me.

Thanks
    Bigger particle size (the actual oat), lower GI value (because of the size), more nutrient density (because of less processing, since it's not reduced in size). Among other things.

All good.

Plus, all the cool kids eat the original stuff.

Turbonod has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Cool thanks Zack... i havent been on this forum forever. I like the new look and format and the same great help.

Is it still cool to eat instant? Only cuz im always in a rush in the morning.

Thanks again.

zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) zackmurphy has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Turbonod
    Cool thanks Zack... i havent been on this forum forever. I like the new look and format and the same great help.

Is it still cool to eat instant? Only cuz im always in a rush in the morning.

Thanks again.
    You're welcome.

Should you eat it? Depends on your goals and needs, how "okay" it is at different times.

If you're just trying to gain a little mass, aren't trying to shed fat, and feel good overall, go for it, and be happy.

If you're trying to shed fat and gain mass, then it's cool for the morning when a higher GI can be helpful in jerking your metabolism back to life, but I wouldn't have it at other times of the day (except for right after a workout, possibly).

If fat loss is your #1 goal and mass is not an issue, I'd skip it. I'd do whatever I would to avoid insulin release and insulin spikes, and I'd do whatever I could to keep GI levels in my food low, minimally stimulating insulin release. At that point, you're better off taking the extra 30 seconds, making regular oats, adding some nonfat milk, and going with that.

And you know, all that aside, I make oatmeal, full oats, about 5x/week. NEVER takes me more than about 2 minutes. I put a measuring cup in the microwave with about a cup of water, go for 2 minutes, it's boiling, add to oatmeal, and add NF milk, and I'm done. I can't do oatmeal (any kind) any faster than that.