Thread: Frustrated

ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Frustrated

I am about to give up on personal training. I have a CSCS and BS in Kinesiology, and take my MMA training very seriously (hope to fight professionally soon). Fitness and martial arts are my life, and I've always taken a very scientific approach to training.

And that is what screws me over with clients. They don't like the fact that I take it so seriously. All I get are blank stares all day, and the clients never come back. And then the sales staff stops giving me new ones, because nobody likes the way I train.

That's why I currently work one night per week, and that's it! I need a new job. What else should I do?
    email: thaifighter83@yahoo.com
    nickname: ThaiFighter83

flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10) flexapeal is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey man personal training is not for everyone. You might do good in MMA. If your not happy in your career its time for a change. Maybe you could train just fighters to get them ready for a fight.

bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50) bigdaddy425 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ThaiFighter_83 View Post
    I am about to give up on personal training. I have a CSCS and BS in Kinesiology, and take my MMA training very seriously (hope to fight professionally soon). Fitness and martial arts are my life, and I've always taken a very scientific approach to training.

And that is what screws me over with clients. They don't like the fact that I take it so seriously. All I get are blank stares all day, and the clients never come back. And then the sales staff stops giving me new ones, because nobody likes the way I train.

That's why I currently work one night per week, and that's it! I need a new job. What else should I do?
    Let's think outside the box for a minute. You train for MMA. MMA fighters are some of the worlds best conditioned athletes. Maybe you're "barking up the wrong tree". Put an MMA spin into your training, maybe even offer a cardio MMA workout? Advertise for athletes, not just run of the mill gym rats. Maybe the corporate gym isn't for you.

I left training a major gym chain and opened up my own studio with barely any clients. I offer cardio boxing, kickboxing, cardio mma, my own version of caveman training called Primal Strength, as well as weight loss boot camps. I've transitioned away from one on one training and gone to small groups. More money with less work. Totally the best thing I ever did.

Train with YOUR strengths. Add some MMA flavor. You will become the new hottest trainer around!
    Chris Dwelle
    Licensed Massage Therapist
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Certified Sports Nutritionist

ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000) ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000) ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000) ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000) ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000) ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000) ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000) ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000) ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000) ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000) ExtremeEnigma is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by bigdaddy425 View Post
    Let's think outside the box for a minute. You train for MMA. MMA fighters are some of the worlds best conditioned athletes. Maybe you're "barking up the wrong tree". Put an MMA spin into your training, maybe even offer a cardio MMA workout? Advertise for athletes, not just run of the mill gym rats. Maybe the corporate gym isn't for you.

I left training a major gym chain and opened up my own studio with barely any clients. I offer cardio boxing, kickboxing, cardio mma, my own version of caveman training called Primal Strength, as well as weight loss boot camps. I've transitioned away from one on one training and gone to small groups. More money with less work. Totally the best thing I ever did.

Train with YOUR strengths. Add some MMA flavor. You will become the new hottest trainer around!
    This. With your BS, CSCS, and MMA training experience I would definitely try to market myself toward aspiring MMA athletes and try to train them instead of general fitness population. With the exploding popularity of UFC and MMA in general, you could have a huge market there, and also appeal to people who will appreciate legitimate training like yours.

carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500) carl.c is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    sounds like your pushing ypur clients to hard. The average person dosn't want a super intence routine. i think like the other you should target up and coming fighters and athletes. you will be happier workinh out like minded people.

ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) ThaiFighter_83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you guys are right. I am barking up the wrong tree. I've always worked better with guys than girls...and 95% of the people who buy training at health clubs are girls!!! No wonder I've never been successful. I must start putting ads on craigslist advertising MMA training and not personal training (or maybe both). And I really gotta push my coach to get me some professional fights (which I have been doing).
    email: thaifighter83@yahoo.com
    nickname: ThaiFighter83

Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000) Ronin4help is a name known to all. (+5000)

Maybe you should not be a trainer. That's not what personal training is about. You have to love to be with people and you have to love the human interaction. You are not a drill sergeant, you are a mentor and mentors find a way to get through to their students.

MMA123 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    id love to have you as a trainer

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Ronin4help View Post
    You are not a drill sergeant, you are a mentor and mentors find a way to get through to their students.
    What?!

Man, there goes my planned client approach.

"You! You worthless sack of crap! Drop and give me twenty! What do you mean who am I? I'm you're next trainer! Now give me those twenty and sign this on the way down!"

jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50) jando will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Maybe it's something else? I tend to get people who are more serious like brides to be with timetables, younger kids wanting to gain muscle, athletes and people who have seriously worked with trainers before. While not everyone I want to work with is as serious and and as passionate this tends to be my niche. Every now and then I get someone who is not to this level so I adjust accordingly and train them as hard as they'll allow me.

dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10) dshinton is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    A good trainer adapts their training style to the client. What feedback are you getting from your clients and are you willing to adapt your style?
    Professional Fitness Trainer
    MS, NASM, NFPT

FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by ExtremeEnigma View Post
    This. With your BS, CSCS, and MMA training experience I would definitely try to market myself toward aspiring MMA athletes and try to train them instead of general fitness population. With the exploding popularity of UFC and MMA in general, you could have a huge market there, and also appeal to people who will appreciate legitimate training like yours.
    Exactly. And the market's even bigger online - you wouldn't just be limited to the MMA guys in your immediate area. Someone with your kind of passion who walks the walk would transfer very well online. You'd be providing real value to thousands of readers who would appreciate your knowledge and skill - and would even pay for it, which isn't a bad thing.
    I like to make money while I work out - how about you?
    www.Super-Trainer.com

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)

Remember that personal training is like any other business out there. 4/5 of what you do has nothing to do with training other people to be fit. It's mostly about marketing yourself, making yourself loook appealing to potential clients and being a good businessman.

You've got to remember that as a personal trainer, your level of interest exceeds 99% of all other people out there. These people have hired you because they cannot do it on their own. You need to remember that. You'll probably have little in common with the people you train, as far as fitness goes. They haven't read the textbooks that you have, they haven't spent the years in the gym you have, etc etc. You've got to put things on their level. Cater to their needs, not your own. Give them information they can work with.

If a phone repair guy came to your house and started rambling on and on about new technologies and using terminology you didn't understand, you'd probably get him in and out as fast as you could and avoid him in the future. Well it's the same way when you're too hardcore with your clients.

Try to seek out clients that are up your alley. When I started training I geared towards those in my circles. Firefighters, paramedics, police officers, aspiring military and SWAT officers, MMA athletes, bodybuilders, etc. These are people who can relate to a lot of what I'm saying and I understand their needs. ExtremeEnigma's advice was solid, in that you should look to the MMA world. With your degree, CSCS and MMA experience you've got a lot of potential.

Do what a lot of businesses do, offer your services one time for free. Go to an MMA gym and run a class or session for free. The gym will likely welcome an instructor with credentials teaching for free. You'll probably have to earn some trust with the owner first, but that's easy if you're personable and know your stuff. Make yourself some business cards and give them out at the class. Leave a bunch of them at the front desk so people can take them. This free lesson could get you a fair amount of business.
    Last edited by smokeater; 07-09-2009 at 09:42 AM.

Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Environ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Perhaps the strongest lesson we were thought when I was studying was that you can't train a person a particular way because YOU like it. You are not training YOU; you are training them. If you want clients to come back to you, you have to get them doing things that THEY like.

I take training very seriously and I have a full schedule of clients. You can still make it fun while being serious about it.

I regularly do bag work with clients and am considering doing some sparring with some of them. However, I would never just assume that this is something that they want to do. I would ask them first.

Instead of giving up, try to overcome the difficulties that you are having.
    ***Irish Misc Crew***

Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes.

ISSA CFT, SPN, FT, SSC, SFN
    NSCA CSCS

FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) FitMoney has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Originally Posted by Environ View Post
    Perhaps the strongest lesson we were thought when I was studying was that you can't train a person a particular way because YOU like it. You are not training YOU; you are training them. If you want clients to come back to you, you have to get them doing things that THEY like.
    Yeah, this is one of the main parts of marketing that can you can apply right away - Constantly putting yourself in your CLIENTS shoes, figuring out what they want, and finding the best way to give it to them.
    I like to make money while I work out - how about you?
    www.Super-Trainer.com

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Environ View Post
    Next you'll be saying that when people go to restaurants they should get to eat the food they ordered, instead of just whatever the chef wanted to give them. Or when we go to clothes shops and ask for clothes in our size we should get them.

Madness! Where will it end?!

Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000) Simmo0508 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Sounds like a relationship building problem more than anything else. Just cos you're a serious person doesn't mean people won't train with you, granted they still like you and the service you're providing.

If you rub them off the wrong way though and in your heart you know you've done nothing wrong and just been yourself etc, then often it's just a normal personality clash. That's life. Move on to the next person.

If you want my advice, market to a certain group that often appreciate the more serious approach and don't care for the friendly babysitter crap. Male athletes and sports teams for example.
    advertising/self-promotion not permitted