Closed Thread
Page 65 of 336 FirstFirst ... 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 165 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 10051
    Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lost1700 View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^That was insane

Should I learn the C major scale in all positions before moving on to other scales?

While the Major scale is important I would start with all five pentatonic patterns... So Pentatonic, Major, Minor, Diminished, Augmented and whole tone. Whatever you playing; make sure it sounds like music and not some robotic repeating pattern. Slow is accurate, accurate is fast, clean and even tempo is a key.

http://www.theorylessons.com/pentpos.html

^

If you learn these patterns; then you can connect them using this method or something similar.

Semper Fi

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies...

dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000)
    K i've decided today that i want to learn how to play the guitar. My dad has an acoustic one that i could learn on and i would pick up an electric if i liked it enough.

Thing is, i dont want to take lessons, mainly because i just dont have the time or money right now.

Is there anyway to learn guitar by yourself? any links to sites that could act as interactive lessons or allow me to self teach ??

I would really appreciate any tips / advice

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    use the 'search this thread' button at the top, there are at least a dozen references already in this thread
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

Time Traveling Bunnies! V.H.9.8.4.'s Avatar
    V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by riprock View Post
    K i've decided today that i want to learn how to play the guitar. My dad has an acoustic one that i could learn on and i would pick up an electric if i liked it enough.

Thing is, i dont want to take lessons, mainly because i just dont have the time or money right now.

Is there anyway to learn guitar by yourself? any links to sites that could act as interactive lessons or allow me to self teach ??

Yea you can definitely learn on your own, cant remember off the top of my head but I know that a couple of famous guitarist are self taught.

I'd recommend picking up a chord book or going to http://www.chordguide.com/guitar/ to learn some chords, which is very important.

You can also go to http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/ and browse the lessons there. I used to do that a lot and I found they were pretty helpful. It has lessons teaching you the basics of guitar, technique, how to improve speed and accuracy, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm sure other people here know of some better stuff, but I think that's a pretty good start

The first page of this thread also has a lot of helpful stuff to get you started
    Impossible is Nothing

dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000) dash_riprock is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by V.H.9.8.4. View Post
    Yea you can definitely learn on your own, cant remember off the top of my head but I know that a couple of famous guitarist are self taught.

I'd recommend picking up a chord book or going to http://www.chordguide.com/guitar/ to learn some chords, which is very important.

You can also go to http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/ and browse the lessons there. I used to do that a lot and I found they were pretty helpful. It has lessons teaching you the basics of guitar, technique, how to improve speed and accuracy, and a bunch of other stuff. I'm sure other people here know of some better stuff, but I think that's a pretty good start

The first page of this thread also has a lot of helpful stuff to get you started
    Thanks alot. Much appreciated

lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by riprock View Post

www.justinguitar.com

mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hey ive been playing for about a month now.. considering lessons... i leave for college in like 5 months would 5 months of lessons be sufficient? also does anyone have a price estimate on how much it is for guitar lessons per month? or does it vary a lot depending on place/teacher... thanks doods.

lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) lost1700 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by mikeprogress09 View Post
    hey ive been playing for about a month now.. considering lessons... i leave for college in like 5 months would 5 months of lessons be sufficient? also does anyone have a price estimate on how much it is for guitar lessons per month? or does it vary a lot depending on place/teacher... thanks doods.
    from what I have looked at it varies from about $15-$30 per half hour private sessions and around $40-$50 per half hour for in-home sessions

mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mikeprogress09 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ^^^^^ alrite thanks dude. could more of you say how long u took lessons for? and what you payed for them? thanks again.

Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Mindripper has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by mikeprogress09 View Post
    ^^^^^ alrite thanks dude. could more of you say how long u took lessons for? and what you payed for them? thanks again.
    I took a few lessons from my friends to get started when I was a kid. We just jammed all the time. The more I jammed the better I got. If you play with people that push you musically than you can learn alot.

I didn't take serious lessons until I was 26... In three months I learned more about music than I had learned in all my years of playing. I took lessons from a Flamenco jazz dude @ a local guitar shop who had a Master's in music, easily the most talented person that I've been around. He opened my eyes and allowed me to push to do things I never thought I could do. It was quite expensive ($50 per 30 minute) but money well spent for sure.
    Semper Fi

R[̲̅ə̲̅٨̲̅٥̲̅٦̲̅]ution snwdevl10's Avatar
    snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by Mindripper View Post
    While the Major scale is important I would start with all five pentatonic patterns... So Pentatonic, Major, Minor, Diminished, Augmented and whole tone. Whatever you playing; make sure it sounds like music and not some robotic repeating pattern. Slow is accurate, accurate is fast, clean and even tempo is a key.

http://www.theorylessons.com/pentpos.html

^

If you learn these patterns; then you can connect them using this method or something similar.

Thanks for this. I may try to learn these pentatonic positions first as well and see if I can understand what is going on better. I still can't get my head around major scales at all right now no matter how much reading I do but this looks like I can maybe pick it up a little easier.

Depending on what root note I started on would determine which scale I was playing, and then I can connect the patterns by moving from shape to shape along the root notes and still be in the same scale, is that right?

G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    While on the topic of guitar lessons i just booked my first one .. what can i expect from a lesson .. also what should a good guitar teacher go through etc beginner here btw.

Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by scartissuex View Post
    Thanks for this. I may try to learn these pentatonic positions first as well and see if I can understand what is going on better. I still can't get my head around major scales at all right now no matter how much reading I do but this looks like I can maybe pick it up a little easier.
    I don't think it matters what you learn first, the pentatonic scales are usually going to be more practical because if you're playing rock you're gonna end up using them more, whereas the major scale is useful because it forms the basis of a massive amount of music theory.

It's best to start with the Chromatic Scale: A/A#/B/C/C#/D/D#/E/F/F#/G/G# (Or, identically: A/Bb/B/C/Db/D/Eb/E/F/Gb/G/Ab).

These are the 12 notes that appear on the guitar, or in Western music in general. The major scale is a diatonic scale (Diatonic = 7 tone scale, as opposed to Pentatonic = 5 tone scale).

Start with C Major: it takes every note from the Chromatic scale that isn't Sharped (Or flatted) and that leaves you with seven notes: A/B/C/D/E/F/G. As you can see, one of the irregularites of Western music is the distance between B/C and E/F - unlike other notes, the distance between these two sets is only a half step, as opposed to a whole step... it's just something you have to get used to.

If I get a C chromatic scale (C/C#/D/D#/E/F/F#/G/G#/A/A#/B) you can see that the C Major scale takes these notes: C/D/E/F/G/A/B. It's the DISTANCE between these notes (Or, the INTERVAL) that's really important: INTERVALS form the basis of chord construction, and the various sounding harmonies you get from music (IE happy/sad) (But I won't go into that here), and are useful in remembering other scale formations.....

So, the intervals of the C Major Scale would be Whole Step/Whole Step/Half Step/Whole Step/Whole Step/Whole Step/Half Step. Then we'd be back to C, but one octave (8 notes/12 frets) higher. The actual names for intervals are harder to learn, so just thinking in terms of whole step (2 frets) and half steps (1 fret) might be easier for now.

But for the sake of it, intervals are as follows:

0 frets = unison
    1 fret/1 half step = augmented unison/minor 2nd
    2 frets/2 half steps (1 whole step) = major 2nd
    3 frets/3 half steps = augmented 2nd/minor 3rd
    4 frets/4 half steps = major 3rd
    5 frets/5 half steps = perfect 4th
    6 frets/6 half steps = augmented 4th/diminished 5th
    7 frets/7 half steps = perfect 5th
    8 frets/8 half steps = augmented 5th/minor 6th
    9 frets/9 half steps = major 6th
    10 frets/10 half steps = augmented 6th/minor 7th
    11 frets/11 half steps = major 7th
    12 frets/12 half steps = octave

I might aswell mention that the Major Pentatonic interval pattern goes Whole Step/Whole Step/3 Half Steps/Whole Step/3 Half Steps (Major 2nd/Major 2nd/Minor 3rd/Major 2nd/Minor 3rd... if we were going by intervals between each pair of notes).

So, bearing in mind the 12 notes of the chromatic scale, lifting a C Major Pentatonic scale from here would give us: C/D/E/G/A ... and then the 3 half steps would take us back to the root note C. You probably know the root note is the note the scale starts on.

You can use those interval patterns to find any major scale on the guitar. That gets complicated though so it's better to stick to learning the above stuff for now.
    Last edited by LethalOnGuitarZ; 02-07-2009 at 01:41 AM.

Time Traveling Bunnies! V.H.9.8.4.'s Avatar
    V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) V.H.9.8.4. is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000) snwdevl10 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LethalOnGuitarZ View Post
    I don't think it matters what you learn first, the pentatonic scales are usually going to be more practical because if you're playing rock you're gonna end up using them more, whereas the major scale is useful because it forms the basis of a massive amount of music theory.

It's best to start with the Chromatic Scale: A/A#/B/C/C#/D/D#/E/F/F#/G/G# (Or, identically: A/Bb/B/C/Db/D/Eb/E/F/Gb/G/Ab).

These are the 12 notes that appear on the guitar, or in Western music in general. The major scale is a diatonic scale (Diatonic = 7 tone scale, as opposed to Pentatonic = 5 tone scale).

Start with C Major: it takes every note from the Chromatic scale that isn't Sharped (Or flatted) and that leaves you with seven notes: A/B/C/D/E/F/G. As you can see, one of the irregularites of Western music is the distance between B/C and E/F - unlike other notes, the distance between these two sets is only a half step, as opposed to a whole step... it's just something you have to get used to.

If I get a C chromatic scale (C/C#/D/D#/E/F/F#/G/G#/A/A#/B) you can see that the C Major scale takes these notes: C/D/E/F/G/A/B. It's the DISTANCE between these notes (Or, the INTERVAL) that's really important: INTERVALS form the basis of chord construction, and the various sounding harmonies you get from music (IE happy/sad) (But I won't go into that here), and are useful in remembering other scale formations.....

So, the intervals of the C Major Scale would be Whole Step/Whole Step/Half Step/Whole Step/Whole Step/Whole Step/Half Step. Then we'd be back to C, but one octave (8 notes/12 frets) higher. The actual names for intervals are harder to learn, so just thinking in terms of whole step (2 frets) and half steps (1 fret) might be easier for now.

0 frets = unison

I might aswell mention that the Major Pentatonic interval pattern goes Whole Step/Whole Step/3 Half Steps/Whole Step/3 Half Steps (Major 2nd/Major 2nd/Minor 3rd/Major 2nd/Minor 3rd... if we were going by intervals between each pair of notes).

So, bearing in mind the 12 notes of the chromatic scale, lifting a C Major Pentatonic scale from here would give us: C/D/E/G/A ... and then the 3 half steps would take us back to the root note C. You probably know the root note is the note the scale starts on.

You can use those interval patterns to find any major scale on the guitar. That gets complicated though so it's better to stick to learning the above stuff for now.
    This really helped a lot man, I appreciate it. I never knew where those "major 3rd, perfect 4th" terms were derived from so when I read about some chord and scale construction I had no idea what that meant. After seeing it put that way from the chromatic it makes much more sense and I am starting to put it together a little better I think. Thank you again I really do appreciate it.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by LethalOnGuitarZ View Post

0 frets = unison
    Uh, MY BRAIN HURTS, can I go now
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.

MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000) MA5Bergey is a name known to all. (+5000)
    just managed to play my first song from beginning to end... was a simple three chord song but it's a big step for me haha.

BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BobDaNob is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by MA5Bergey View Post
    just managed to play my first song from beginning to end... was a simple three chord song but it's a big step for me haha.
    Hey, playing that first complete song is an awesome feeling. It's been a while for me, but I still remember it.
    The assassins of freedom tend the burning of truth.

Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000)
    OMG guys.. just found this old ass recording of a song of mine and I reckon its pretty cool hahaha wow. Might have to upload for you guys \m/ \m/

Farkkkkkk megaupload isn't working can you guys think of somewhere else I can upload it to??
    Last edited by Master.D.; 02-12-2009 at 06:58 PM.
    -->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

is back from hiatus! ElSpaceBandito's Avatar
    ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000) ElSpaceBandito is a name known to all. (+5000)
    zshare?
    Next Oleksandr Kutcher In The Making!

maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) maynardjames is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Smile something interesting

Some of the regular contributors to this thread are unbelievably awesome.
    Some of them have posted their own vids like captainhorseboy,
    I was just wondering who else has done that and can you redo it. It just puts the f in fun for me.
    Thanks.

Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000) LethalOnGuitarZ is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by maynardjames View Post
    Some of the regular contributors to this thread are unbelievably awesome.
    Some of them have posted their own vids like captainhorseboy,
    I was just wondering who else has done that and can you redo it. It just puts the f in fun for me.
    Thanks.
    I'm gonna post a vid soon enough of me goin through leads of Layla and Sweet Home Alabama soon enough, hopefully they'll be note for note accurate. Just building the speed and accuracy up first.

Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000) Master.D. is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Aite.. I'll post up a little teaser for you guys.

My mate and I are recording a song that is pretty much gonna be a complete shred-fest lol, this is all we have so far as the opening riff which will pretty much lead into the rest of the song which will be fairly simple rhythm wise but (hopefully) nice and technically proficient.

If you like Racer X you will like this, we used their patch and it reeks of PG haha.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=FD7YND3D

EDIT: That's me playing
    -->>MMC<<--
    Aussie Supp Misc Family
    Bromance Crew

G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) G-Train86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Master.D.
    Aite.. I'll post up a little teaser for you guys.
    Not bad man look forward to hearing rest of it .. how long you been playing for?

..then I rocked the joint nail3r's Avatar
    nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Does anyone else use your thumb to fret the base notes on the low E-String Jimi Hendrix style? It's the bomb, it leaves your pinky free to add embellishments (sp?). Once I discovered it, I never went back.

SRV uses it too on things like Texas Flood etc.
    Sixteen year veteran of the misc, back after a 10-year hiatus.

Originally Posted by nail3r View Post
    Does anyone else use your thumb to fret the base notes on the low E-String Jimi Hendrix style? It's the bomb, it leaves your pinky free to add embellishments (sp?). Once I discovered it, I never went back.

I was trying to learn Little Wing using my thumb, I don't think my hands are big enough though , or maybe just not flexible enough.

It was cool the few times I was able to get it to work though.

..then I rocked the joint nail3r's Avatar
    nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000) nail3r is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by scartissuex View Post
    I was trying to learn Little Wing using my thumb, I don't think my hands are big enough though , or maybe just not flexible enough.

It was cool the few times I was able to get it to work though.
    Yeah your hands have to be quite big to make full use of it, but I would never go back to the old way now.
    Sixteen year veteran of the misc, back after a 10-year hiatus.

An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000) An hero is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nail3r View Post

Yep. It hurt my thumb a lot at first but I'm used to it now. Lots of guitarists from that time used that trick (I first learned of it while trying to play Pinball Wizard).

No, I found it too easy to get sloppy that way, it's fine for the bluesey stuff, but it will ruin your technical runs
    lift big 2 get big
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Originally Posted by ctgblue View Post
    No, I found it too easy to get sloppy that way, it's fine for the bluesey stuff, but it will ruin your technical runs
    I do it for blusey stuff on frets 1-3... But yeah Paul Gilbert doesn't use the thumb over very often.
    Last edited by Mindripper; 02-16-2009 at 10:49 AM. Reason: more better spelling :)
    Semper Fi

Closed Thread