Thread: Floppy Skin

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Floppy Skin

I'm an old man. I started lifting 3, going on 4, years ago. My goals were simple; to be able to get off of the floor or up from a couch without assistance. I didn't care about losinig weight, even though my BMI classified me as overweight, because I viewed a few extra pounds as "money in the bank" should I get sick.

So here I am, three years later, I haven't lost an ounce but, suddenly, I have floppy skin hanging from the waist. (Shirts are tighter, pants are looser so maybe I went through a minor body recomp?)

Anyway, maybe the floppy skin will shrink or, at my age, maybe not? Slightly disappointing but not a big deal as shirts are pretty much mandatory at my age. Still, is there any way to encourage the extra skin to shrink a little?
    Last edited by joewattie; 07-16-2024 at 10:27 AM.
    joe Henry

air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) air2fakie has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If you’ve lost fat in your midsection, it’s pretty common to have saggy, loose skin in that area. Most of the factors that contribute to the floppy situation are things you can’t change actively after the fact - the amount of fat lost, the pace at which it was lost, how long the fat was present prior to the fat loss, diet/nutrition/training during fat loss, passage of time after fat loss, age, genetics, etc.

Maybe see a dermatologist, who may recommend you to eat certain foods, stay hydrated, use certain lotions, etc. But often minor surgery is the most effective way to get rid of the loose skin if that’s the primary goal.

If it’s a byproduct of getting healthier, staying fit and living longer at your age, IMO you’re winning the bigger battle.

joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) joewattie is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by air2fakie View Post
    If you’ve lost fat in your midsection, it’s pretty common to have saggy, loose skin in that area. Most of the factors that contribute to the floppy situation are things you can’t change actively after the fact - the amount of fat lost, the pace at which it was lost, how long the fat was present prior to the fat loss, diet/nutrition/training during fat loss, passage of time after fat loss, age, genetics, etc.

Maybe see a dermatologist, who may recommend you to eat certain foods, stay hydrated, use certain lotions, etc. But often minor surgery is the most effective way to get rid of the loose skin if that’s the primary goal.

If it’s a byproduct of getting healthier, staying fit and living longer at your age, IMO you’re winning the bigger battle.
    Just wanted to thank you for your gracious reply. It was appreciated.
    joe Henry

Zealot from the housetops PaulJerome's Avatar
    PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Not sure what to make of your post but i'll point out that when you lose fat too fast, your skin doesn't have time to adjust and gets saggy. An example of this is people who take the drug Ozempic.

Weight loss needs to be gradual so that your skin can shrinkwrap along the way at the same time. I dropped 50lbs but took exactly two years.

Also, what is the age limit for not being able to take your shirt off? At 55, I'm likely in violation.
    6'5" 210 lbs, 10.9% body fat

Disagree with me, fine; but before calling me a fraudster click: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=185252663

Bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable unto all things.

Thank you for your reply.

Originally Posted by PaulJerome View Post
    Not sure what to make of your post but i'll point out that when you lose fat too fast, your skin doesn't have time to adjust and gets saggy. An example of this is people who take the drug Ozempic.
    Agreed. But I was a little surprised because it was like a three and a half year journey.

Weight loss needs to be gradual so that your skin can shrinkwrap along the way at the same time. I dropped 50lbs but took exactly two years.
    And I dropped zero pounds. It was during the first year I saw the most changes. Then nothing to speak of but that was fine, mission accomplished; I could stand without having to grab onto things, shirts got tighter, pants got looser.

Then, suddenly, "fat back" started disappearing, skin started hanging and still no weight loss. It was just strange.

Also, what is the age limit for not being able to take your shirt off? At 55, I'm likely in violation.
    <lol> At 55 it's probably just a misdemeanor :-) At my age (77) I'm looking at a felony.
    joe Henry

Zealot from the housetops PaulJerome's Avatar
    PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) PaulJerome has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joewattie View Post
    <lol> At 55 it's probably just a misdemeanor :-) At my age (77) I'm looking at a felony.
    I consider Sylvester Stallone to be the canary in the cole mine. He's 78 and still looks good.
    6'5" 210 lbs, 10.9% body fat

Disagree with me, fine; but before calling me a fraudster click: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=185252663

Bodily exercise profits a little, but godliness is profitable unto all things.

I consider Sylvester Stallone to be the canary in the coal mine. He's 78 and still looks good.
    OK, so maybe Sylvester is not looking at a felony :-) Arnold doesn't look bad for his age either. They're both an inspiration, but, as well as they've aged, they'd probably keep their shirts on if they went to the gym I go to ...

I have mixed emotions when they publish pics of aging celebrities. On one hand they are body shaming them. On the other hand I appreciate that even the rich and famous get old.
    joe Henry