lesssugar is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Advice on changing a split for dieting

I've been in a caloric deficit for a few months now. It's not an extreme deficit (I lose 0.5-0.7% of body fat a week).

Now, for all this time, I've been doing upper/lower split: 4 days a week, and I train hard.

As my workouts are intense, I've been facing a problem: fatigue is building up quite strongly, which is natural on a diet. Most of the week I'm exhausted and I rarely "heal" by the time the next session comes.

Because of this, I'm looking to change my split to a 3-day one: Back/Triceps, Chest/Biceps, Shoulders/Legs.

Of course, I'm trying to avoid losing too much muscle mass in the process, but I am in a caloric deficit and my primary goal is to lose weight. That's why:
    • I'm not trying to make gains, so I don't need to "kill" myself in the gym.
    • I'm not trying to make gains, so I don't need to optimize my training by working each muscle group every 48h.
    • I should work out moderately hard to make sure I'm not losing too much muscle, but not so hard that my fatigue lowers the quality of my day-to-day.

Hence, the 3-day split seems like a good choice:
    • Training a muscle group once per week gives me lots of time to rest.
    • Keeping moderate intensity and volume lets me stay toned and not lose too much muscle

(Side note 1: My diet is high-protein.)
    (Side note 2: I also considered simply lowering my volume/intensity, but 1 day less at the gym appeals to me stronger.)

What do you think about the split change I described and my arguments?

Thanks!

TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TAWS6 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    It’s fine. I personally would rather do a split that has more reason behind it like a 3 day push pull legs. Once you separate chest and shoulders it can create overlap issues and triceps never really get a break.

lesssugar is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by TAWS6 View Post
    It’s fine. I personally would rather do a split that has more reason behind it like a 3 day push pull legs. Once you separate chest and shoulders it can create overlap issues and triceps never really get a break.
    Good point. I'll have a look into a 3-day PPL, too. Thank you!

markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) markcwalker88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Keep the heavier lifting sets (3 x 6 etc) in and reduced the volume sets such as (3 x 10) to (2 x 10) so basically knock off a 3rd of the volume I believe has been mentioned a fair bit

Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000) Lymnenews5e2q is a complete loser! (-2000)
    I personally would rather do a split that has more reason behind it like a 3 day push pull legs. Once you separate chest and shoulders it can create overlap issues and triceps never really get a break.