Thread: Is this ok?

CoryJWil is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Is this ok?

I am new to lifting and was looking on the forums/online to find a full body workout program. I found this program and seen it was reccomended a few times.

The Dumbell Full Body Program[/size]

Workout A
    Split Squat 3x8 (each leg)
    Bench 3x8 (If you don’t have a bench do floor press)
    DB Rows 3x8 (One arm on bench, back parallel to floor)
    Reverse Flies 3x10
    Calf raises 2x15/French Press 2x10 Superset

Workout B
    Walking Lunge 3x8 (each leg)
    Overhead Press 3x8
    Romanian Deadlift or Straight Leg Deadlift 3x8 (Use single leg version when you max out your weight)
    Lat Pulldowns or Pull/Chin ups (Once you reach 3x8 begin adding weight)
    Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset (I don’t care what ab work you do)

For this routine you’ll increase weight as you’re able to, though it should be roughly 5lbs added to each DB every other week for upper body lifts and 5lbs added to each DB weekly for lower body lifts. Keep in mind that without adequate equipment this program can only take you so far. You’ll eventually have to join a gym or get proper home equipment (barbell, power rack, adjustable bench, Olympic weights) to continue seeing results.

[Click to return to top]

The only thing is that I felt like I wasnt doing enough plus I wanted to try some other exercises that I have been researching online too, so I modified it a little bit but kept all exercises except the reverse flies and the lunges (I have troubles with my big toes and always have toe pain when I do any kind of lunge). It is still the 3x8 and looks like this.

Workout A
    Bulgarian split squat
    Calf raises
    Pull ups
    Bicep curl to overhead press
    Farmers walk
    Dumbell pullover (starting out light)
    Ab work

Workout B
    Squats
    Deadlift
    Chin ups
    French press
    Dumbell rows
    Bench press
    Glute bridge (people say I have no butt so I wanted to give it a little extra attention)

I lift every other day switching between A and B. The other days I do cardio.

I know that some areas are targeted more than once but i have seen that be the case in many other programs so I figure it is not such a big deal. Are these acceptable changes or does it need to be tweaked some more? Am I doing enough to build some muscle? Should I add back the reverse flies? I appreciate any feedback.

WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) WolfRose7 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is there a reason you can't use barbells?
    5 day full body crew

FMH Crew, Sandbagging Mike Tuscherer Wannabee

12 pack > 6 pack PurmaBulker1984's Avatar
    PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PurmaBulker1984 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Why are you limiting your overhead press to a weight you can curl.
    Current max
    325 bb bench
    295 incl bb bench
    275 push press.

Married w/ 2 kids crew

n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250) n64bomb has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Stick with an actual novice program. You modified the program so much that it lost its integrity. Your program is way too much volume and specificity for your level. If you aren't fine with that novice routine looking at other ones. The vikings routine has a lot more volume. That might be better for you. Or an upper/lower novice like fierce 5.
    Ignore List

GregStren90
    health4life24
    LukeEverhart
    jeremybra

I probably could use barbells but never have. Plus I dont have any and wanted to start from home to build confidence.

I dont feel like I am limiting my overhead press with my curls. I actually feel like it is the opposite. I feel like my shoulders have always been weaker than my biceps. When I do the workout I always fail on the overhead press part but could keep curling.

GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CoryJWil View Post
    I probably could use barbells but never have. Plus I dont have any and wanted to start from home to build confidence.
    I was like this, lasted one week at home with a cheap set of dumbells before I very quickly realised if I want to make any real progress I need to hit the gym.

My village has 3 gyms, one of which has all the equipment I need and is always quiet. I also quickly realised everyone that goes to the gym are really nice people, they don't bother you, judge you or put you down or sit and stare at you etc. Just go and do your thing and you'll quickly find confidence when the gains start coming in.

First though you need to pick a properly laid out beginner program. The fierce 5 full body is recommended a lot. I went with Vikings though as I preferred 4 days over 3 and the U/L split has more volume but still touted as beginner friendly and it's in the hypertrophy range. I've been doing it for 3 weeks now and adding weight to all my lifts every week.

Also you will need to check out the nutrition forums stickies, get your nutrition in check otherwise you're mostly wasting your time. Basically use a TDEE calculator, figure out your TDEE and add 2-300 cals on that to lean bulk or eat at your TDEE to recomp (slow but works for beginners for fat loss and muscle gain) or eat 500-1000 less to cut if you are starting with a high body fat %. I started cutting and as a beginner not only am I getting bigger and my lifts are increasing but I'm losing fat too.

Good luck anyway with whatever you choose to do.

This viking one people are talking about, is it the The Viking's The Bare Bones Series from TheViking1992 here on the forum? (Sorry not enough posts to link url yet)

GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10) GK47 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by CoryJWil View Post
    This viking one people are talking about, is it the The Viking's The Bare Bones Series from TheViking1992 here on the forum? (Sorry not enough posts to link url yet)
    Yes, this one: https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showt...hp?t=172565211

The 4 day U/L split has a fair bit more sets but I started it as a beginner and it's working well for me.

obrick is not very well liked. (-100) obrick is not very well liked. (-100) obrick is not very well liked. (-100) obrick is not very well liked. (-100) obrick is not very well liked. (-100) obrick is not very well liked. (-100) obrick is not very well liked. (-100) obrick is not very well liked. (-100) obrick is not very well liked. (-100) obrick is not very well liked. (-100) obrick is not very well liked. (-100)
    I think everything is okay, what helps you to grow and doesn't hurt you.

Thanks for the input everyone!!!!! I think I am going to try the Vikings workout routine and see how I like it.