kangadrew007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Home gym dumbbell sizes

Wanted to get feedback from people who have fixed dumbbell sets in their home gym. What sizes do you currently have? What sizes would you get if you were to do it over again?

Background info - I'm currently 132 pounds and have maxes of a 405 deadlift, 315 squat, 185 bench, and 135 overhead press (all tested except OHP which is calculated).
    My target weight is around 145 pounds. I train strongman - so I don't do a ton of dumbbell work. But I need them for:
    -flat/incline bench (sets of 8-12)
    -rows (sets of 8-15 and high-rep strapless sets of 20-50)
    -tricep overhead extensions (sets of 10)
    -rear delt flyes (sets of 15)
    -curls (sets of 12-25)
    -shoulder press (sets of 8-12)

Those with sets of fixed dumbbells in their home gym - what would your recommendation be, and why?
    Thanks
    Drew

kangadrew007 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I did have another thought and that is to skip dumbbells altogether.

I do bench half and half between a bar and dumbbells - same with rows. It would be easy enough to transition to solely doing them with a barbell.
    Delt flyes happen maybe once or twice a month, I do a lot more face pulls. I've been doing them banded recently to get used to it in my home gym, so they're also easy to nix.
    Same with shoulder presses - I do them 1-2 times a month with dumbbells, rest is with a barbell.

That leaves bis and tris. It's a lot cheaper to get an EZ bar, do curls and skullcrushers, and use my existing plates than buying and storing a full dumbbell set...

dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by kangadrew007
    That leaves bis and tris. It's a lot cheaper to get an EZ bar, do curls and skullcrushers, and use my existing plates than buying and storing a full dumbbell set...
    I would get some 90lb powerblocks and do the heavy work with barbells. Itll be cheaper than getting a dumbbell set but more expensive than a good curl bar. In Ottawa, ON, Canada, they seem to go for 600 CAD used but Ive bought 3 or 4 pairs for 300-450. Theyll solve your space issue and allow quick changes for drop sets

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Don't bother with anything under 20lbs anyway, especially if you are going to have a rack. Heaps of guys have racks and they don't even use a lot of them because they are the girl dumbbells.

dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dagdafitness has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post
    don't even use a lot of them because they are the girl dumbbells.
    Yeah anything under 60lbs Id say

Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Domicron has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Originally Posted by kangadrew007 View Post
    I did have another thought and that is to skip dumbbells altogether.

I do bench half and half between a bar and dumbbells - same with rows. It would be easy enough to transition to solely doing them with a barbell.
    Delt flyes happen maybe once or twice a month, I do a lot more face pulls. I've been doing them banded recently to get used to it in my home gym, so they're also easy to nix.
    Same with shoulder presses - I do them 1-2 times a month with dumbbells, rest is with a barbell.

I have powerblocks (u-90) up to 90 pounds and for what i've needed they're fine. you might look at the weight increments they offer and decide if that wouldn't be weird to you. otherwise the non-traditional shape takes 1 workout to get used to, if that. For heavier, i think the common advice here is to go Ironmaster for the better shape and more regular weight increments.

The other things to consider are a landmine setup for some of your pushing movements and maybe also with rows.

A more expensive option would be a functional trainer, which would give you a ton of exercises, but might also be limited in terms of resistance offered.
    Domicron's Basement Gym and Fun House
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=652376&p=1451901723&viewfull=1#post1451901723

▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #60

ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ampire is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by kangadrew007 View Post
    Wanted to get feedback from people who have fixed dumbbell sets in their home gym. What sizes do you currently have? What sizes would you get if you were to do it over again?

Background info - I'm currently 132 pounds and have maxes of a 405 deadlift, 315 squat, 185 bench, and 135 overhead press (all tested except OHP which is calculated).
    My target weight is around 145 pounds. I train strongman - so I don't do a ton of dumbbell work. But I need them for:
    -flat/incline bench (sets of 8-12)
    -rows (sets of 8-15 and high-rep strapless sets of 20-50)
    -tricep overhead extensions (sets of 10)
    -rear delt flyes (sets of 15)
    -curls (sets of 12-25)
    -shoulder press (sets of 8-12)

Those with sets of fixed dumbbells in their home gym - what would your recommendation be, and why?
    Thanks
    Drew
    At your strength and body size, if I was to pick 4 pairs of dumbbells, I'd expect you to use 25s (arm and shoulder accessory), 50s (shoulder press), 75s (flat/incline bench), and 90s (rows, shrugs, farmer's walk), but it really depends on your form and whether you want to have progression in intensity (weight lifted) as well as volume (number of reps). These numbers are +/- 10 lbs, its hard to really make a recommendation because people's strength with dumbbells can widely vary, particularly on heavy dumbbells. If you are only buying a few dumbbells, it's better to just buy adjustable setup so you aren't stuck between fixed dumbbells. Its just not very practical to buy only a few pairs instead of buying adjustable or a full set.
    Last edited by ampire; 07-13-2019 at 02:12 PM.