MarkSuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Weighted vest for squats (don't judge)

So quick background: I'm in grad school and I work late (8am-12am), most gyms aren't open late enough for me. After a 5 month break and losing a lot of healthy weight, I'm trying to get back in the gym and get my diet back on track.

I have been going to a local gym. The local 24hour gym here just got rid of the squat rack and all barbells because some jabroni took all the plates off of one side, barbell flipped and hit him etc etc it's a liability now. I'm kind of pissed about it and I don't even want to pay to go there now. I already have a pull up bar and adjustable dumbells in my apartment and the complex has a (very) small gym. But that doesn't fix my squat problem.

So I was thinking about getting a weighted vest. Someone is offering me a 50-200lb adjustable vest for $80 and I have two dumbells that I can add a combined 100lbs...

Given the circumstances, is this a bad plan?

TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    It’s A plan. Why not join another gym?

MarkSuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MarkSuave has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I can't really find one that is open after 10pm that also has a bench/squat rack. Every place around here is afraid someone will get hurt and sue. Working out between the ours of 9a-10pm are just not an option for me right now because of my grad program.

TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) TheUnderdog83 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by MarkSuave View Post
    I can't really find one that is open after 10pm that also has a bench/squat rack. Every place around here is afraid someone will get hurt and sue. Working out between the ours of 9a-10pm are just not an option for me right now because of my grad program.
    Not trying to be harsh, but it’s hard to believe your grad program occupies 13 hours per day 7 days per week. If you don’t want to join another gym it’s up to you. Your plan is better than doing nothing, but it is not as good as doing squats with a barbell and a rack.

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I have one, they're pretty uncomfortable and affect your ability to breathe. You'd probably be disappointed with it.
    You're probably better off buying more plates for your adjustable dumbbells and doing Bulgarian Split Squats etc.

Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post
    I have one, they're pretty uncomfortable and affect your ability to breathe. You'd probably be disappointed with it.
    You're probably better off buying more plates for your adjustable dumbbells and doing Bulgarian Split Squats etc.
    Yea that's kind of what I was worried about with having all of that weight wrapped over my shoulders. The Bulgarian squats are actually a really good idea, I hadn't even considered it. I guess the offer on the vest just made me tune out more reasonable stuff.

Originally Posted by TheUnderdog83 View Post
    Not trying to be harsh, but it’s hard to believe your grad program occupies 13 hours per day 7 days per week. If you don’t want to join another gym it’s up to you. Your plan is better than doing nothing, but it is not as good as doing squats with a barbell and a rack.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ It's even harder to do

BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) BenMcLeodNZ is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Yea that's kind of what I was worried about with having all of that weight wrapped over my shoulders. The Bulgarian squats are actually a really good idea, I hadn't even considered it. I guess the offer on the vest just made me tune out more reasonable stuff.
    Not even the shoulders, they press down on the whole ribcage and stop it's expansion. It's still do-able but it does limit you more than you are probably thinking, for me it drops motivation too.

Also my vest is well designed and only 40lbs and I'm pretty strong and I still have some difficulty, so I imagine 200lbs is pretty bad.

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A weighted vest isn't all that bad if thats all you have.
    You might consider unilateral work like lunges or bulgarian split squats.

keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) keyboardworkout has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    What's the heaviest dumbbells they have?

A goblet squat with 1/2 your bodyweight is challenging for reps.
    ▪█─────█▪ Equipment Crew #53 ▪█─────█▪
    ^^^^^^^ 6' 6" and Over Crew ^^^^^^^
    ------------- No Vax Crew ----------------

3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 3basic5me has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by BenMcLeodNZ View Post
    Chiet. I was thinking of buying a 40lb one for pullups

fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    So quick background: I'm in grad school and I work late (8am-12am), most gyms aren't open late enough for me. After a 5 month break and losing a lot of healthy weight, I'm trying to get back in the gym and get my diet back on track.

I have been going to a local gym. The local 24hour gym here just got rid of the squat rack and all barbells because some jabroni took all the plates off of one side, barbell flipped and hit him etc etc it's a liability now. I'm kind of pissed about it and I don't even want to pay to go there now. I already have a pull up bar and adjustable dumbells in my apartment and the complex has a (very) small gym. But that doesn't fix my squat problem.

So I was thinking about getting a weighted vest. Someone is offering me a 50-200lb adjustable vest for $80 and I have two dumbells that I can add a combined 100lbs...

Given the circumstances, is this a bad plan?
    Did you consider calisthenics? There are many variations of squats you can do that will strengthen the legs; if size is the goal then weights is a necessity. But for calisthenics you can start with assisted one-legged-squats and trust me it's not easy.
    Crossfit = A LOT of doctor visits.

fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500) fingerguy is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by 3basic5me View Post
    A dipping belt would be more universal and allow you to put more weight on it. Hell if you were pulling outside you could attach a cement block to it. Just saying of course.
    Crossfit = A LOT of doctor visits.

dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50) dmatsinger will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I have a MIR weighted vest up which I like and use weekly, but for pullups I would recommend grabbing a dip belt, it will be cheaper and more comfortable. With the MIR weighted vest I find it more uncomfortable for things where I lift arms above my head as it digs in a little and restricts range.

They're perhaps not as bad as I was saying, but a dipping belt is certainly better. I made one myself and love it. It is a 4 foot (by 2 inch) nylon lifting strap (for forklifts etc), 2 carabiners and a solid chain.