jangdahye is on a distinguished road. (+10)

I want to be fit, but I can't go to the gym

I'm a 17 year old girl, 5'9 (175cm) and 112lbs (50 kg), but I look very skinny fat.

I want to tone my body, but I have no idea where to start.

I can't go to the gym because 1. I'm a socially anxious mess (not only am I afraid of working out in such a public space, but there aren't many gyms in the town and I'm bound to run into people I know; I also have no one to work out with) and 2. I don't really have the time (I live one hour away from the town and school literally takes up all of my time). I also don't think my parents will give me permission.

Is there anything I can do at home? I'll make an effort and buy the necessary equipment (but not big machines, I can't afford them).

Also, any tips for, uh, not dying afterwards? Because last week I jumped the rope for almost 5 minutes straight and I pulled a muscle.

And what about the diet?

RnK52 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    All of the reason you listed above are not really a reasons why you cant go to the gym.

RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000) RapidFail is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Reading the 'sticky' threads in the Workout Programs and Nutrition forums is a good place to start. Keep in mind that your own view of your body is likely quite different from the reality. While BMI isn't a great measure, particularly for a growing teen, yours (16.4) puts you in the underweight category, so it's unlikely you are remotely fat in any way whatsoever, or that anyone else sees you as being skinny fat.

'Toning' is a very loose term that is overused, by women especially, because they don't like to talk about building muscle. Generally speaking, a more toned looking body is a body with more muscle and less fat. Don't focus on the less fat because there's no way at your weight you have more fat that you should - not enough is more likely.

I'd recommend getting a couple of heavy adjustable dumbbells (at least up to 50lb per dumbbell) and a bench (doesn't need to be a fancy one) and trying a beginner program. You'll need to eat more as well, and make sure you are getting enough protein and fat. Weigh yourself at least once per week and don't freak out when you look/feel bloated and gain weight when you start - just remember its a slow process and give it time. Good luck!
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=181179323&p=1658333353#post1658333353

Height: 185cm (6'1")
    Weight: 79.3kg (175lb)

Personal best lifts
    Bench - 6 x 65kg (143lb), 8 x 62.5kg (138lb)
    Bent Over Row - 10 x 70kg (154lb)
    Front squat - 5 x 67.5kg (149lb)
    Back squat - 1 x 95kg (209lb), 8 x 77.5kg (171lb)
    RDL - 9 x 87.5kg (193lb)
    Deadlift - 6 x 107.5kg (237lb)
    Overhead Press - 6 x 40kg (88lb)
    Chin Ups - 7 x bodyweight + 12.5kg (27.5lb), 14 x b.weight

health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) health4life24 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by RnK52 View Post
    All of the reason you listed above are not really a reasons why you cant go to the gym.
    This

I don’t want to sound harsh, but you’re making excuses.

If you have social anxiety then you need to deal with that issue. Seek the help of your parents or a counselor. Asking for help is nothing to be ashamed of. If you don’t deal with it now, it’s gonna have an impact in your adult life. It doesn’t usually just disappear, you have to face these issues.

As for not having time, make the time. You are only 17, I am sure you can find some time in your day. I have a busy schedule but wake up at 3 am to get my session in, 6 days a week.

Also, I can’t see why your parents wouldn’t let you go to the gym when you are almost 18 and legally an adult.

I mean this in a nice way. There is no reason to be afraid to go to the gym. You need to seek help if your anxiety is that bad that you avoid public places. You are young, deal with it now before it gets worse.
    Last edited by health4life24; 02-09-2019 at 04:50 AM.
    - Your mindset influences your outcome. It's time to take out phrases like "I can't" or "I don't have time" and replace them with phrases like "I will make the time" and "I will keep working at it until I find a way that works." Success starts with the right mindset and believing in yourself and your dreams.

Apollo7500 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you must work out at home, the majority of your exercises would have to be bodyweight-based other than any purchases that you're able to make. This involves things like sit-ups, push-ups, power movements (like squats), etc. I honestly dont see this as a problem being that it may be a good idea to start with bodyweight exercises anyway until you are able to build a bit of muscle and motor/stabilization skill. While not being "able" to go to the gym might be a bad thing.. I'm sure you could find a program somewhere on this forum or elsewhere that involves bodyweight compound exercises done at home. I dont see it making much of a difference in the very beginning unless you are planning to isolate muscle groups (like I said this probably isnt the case). That being said, you should definitly think about joining a gym if you're serious about improving your health in the long term.

On another note, I would be very surpised if you were actually "fat". More likely you just lack the muscle development that would show definition. While the term "gaining weight" is usually depicted negatively without context, it is not a bad thing in your case and is what I believe your goal is. Read up about maintaining calorie surplus and muscle building and I think you'll be well on your way.

Good luck to you

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Buy yourself a kettlebell (20 or 25 pounds is fine). CHeck youtube for someone like Dan John or Pavel Tsatsouline to show you correct form.

Swing away for a few weeks, you'll see results!

solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10) solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10) solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10) solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10) solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10) solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10) solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10) solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10) solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10) solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10) solphilos is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Google DIY gym equipment. If your motivated to get in shape you can easily do so at home with some minimal equipment. Hell, if all I could do is beat a tire with a sledgehammer I'd do it.

rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rajendra82 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by jangdahye View Post
    I'm a 17 year old girl, 5'9 (175cm) and 112lbs (50 kg), but I look very skinny fat.

I want to tone my body, but I have no idea where to start.

I can't go to the gym because 1. I'm a socially anxious mess (not only am I afraid of working out in such a public space, but there aren't many gyms in the town and I'm bound to run into people I know; I also have no one to work out with) and 2. I don't really have the time (I live one hour away from the town and school literally takes up all of my time). I also don't think my parents will give me permission.

Is there anything I can do at home? I'll make an effort and buy the necessary equipment (but not big machines, I can't afford them).

Also, any tips for, uh, not dying afterwards? Because last week I jumped the rope for almost 5 minutes straight and I pulled a muscle.

And what about the diet?
    Depends on what your budget is and how much room you have. The bang for your buck will be getting a squat rack with safeties or a power rack, and an Olympic barbell (45 lb is Standard, but you might prefer a 35 lb women's bar), a flat bench, and a set of weights. At your body weight, you won't need more than 200 lb of weight to start with. I would recommend a set of 2x45, 2x25, 4x10, 2x5, and 2x2.5 lb, which gives you ability to go up in linear 5 lb increments. You might also want to get 2x1.25 lb plates if you want to improve that ability to go up in 2.5 lb increments, which might be necessary on some lifts. Most of this can be typically had for a good price used on Craigslist or ******** Marketplace if you look hard enough. The quality won't be as good as the best equipment you can buy, but it would be sufficient until you surpass the load limits for the bar. Then start doing a good full body novice linear progression program like Starting Strength, Stronglifts, or Greyskull. With barbell training it is easy to overload systematically and measurably, so fining that your lifts are a personal record is very motivating.

That being said, barbell training isn't the only way to do this. Resistance bands, and body weight training with minimal equipment (like a gold's gym trainer you can hang in the door frame) are also viable in the beginning. I just think you eventually reach a plateau with them and need to switch to something more systematic.
    Last edited by rajendra82; 02-09-2019 at 04:07 PM.