earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Personal Training Counselor for LA Fitness

Hey folks,

Just spoke to a guy from LA Fitness about the possibilities of being hired as a Personal Training Counselor. Does anyone have any experience, or can share their stories and average hourly pay?

Thanks!

James R

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by earthwormjames View Post
    Hey folks,

Just spoke to a guy from LA Fitness about the possibilities of being hired as a Personal Training Counselor. Does anyone have any experience, or can share their stories and average hourly pay?

Thanks!

James R
    Yes unfortunately.

Your day will be spent walking around trying to talk to people(most have earbuds in) and get them to come back to your little desk. It is here you will try to convince them to sign up for personal training. You will make minimum wage until you make a sale. Then it is a very small commission. There is no real training(either job training or personal training). The other guy working with me told me it took him 6 weeks to make his first sale. I quit the next day.

Its not even like I quit because I was bad at it. I was literally bored out of my mind. Longest 8 hours ever(oh by the way they are split shifts so get ready to practically waste your whole day). The culture also goes against my personal principles. It is all bottom line thinking and you don't matter unless you contribute to that bottom line. Good luck but I would definitely advise against working there. Find a private gym. They usually supply clients and just need you to train or teach group fitness.

bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bphelpz is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Ramsden is right. I work at life time fitness and it's the same ****.
    *** Los Angeles Misc Crew ***

***Previously MN Misc Crew***
    Instagram: aquabrah
    **Followback Crew**
    ++ Positive Crew ++

earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) earthwormjames has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by RamsdenF View Post
    Yes unfortunately.

Your day will be spent walking around trying to talk to people(most have earbuds in) and get them to come back to your little desk. It is here you will try to convince them to sign up for personal training. You will make minimum wage until you make a sale. Then it is a very small commission. There is no real training(either job training or personal training). The other guy working with me told me it took him 6 weeks to make his first sale. I quit the next day.

Its not even like I quit because I was bad at it. I was literally bored out of my mind. Longest 8 hours ever(oh by the way they are split shifts so get ready to practically waste your whole day). The culture also goes against my personal principles. It is all bottom line thinking and you don't matter unless you contribute to that bottom line. Good luck but I would definitely advise against working there. Find a private gym. They usually supply clients and just need you to train or teach group fitness.
    Thanks for this. So the potential to make good money is having to stick with it I'm guessing? The guy showed me how they have people booked onto Free Fitness assessments and they are the people try and sell to, right?

RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000) RamsdenF is just really nice. (+1000)
    Thanks for this. So the potential to make good money is having to stick with it I'm guessing?
    I suppose so. There really ISNT ANY potential to make good money. They do all that "talk" to try to get new people into these positions because of the high turnover. If you happen to get lucky.....talk to the right people at the right times....and convince them to sign up. Perhaps LA Fitness promotes you within 6 months or whatever.
    The guy showed me how they have people booked onto Free Fitness assessments and they are the people try and sell to, right?
    Exactly. You spend 30 minutes with the client then bring them back and try to sell them on training. Two problems....

1)Training is super expensive at LA Fitness. $50/session and sessions are 30 minutes. The trainers here aren't high quality either because at most they make $12/hr. The good trainers would never settle for this.

2)Potential clients don't even know what the free assessment entails. They just think its free and say "why not". Then when you go to sell them they say things like "ummm that's really expensive. Im not interested in training. I just wanted to join the gym". Then you get in trouble if you let them walk away without "logically defeating all their objections".

Its a complete waste of time. You are essentially "fishing for clients" in a sea of non-hungry fish. Why would you limit yourself to this? LA Fitness should do a better job of pre-screening for personal training when people sign up. Could help the counselors job.

94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) 94beastmode is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    Worked for la fitness as a PTC. If you are good at selling you will move up fast. You can probably be move to a director role in less then 1 year. Get ready for no life. Shifts are from 9-1 and 4-8, weekends 9-4. Also if you don't hit 10k consistently as a PTC you will be fired. When I worked at la fitness I literally saw like 10 PTC come and go. All of them got fired or quit. I'm So glad I don't work at la fitness anymore the company has **** values.

Rasdmen you are wrong, their is potential to make money if you are good at selling. I saw my boss pay stub and he made 9 k in 1 month.

Originally Posted by 94beastmode View Post
    Rasdmen you are wrong, their is potential to make money if you are good at selling. I saw my boss pay stub and he made 9 k in 1 month.
    I would argue it has nothing to really even do with selling. Much more with finding the people who are willing to blow money on a bad service.

And there are 10 LA Fitness locations in my metropolitan area. With as high as the turnover is you do realize that means only 10 become a director? Not impossible sure....and yes directors make good money....but is this the kind of environment you really want to bank your financial freedom on? Not me...

Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10) Endevorforever is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here, this link will give you an idea about how it typically goes. http://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/LA-...E309696_P2.htm
    It is hard to make it at a chain gym in an average neighborhood unless you really like sales. Of course, most people who really like sales go into selling things like cars and pharmaceuticals for the greater return. You can make money OP, but would you be rather doing something else for your efforts? If so don't waste your time.
    NASM (CPT)
    ISSA (CFT)

fitnessEcon is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Abandon all hope.

Hey folks,

Thanks!

James R
    This was my first real job in the fitness industry and it sucked. First off I was tricked into the job because they said it was a “hybrid position” meaning you could sell and train clients. There is no such thing! So if a company has to lie to you so you’ll take the job, look at this as a bad sign.
    Now if you look at the commission they offer, it is decent. However, if a member decides to end training, they will take your commission out of your next pay. I knew counselors who had to sell like crazy just to get out of the red.
    The turnover rate is really high for a reason. Just look at the reviews on indeed and glass door.