MikeKu825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeKu825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MikeKu825 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Nsca cpt study tips

I don't know if anyone out there is in the same boat I was in.. but I just couldn't find any solid answers on what kind of material to study for this exam. I understand that we should all know everything, but when it comes to taking a test like this, a little FREE direction can be very helpful. I refused to pay hundreds of dollars on prep classes and practice exams. I just bought the text and studied it for a month like my life depended on it. I just finished the exam an hour ago and I'm very happy to say I scored a 120/140 (87%). **well.. I'm kinda happy.. I'm a perfectionist so anything less than 140/140 is disappointing.** Regardless, what I want to do is give all of you an idea of the kind of questions to expect for each of the 4 sections outlined in the NSCA handbook.

I'm not going to give specific questions because that would be a breach of my agreement with the NSCA , but I'm going to try my best to help everyone out and save you all a little money.

This information pertains to the computer based exam:

Exercise Technique was the first section for me. There were about 35 questions right off the bat that showed a short video of someone performing an exercise that you have to observe. The question pops up before the video, so make sure you read it first and look at the 4 answers before you start the video. You will only be allowed to watch the video ONCE, so you want to know what to look for. For example, if you read a question like "As a trainer, what recommendation would you make to the woman performing this exercise?", and the answer choices are A) Move her feet further apart. B) Change her grip. C) Place her weight on the forefoot. D) Continue as demonstrated.; then you should already have an idea of what kind of exercise is about to take place in the video. This gives you a second to gather your thoughts and recall common mistakes for Squats or Leg presses. When you click to start the video, start running down the answers in your head as you watch. In this case, her feet are too close and are causing her knees to come out of proper position. The answer then, is A. As long as you've been in the gym and have a good idea of proper form, it will be easy to spot problems in the videos.

The other exercise technique questions were in a format where there was a paragraph describing a clinical situation. There are about 5 or 6 of these situations on the test that comprise about 20-25 questions. Example:

48 year old man who regularly participates in physical activity; Father died of M.I. at 52 years old; Mother is Diabetic (II), 70 years old; Sister is healthy, 38 years old.

Stopped smoking 8 months ago
    BP 128/80
    Cholesterol unknown
    BMI 19%
    Waist 34 inches

He is an avid participant in running and cycling events and is generally healthy, but he has experienced lower back pain in the past and poor flexibility in lower extremities. He has also experienced a torn meniscus in his right knee which was surgically repaired when he was 37 years old. He would like to lose a few pounds and improve his 5K time.

Be ready to answer questions on this information concerning diet, workout routine, recommended exercises, training frequency.. stuff like that. You won't really have to do any hardcore calculations. But maybe they'll ask something like. If he wanted to run back to back 5K events and he was worried about restoring his energy level in between, what should he eat. Carbs/ Sugar (Bagel and Jelly), Protein (Chicken), Fats (1 Pint of Olive oil), .. something like that. I think you get it. I personally drink Olive Oil in between every major event.. showering.. waking up.. laying in bed looking at the ceiling.. Olive oil. Yum.

Oh.. and something I found interesting.. there were questions on exercises that were not in the textbook. Go figure.. Usually you can just reason it out. Just stay calm and look at the answers.. you'll be able to narrow it down. I got 44/45 questions on that part so it obviously isn't too bad.

DON'T get bogged down in memorizing tables and formulas like I did. I spent almost two weeks trying to get all those VO2 Max tables and RDI Vitamin things under control. What a waste of time.. Know your KORVONEN/ APMHR. There wasn't even a BMI calculation or CO, or SV.. none of that. I don't even think there was more than 2 questions on the first three chapters in the whole test.

The one thing they did ask about was Planes of movement. Like if I was an athlete who was left handed and wanted to improve my swing for next softball season, what kind of plyometric medicine ball throws should I do with each hand? Should my left hand throw to the right or left? should my right hand throw to the right or left?

Also, on plyometrics, there were a few questions on jumping and form. Example.. if a woman is performing repeated jumps, what advice would you give her. Or if you wanted to make box jumps harder without changing the box.. what could you do? ..add weight.. don't swing your arms..(put them on your head).. so on and so on..

Chapter 7 had quite a few questions. Things like: This snack bar has 290 kcal, 10g of fat, 36g of carbohydrate, 14g of protein... blah blah. I have no idea if the data I just wrote works out.. but what you'll have to do is figure out what percent of the snack bar's total kcal's is from fat or carbs or protein. Something like that.

or, if I play soccer and am changing position from forward to defense.. what kinds of exercises would I do to supplement my ability to play my new position..

Know your 1RM "Heavy/ Moderate/ Light" calculations: Example: Guy1 has 1RM Bench Press of 315lbs. Goal Repetition max is 4 reps on a heavy day. Sooooo.. 315 X .90 = 283.5 (280) *note* - (.90 is what you multiply 1RM by in order to find the appropriate 4 repetition weight. Also, round down to the nearest 5 when you end up with a weight calculation as a weird number like 283.5.) So 280lbs for 4 reps is our "Heavy Day Goal" Use that to find your medium and light day calculations. 90% of 280lbs is the medium calc and 80% of 280lbs is the light day calc.

Know and understand CAD Risk factors. (F.I.S.H. S.H.O.P.) Family, Impaired Glucose, Smoking, Hypertension, Sedentary, Hypercholesterolemia, Obesity, and (+1) Positive HDL >60mg/dl

Know what to do if someone falls or gets injured, or if they start complaining about chest pain and start sweating a lot while on a treadmill. Basically, know when to just stop exercise and when to call the EMS.

Also, know when the trainer is liable, when a waiver saves you, and when the client has no case against you after an injury. You might want to go outside the text on that a little.. the questions are kind of theoretical, but they expect you to be able to apply your VAST knowledge of legal loopholes and liability expertise to answer the questions without reference.

Well.. it's not much and I planned on writing more, but honestly I'm tired and I have work to do. If anyone has questions go ahead and post. I'll try to get back to you.

There's no reason people should have to pay hundreds of dollars to prepare for this test, everything is so expensive these days. I'll do my best to help you guys. Like-minded health professionals should not be discouraged from being involved in the field. Some of us will be high end trainers with endless knowledge, and some of us will pass the test and forget what a gym is.. but natural selection will weed out the weak from the strong. I just don't see the point in so many of us getting hosed on testing fees when most of us just want to provide a service this country desperately needs.

Hooah.

Registered User JoeCannonMSCSCS's Avatar
    JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50) JoeCannonMSCSCS will become famous soon enough. (+50)

HI Mike
    I have taken and passed both NSCA ***** and I used their text book and the pack of practice tests. thats all I used. take a practice test before you start studying and grade it and then in the areas you are weak focus on those chapters in the nsca text book. Do read ALL of the book since the real test will be different than the practice tests
    I dont know what your starting point is with this - novice etc - but I usually dont recommend that people buy all of the other stuff that the nsca tries to sell you when you register.
    Also make sure you have your CPR/AED current before you take the test. they will be checking CPR/AED cards at the door on the day you take your test.
    I hope this helps Mike!

Joe
    Joe Cannon, MS
    Joe-Cannon.com
    SupplementClarity.com

choff2190 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hey Mike,

Can you post any more information or helpful tips about the exam that you can remember? I plan to take the test in November and am super nervous about it. I am assuming you would be a great person to talk to about it because you did so well!!

Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100) Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100) Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100) Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100) Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100) Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100) Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100) Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100) Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100) Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100) Ruddigore is not very well liked. (-100)
    Great post and congratulations on becoming NSCA certified.

CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Mike-

Just sent you a PM and am really hoping you are still on this forum, as I am taking the CPT exam in 18 days!!!! Hope to hear from you

Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Smile Hands on component?

Hi! I've been studying for months now, and I'm getting ready to schedule my exam but have no idea how to go about the "hands on component" and "skills evaluation". I've had a hard time finding any information about these online! Can anyone give me a little info?? Thanks

CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) CassBH has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sarahe215 View Post
    Hi! I've been studying for months now, and I'm getting ready to schedule my exam but have no idea how to go about the "hands on component" and "skills evaluation". I've had a hard time finding any information about these online! Can anyone give me a little info?? Thanks
    Are you talking about the NSCA-CPT exam? If so, I am confused by your question. If you can be more specific, I can try to help you. I took the test about a month ago, the computer version, not the pen and paper.

Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Sarahe215 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Red face

Originally Posted by CassBH View Post
    Are you talking about the NSCA-CPT exam? If so, I am confused by your question. If you can be more specific, I can try to help you. I took the test about a month ago, the computer version, not the pen and paper.
    Yes! Sorry if that was confusing. I am going to be taking the NSCA-CPT exam. On the NSCA website, under the "Prerequisits" section, it states the following:
    "Must have a hands-on training component (certification through a course completed entirely online will not be accepted)
    Must include a skills performance evaluation"

I just realized that this statement refers to the required CPR/AED cert. Wow....I'm an idiot! Thanks anyway!

Originally Posted by Sarahe215 View Post
    Yes! Sorry if that was confusing. I am going to be taking the NSCA-CPT exam. On the NSCA website, under the "Prerequisits" section, it states the following:
    "Must have a hands-on training component (certification through a course completed entirely online will not be accepted)
    Must include a skills performance evaluation"

I just realized that this statement refers to the required CPR/AED cert. Wow....I'm an idiot! Thanks anyway!
    Ok, that makes more sense. Yes, they want you to do an in-person CPR course, not something online.

Good luck with the exam. It's a tough one, for sure, but worth being able to say you are NSCA certified!

Peanut Butter Enthusiast slbross's Avatar
    slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50) slbross will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Glad I found this. Thanks.

KRJM has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by MikeKu825 View Post
    I don't know if anyone out there is in the same boat I was in.. but I just couldn't find any solid answers on what kind of material to study for this exam. I understand that we should all know everything, but when it comes to taking a test like this, a little FREE direction can be very helpful. I refused to pay hundreds of dollars on prep classes and practice exams. I just bought the text and studied it for a month like my life depended on it. I just finished the exam an hour ago and I'm very happy to say I scored a 120/140 (87%). **well.. I'm kinda happy.. I'm a perfectionist so anything less than 140/140 is disappointing.** Regardless, what I want to do is give all of you an idea of the kind of questions to expect for each of the 4 sections outlined in the NSCA handbook.

I'm not going to give specific questions because that would be a breach of my agreement with the NSCA , but I'm going to try my best to help everyone out and save you all a little money.

This information pertains to the computer based exam:

Exercise Technique was the first section for me. There were about 35 questions right off the bat that showed a short video of someone performing an exercise that you have to observe. The question pops up before the video, so make sure you read it first and look at the 4 answers before you start the video. You will only be allowed to watch the video ONCE, so you want to know what to look for. For example, if you read a question like "As a trainer, what recommendation would you make to the woman performing this exercise?", and the answer choices are A) Move her feet further apart. B) Change her grip. C) Place her weight on the forefoot. D) Continue as demonstrated.; then you should already have an idea of what kind of exercise is about to take place in the video. This gives you a second to gather your thoughts and recall common mistakes for Squats or Leg presses. When you click to start the video, start running down the answers in your head as you watch. In this case, her feet are too close and are causing her knees to come out of proper position. The answer then, is A. As long as you've been in the gym and have a good idea of proper form, it will be easy to spot problems in the videos.

The other exercise technique questions were in a format where there was a paragraph describing a clinical situation. There are about 5 or 6 of these situations on the test that comprise about 20-25 questions. Example:

48 year old man who regularly participates in physical activity; Father died of M.I. at 52 years old; Mother is Diabetic (II), 70 years old; Sister is healthy, 38 years old.

Stopped smoking 8 months ago
    BP 128/80
    Cholesterol unknown
    BMI 19%
    Waist 34 inches

He is an avid participant in running and cycling events and is generally healthy, but he has experienced lower back pain in the past and poor flexibility in lower extremities. He has also experienced a torn meniscus in his right knee which was surgically repaired when he was 37 years old. He would like to lose a few pounds and improve his 5K time.

Be ready to answer questions on this information concerning diet, workout routine, recommended exercises, training frequency.. stuff like that. You won't really have to do any hardcore calculations. But maybe they'll ask something like. If he wanted to run back to back 5K events and he was worried about restoring his energy level in between, what should he eat. Carbs/ Sugar (Bagel and Jelly), Protein (Chicken), Fats (1 Pint of Olive oil), .. something like that. I think you get it. I personally drink Olive Oil in between every major event.. showering.. waking up.. laying in bed looking at the ceiling.. Olive oil. Yum.

Oh.. and something I found interesting.. there were questions on exercises that were not in the textbook. Go figure.. Usually you can just reason it out. Just stay calm and look at the answers.. you'll be able to narrow it down. I got 44/45 questions on that part so it obviously isn't too bad.

DON'T get bogged down in memorizing tables and formulas like I did. I spent almost two weeks trying to get all those VO2 Max tables and RDI Vitamin things under control. What a waste of time.. Know your KORVONEN/ APMHR. There wasn't even a BMI calculation or CO, or SV.. none of that. I don't even think there was more than 2 questions on the first three chapters in the whole test.

The one thing they did ask about was Planes of movement. Like if I was an athlete who was left handed and wanted to improve my swing for next softball season, what kind of plyometric medicine ball throws should I do with each hand? Should my left hand throw to the right or left? should my right hand throw to the right or left?

Also, on plyometrics, there were a few questions on jumping and form. Example.. if a woman is performing repeated jumps, what advice would you give her. Or if you wanted to make box jumps harder without changing the box.. what could you do? ..add weight.. don't swing your arms..(put them on your head).. so on and so on..

Chapter 7 had quite a few questions. Things like: This snack bar has 290 kcal, 10g of fat, 36g of carbohydrate, 14g of protein... blah blah. I have no idea if the data I just wrote works out.. but what you'll have to do is figure out what percent of the snack bar's total kcal's is from fat or carbs or protein. Something like that.

or, if I play soccer and am changing position from forward to defense.. what kinds of exercises would I do to supplement my ability to play my new position..

Know your 1RM "Heavy/ Moderate/ Light" calculations: Example: Guy1 has 1RM Bench Press of 315lbs. Goal Repetition max is 4 reps on a heavy day. Sooooo.. 315 X .90 = 283.5 (280) *note* - (.90 is what you multiply 1RM by in order to find the appropriate 4 repetition weight. Also, round down to the nearest 5 when you end up with a weight calculation as a weird number like 283.5.) So 280lbs for 4 reps is our "Heavy Day Goal" Use that to find your medium and light day calculations. 90% of 280lbs is the medium calc and 80% of 280lbs is the light day calc.

Know and understand CAD Risk factors. (F.I.S.H. S.H.O.P.) Family, Impaired Glucose, Smoking, Hypertension, Sedentary, Hypercholesterolemia, Obesity, and (+1) Positive HDL >60mg/dl

Know what to do if someone falls or gets injured, or if they start complaining about chest pain and start sweating a lot while on a treadmill. Basically, know when to just stop exercise and when to call the EMS.

Also, know when the trainer is liable, when a waiver saves you, and when the client has no case against you after an injury. You might want to go outside the text on that a little.. the questions are kind of theoretical, but they expect you to be able to apply your VAST knowledge of legal loopholes and liability expertise to answer the questions without reference.

Well.. it's not much and I planned on writing more, but honestly I'm tired and I have work to do. If anyone has questions go ahead and post. I'll try to get back to you.

There's no reason people should have to pay hundreds of dollars to prepare for this test, everything is so expensive these days. I'll do my best to help you guys. Like-minded health professionals should not be discouraged from being involved in the field. Some of us will be high end trainers with endless knowledge, and some of us will pass the test and forget what a gym is.. but natural selection will weed out the weak from the strong. I just don't see the point in so many of us getting hosed on testing fees when most of us just want to provide a service this country desperately needs.

Hooah.
    MikeKU825 - I really appreciate this post of yours. I've training very high-end clients for over 10 years now. I have a strong martial arts & fitness background and have trained other trainers, doctors, physio guys and people like that know alot more than me but they've always been so "text book smart" and when they're working out and I'm having them do certain little things that I know work, they're always amazed at how I know these things. For me, it's no mystery that it's come out of need to get results and it comes from paying attention. The flip side is that as soon as something that I do works, these people that are more educated can explain all the reasons why. In practical terms, what I know is & always has been, to me anyway, the bread and butter because knowing something in a book can be tough to apply to the public, especially because they arrive at your door in all different shapes, personalities and problems BUT understanding movement and basic physiology concepts that we all learn if we've trained ourselves can take us a very long way in helping others.

As one of my very successful neurophysiologist clients tells me, I'm in the trenches doing the dirty work while him and his colleagues are reading and writing the books. He loves coming in and getting real world experience.

BUT now the problem for me is that I'm running into more and more opportunities that I don't believe I'm able to take full advantage of because of lack of basic fundamentals. So my reason for choosing NSCA is because of their reputation and in speaking with several of my clients, they all seem to agree that everyone else's material and tests is based on NSCA. Most importantly, that the material is applicable to what I need to know. Luckily, this same aspect that is so important to me also seems to be the criteria that has lead to making them very respected by others in the industry. In short, NSCA seems to be the "real deal" and for that alone, I'm very excited to get both the education and the cert.

So now, with so much time and build up leading up to taking this test, something I clearly have insecurities with, I'm really stressing that I wont understand the context of the questions or that certain things will mean something different to me. I'm also wondering how much memorization of the muscular, skeleton, nervous and other systems is required. Again, I know this is partly my own insecurity because memorization is intimidating for me, while I don't forget what I've learned by hands on.

Anyway, I welcome any additional feedback you or anyone else may have based on what I've posted buy my main point for registering here and posting this reply is to thank you for your time in posting as it aids me quite a bit.

Moolio21 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Nsca-cpt

Hey KRJM.....how did you do on your cert?

timmiay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

What should I memorize

I see that there are a lot of numbers in the textbook. Should i memorize things like 20.93% of oxygen in the air, tolerance for change in PH 6.9,7.5, 6.63, 7.1? Should I memorize those specific numbers or should I just read through it and remember concepts?

TzuLLy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by timmiay View Post
    I see that there are a lot of numbers in the textbook. Should i memorize things like 20.93% of oxygen in the air, tolerance for change in PH 6.9,7.5, 6.63, 7.1? Should I memorize those specific numbers or should I just read through it and remember concepts?
    Pm me and I will help you.

Gimptrainer16 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Suggestions for free study resources

I am taking the exam in a few weeks and I am not good at taking exams but do you have any suggestions or resources for studying the nutrition calculations and ARMAP calculations? I have the book and techinque manual but Is there any other resources that helped you that you suggest? I have been studying for a few months but Any tips would be greatly appeciated.

Thank you!

Registered User NataliZollinger's Avatar
    NataliZollinger is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Hey there, I have a questions for you? How long did you give yourself to study the material? From the day you opened up the book until you took the exam? Curious how long it takes to get through the material. Also, I'm not awesome with tests either, how did that test go for you?