Registered User NoGainNoPainBro's Avatar
    NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Shoulder pain - switching to High Bar?

Hi guys,

I'm still a beginner but definetely want to compete in the future. I'm very comfortable with the low bar squat, however it causes severe shoulder pain on both sides. I guess it's tendonitis. I'm doing physiotherapie right now (the guy is a powerlifter, which helps a lot) and we're trying to get my form pain free. However, he already mentioned that maybe I should consider switching to high bar instead in case we can not fix it, since I had shoulder issues for a long time even before lifting.

How much will this influence my performance in future competitions? I am really strong in the hips, and high bar squats feel very awekward to me. I just end up leaning forwards again, trying to use hip drive. I don't think I know any powerlifter that does high bar squats in competition.

blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) blindsideflank has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Is it maybe bicep tendonitis? Can you grip the bar wider on low bar?

https://www.powerliftingtowin.com/bi...ow-bar-squats/
    Tobacco prostitute
    "Grow up Harriet"

NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10) NoGainNoPainBro is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by blindsideflank View Post
    Is it maybe bicep tendonitis? Can you grip the bar wider on low bar?

https://www.powerliftingtowin.com/bi...ow-bar-squats/
    Thanks for the great article! I'll try the things out that Izzy recommended and also talk with my therapist about it.

Grip width is a little bit difficult, because 2 things are causing the pain: The shoulder itself (for example from a narrower grip or from lifting the elbows up), and loss of tension in the back which causes the bar to roll down (which happens with a wider grip, or if I don't keep up the elbows). So it's really hard to find the spot in between where both problems are avoided.

Any thoughts on squatting high bar as a powerlifter?

ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ytc1000 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by NoGainNoPainBro View Post
    Any thoughts on squatting high bar as a powerlifter?
    Nothing wrong with squatting high bar. Most people squat low bar as you can generally squat more weight. However, plenty of high level lifters squat high bar: John Haack (world champ), Bryce Lewis (world champ), Kevin Oak (crazy high total), etc.

I have some bicep tendonitis issues so I squat both ways to give it some rest.

You should also try figure out why you are having pain, as it could also affect your bench and other movements.

lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000) lazyaj is a name known to all. (+5000)
    A lot of people who compete in pl will do a lot of their training squats high bar (or SSB etc) to save their shoulders, then switch to low bar ~8 weeks out from a meet. That's about enough time to get the low bar skill back, but not be too beaten up. Low bar is not for everyone, and it's a myth that everyone is stronger at it! You should do what will work best for you long-term.
    If you like to deadlift, we'll get along great!

Workout journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=165955841

Originally Posted by ytc1000 View Post
    plenty of high level lifters squat high bar: John Haack (world champ), Bryce Lewis (world champ), Kevin Oak (crazy high total), etc.
    Thank you! Did a little research on those guys because I wanted to find out why they decided to squat high bar. Kevin Oak actually switched back to high bar squats he got tendonitis from low bar and it was messing with both his squat and bench press. Good to see there are successful lifters using that style. I think I'm so focused on moving the most weight that I am ignoring the warning signs my body sends me.

Originally Posted by lazyaj View Post
    You should do what will work best for you long-term.
    I guess that is really the way to go. I will continue physical therapie, also to identify the root of the shoulder pain. But if I really can't get it right I will switch to high bar. Lately I could not increase my squats anymore, because the pain forced me to switch back and forth between low and high bar, which destroyed all consistency in my training. SSB is also an option, some members and I were thinking about buying one for the club.