gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Pain top of tibia below knee (tibial tiberosity) of right leg

Hey guys,
    After a brief break on holiday i started my usual routine 2 weeks ago and after every squat session im getting some pain on that slightly bumpy bit at the top of the tibia straight under my right knee (i believe its called the tibial tuberosity?). I also feel as tho my left leg (the one without the pain) is slightly sorer after my squat sessions (even tho i actively try to balance my weight) and i feel as tho my left leg is just activated more (even when i just tense each leg). I can tolerate the pain when squatting but i dont know if im causing any damage. Even when i squat bodyweight as soon as i hit maybe 10-15 degrees above parallel i start feeling pain there. I believe it may be due to a tight quad so ive continued to foam roll my whole body after each session and spending a bit more time on it. I will be seeing a doctor tonight and just wanted to listen to any other opinions on here. Currently on fierce 5 novice.

1. Should i continue to do squats? If so should i drop the weight even if my form is ok at my current weight? If not, what exercise can i use as a replacement? (leg press, box squat, etc.) Ive heard that isometric knee extension holds may help.

2. Are deadlifts ok? i still feel some pain there during deadlifts but not nearly as much at all and i believe its just lingering pain from the squat session.

3. Do you think this is osgood schlatters? Im 18 and 63-64kg so i think im a bit old for it but its popping up everywhere when i google my pain lmao. Gonna go see a doctor or physio sometime this week as it hasnt gone away.

Thoughts?
    Started Feb 2017. Starting fierce 5 in January 2018. Current bw at 63.5kg/139lbs

Lifts (x5) start of december
    -Squat: 100kg/220lbs
    -Bench: 60kg/132lbs
    -Deadlift: 120kg/265lbs

Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Yeah, it sounds like Osgood-Schlatter's disease...I have it myself. Personally, I have no issues with squatting, but excessive jumping/landing movements (cleans, snatches etc.) cause irritation and tendinitis to the patellar tendon just above the tibial tuberosity. For me, knee extensions and decline slant squats work wonders, as well as resting.

I noticed mine when I was 10-11, and the bone is still there obviously, but no pain from touching it anymore. The bone has been there since you were young, as it forms during your formative years.

gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10) gainoot is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Gwybodaeth View Post
    Yeah, it sounds like Osgood-Schlatter's disease...I have it myself. Personally, I have no issues with squatting, but excessive jumping/landing movements (cleans, snatches etc.) cause irritation and tendinitis to the patellar tendon just above the tibial tuberosity. For me, knee extensions and decline slant squats work wonders, as well as resting.

I noticed mine when I was 10-11, and the bone is still there obviously, but no pain from touching it anymore. The bone has been there since you were young, as it forms during your formative years.
    Cheers for your reply bro
    Yeah all the symptoms appear to match but dont wanna diagnose myself so ill wait for the doctor. What do you mean by decline slant squats?? do u mean squatting with a raised heel (putting a plate under your heel)?

Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Gwybodaeth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    No worries

http://cdn.fix-knee-pain.com/blog/wp...board-copy.jpg

Try these, they helped me a bit with my patellar soreness. I do them + knee extensions every workout. You can also try foam rolling the quad/ITB and stretch your hams.

No worries

http://cdn.fix-knee-pain.com/blog/wp...board-copy.jpg

Try these, they helped me a bit with my patellar soreness. I do them + knee extensions every workout. You can also try foam rolling the quad/ITB and stretch your hams.
    ahh right gotcha. and yep foam rolling tf out of my legs does help ease the pain a bit.

anyone else with advice/answers to my original questions?

UPDATE confirmed i do have mild osgood schlatters. any advice is appreicated ))

I had it pretty severe and have a visible tuberosity below both knees. It would've formed years ago, so all the growing pains associated with it should be gone, only thing you gotta worry about now is irritation of the tendon or the fat pad underneath the tendon.

If it's soreness after exercise, it's probably an overuse issue, so just ease back on whatever activities are causing it, ice, NSAIDs when it is bad, the usual. If you're following a new program, it might take time for your knees to adjust. For me, mine would get sore the next day whenever I did any exercise with knee extension or jumping.

If it's soreness during exercise, I am not sure. My issues have always been after the fact, but I would watch your posture to make sure your knees are tracking correctly. Try seeing a physio, he'll give you a sports massage for blood flow, probably foam roll your ITB/quads and teach you how to stretch effectively.

It's not a debilitating condition and you can't really do anything to make it worse, short of tendon degeneration if you're abusing your workout schedule.

I had it pretty severe and have a visible tuberosity below both knees. It would've formed years ago, so all the growing pains associated with it should be gone, only thing you gotta worry about now is irritation of the tendon or the fat pad underneath the tendon.

If it's soreness after exercise, it's probably an overuse issue, so just ease back on whatever activities are causing it, ice, NSAIDs when it is bad, the usual. If you're following a new program, it might take time for your knees to adjust. For me, mine would get sore the next day whenever I did any exercise with knee extension or jumping.

If it's soreness during exercise, I am not sure. My issues have always been after the fact, but I would watch your posture to make sure your knees are tracking correctly. Try seeing a physio, he'll give you a sports massage for blood flow, probably foam roll your ITB/quads and teach you how to stretch effectively.

It's not a debilitating condition and you can't really do anything to make it worse, short of tendon degeneration if you're abusing your workout schedule.
    cheers for the advice, repped