canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Early risers – lifting on an empty stomach?

So… I know working out with an empty stomach is typically associated with cardio (because of the myth of burning more fats doing so, which I’m not sure if true though not the point of this thread).

When it comes to lifting instead, does it matter or would it be detrimental to do so first thing in the morning before any food intake? The one thing I’ve read on regarding this has to do with the catabolic/anabolic states, like being in an anabolic state when working out.

Presently I have no problem waking up early in the morning to gym at 6:30am with an empty stomach however I’m only just beginning on this fitness journey. I’m not sure if this would limit my potential gains or affect my strength. And no, I don’t feel hungry when working out, and usually that feeling comes only after, as I am returning home to have a good breakfast/post-workout oatmeal. I do however have a protein shake and a banana immediately after workout since my oatmeal breakfast comes an hour after workout when I reach home.

Now I am wondering I should have the banana and protein shake whilst on my way to the gym instead (a good hour beforehand) as a form of pre-workout instead. And if so, do I have another scoop of protein shake immediately after as post-workout or is it not necessary since I had it not too long before?

Or should I instead have just the banana as a carb pre-workout and stick to the 1 scoop of protein after as post-workout? Seems like a silly question to ask but I am genuinely curious to hear your thoughts.
    23 | 5'6"/167cm| 136lbs/62kg | Skinny Fat | Beginner/started Dec 2017

Seeking advice with lifting/nutrition
    https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=175108461&p=1536588081

Registered User ErikTheElectric's Avatar
    ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) ErikTheElectric has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You've created multiple threads recently OP which can be easily answered by simply using the search function (and or researching the stickies located at the top of the subforum).

canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10) canachives is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by ErikTheElectric View Post
    You've created multiple threads recently OP which can be easily answered by simply using the search function (and or researching the stickies located at the top of the subforum).
    Literally 2 threads, both different from each other.

Would appreciate if you could link to a particular/existing thread you feel appropriate to my post. There's far too many threads out there with numerous pages, and yes I did check out the sticky prior, 'Pre, During, & Postworkout Nutrition' and 'Nutrition for Newbies' to be specific, and did a quick search too which landed mostly towards IF/fasted workout; did not want to comment on them to bump several years old thread hence created one. The main answer I see with regards to this is basically a 'if you feel ok with it then go for it'.

The other thread on sardines I can't find any other topic discussing omega 3 similarly. Search results provides primarily o3 v o6 ratio comparison posts.

Redgistered User dwightaroundya's Avatar
    dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) dwightaroundya is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    As long as you’re lifting heavy, how can it be detrimental? Just make sure you get your protein in afterwards.

https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/arti...1550-2783-10-5
    Hi.

Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) Heisman2 has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    If you can perform similar with each option then I would have the protein before when you wake up. However, it is more important to do whatever allows you to perform best.

bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) bayrider is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Some eat before and some eat after the workout. I do both. It's a personal preference. The key is the diet should allow you to perform your best in the gym. You are making eating to complicated.

Originally Posted by bayrider View Post
    Some eat before and some eat after the workout. I do both. It's a personal preference. The key is the diet should allow you to perform your best in the gym. You are making eating to complicated.
    You're right, I'm probably thinking too much into this. Since there's no direct 'NO' to working out on an empty stomach I suppose I will test the various options I have for myself and see which fits best for me personally and stick with it. Thanks everyone!

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I work out at 4:45 am. My body naturally wakes me up around 3:00 every morning and I have a glass of water and a nutrigrain bar that's on my bedside table. There is nothing better or worse as far as eating before lifting but for me, at least a little something in my belly makes me feel better. As long as you are meeting your daily caloric goals and progressing on your lifts, do whatever you want.

34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250) 34AndyUK has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I'd recommend getting in some protein either before you work out or within ~1hr of finishing your workout. Beyond that, it's really down to preference and whatever helps you perform in the gym.

Originally Posted by Vandeman17 View Post
    As long as you are meeting your daily caloric goals and progressing on your lifts, do whatever you want.
    That's what I was hoping to hear, great!

Originally Posted by 34AndyUK View Post
    I'd recommend getting in some protein either before you work out or within ~1hr of finishing your workout. Beyond that, it's really down to preference and whatever helps you perform in the gym.
    Yeah I'm going to give it a shot with banana before work out (an hour prior) and protein shake immediately after. I feel like whichever option it is I take, as long as I stay consistent with it (and progress on lifts of course), my body would adapt in time.

Thanks guys

Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Vandeman17 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by canachives View Post
    That's what I was hoping to hear, great!

Yeah I'm going to give it a shot with banana before work out (an hour prior) and protein shake immediately after. I feel like whichever option it is I take, as long as I stay consistent with it (and progress on lifts of course), my body would adapt in time.

Thanks guys
    The protein shake after is not needed either. The feeding window is garbage. Again, eat or drink what you like, not what some bro science article tells you

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Having a protein shake after your workout is a good idea. Or you could just eat a meal after your workout, what you prefer.

Total protein intake is most important. Besides that it's a good idea to spread your protein intake over the day.

Originally Posted by Vandeman17 View Post
    The protein shake after is not needed either. The feeding window is garbage. Again, eat or drink what you like, not what some bro science article tells you
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    Having a protein shake after your workout is a good idea. Or you could just eat a meal after your workout, what you prefer.

Total protein intake is most important. Besides that it's a good idea to spread your protein intake over the day.
    Interesting... I've always given a similar approach to every other meal in terms of timing (as in, as long as the daily caloric/macro goals are met is all that matters versus believing meal-timings), didn't realize the protein-straight-after-gym was the same. And yes, it does make sense to spread the intake over the day, even if it isn't absolutely necessary. Appreciate the response!

Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000) Peppesbodega is just really nice. (+1000)
    I do fasting man.
    I workout no matter if i fast or eat a lot.
    You know the jacked neanderthals, would they sit down and think about food before killing a prey?
    No, they would hunt for 2 days, and then feast. I believe we still have the same physiological conditions.
    your testosterone supposedly goes up when you fast.

just some food for thought (no pun miscing brah)
    peace

https://www.anabolicmen.com/intermit...-testosterone/

3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) 3maj is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Peppesbodega View Post
    You know the jacked neanderthals, would they sit down and think about food before killing a prey?
    No, they would hunt for 2 days, and then feast. I believe we still have the same physiological conditions.

peace

Please post sources to the studies using neanderthals as subjects proving the above.

IF has no benefit other than convenience.

Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mrpb has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Peppesbodega View Post
    I do fasting man.
    I workout no matter if i fast or eat a lot.

peace

This website ^ is terrible. IF actually decreases testosterone levels.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27737674

Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Jesse_l_g is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Mrpb View Post
    This website ^ is terrible. IF actually decreases testosterone levels.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27737674
    "CONCLUSIONS:
    Our results suggest that an intermittent fasting program in which all calories are consumed in an 8-h window each day, in conjunction with resistance training, could improve some health-related biomarkers, decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

What did you learn from this study? I'm not sure what to think about it. If anything it looks like there is a benefit to IFing. Obviously testosterone isn't the be all end all of health and fitness. It also fluctuates so much throughout the day. I imagine especially so when IFing? Wouldn't it make a difference if they tested when fasted or an hour after eating? Ultimately who cares if testosterone decreases if it isn't negatively affecting (or maybe improving)body competition and health?

Any idea why the TRF group was consuming almost 200 less calories? They must factor for BMR? Maybe that's why they had a decrease in fat mass?

It also seems like 12 hour vs 16 hour fasting period isn't a huge difference. I wonder if they would get similar results with a 10hr vs 18hr group.
    Last edited by Jesse_l_g; 12-12-2017 at 07:24 AM.
    …we have not spent the last 65 million or so years finely honing our physiology to watch Oprah. Like it or not, we are the product of a very long process of adaptation to a harsh physical existence, and the past couple centuries of comparative ease and plenty are not enough time to change our genome. We humans are at our best when our existence mirrors, or at least simulates, the one we are still genetically adapted to live. And that is the purpose of exercise. - Mark Rippetoe

Originally Posted by Jesse_l_g View Post
    "CONCLUSIONS:
    Our results suggest that an intermittent fasting program in which all calories are consumed in an 8-h window each day, in conjunction with resistance training, could improve some health-related biomarkers, decrease fat mass, and maintain muscle mass in resistance-trained males."

What did you learn from this study? I'm not sure what to think about it. If anything it looks like there is a benefit to IFing. Obviously testosterone isn't the be all end all of health and fitness. It also fluctuates so much throughout the day. I imagine especially so when IFing? Wouldn't it make a difference if they tested when fasted or an hour after eating? Ultimately who cares if testosterone decreases if it isn't negatively affecting (or maybe improving)body competition and health?

Any idea why the TRF group was consuming almost 200 less calories? They must factor for BMR? Maybe that's why they had a decrease in fat mass?

It also seems like 12 hour vs 16 hour fasting period isn't a huge difference. I wonder if they would get similar results with a 10hr vs 18hr group.
    Someone else was claiming IF boosts testosterone, which is bullocks. I responded to that.

20% reduction in testosterone on 200 calories deficit. What will happen on 500-700 calories deficit no one knows.

Long term testosterone levels can be pretty important for strength production.

And yes I agree that the IF group lost fat because they ate less. They also gained less arm and thigh circumference. Maybe because of IF, maybe also because of less calories. Then again, the study didn't actually measure muscle, so it's basically a guess what happened on a muscle level.

starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10) starfish08 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I have wondered the same thing as well. I wake up at 5am, have a coffee as preworkout then am at the gym by 5:30am. Never felt hungry while working out. I'm home before 7 and generally bacon eggs for breakfast followed by a protein shake. Still working on raising my total calories but I haven't noticed any difference between working out while fed or unfed. I do tend to gorge before bed though which I just say/assume while carry over and fuel my morning workout.