farrisf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up Vertical Jump Training Methods

So I've been trying lots of methods to increase my vertical jump:
    Squats + variations
    Deadlift + variations
    Swings, jumps, sprints

So the method I'm the most curious about is the 'no arm swing vertical jump'. I usually use a pvc pipe and hold it on my back. Then perform jumps. That way I can take arm momentum out of it and force my legs to work harder.

What do you think of training using the no arm swing jump method to force legs to work harder?

smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000) smokeater is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Contrast training is probably the single best way to increase your jumping ability. This is where you do a heavy weight movement followed immediately by a sports movement.

An example is squats and box jumps. You set up the pins of a power rack at about the 1/4" squat depth. Load up the bar (ideally a safety squat bar for this exercise) with a weight you will max out at 3 reps. Set up a plyo box (preferably a soft plyo box) at about 6" below what your max jump is. Do 2 squats from the pins and then immediately do 3 box jumps (within 10-20 seconds of completing your squats). Do 8-10 sets of this once a week. But don't add any additional sets or exercises. This is your workout. This is a great way of programming your CNS and adapting gym strength to actual athletic ability.

To answer your question, the no-arms training for jumping has its place. Just don't overuse it. Whenever you jump, you incorporate your arms to some degree. They act as levers that can help increase your vertical if done properly.

creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250) creinhold has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by farrisf View Post
    So I've been trying lots of methods to increase my vertical jump:
    Squats + variations
    Deadlift + variations
    Swings, jumps, sprints

So the method I'm the most curious about is the 'no arm swing vertical jump'. I usually use a pvc pipe and hold it on my back. Then perform jumps. That way I can take arm momentum out of it and force my legs to work harder.

What do you think of training using the no arm swing jump method to force legs to work harder?
    Check out the vertical jump bible. http://msuathletics.ru/books/bible/vert_jump_bible.pdf
    Always rape back

Bench: 155 (7/24/12)
    Dead: 200
    Row: 115
    OHP: 95
    Squat: 185
    BF %: 19

::FAT BASTARD CREW::

http://vimeo.com/14462246

Registered User EntropicVoid123's Avatar
    EntropicVoid123 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ill do weighted box jumps sometimes, holding a 25lbs plate to my chest while jumping onto a 2.5 foot box. It doesn't seem like much, but doing that did help me increase my vertical over time.

Regular unweighted box jumps will also help.

As for weighted exercises, a dumbbell jump squat regimen will help. Squats with dumbbells held at the sides (I use 20-25lbs) and jump on your way up from each squat, without swinging the arms.

Barbell deadlift will also build the foundational strength for vertical jumps.

Remember to stretch before and after the exercises to stay limber, a pulled/stretched muscle is no fun.