lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Kettlebell thoughts/opinions

No, I don't plan on building my routine around kettlebells! I don't recall seeing those 25 years ago when I was at the gym a lot, but they're everywhere now. I'm naturally curious. I did pick up a 44 pounder, mostly to play with. My regular routine will remain a simple push/pull based around compound movements.*

I've discovered I like to get the blood pumping a bit first thing in the morning, especially on off days. I'm just recovering from the flu, but I gave it a whirl this morning. Nothing crazy, just a quick 5x10 swings, plus a couple sets of "Czech" swings, where the bell goes all the way toward the ceiling. Not a workout; more of a limbering up. It felt great! And my back seemed to feel great all day (I have back issues). I can see swinging it for a straight 50 reps would be pretty taxing.

Thoughts? Does anyone here use these?

*yeah, yeah, I'm not squatting yet, but I'm working up to it (those back issues).
    “Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body.”
    ― Seneca

Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good for an auxiliary ..... But certainly not a staple of your workout program.

billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50) billzkey will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I use a kettle bell for front goblet squats after doing back squats. The weird thing is I usually go just to below parallel doing back squats but I can go ass to grass doing front goblet squats.

Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Plateauplower has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Kettle bells can be used anything that DBs can be used for basically, although the movement is slightly different on pressing. I think they are great for rehab/prehab stuff. After I did some swings I went and bought Matching pairs of KBs for 5-100. They have a lot of good applications, if I had a "do-over" I wouldn't have bought all those bacause I rarely use them, but most I bought cheap. They shouldn't be a foundation but if they help you meet your goals they are an effective tool.

jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jellodirt is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by lrfiv View Post
    Study results were published by the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research. The results were based on 12 rounds of kettlebell swings 30 seconds work/30 seconds rest. Below are pieces from an article on it.

"Immediately following the swings, testosterone levels were raised by fourteen percent. While this is a significant amount, it isn’t huge, but bear in mind that the exercise protocol wasn’t with particularly heavy weights, but rather was more cardiovascular in nature. As a result, the testosterone returned nearly to resting levels after fifteen minutes..."

"Growth hormone, which is heavily involved in fat metabolism, was elevated as well. This is also a normal response to exercise. It shot up eighteen times its resting level immediately following the protocol, which is not odd at all since resting levels of growth hormone are usually low. It then continued to rise to 21 times resting levels after fifteen minutes, then to sixteen times after thirty minutes."
    Last edited by jellodirt; 12-18-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Grammar

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    A good tool that can be integrated with other weight training or on their own.
    There is a learning curve if you don't want to hurt yourself.
    As mentioned i also use the KB swing as a cardio option when i don't want to other things.
    Careful on those Chez swings and your low back.
    If your not tight with the glutes and abs with the KB in the upper position you open yourself up to possible back injury.
    I like the 15 sec on 15/sec off protocol for this but the 30/30 works well also.
    Basically it's interval training and will get your heart rate up.

GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) GnomusMaximus has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I'm turning in to a CrossFit geek so ya, I use KB's a bit.
    Gnomefit...ain't for everybody, only the sexy people.

shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) shaneinga has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I purchased a 50 lb KB, it now sits in my garage collecting dust, but it is a very useful tool when actually used. You can do a ton of exercises with one. KB swings will definitely get your heart rate up quickly.

There was a T nation article going around the journals a year or so back that had a pretty good challenge with KB swings.

Here it is if interested.

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10...lebell-workout

Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Cantplankwell has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by lrfiv View Post
    No, I don't plan on building my routine around kettlebells! I don't recall seeing those 25 years ago when I was at the gym a lot, but they're everywhere now. I'm naturally curious. I did pick up a 44 pounder, mostly to play with. My regular routine will remain a simple push/pull based around compound movements.*

I've discovered I like to get the blood pumping a bit first thing in the morning, especially on off days. I'm just recovering from the flu, but I gave it a whirl this morning. Nothing crazy, just a quick 5x10 swings, plus a couple sets of "Czech" swings, where the bell goes all the way toward the ceiling. Not a workout; more of a limbering up. It felt great! And my back seemed to feel great all day (I have back issues). I can see swinging it for a straight 50 reps would be pretty taxing.

*yeah, yeah, I'm not squatting yet, but I'm working up to it (those back issues).
    I ran into some issues with Kettlebells when I was doing crossfit a year or two ago. They gave me quite a bit of back trouble, which was fortunately not permanent.

Until you can prove that you have excellent range of mobility and technique dont swing them overhead crossfit style, stick to the Russian style which is say chest height, start out with low weights.

The difference between the two swings, benefits and such, is hotly debated, do some research, and look up the mobility test procedures.

The eastern europeans have been using kettlebells for hundreds of years, the crossfit folks of course took these excellent routines and hot rodded them...beware.

wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) wesleysh21 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I used them in lieu of holding plates. So for instance instead of holding a plate in front of me during weighted situps, I find it a lot easier to hold onto a kettle bell. The same thing for back extensions, etc.
    ALL I ASK IS ALL YOU GOT FOR AS LONG AS IT TAKES

lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Thank you all for the info. I'm surprised how much the swings worked my abs and erectors, they felt pretty sore the next day (in the good way). I can use a bit of that, so I'm pretty happy with my purchase.
    ― Seneca

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    A lot "experts" scoff at them, but I think you have to look at the context. Pavel, Stuart McGill, Dan John are exceptions, you can read their stuff. Unfortunately there are a lot of "toning' KB programs out there. I think in generic terms swings, goblet squats, bottoms up work, turkish get up, and off center loaded carries can be good accessories.

Two links from McGill

http://www.strongfirst.com/my-journe...he-kettlebell/
    STUART MCGILL: MY JOURNEY TO THE KETTLEBELL

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21997449

Some unique loading patterns discovered during the kettlebell swing included the posterior shear of the L4 vertebra on L5, which is opposite in polarity to a traditional lift. Thus, quantitative analysis provides an insight into why many individuals credit kettlebell swings with restoring and enhancing back health and function, although a few find that they irritate tissues.
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) tnthudson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Kettlebells were the first thing (besides bodyweight exercises) that I got into when I re-gained an interest in training, they can be alot of fun.
    I would highly recommend looking at Dragon Door productions...you probably can learn what you need for 'dabbling' on their site, videos, etc. but Enter the Kettlebell is a great book to teach step-by-step the most basic kettlebell movements. Learn to swing correctly and injuries from that movement should be basically non-existent. And it's the basis for most movements with the kettlebell. Good luck!
    Hebrews 12: 1,2
    https://peacewithgod.net

Basic Nutrition: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I have seen kettlebells virtually everywhere 40 years ago. They are things of the past, cheap cast iron weights, very limited in choices of weight. Back then there were even a dedicated competitions for kettlebells lifts. This was a cheap equipment every Russian school gym would have, just to check the box, "yes we have a gym". Same as basketball ring and swedish climb wall. You can build better physique with bodyweight workout in a prison cell.

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    A lot "experts" scoff at them, but I think you have to look at the context.
    That nih.gov link you quoted is gold. The swings have made my back feel great - and it has been a long time since I've said anything crazy like that. Thanks.
    ― Seneca

Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    I have seen kettlebells virtually everywhere 40 years ago. They are things of the past, cheap cast iron weights, very limited in choices of weight. Back then there were even a dedicated competitions for kettlebells lifts. This was a cheap equipment every Russian school gym would have, just to check the box, "yes we have a gym". Same as basketball ring and swedish climb wall. You can build better physique with bodyweight workout in a prison cell.
    Ok. Well, 40 years ago I was only 11 years old, and didn't spend much time back then in cheap Russian gyms. I fail to see how expensive, solid gold kettlebells would work any better than the cheap cast iron kind. I'm busting your balls a bit, I guess, which I hope you can forgive me for. It's obvious you're not a fan of kettlebells. But hey, I did ask for opinions - thanks for taking the time to give me yours.

I'm a big fan of bodyweight work - that's how I started coming back after my accident, lots of bodyweight work and PT. I'd rather not do it in prison, though!
    ― Seneca

semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) semperteneo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Limited experience, personally. BUT, I started to add tabata KB swings at the end of every workout at home, 55 lb kb, and it's a noticeable improvement on my conditioning (I compete in a couple of sports, so I had a baseline).
    Lift ****, choke people, ride bikes, plan to disarm the robots...
    "You ain't no nice guy!"

Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Garage Rat has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Swings should not be working the erectors so much but the glute and hamstrings more.
    Usually this means your not hinging at the hips but bending over at the low back.
    Yes your abs and core get a good hit especially if you get into one hand swings.
    Your body naturally wants to go to the side that you have the KB in your hand.
    You compensate by keeping the body fairly straight ahead using the muscles on the non weighted side to do so.

congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000) congore is just really nice. (+1000)
    I use a 24 kg kettle bell for warm ups before squats or dead lifts. I find it helps active the glutes and hams as well as limbers up the lower back. It can also be used for conditioning or as an accessory exercise (KB press, snatch...). Like any exercise, develop good form and know what you are using it for (don't over due it in the beginning). Good luck.

bobbybanks66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I find them excellent for non static training. I want my weight training to benefit my key active hobbies so function is more important than form (not to say I don't appreciate the form that comes too). Swings, goblet squats, turks stand ups, 'shelves' 'halos' and the likes.

Kessels shot though? originalXDeath's Avatar
    originalXDeath is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ill give the kbs credit for helping with my lower back this summer. One of those sports related muscle skeleton injuries. I kept it at 35 lbs until I dialed my rom in, then took it up. I found with core strength already established you can use these to strengthen the posterior chain when its not at 100% Barbell trg is still what brings me out. But, kbs found their spot in the rotation once I learned what I was doing and started thinking about it.
    "I think we agree...The past is over."