Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Hello, asking for a little help and advice.

Well I'm technically not over 35 until a couple months from now, but I'm definitely feeling older than that right now. I've lost a tons of weight before by only using cardio and a diet and crashed a couple years after losing over 130 pounds. I am currently at 350lbs and have been around 330-350lbs for about 8ish years. I used to workout a lot and recently bought a set of powerblocks with hopes of starting again but I've hit a stump when it came to making a good workout routine to follow. Mainly because I like to procrastinate because I am nervous about the amount of change I need to do in order to reach my goal of losing weight again.

Just curious if anyone here has a good workout routine I can follow if all I have are dumbbells and a FID bench? I have dumbbells that go from 5lbs to 125lbs. I've attached photos of my current body look and my dumbbells.
    Attached Images

ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ljimd has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Read this three times a week for 6-10 reps. Rest and repeat.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=168581133

DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000) DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000) DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000) DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000) DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000) DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000) DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000) DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000) DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000) DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000) DieselBro is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have made some decent headway with my diet. Start small, drink H2O rather than soda.. try to eliminate all sources of "empty calories" that you won't miss that much.. I drink a protein shake to feed my chocolate cravings.

After awhile you won't miss it. Just keep punching the clock and it will happen.....if you are conisistent for 3 months and take another pic, you will be supprised... just don't be one of those guys that takes a daily picture and gets discouraged.

Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50) Kosmological will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by ljimd View Post
    Read this three times a week for 6-10 reps. Rest and repeat.
    oh yes, this should be easy. I like reading. I'm guessing with stuff that requires benching or bars I just find a dumbbell substitute eh.

Originally Posted by DieselBro View Post
    I have made some decent headway with my diet. Start small, drink H2O rather than soda.. try to eliminate all sources of "empty calories" that you won't miss that much.. I drink a protein shake to feed my chocolate cravings.

After awhile you won't miss it. Just keep punching the clock and it will happen.....if you are conisistent for 3 months and take another pic, you will be supprised... just don't be one of those guys that takes a daily picture and gets discouraged.
    Already got the water part down anyway, so that's progress. Empty calories I need to work on for sure.
    Last edited by Kosmological; 12-13-2016 at 10:30 AM. Reason: added another quote instead of another post.

DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50) DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50) DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50) DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50) DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50) DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50) DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50) DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50) DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50) DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50) DingleBerry will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    From a fellow fat guy...
    You didn't get fat by eating fruits and veggies. I'd venture a guess and say you partake in fast food and other varieties of greasy, fat-filled trash.

STOP. You can't have a little, you can't have "cheat days", you can't just "control your portions". You just have to stop eating them. No different than a drunk can't just "drink socially" and a drug addict can't just do the occasional blow. I completely cut out dairy, fried food and fast food for several months. Thinking I could control it, one day I stopped at Wendy's. It has been a mess since then and that was over six years ago and I piled on an extra 30lbs for good measure.

It's funny how we can justify and make an excuse as to why we can be bad "just today" but we can't make excuses and justify and do what it takes to be healthier.

weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) weiss1967 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    from a fellow lean guy...

fat is good. We need fat for life. You can get fat by eating anything.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    I have a couple questions. Did you lose 130 pounds and gain it back after the "crash"...or did you weigh 130 pounds more that you do now?

I mean, if you lost that much, you already know what to do. Get back on that diet/program by all means!

IMHO, losing the fat is the primary issue. Others will have a different opinions, but I would focus on that first. Then, once I was at a reasonable size, I'd switch over to the weight lifting.

Did you get the power blocks 2nd hand (how much). Did you build the stand? I have a set of 90 pounders myself. Awesome investment. Had to stalk Craigslist for months.

You love to read? What genre? I'm normally a Sci Fi and fantasy guy (and RPG/Mini-games), but an occasional western or historical novel keeps things interesting.

Originally Posted by DingleBerry View Post
    From a fellow fat guy...
    You didn't get fat by eating fruits and veggies. I'd venture a guess and say you partake in fast food and other varieties of greasy, fat-filled trash.

STOP. You can't have a little, you can't have "cheat days", you can't just "control your portions". You just have to stop eating them. No different than a drunk can't just "drink socially" and a drug addict can't just do the occasional blow. I completely cut out dairy, fried food and fast food for several months. Thinking I could control it, one day I stopped at Wendy's. It has been a mess since then and that was over six years ago and I piled on an extra 30lbs for good measure.

It's funny how we can justify and make an excuse as to why we can be bad "just today" but we can't make excuses and justify and do what it takes to be healthier.
    Yeah, I just started to take weight-loss seriously this week, so when I go grocery shopping tomorrow, I'll be sure to keep my shopping cart healthy anyway.

Originally Posted by weiss1967 View Post
    from a fellow lean guy...

fat is good. We need fat for life. You can get fat by eating anything.
    hehe

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    I have a couple questions. Did you lose 130 pounds and gain it back after the "crash"...or did you weigh 130 pounds more that you do now?

I mean, if you lost that much, you already know what to do. Get back on that diet/program by all means!

IMHO, losing the fat is the primary issue. Others will have a different opinions, but I would focus on that first. Then, once I was at a reasonable size, I'd switch over to the weight lifting.

Did you get the power blocks 2nd hand (how much). Did you build the stand? I have a set of 90 pounders myself. Awesome investment. Had to stalk Craigslist for months.

You love to read? What genre? I'm normally a Sci Fi and fantasy guy (and RPG/Mini-games), but an occasional western or historical novel keeps things interesting.
    I did lose over 130 pounds one time ago, I am about 10 more pounds heavier than my old self before losing all that weight. I lost all that weight with just cardio and a strict diet. Not so much starving myself, just eating right. The average meal day would be like, Cheerios, toast, banana for breakfast. One sandwich with low carb bread and 100g of extra lean turkey and a bunch of veggies and a slice of fat free cheese for lunch. And supper would be a cooked from frozen chicken breast (cheapest chicken breast option) and load the plate with boiled veggies. The rules for buying food was simple. Keep carbs and fat low and no red meat.

I think the biggest thing that discouraged me is I hated seeing all that excess skin hanging off my body after losing all that weight. I was more comfortable taking my shirt off when I was fat than when I was skinny. But I never worked out with weights and this time, I'll make sure that is a part of my weight-loss routine.

I purchased my power blocks retail. I bought the 90lbs set with the 125lbs upgrade for $999.99 CAD total. I made the bench myself for about 35 dollars in lumber. All I needed was a few 8 foot 2x6's and an 8 foot 4x4 for legs and one 2x4 for the holey middle piece and foot support. I used a skill saw and power drill for the screws. But a good ol hand saw and screw driver will do if you don't own the tools.

I mainly read about physics and self-help type of books. "How to be an imperfectionist" is currently what I just finished reading and I love it. I read it on my kobo eReader but I purchased it on Amazon to have a hard copy because I plan to read this book like it's my bible. I've ordered mini habits as well because it's written from the same dude and this book seems to reference it a lot. I do occasionally read fiction though. I recently finish reading all the "Half a king/war/world/" series. I think it was geared toward YA readers but I found the book fun and enjoyed reading them. I also loved "Ready Player One". I just started reading "Water Knife" and so far I'm liking the story. Looking forward to finishing that book. I also regularly play D&D with several friends every Saturday.

I think you're right about going back on my old habits though. I just need to add the other advice I got earlier by DieselBro about drinking a protein shake to satisfy my hungers when I feel the need to snack.
    Last edited by Kosmological; 12-14-2016 at 09:27 AM.

PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) PiperBill is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You sound like a good bloke so good luck and get stuck into creating the new you :-) You should not only learn about lifting but also about eating right. Cheerios, banana and toast for breakfast is not "eating right" as you put it. Even with the milk on the cheerios that would be way to fast carb heavy (read sugar). Proteins and good fats are a must on any diet.

I'm not against carbs. I love them and I need them but it's a fact that the average diet in the western world is way to carb dominant. Read up on it if you like reading stuff.
    Anybody can workout for an hour but controlling what you eat the next 23 hours is the real task.

ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ChristianMR has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    To be honest, I kind of like your minimalist set up -- looks cool.

You can do a ton with just a pair of adjustable dumbbells: overhead press, floor press, suitcase squats, dumbbell deadlifts, suitcase carries, and rows, just to name a few (and those would probably be the exercises that I'd personally do). Just don't fall into the trap of doing some curls and thinking you'er done. Even with dumbbells, compound exercises give you the most bang for your buck.

grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) grubman has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    Watch out for "fat free" foods. Most of them have a lot of sugar added to make up for the lack of taste. Good fats are actually a good source of energy in a balanced diet...but sugar is your main enemy.

Cheerios, a banana, and milk isn't actually a bad breakfast. You can blend some protien powder into the milk for more protien and flavor without adding sugar.

If you aren't on a diet that restricts certain foods, moderation is the key...and you might not "crash" this time.

Good luck, keep us informed of your progress.

Originally Posted by PiperBill View Post
    You sound like a good bloke so good luck and get stuck into creating the new you :-) You should not only learn about lifting but also about eating right. Cheerios, banana and toast for breakfast is not "eating right" as you put it. Even with the milk on the cheerios that would be way to fast carb heavy (read sugar). Proteins and good fats are a must on any diet.

I'm not against carbs. I love them and I need them but it's a fact that the average diet in the western world is way to carb dominant. Read up on it if you like reading stuff.
    Oh yes, I'll be sure to add some eating right kinda books to my collection. Carbs are a major chink in my armor when it comes to eating. My current eating habits are heavily dependent on carb based foods and that is definitely an issue I need to address. Especially being diabetic as well.

Originally Posted by ChristianMR View Post
    To be honest, I kind of like your minimalist set up -- looks cool.

You can do a ton with just a pair of adjustable dumbbells: overhead press, floor press, suitcase squats, dumbbell deadlifts, suitcase carries, and rows, just to name a few (and those would probably be the exercises that I'd personally do). Just don't fall into the trap of doing some curls and thinking you'er done. Even with dumbbells, compound exercises give you the most bang for your buck.
    I'll keeps these workouts in mind for sure. Yeah, I fell into the curl trap long time ago. D'oh.

Originally Posted by grubman View Post
    Watch out for "fat free" foods. Most of them have a lot of sugar added to make up for the lack of taste. Good fats are actually a good source of energy in a balanced diet...but sugar is your main enemy.

Cheerios, a banana, and milk isn't actually a bad breakfast. You can blend some protien powder into the milk for more protien and flavor without adding sugar.

If you aren't on a diet that restricts certain foods, moderation is the key...and you might not "crash" this time.

Good luck, keep us informed of your progress.
    As mentioned above, sugar is definitely my enemy. A part of my old diet was actually making sure most of my foods were sugar free as well. I've been diabetic since I was 16, but when I lost all that weight I no longer needed to take insulin to maintain my sugars. Although after gaining all my weight back and then some, I am taking quite a bit of insulin to keep my sugars in check. Right now, I'm just controlling portions which helped with about 6 pounds since last week. But I mean, 6 pounds at my weight could be just water weight or a need to crap coming up in the near future.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I'll enjoy my stay here and it seems like a positive community here in these forums.

EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) EjnarKolinkar has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Have you though about talking to your doctor? Many health insurance plans will provide for a dietitian's assistance, I think more so for diabetics.

As for training you can hit up the workout program forum. Based on your ability you could look at any number of beginner programs there and structure them around your dumbbells. Here is a link to the Fierce 5 comprehensive program list which will give you some idea of a well formulated program, as well as get you over to that forum: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...31&pagenumber=
    The most important aspect of weight training; whether for the athlete, bodybuilder, or average person is to better ones health and ability without injury. - Bill Pearl

Originally Posted by EjnarKolinkar View Post
    Have you though about talking to your doctor? Many health insurance plans will provide for a dietitian's assistance, I think more so for diabetics.

As for training you can hit up the workout program forum. Based on your ability you could look at any number of beginner programs there and structure them around your dumbbells. Here is a link to the Fierce 5 comprehensive program list which will give you some idea of a well formulated program, as well as get you over to that forum: [LINK]
    It's been awhile since I talked nutrition with my doctor. But now that you reminded me I'll ask about it. I so happen to have an appointment with my doctor today.

Sweet, I was looking at the fierce 5 link given to me earlier but I wasn't aware they already set up one for dumbbells. Makes planning a program a lot easier eh.

trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000) trev71 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    --
    Knows a trial lawyer who knows how to defend himself in an online forum.

lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50) lrfiv will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by DingleBerry View Post
    STOP. You can't have a little, you can't have "cheat days", you can't just "control your portions". You just have to stop eating them...

...It's funny how we can justify and make an excuse as to why we can be bad "just today" but we can't make excuses and justify and do what it takes to be healthier.
    ^^^This x 10.
    Like DingleBerry's advice, this comes from a fat guy that's walking the road you've started. All you read about "controlled feeds" and nutrient timing are for guys that are at a level we would consider successful. For the overweight, the key is to eat less, and move more. Dumbells are great. Don't dismiss bodyweight workouts - you've got over 100lbs of extra weight you carry around. Take the stairs, do squats and calf raises, walk - it's like one of these skinny guys doing all that while wearing a backpack full of lead ingots. Read the links here about diet macros, and follow them. You can do it!
    “Difficulties strengthen the mind, as labor does the body.”
    ― Seneca

Originally Posted by lrfiv View Post
    ^^^This x 10.
    Like DingleBerry's advice, this comes from a fat guy that's walking the road you've started. All you read about "controlled feeds" and nutrient timing are for guys that are at a level we would consider successful. For the overweight, the key is to eat less, and move more. Dumbells are great. Don't dismiss bodyweight workouts - you've got over 100lbs of extra weight you carry around. Take the stairs, do squats and calf raises, walk - it's like one of these skinny guys doing all that while wearing a backpack full of lead ingots. Read the links here about diet macros, and follow them. You can do it!
    The last time I lost a lot of weight, I had absolutely no cheating allowed. I'm pretty sure I'll apply the same here (using future tense here because I haven't gone grocery shopping yet due to the winter storm). The hardest thing I'm gonna deal with is quitting drinking. I drink once a week with my friends so much that we all call it Casual Fridays. But I did quit for like 7 months last year so I think I can break it to my friends that Casual Fridays will not be happening anymore.

I haven't read too much into the food stuff yet, but I switched my 2% milk with almond milk this morning for cereal. But I'll see if it's nicer to my sugar levels when I check them this afternoon.

One day for fun I decided to see how many body weight squats I can do in one day. Every chance I got I did some squats. I forget the total number but I mean I did like 20-30 reps every now and then throughout the whole damn day. Haha, oh man. I could not get off my bed the next day, The hardest thing in the world was getting up and walking to the bathroom.