Closed Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Registered User jeffersonranada's Avatar
    jeffersonranada has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hello everyone, I have a really bad problem about my bench press. When I was young, I broke my left collarbone. It's already been healed and feels no pain from that bone. My problem is I'm having a hard time contracting my left pec and as a result my right pec is bigger than my left. I am hesitant to post a picture of my pecs because I have a really bad gyno and it's very embarrassing. I am currently cutting and I am on fierce 5 beginner program. I am also using proper form on bench (scapula retracted, straight wrist, benching in a reverse arch etc) Help me guys, please. Thanks.

I need about tree fiddy davisj3537's Avatar
    davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by ivan619 View Post
    how to get tight.. also try to depress and retract shoulder and arc back slightly
    i wanna know.. is my elbow right? my grip width
    Watch "so you think you can bench" on youtube.
    Originally Posted by jeffersonranada View Post
    Hello everyone, I have a really bad problem about my bench press. When I was young, I broke my left collarbone. It's already been healed and feels no pain from that bone. My problem is I'm having a hard time contracting my left pec and as a result my right pec is bigger than my left. I am hesitant to post a picture of my pecs because I have a really bad gyno and it's very embarrassing. I am currently cutting and I am on fierce 5 beginner program. I am also using proper form on bench (scapula retracted, straight wrist, benching in a reverse arch etc) Help me guys, please. Thanks.
    I'd try not to worry about it until you move off a beginner program. You can switch to DBs if you like. Some people say that helps.
    Experience, not just theory

RickBerg has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I just did chest day yesterday after spending most of the day reading about how to correct my form. I've been benching for 8-9 years with apparently poor form. I have always gone with a pretty wide grip and flared my elbows to about 90 degrees and lowered to about 2/3 of the way between my collarbone and nipple - closer to the collar bone. I did this with push ups as well because I thought that it worked the chest more (I felt it stretch more at the bottom). Imagine my confusion when I really started taking things seriously about a year ago and I realized that my anterior delts were usually VERY sore the day after benching, while my chest was meh. Not to mention that I had torn my rotator cuff in high school and that was started to hurt pretty bad everytime I benched. As a result, I quit touching my chest when benching, thinking that it was that last inch or two that was causing the pain.

Anyhow, last week when I benched with my poor form, I did 4x7 at 195lbs. Yesterday won't be a direct comparison because all the benches were full, so I started with incline (focused on keeping my elbows tucked in on this one too). Anyhow I managed to do 135x8, 155x7, 135x7 on incline which is quite a bit lower than what I typically do 4x6 @165-175. Then I moved to bench and could barely finished 3x8 @ 135.

Even accounting for being a bit tired from the incline, 3x8 @135 is A LOT less than 4x6 @195. Are my pecs really that weak and my shoulders had been bearing that much of the load in the past? I think that I was following the correct form, perhaps my grip is the correct width, but I was keeping my elbows tucked and lowering to just south of my nipples, keeping my back slightly arched and shoulder blades pinched.

TL;DR: Is it normal to lose a significant amount of strength immediately after correcting form? I'd imagine some strength would be lost, but my case seems extreme.

davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz davisj3537 has the mod powerz
    Pretty normal to lose some strength and how much depends on how drastic you changed your form. After 6-8 weeks of the new form it'll be MUCH better and a lot safer on your shoulders. In 3 months time you should see similar strength as before and have much higher overall bench potential.

In the long run you'll bench more...and safer. Stay the course.

Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Hillsy89 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm so glad I took to the bodybuilding forums before I started lifting. I have learnt so much, this thread is fantastic. Thanks Davis. I only wish maybe I have purchased a powerrack instead of an adjustable squat rack/bench... but I think the wife would have murdered me if I took up that much space in the garage!

Hello again davis, sorry for the delay response. It really bothers me because my right pec contracts perfectly while my left pec doesn't. And if I switch to dumbells, what would be the rep/set scheme that I should use? still 3x5? I'm sorry if I keep on bugging you, I don't have anyone to ask these kind of questions here because people at my gym doesn't use proper form. Thanks again davis.

Hello again davis, sorry for the delay response. It really bothers me because my right pec contracts perfectly while my left pec doesn't. And if I switch to dumbells, what would be the rep/set scheme that I should use? still 3x5? I'm sorry if I keep on bugging you, I don't have anyone to ask these kind of questions here because people at my gym doesn't use proper form. Thanks again davis.
    3x8. Again, try not to worry about it. Good luck.

Hey Davis, I can't understand the part where you said you have to "bend" the bar in half. Should I be bending it towards me or away from me?

Hey Davis, I can't understand the part where you said you have to "bend" the bar in half. Should I be bending it towards me or away from me?
    Imagine a bunch of weight loaded on the bar will make the bar bend. You want to bend it the same way...aka bend the ends with the weights on them to the ground. Some guys use the same cue to "bend" the weighted ends towards their feet to engage the lats. Everyone has to find what works for them...this takes years.

Location: Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, United Kingdom (Great Britain)
    IvanGregory has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Awesome post, dude!

Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Blaqksmith has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    the bench is a meme all in it's own form, as long as your having fun with PR's and getting stronger and staying away from crazy positioning just don't take it too seriously, I never seen amazing chest growth with flat bench press

JUsborne has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So I'd heard some of this before, but I specifically want to ask about the shoulder blade thing. I always try this. I spend a lot of time setting up, trying to get it perfect. But as soon as I unrack the bar it feels like my back is forced to flatten by the weight of it.

I've tried deloading, but this happens at any challenging weight. It either flattens my back on unracking, or it is too easy. I don't know how to make it challenging for myself while retaining good form. Any tips?

SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000)
    When I perform bench press, my wrists are not straight at all. Today i payed special attention to it.

During warm-up sets with empty barbell everything was fine with straight wrists. But when i tried with heavier warmup, my wrists started to hurt so I had to bend them to my comfortable position for them.

Shouldnt it be quite the opposite case??? I am confused.

Originally Posted by JUsborne View Post
    So I'd heard some of this before, but I specifically want to ask about the shoulder blade thing. I always try this. I spend a lot of time setting up, trying to get it perfect. But as soon as I unrack the bar it feels like my back is forced to flatten by the weight of it.

I've tried deloading, but this happens at any challenging weight. It either flattens my back on unracking, or it is too easy. I don't know how to make it challenging for myself while retaining good form. Any tips?
    Months of practice at low weights. 1,000 good clean reps is a good start.
    Originally Posted by SheLovesPablo View Post
    When I perform bench press, my wrists are not straight at all. Today i payed special attention to it.

During warm-up sets with empty barbell everything was fine with straight wrists. But when i tried with heavier warmup, my wrists started to hurt so I had to bend them to my comfortable position for them.

Shouldnt it be quite the opposite case??? I am confused.
    Need video

SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000) SheLovesPablo is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Ok davis, I will definitely ask someone to video me next time when I bench(in 3 days).

Will do the same for front squat, but not sure where should I post the video for the front squat. New thread or search for squat threads?

And thank u for helping all of us out. Really, sincerely.

Originally Posted by SheLovesPablo View Post
    Ok davis, I will definitely ask someone to video me next time when I bench(in 3 days).

Will do the same for front squat, but not sure where should I post the video for the front squat. New thread or search for squat threads?

And thank u for helping all of us out. Really, sincerely.
    I'd make a thread in this section for it. Put both videos in the thread and send me a private message with a link.

EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Bench form check pls

~ ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE ~

Journey to 405+ bench and beyond! - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176215051
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAmJ5mQ0uD8&t=1s

^^ Completed 1/5/22

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EthanHun View Post
    Bench form check pls

Looks good man.

Ill say what i tell everyone, you can always get tighter! And then tighter some more. If i Could walk past and for example nudge your knee and it moves... Need to get tighter.

I cue people, quads on! Glutes tight! Lats down! Big chest.. To get them tight.

Id rather see people get their knees lower than their hips and use some leg drive to get even tighter.. But can't really fault your form, especially if its not specifically for PL.

Just Some strong clean reps right there buddy. Good smooth work in my opinion.
    FMH crew - Couch.

'pick a program from the stickies' = biggest cop out post.

EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) EthanHun has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by MyEgoProblem View Post
    Looks good man.

Ill say what i tell everyone, you can always get tighter! And then tighter some more. If i Could walk past and for example nudge your knee and it moves... Need to get tighter.

I cue people, quads on! Glutes tight! Lats down! Big chest.. To get them tight.

Id rather see people get their knees lower than their hips and use some leg drive to get even tighter.. But can't really fault your form, especially if its not specifically for PL.

Just Some strong clean reps right there buddy. Good smooth work in my opinion.
    Yeha i'v been working on my Lats back and down. Elbows in. Chest up. I'v been working on my tightness and leg drive. I'm some how struggling to get my feet under my knees. I'v tried a wider stance and also tried on my toes but I cramp up so hard when I do that.
    ~ ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE ~

Journey to 405+ bench and beyond! - https://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=176215051
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAmJ5mQ0uD8&t=1s

^^ Completed 1/5/22

MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) MyEgoProblem has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by EthanHun View Post
    Yeha i'v been working on my Lats back and down. Elbows in. Chest up. I'v been working on my tightness and leg drive. I'm some how struggling to get my feet under my knees. I'v tried a wider stance and also tried on my toes but I cramp up so hard when I do that.
    Yeah man. It can be a real pita to get your feet just right for your leverages! Trail and error and a little mobility work.

Hamstring and lat cramps are regular af for me! Even with my poverty bench..
    FMH crew - Couch.

englishtony has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I've been reading the thread, and noted the form. I now see why I am getting a pain on the inside of my arm after heavy (for me) presses. This is because on the way up my hands tend to bend back. I have have had this form for a number of years, how do I re-train myself to do it properly without the wrist movement?

Originally Posted by englishtony View Post
    I've been reading the thread, and noted the form. I now see why I am getting a pain on the inside of my arm after heavy (for me) presses. This is because on the way up my hands tend to bend back. I have have had this form for a number of years, how do I re-train myself to do it properly without the wrist movement?
    Adjust where the bar sits in your hand and squeeze it harder. And think about doing it.

Is a good start.
    FMH crew - Couch.

33tsquare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) 33tsquare has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I am pretty sure that I am doing all of this right, but I still don't feel it in my chest when pressing. I have a pretty weak chest, and I am trying to build my chest muscles. I have been doing bench press, but I do not feel it in my chest, and my ars are what is getting tired from bench press (specifically deltoids). I am also not seeing my chest grow at all, but my shoulders are really getting bigger. I'm pretty sure that my form is good, as I've done lots of research and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have tried lots of different things, but none of them seem to work in targeting my chest. I would really love some help from someone more experienced than me, and I'm hoping to find the fix to my problem. I don't know if this makes a difference, but i work out using a soloflex. Thanks.

Originally Posted by 33tsquare View Post
    I am pretty sure that I am doing all of this right, but I still don't feel it in my chest when pressing. I have a pretty weak chest, and I am trying to build my chest muscles. I have been doing bench press, but I do not feel it in my chest, and my ars are what is getting tired from bench press (specifically deltoids). I am also not seeing my chest grow at all, but my shoulders are really getting bigger. I'm pretty sure that my form is good, as I've done lots of research and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I have tried lots of different things, but none of them seem to work in targeting my chest. I would really love some help from someone more experienced than me, and I'm hoping to find the fix to my problem. I don't know if this makes a difference, but i work out using a soloflex. Thanks.
    Your form needs a lot of work. I don't even need to see your form and can tell you that...your post and age says it all. Not a stab at you; it's just the truth.

Post a video in the exercise section of your form and you'll get some good feedback.

thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100) thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100) thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100) thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100) thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100) thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100) thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100) thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100) thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100) thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100) thefitnesstips is not very well liked. (-100)

Where to hold the barbell for bench press

Being a personal trainer I must want to mention that you are lacking one thing that is where to hold the barbell. Majority of people dont know this myth from where to hold the barbell. Its more important than your wrist positioning. Mostly follow the marks on the barbell but i am against this technique because everyone having different body structure like someone thin, some are with big broad shoulders. So everyone must grab the barbel according to own shoulder width.

Originally Posted by thefitnesstips View Post
    Being a personal trainer I must want to mention that you are lacking one thing that is where to hold the barbell. Majority of people dont know this myth from where to hold the barbell. Its more important than your wrist positioning. Mostly follow the marks on the barbell but i am against this technique because everyone having different body structure like someone thin, some are with big broad shoulders. So everyone must grab the barbel according to own shoulder width.
    You must have skimmed over the paragraph on grip width...

Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10) Coachjlr is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    be careful but keep at it

blade277 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Great advices. Still trying differnet variations and styles.

17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) 17mahmoods has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I've been watching a lot of other youtube vids on bench form and notice a lot of lifters lifting their head up when the barbell reaches the chest and then putting it back down as they push the weight back up. Is this in anyway bad for you and does this allow you to lift heavier?
    Last edited by 17mahmoods; 12-23-2016 at 06:30 AM. Reason: accidentally quoted

Originally Posted by 17mahmoods View Post
    I've been watching a lot of other youtube vids on bench form and notice a lot of lifters lifting their head up when the barbell reaches the chest and then putting it back down as they push the weight back up. Is this in anyway bad for you and does this allow you to lift heavier?
    There are a few theories on it for different styles of lifting, but they're all pretty advanced in terms of nit picking your form.

It's common to see it done by shirted lifters because it allows them to touch a bit easier, or so that is the theory.

I've also seen references made to it loosening up the fascia along the torso supposedly (if I remember correctly) allowing for more pec engagement. Again pretty involved theory.

I personally do not lift my head because I lose stability. Your ability to lift more weight is magnified by how stable of a platform you're pressing from. Removing a contact point from the bench reduces stability.