PrettyLongNick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Why do many powerlifters not care about low body fat?

Hi! This is my first post and while I was an on-and-off gym-goer for the last few years with focus on BB, I'm fairly new to powerlifting.
    I always had the impression that powerlifters - and olympic lifters as well - often don't seem to care about their high body fat. At first glance that seems reasonable - caloric deficit hinders your gains after all.

But then I stumbled across this article and it struck me like lightning: powerliftingtowin.com/rapid-fatloss-handbook-before-and-after-results-review/
    While the guy isn't world class league, he sure does know about his stuff... and while he crash-dieted while doing 2 light workouts a week, he managed to increase his total by 24 pounds!
    After thinking about it, it totally makes sense: Every pound of bodyfat that you squat with is a pound you could put on your barbell instead.
    Considering that he lost 31lbs fat while only gaining 24 total, technically speaking he lost strength overall. But from an ego, an aesthetic and a competitive (and that's what counts after all) viewpoint, this is a huge success, isn't it?

So, what am I missing? Why are competitive lifters not lean a.f.?

melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) melDorado has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

In

Rather lift more at this weight than the same in lower class.

Brb could care less about abs
    Brb eating cake
    retired from powerlifting, retired from the misc

Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Trolltongue is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's not that black and white.

Most people find that as they gain weight their leverages for the squat and the bench press will improve. Also consider that, yes, you're technically moving more weight as a bigger person, but not all of that weight will be distributed in such a manner that it will place stress on your primary movers(i.e. you don't press your belly) or affect your weak points(i.e. a fat butt probably won't make your deadlift lockout harder).

I think the most important facet, though, is that being in a caloric surplus for long enough, along with smart training, can get you incredibly strong, which is what most people in strength sports want.

That said, take a look at most of the world class non-SHW lifters, the vast majority of them have a fairly low bodyfat%, and have to, to be competitive.
    374/176/429 @174 - 04/02/16
    413w/198/435 @164 - 10/29/16

Not even my final form NZninja101's Avatar
    NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) NZninja101 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Trolltongue View Post
    It's not that black and white.

Most people find that as they gain weight their leverages for the squat and the bench press will improve. Also consider that, yes, you're technically moving more weight as a bigger person, but not all of that weight will be distributed in such a manner that it will place stress on your primary movers(i.e. you don't press your belly) or affect your weak points(i.e. a fat butt probably won't make your deadlift lockout harder).

I think the most important facet, though, is that being in a caloric surplus for long enough, along with smart training, can get you incredibly strong, which is what most people in strength sports want.

That said, take a look at most of the world class non-SHW lifters, the vast majority of them have a fairly low bodyfat%, and have to, to be competitive.

This hits it on the head.

Also, the powerlifters you're more likely to have heard of are often the heaviest ones moving the most weight, and are in the heaviest weight class with no upper limit, which creates less incentive for leanness.
    'People are gonna remember me as a god forever... Like-like-like Troy, like Chiles heel, I'm a god forever I'll be remembered for thousands of years to come' - Jason Genova

Texas Method Mod: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=171537443&p=1444534723&viewfull=1#post1444534723

retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000) retiredrunner is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Being ~10% BF while trying to hit weekly PRs sucks. Everything feels... exhausting
    MAGA crew
    Late 30s crew
    CS crew

husband, father, trainer KyleAaron's Avatar
    KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000) KyleAaron is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by PrettyLongNick View Post
    Why are competitive lifters not lean a.f.?
    Because it is hard to be big, and it is hard to be lean, but it is really, really hard to be big and lean.

EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000) EasternHammer is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by PrettyLongNick View Post
    Hi! This is my first post and while I was an on-and-off gym-goer for the last few years with focus on BB, I'm fairly new to powerlifting.
    I always had the impression that powerlifters - and olympic lifters as well - often don't seem to care about their high body fat. At first glance that seems reasonable - caloric deficit hinders your gains after all.

But then I stumbled across this article and it struck me like lightning: powerliftingtowin.com/rapid-fatloss-handbook-before-and-after-results-review/
    While the guy isn't world class league, he sure does know about his stuff... and while he crash-dieted while doing 2 light workouts a week, he managed to increase his total by 24 pounds!
    After thinking about it, it totally makes sense: Every pound of bodyfat that you squat with is a pound you could put on your barbell instead.
    Considering that he lost 31lbs fat while only gaining 24 total, technically speaking he lost strength overall. But from an ego, an aesthetic and a competitive (and that's what counts after all) viewpoint, this is a huge success, isn't it?

So, what am I missing? Why are competitive lifters not lean a.f.?
    The key in your post is the phrase "world-class league." At the very top level, the lifters are lean, excepting the supers. Pointing the finger at average gym rats and asking them "why aren't you lean+have an elite total" is like going down to the YMCA and asking the guys playing basketball "how come none of you are seven feet tall." Everything is different in the top division of every sport.

dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dutchie1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's really what works for the athlete ... there's powerlifters out there that are jacked out of their mind (Dan Greene, Stan Efferding, Jesse Norris, Eric Lillebridge come to mind). If your looking at athletes that aren't limited by a max weight for they're weight class (SHW's) it might be in their best interest to bulk up to a heavier weight.

If you look at Bennedict Magnusson's instagram he has a post where he shows he bulked up to nearly 400lbs gaining almost 50 pounds in 12 weeks in preperation for the world deadlift challenge.
    Experience is the single greatest teacher in history. First you do your test, then he teaches you the lesson

Nothing succeeds like failure

JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) JRMoore82 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Cause you don't get bonus points for abs.

MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50) MonkeySlayer will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    swede burns said it best, "Abs arent impressive unless your in the 250lb range. crackheads have abs. homeless people have abs"

100% agree with this. Just move some heavy weight.