cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Assistance with Girlfriend's Cholesterol

So to start off, this is for my girlfriend. She works in a large corporation that does health screenings every year. Last year she was told her "bad" cholesterol was 148 (supposed to be below 130?) and we tried to be conscious when possible about sodium (beyond that I don't have the know how). This morning she received results from her screening (this year) and its reading 150. Her "good" cholesterol went up from 65 to 72 while her overall went up from 231 to 248 this year. So we made a move in the wrong direction.
    We do believe that some of it has to do with genetics as her fathers side of the family has had issues with cholesterol in the past. Anyways, I think its time to do research and get educated and I figured this would be a great place to start. Hoping I can find some guidance. Thank you all in advance.

LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50) LaMartian will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Welcome, mate.
    If you think hiring a good tech is expensive, try hiring a cheap one.

cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) cctaylor311 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by LaMartian View Post
    Welcome, mate.
    Thank you...

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by cctaylor311 View Post
    So to start off, this is for my girlfriend. She works in a large corporation that does health screenings every year. Last year she was told her "bad" cholesterol was 148 (supposed to be below 130?) and we tried to be conscious when possible about sodium (beyond that I don't have the know how). This morning she received results from her screening (this year) and its reading 150. Her "good" cholesterol went up from 65 to 72 while her overall went up from 231 to 248 this year. So we made a move in the wrong direction.
    We do believe that some of it has to do with genetics as her fathers side of the family has had issues with cholesterol in the past. Anyways, I think its time to do research and get educated and I figured this would be a great place to start. Hoping I can find some guidance. Thank you all in advance.
    Bad Cholesterol

LDL (Low Density Lipoprotein) is what's termed "Bad Cholesterol".

It mislabeled and misunderstood because people want a quick simple answer...yes or no, good or bad?

New Cholesterol Guideline

The new guidelines are that an LDL Reading of 170 is okay with healthy individuals.

Particle Size

The major determinate of LDL being good or bad is Particle Size.

LDL consist of basically two types.

1) Particle A LDL: Having a large amount Particle A LDL is healthy.

2) Particle B LDL: Having a large amount of Particle B is bad.

LDL Particle Test

Another test can be preformed to determine which she has the most of Particle A or B.

However, physicians rarely do that for a variety of reasons unless the patient request it.

Most patient don't know enough to request it, as in your case.

A Realistic Particle Test

Another realistic method of determining which Particle Size is...

Triglycerides and HDL Numbers

1) Low Triglycerides and High HDL Numbers indicate High Particle A...the good guys.

2) High Triglycerides and Low HDL Numbers indicate High Particle B...the bad guys.

What Determines LDL

High fat intake increases LDL and Total Cholesterol.

Ironically, fat intake also increases HDL.

What Determines Triglycerides

High intake of sugars promote High Triglycerides; High = Bad.

Low intake of sugars via high fiber carbohydrates and abstaining from simple sugars produce low Triglycerides; Low = Good.

Your Girl Friend's Reading

The fact that her Total Cholesterol, LDL and HDL went up indicates she may have increased her fat consumption.

With that stated, her current numbers may be fine.

Triglycerides

The determinate factor rest with knowing what her Triglycerides are.

Based on her High HDL, I suspect that her Triglycerides are low to moderate, not high.

Triglyceride:HDL Ratio

A secondary huge factor is the "Triglyceride to HLD Ratio".

That ratio is determined by dividing HDL into Triglycerides.

Example

HDL: 72 (as per your post)

Triglycerides: 120 (let's say they are that)

120 divided by 72 = 1.66

Guidelines for Triglyceride:HDL Ratio

To reiterate, the Triglyceride:HDL Ratio is a huge indicator of health.

1) Under 4: Preferable the ratio needs to be under 4.

2) Under 2: This is considered fantastic.

Based on that if her Triglycerides were 120 and her HDL is 72 her ratio number would be: 1.66!

A great reading.

Move In The Wrong Direction?

Her latest reading may be just fine.

That based on the breakdown above.

High Cholesterol Reading In Elderly

Her father's reading may be fine, as well.

Research shows that older individuals with higher total cholesterol readings outlive individuals with lower total cholesterol levels.

With that stated, High Total Cholesterol to a point is healthy in older individuals, as long as Triglycerides are low and HDL is high.

Educational Information

1) 8 Cholesterol Myths Your Doctor Still Believes, Dr Johnny Bowden
    http://jonnybowden.com/cholesterol-myths/#prettyPhoto

2) Sugar: The Bitter Truth, Dr Robert Lustig
    http://www.uctv.tv/shows/Sugar-The-Bitter-Truth-16717

3) The Benefits of High Cholesterol, Dr Uffe Ravnskov
    http://www.ravnskov.nu/2015/12/30/th...h-cholesterol/

4) The Truth About Ancel Keys: We’ve All Got It Wrong
    http://rawfoodsos.com/2011/12/22/the...-got-it-wrong/

Ancel Key's research about high fat intake and high cholesterol levels causing cardiovascular health issues was built on psuedoscience.

Key's Seven Counties Research Study was on 22 Countries.

15 of the Countries that did not substantiate his believe were eliminated from his report.

ONLY the 7 Countries that supported his believe were reported.

Leaving out facts amounts to fraud.

Kenny Croxdale
    Last edited by kennycroxdale; 04-01-2016 at 07:53 AM.
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.

Thank you so much, after forwarding this to her and asking her for more numbers she overlooked her triglycerides of course. Sorry for the confusion... she states in 2015 triglycerides were 90 with a cholesterol ration of 3.6. This year Tri=128 with a cholesterol ratio of 3.4. Would you mind interpreting this for me to the best or your knowledge?

kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500) kennycroxdale is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by cctaylor311 View Post
    Thank you so much, after forwarding this to her and asking her for more numbers she overlooked her triglycerides of course. Sorry for the confusion... she states in 2015 triglycerides were 90 with a cholesterol ration of 3.6. This year Tri=128 with a cholesterol ratio of 3.4. Would you mind interpreting this for me to the best or your knowledge?
    Triglycerides 128

As you know, 128 is a good number.

So, my example using Triglycerides of 120 was fairly close.

With in mind, usually a High HDL number usually coincides with a good Triglyceride number.

Cholesterol HDL, LDL, Triglycerides Ratio Calculator
    http://www.hughcalc.org/chol.php

Punch in your girl friends number with the above calculator.

Here are the ratios you'll get...

RATIOS:

1) "Total Cholesterol/HDL ratio is: 3.44 - (preferably under 5.0, ideally under 3.5) IDEAL"

2) "HDL/LDL ratio is: [/b]0.480[/b]- (preferably over 0.3, [/b]ideally over 0.4) IDEAL[/b]"

3) "Triglycerides/HDL ratio is: 1.806 - (preferably under 4, ideally under 2) IDEA"

Conclusion

ALL of her ratio's are in the "Ideal" area!

Others should be so lucky to have her numbers.

Her Father

Based on the latest research, her father and his side of the family may NOT have had cholesterol issues or they may NOT have been as bad as once believed.

Taking a look at her father lipid panel numbers is something you and/or she might want to do.

Kenny Croxdale
    I guarantee it will Never work, if you Never try it.