Thread: Is it worth it?

Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Question Is it worth it?

Hey everyone! Tonight I got the great news I was the winner of a competition suit! Now the question is... Is it worth it to compete??? I've heard from friends that compete that the expenses are HIGH!!!!! It's over $3500 with coach, diet, supplements, heels, bling, make up, hair and tan. But there's also no $$$ prize. I would like to compete I just don't want to spend too much money. What should I do?
    A STRONG woman enjoys the sweetness of the fight

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Why would you enter to win a suit if you were not planning to compete??
    How is it "great news" if you never use the suit because you do not want to pay for the rest of the comp expenses???

yes its expensive, no there is no $$$ competing, for most people it is a hobby, not a job. If you have to ask if "its worth it" then its not the sport for you.

If you are not willing to spend the money, then you should find another hobby and tell the suit maker that you are happy to have won but are not committed to competing and take a pass on the suit until you are certain if this is what you really want.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

MPH, CPT and Nutrition and Wellness Coach

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Pauliita22 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Well, I've always want to participate in a competition, I just don't think I have enough bread to afford it! It's great news to win a pricey suit because it gives me hope to compete one day, but money is an issue for most of the girls with that dream.
    A STRONG woman enjoys the sweetness of the fight

CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Pauliita22 View Post
    I've heard from friends that compete that the expenses are HIGH!!!!! It's over $3500 with coach, diet, supplements, heels, bling, make up, hair and tan. But there's also no $$$ prize. I would like to compete I just don't want to spend too much money. What should I do?
    If you are competing in something like the OCB, in a location you can drive to, I'd guess you could compete for less than $3,500. Here it is about $60 to enter a show, $25-$50 trainer or helper pass for backstage, $60 membership to whatever organization, $30-50 crossover fee, $104 a night for a hotel, $50 polygraph, $25-50 to tan, hair and makeup IDK, suit IDK, trainer or coach IDK.

At least you have the suit taken care of! Seems like besides a coach, the suits have at least doubled or tripled in price over the last 5 years or so. I would guess nice shoes will be under $100 and bling, I think that could probably be as expensive or as cheap as you wanted to go, depending on what you want.

rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) rockangel is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by CewSaw View Post
    If you are competing in something like the OCB, in a location you can drive to, I'd guess you could compete for less than $3,500. Here it is about $60 to enter a show, $25-$50 trainer or helper pass for backstage, $60 membership to whatever organization, $30-50 crossover fee, $104 a night for a hotel, $50 polygraph, $25-50 to tan, hair and makeup IDK, suit IDK, trainer or coach IDK.

At least you have the suit taken care of! Seems like besides a coach, the suits have at least doubled or tripled in price over the last 5 years or so. I would guess nice shoes will be under $100 and bling, I think that could probably be as expensive or as cheap as you wanted to go, depending on what you want.
    The costs add up fast and are about the same either way (natural vs non). The suit is such a small part of it, and a basic suit would be about $80 bucks, if you had "friends" that compete you could always borrow a suit.

But what you just listed adds up to 528, and you have just talked about some basics of show day.

My trainers are certainly not that expensive, but for 12 months its 1500, I spend about 100 bucks a month in supplements (and I don't take that many), not to mention that with eating about 2k cals a day, my grocery bills have gone up (also food prices have gone up). Shoes would be about 60 bucks, jewelry is about 100 for a few bracelets, earings and 1 ring.

Then there are other things to consider. I have done posing workshops to really smooth out my transitions and learn to pose for my body, another $75. I worked with a pageant coach for help with my walk, another $100. Then there are photos (which you can choose not to buy, but you would prob want them) at the show, there is usually 1 official photog which if you want stage shots or video, you have to buy from.

Its not a cheap sport and with all of the entry fees, membership fees, hotel and travel fees... etc.... total $3500 is about right if you are taking into account all of the total expenses.

For my next comp, I'm looking at 600 in entry fees alone.

This is why I caution people to think BEFORE they jump in. Do you really want to throw that kind of money, time, and effort in?? No one can say if it is "worth it" to you, because every individual has to decide that for themselves.

But if you are all ready questioning if its "worth it".... then it doesn't sound like this is something you are really ready to be ok throwing the money into.

For me, its worth it, because its a process I love and find fun. If you don't think you can foot the bill, then it may not be the right time for this.

Just because you have a suit, is not by itself a reason to compete.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

No one is going to care more about your progress than you. Everyone else is too busy chasing their own. You either do what you need to do to progress, or you remain where you are. The choice is yours.

ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ruichiux is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Pauliita22 View Post
    Hey everyone! Tonight I got the great news I was the winner of a competition suit! Now the question is... Is it worth it to compete??? I've heard from friends that compete that the expenses are HIGH!!!!! It's over $3500 with coach, diet, supplements, heels, bling, make up, hair and tan. But there's also no $$$ prize. I would like to compete I just don't want to spend too much money. What should I do?
    There's no deadline on when to do a show, so you have time yet to plan and save. But even with the bare minimum, you're still looking at a big chunk o' cash. You can hang onto the suit until you're better able to prepare or sell it and put the money towards a coach to get you started.

Always work harder.

All glory to G-d.

Never do the envy, jealousy, hater and insecure stuff. Be the hustler, the well-wisher, the go-getter

WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) WolfBeast is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Depending on fed you may need to buy a membership card to compete-$120
    Spray tan-$20 if you buy protan and have a friend paint you
    Make up-$100 tops (dark foundation, setting spray)
    Registration fee-$100 give or take
    Heels-$50/60
    Coaching is anywhere from $90-$250 per month depending on who you work with
    Supplement prices will vary depending on who you work with/ what they want you taking.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot over a message
    *Prep coach/Cert.Personal trainer-contact for online training
    *Instagram: amythewolf
    *Texas Crew

Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50) Emekaokammor will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    That is great news as suits can cost upwards starting at $500. But there are ways around many of the competition costs. For instance, my wife either rents/borrows or makes her own suits. Do your own tan and make up. Find your heels at a discount store or sex store.

Coaching, food, supps, and contest fees (Entry, travel, etc) will be your main costs.

But to answer your question, if you don't have a burning desire or passion to compete then it's not worth it. There is 0 tangible return, you have to do it because you love it.
    Emeka "The MenAce" Okammor - All American EFX Rep

Phil. 4:13

********: www.********.com/AllAmericanEFX
    Twitter: @AllAmericanEFX
    Instagram: @AAEFX
    http://www.aaefx.com

My comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of All American EFX and they are my own.

ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    You can always start small, right? When I first started competing, I picked a non-affiliated local show just to see if I liked it. At that level, if you are dedicated, you can compete pretty cheaply. I did my first show with no coach, trainer, heck... no gym. I just trained out of my home... it was in driving distance, etc. So for very little money, I was able to get my feet wet so to speak.

I really enjoyed that one so I moved up to competing in sanctioned natural events and the costs started growing. For the next couple shows, I still didn't use a coach, trainer, or gym. I don't know if I'd say I recommend that... it was definitely hard. I managed to do quite well on my own but even without paying for those things, the costs grew for travel, hotel, supps, etc.

After that first season, I really saw the benefit of hiring a coach. As you know, that isn't cheap. I had earned a few pro cards over that time as well, which meant that I could earn prize money at shows. But to really compete at a top level, the costs really seemed to grow. The biggest shows are never anywhere near me, they are almost always in big cities. Despite the fact that this year, I had my suits, my tans, some of my supplements, and an entry fee sponsored and I won prize payouts at 2 shows, it was my most expensive year.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that you can pick the shows you do and you can control the costs somewhat as well. You can do local shows for the experience and personal reward or you can try to be the next big IFBB pro by shelling out a tonne of cash. For just about everyone, even if you are at the top of your game, there will never be a financial return. Even with the shows that offer prize money, rarely will it cover the cost to get there.

But that isn't the point, is it? You really have to determine why you are doing it. What's your reward, what are you hoping to get out of it. That's where you determine if it's worth it to you!
    2020 Olympia Bound | NPC WPD Nationally Qualified | 2018 Arnold Amateur WPD Top 3 | 2x WPD Pro World Champion (INBA/DFAC)

Meet Lifts: S: 305 | B: 205 | D: 370 * Gym Lifts: S: 380 | B: 275 | D: 415

WEB: proyeo.com | IG: ankhjii_pro_yeo

ISSA: CFT SNS | Westside Barbell Certified

Originally Posted by ProYeo View Post
    You can always start small, right? When I first started competing, I picked a non-affiliated local show just to see if I liked it. At that level, if you are dedicated, you can compete pretty cheaply. I did my first show with no coach, trainer, heck... no gym. I just trained out of my home... it was in driving distance, etc. So for very little money, I was able to get my feet wet so to speak.

I really enjoyed that one so I moved up to competing in sanctioned natural events and the costs started growing. For the next couple shows, I still didn't use a coach, trainer, or gym. I don't know if I'd say I recommend that... it was definitely hard. I managed to do quite well on my own but even without paying for those things, the costs grew for travel, hotel, supps, etc.

After that first season, I really saw the benefit of hiring a coach. As you know, that isn't cheap. I had earned a few pro cards over that time as well, which meant that I could earn prize money at shows. But to really compete at a top level, the costs really seemed to grow. The biggest shows are never anywhere near me, they are almost always in big cities. Despite the fact that this year, I had my suits, my tans, some of my supplements, and an entry fee sponsored and I won prize payouts at 2 shows, it was my most expensive year.

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is that you can pick the shows you do and you can control the costs somewhat as well. You can do local shows for the experience and personal reward or you can try to be the next big IFBB pro by shelling out a tonne of cash. For just about everyone, even if you are at the top of your game, there will never be a financial return. Even with the shows that offer prize money, rarely will it cover the cost to get there.

But that isn't the point, is it? You really have to determine why you are doing it. What's your reward, what are you hoping to get out of it. That's where you determine if it's worth it to you!
    I started out at a local, non sanctioned event, still ended up spending $1000 for the event.

The entry fee was $10.

My coaches cost $60 a month at the time.

I did my own tan (which I turned green with, thanks pro tan) my own hair and makeup. I had no gym fees either.

Still had to buy all tanning products (about $100 if I remember) and had to buy darker makeup to match the tan, stage makeup is different.

The suits cost me 300 but then this was back when you needed a 1 piece and 2 piece for figure (also, get a good chuckle that I was in figure )

Anyways, my point is, even keeping costs down... its still a chunk of change to do, with very little monetary reward for doing so. All I got was dead last and a cute little participation medal
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ProYeo has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post

The suits cost me 300 but then this was back when you needed a 1 piece and 2 piece for figure (also, get a good chuckle that I was in figure )

Anyways, my point is, even keeping costs down... its still a chunk of change to do, with very little monetary reward for doing so. All I got was dead last and a cute little participation medal
    Funny aside... I probably dropped about that much on my first suit, I can't remember exactly. But, I bought a bikini for figure. Despite all the research I tried to do ahead of time, the one thing I never came across was the fact that there was a 'figure suit'!
    2020 Olympia Bound | NPC WPD Nationally Qualified | 2018 Arnold Amateur WPD Top 3 | 2x WPD Pro World Champion (INBA/DFAC)

Meet Lifts: S: 305 | B: 205 | D: 370 * Gym Lifts: S: 380 | B: 275 | D: 415

WEB: proyeo.com | IG: ankhjii_pro_yeo

ISSA: CFT SNS | Westside Barbell Certified

Originally Posted by ProYeo View Post
    Funny aside... I probably dropped about that much on my first suit, I can't remember exactly. But, I bought a bikini for figure. Despite all the research I tried to do ahead of time, the one thing I never came across was the fact that there was a 'figure suit'!
    Aww, that's a tough mistake!

I still have both my first suits. The 1 piece because I couldn't see throwing it away and I cant sell it since its not used any more.... the 2 piece suit I thought maybe I would do figure again some day... but while it is still very pretty... its velvet and not something you see anymore either. I don't think I know of any designers using velvet currently.

Which is another reason why I say don't get the suit and hold on to it in "hopes" of competing one day... styles change so much and you might be stuck with a suit you cant use in a few years.

I know there was talk about a year ago from the NPC about changing the style of the bikini suit again. Something about not allowing certain connectors.
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps

CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000) CewSaw is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by rockangel View Post
    but while it is still very pretty... its velvet and not something you see anymore either. I don't think I know of any designers using velvet currently.

Which is another reason why I say don't get the suit and hold on to it in "hopes" of competing one day... styles change so much and you might be stuck with a suit you cant use in a few years.
    LOL. I still have a velvet figure suit, I don't even remember why I bought it except probably that it was a steal at the time. I don't even think I was thinking of competing at the time, and by the time I had figured out what figure was and how much muscle that would take, the styles had changed and the competitors had gotten even more professional looking even locally. Now the suit is just kind of a sentimental thing, like what was I thinking?

Originally Posted by CewSaw View Post
    LOL. I still have a velvet figure suit, I don't even remember why I bought it except probably that it was a steal at the time. I don't even think I was thinking of competing at the time, and by the time I had figured out what figure was and how much muscle that would take, the styles had changed and the competitors had gotten even more professional looking even locally. Now the suit is just kind of a sentimental thing, like what was I thinking?
    Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who has one still.

I guess I could salvage the stone on it, or make a shadow box with it and my little medal and a flyer from the show Bout all its good for now.

Thought about repurposing the one piece for a costume.... pretty sure I could find a comic figure who wears a one piece blue outfit, then at least the velvet fabric would be useful, LOL!!!
    www.bikinisandbiceps.com
    IG@bikinisandbiceps