OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Cool Sprinter gym routine

Hey guys I'm wondering what sort of training a sprinter would do. I was looking through the forums and most people train once or twice in the gym.
    Also what sort of conditioning should i do track season is starting around 5 months and I can't find a good one online. (I wanna train 400m)

EDIT: I meant 400m not 200m my bad guys
    Last edited by OnlyLegDay; 10-14-2015 at 10:09 AM.

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I would do something like this - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=169216793 - and add in whatever speed/conditioning work your coach tells you to do.

Next to powerlifters/weightlifters, sprinters are probably the strongest pound for pound athletes out their, so you need to get strong before you can be fast.
    www.dreesperformance.com

OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) OnlyLegDay has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question

Anyways I'm planning on the following for conditioning

Monday: 8x200m main focus speed
    Tuesday: 4x350m, 6x100 speed/endurance
    Wednesday: 3x600m, 3x500m over distance
    Thursday: 4x300m, 3x200 mid distance
    Friday: Tuesdays work
    Saturday: Thursday's work
    Sunday: light walk/rest

Imma do core work as well . Plyo on days with no gym. I need some sort of help with the gym routine. I was thinking of doing the following

Workout A
    1.Box squat 3x5
    2.Bench press 3x5
    3.DB shoulder press 3x8
    4.Chin/pull ups 3x8
    5.ham string curls 3x8

Workout B
    1.Deadlift 3x3
    2.Push press 3x3
    3.DB bench press 3x8
    4.Chin/pull ups 3x8
    5.lunges or pistol squats 3x8

Lunges and hamstring curls are apparently really good for sprinters.
    Push press and box squat for explosiveness
    Bp and Deadlift basic strength
    The rest are for assistance

BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000) BuffMother is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by OnlyLegDay View Post

Imma do core work as well . Plyo on days with no gym. I need some sort of help with the gym routine. I was thinking of doing the following

Workout A
    1.Box squat 3x5
    2.Bench press 3x5
    3.DB shoulder press 3x8
    4.Chin/pull ups 3x8
    5.ham string curls 3x8

Workout B
    1.Deadlift 3x3
    2.Push press 3x3
    3.DB bench press 3x8
    4.Chin/pull ups 3x8

That's a very aggressive plan-- for the 200m you need to focus more on your speed.
    Get in some good START practice and shorter accellerations 30 to 60 m's
    There is really no reson for you to do anything over a 200m speed repeat-- I'd cut out the 350m's

Also, do regular squats- NO BOX!
    Your BuffMother, Michelle Berger
    Owner http://www.BuffMother.com

Current journal http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=169126173&page=1

Oh **** I meant 400m fml I'll edit quickly also reason for box is too focus on explosiveness on the way up
    Last edited by OnlyLegDay; 10-14-2015 at 10:13 AM.

jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000) jonmd123 is just really nice. (+1000)

Workout A
    1.Box squat 3x5
    2.Bench press 3x5
    3.DB shoulder press 3x8
    4.Chin/pull ups 3x8
    5.ham string curls 3x8

Workout B
    1.Deadlift 3x3
    2.Push press 3x3
    3.DB bench press 3x8
    4.Chin/pull ups 3x8

I would stick with a proven program instead of making one up on your own.
    www.dreesperformance.com

OK but every program says squat three or twice a week which is mad hard after all that sprinting. Looked over the forum some people said west side barbell 3 is good.
    It's not that I hate squatting I just don't wanna mess up my knees with all that sprinting. Oly lifts are good but I'd need a coach for it and there ain't none where I live.

EDIT: let's say I westside barbell and cut out daily poly work what should I do for my conditioning. I'm looking at the track workout given by the website it looks good not sure tho.
    Sorry about all the questions I can't find definite answers for my question anywhere
    Last edited by OnlyLegDay; 10-14-2015 at 11:21 AM.

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    OK but every program says squat three or twice a week which is mad hard after all that sprinting. Looked over the forum some people said west side barbell 3 is good.
    It's not that I hate squatting I just don't wanna mess up my knees with all that sprinting. Oly lifts are good but I'd need a coach for it and there ain't none where I live.
    It's West Side for Skinny Bastards version 3. If you've never lifted (i.e. you're a novice) a 3 day/week full body program would be appropriate for the first year. Otherwise a 4 day upper/lower split routine would be good for strength phase and then 2 days -3 days per week as you concentrate more on speed training for the season. Of course the best program is the one you will actually stick to so a 2day/week full body program would be fine if that's what you'll stick to. Read the stickies as their are a number of good, proven programs for you to choose from. As for the oly lifts you need to do some explosive lifting work for T&F, if you can't/won't do oly lifts then try some of the medicine ball throwing work. It's good, just not as good as the oly lifts. For the first part of the off season it looks like you may have too much running. Concentrate on strength work, sprint mechanics, and some running and then decrease the strength training ( change to more explosive) and increase the running volume as you approach the season. Check out USATF for some good routines and clubs/coaches in your area that you can train with over the winter. My son's winter throws training starts next month and in the same facility we have folk's training pole vault, sprints, triple jump, and high jump.

EDIT: let's say I westside barbell and cut out daily poly work what should I do for my conditioning. I'm looking at the track workout given by the website it looks good not sure tho.
    Sorry about all the questions I can't find definite answers for my question anywhere
    I laid everything out for you in the link I originally posted.
    www.dreesperformance.com

boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) boathead is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    i've trained for sprints, and have in the past been associated with a master's track club.

a few bullet points:
    - ask your coach. that should be your starting point, as anything you or i come up with may be at odds with his own programming.
    -if you can, hit the track on the gym on the SAME day. it is paramount to have full rest days.
    -which leads to my last point- don't do plyos on your off day.

nonetheless, the athletes that i watched had a very short list of weight training exercises. sessions were intense, but not very high in volume, as recovery was always in mind. do too much, and your priority....sprinting....suffers.

squats, back or front
    deadlift
    rdl's
    bench/incline presses
    rows/pullups.

intensity (% of 1rm) is high leading into the season, but once things start, most athletes then cut back to a maintenance weight training routine.

Originally Posted by jonmd123 View Post
    I laid everything out for you in the link I originally posted.
    Can you send me your program msohaibu@gmail.com

Originally Posted by boathead View Post
    i've trained for sprints, and have in the past been associated with a master's track club.

a few bullet points:
    - ask your coach. that should be your starting point, as anything you or i come up with may be at odds with his own programming.
    -if you can, hit the track on the gym on the SAME day. it is paramount to have full rest days.
    -which leads to my last point- don't do plyos on your off day.

nonetheless, the athletes that i watched had a very short list of weight training exercises. sessions were intense, but not very high in volume, as recovery was always in mind. do too much, and your priority....sprinting....suffers.

squats, back or front
    deadlift
    rdl's
    bench/incline presses
    rows/pullups.

intensity (% of 1rm) is high leading into the season, but once things start, most athletes then cut back to a maintenance weight training routine.
    I've been doing starting strength for the past 2 months. But now I want to add more explosiveness in my program.

Originally Posted by jonmd123 View Post

Next to powerlifters/weightlifters, sprinters are probably the strongest pound for pound athletes out their, so you need to get strong before you can be fast.
    Hey dude you know for you gpp phase how long should i do it. Because as I mentioned before I've been doing starting strength these past 2-3 months along with general soccer conditioning.
    I think 3-4 weeks will be good not sure though
    Also are excersice a and b supposed to be super setted?

Hey dude you know for you gpp phase how long should i do it. Because as I mentioned before I've been doing starting strength these past 2-3 months along with general soccer conditioning.
    I think 3-4 weeks will be good not sure though
    Also are excersice a and b supposed to be super setted?
    3-4 week will probably be fine for the GPP phase.

Correct. 1a, 1b, 1c, etc. are all super-setted together with somewhere in the ballpark of 20-30 seconds of rest in between.
    www.dreesperformance.com

mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mmaLife16 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    When I started Olympic lifting and squatting 4 times a week my vertical jump went up 12 inches and my 100 meter went from 15-12:45
    bench: 280
    squat: 395
    Deadlift: 455
    Push press: 190
    weighted pullup: 110lbs

Gains

Originally Posted by mmaLife16 View Post
    When I started Olympic lifting and squatting 4 times a week my vertical jump went up 12 inches and my 100 meter went from 15-12:45
    Lol wut? Squatting 4 times heavy?
    You know what I'm actually thinking of oly lifting but is it a good idea to learn them without a coach?
    I heard stuff like Bulgarian split Squats are good for sprinters

sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) sowilson has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I would want a coach for most of the Oly lifts. There are some medicine ball throws that you can sort of use as a substitute. IIRC Stack has had a couple of articles on them. Unilateral leg work (like the Bulgarian split squat) is good, but unless you're squatting twice your body weight I would still work on building base strength and use the explosive work and unilateral leg work as accessory lifts.

Yea I'm thinking of doing medicine balls but won't I need a partner. Most friends I go to the gym with focus more on aesthetics.
    Also mmalife said he Squats 4 times a week personally I feel that all that heavy squatting might **** up your knees.