cen1 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

New HIIT training regime

I'm trying to utilize a new HIIT training routine and I'm not sure if it's good enough/long or hard enough. Using a recumbent bike I just hit quick start and warm up, I put it on a resistant of 7-8 and do 2:00 at an easy pace of 80-82 rpm, them I kick it up to 115 RPM's for 30 seconds, I do this 10 times. My Hr usually hangs in the upper 120's, and upper 130's when I go full blast. Any advice at all is appreciated.

www.ABFitnessTrainer.com italianplaya30's Avatar
    italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) italianplaya30 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by cen1 View Post
    I'm trying to utilize a new HIIT training routine and I'm not sure if it's good enough/long or hard enough. Using a recumbent bike I just hit quick start and warm up, I put it on a resistant of 7-8 and do 2:00 at an easy pace of 80-82 rpm, them I kick it up to 115 RPM's for 30 seconds, I do this 10 times. My Hr usually hangs in the upper 120's, and upper 130's when I go full blast. Any advice at all is appreciated.
    True high intensity should only last 15-20 seconds…but up your resistance or your RPM…it should feel like you want to die during your "sprints"
    AB Fitness Center
    (The Best Personal Training Gym to Work for in NY)
    Apply Below
    www.ABFitnessCenter.com/career
    Instagram: @abfitness
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    When doing HIIT you want your heart rate to return to normal in between each high intensity "rep".

An example would be sprinting all out for 30 seconds and then walking for 1-2 minutes (or until HR has returned to normal) then repeat.

Apply that idea to whatever cardio exercise you choose.
    "This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it, study it, tweak it, listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on that EAT, TRAIN, SLEEP regime. What are you on?"

* ARMY * 3rd ID - OIF, OEF *

Originally Posted by Lowpala View Post
    When doing HIIT you want your heart rate to return to normal in between each high intensity "rep".

An example would be sprinting all out for 30 seconds and then walking for 1-2 minutes (or until HR has returned to normal) then repeat.

Apply that idea to whatever cardio exercise you choose.
    So, when you say my HR should return to normal, what exactly would that be? The HR I have during the 2 min "rest period"? My HR slowly comes down over the 2 min, then of course jacks up during the sprint. Is there a target HR I should try to reach during the "sprint"? Thx guys

Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Lowpala has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    So, when you say my HR should return to normal, what exactly would that be? The HR I have during the 2 min "rest period"? My HR slowly comes down over the 2 min, then of course jacks up during the sprint. Is there a target HR I should try to reach during the "sprint"? Thx guys
    As close to your resting HR as possible, whatever that is for you. Probably around 60-80 bpm depending on what kind of shape you are in.

What I am saying is that your pace needs to be slow enough in that "rest period" for HR to drop back to normal before starting the next sprint. If it is not slowing back down to resting (or very close to) then you are not doing HIIT, more of a high intensity steady state instead.

During the sprint you should go for all out effort, everything you've got. Your HR should be really high, not going to put a number on it because everyone is different. I have had mine above 160 bpm doing sprints on a track.
    "This is my body. And I can do whatever I want to it. I can push it, study it, tweak it, listen to it. Everybody wants to know what I'm on. What am I on? I'm on that EAT, TRAIN, SLEEP regime. What are you on?"

brodybanky2862 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

You are not at all doing HIIT and are barely doing even aerobic exercise given the HR numbers you are reporting. With HIIT your HR should be up around 85% of your max HR (for a rough calculation of max HR do 220 minus your age), so we are talking in the 160's-170's. Hell when I'm doing HIIT after a few goes, my heart rate at the end of my intervals is in the 140's. The "zone" for aerobic non-HIIT training is higher than 130's HR. If you can't yet handle doing HIIT right now you might be better served by just doing some steady state cardio and doing a bit of weight lifting to gain some muscle for your legs. My guess is that with your current numbers you are probably spinning your wheels a bit (no pun intended). ((I just realized that you might be an older person (60 years+), in which case your numbers are actually pretty close to what you should be doing)).

One thing I've recently found helpful is to do the first 15 min on a "30 seconds on and then 1 minute off" cycle. Then, once I get to 15 min, I try to do a few more intervals at top speed but give myself longer breaks (usually trying to get to where my HR is at like 152 before the next sprint). You could try to do a modified form of this. However, I think you might need to do some more basic cardio first before trying out HIIT.
    Last edited by brodybanky2862; 10-26-2014 at 08:10 PM.

As close to your resting HR as possible, whatever that is for you. Probably around 60-80 bpm depending on what kind of shape you are in.

What I am saying is that your pace needs to be slow enough in that "rest period" for HR to drop back to normal before starting the next sprint. If it is not slowing back down to resting (or very close to) then you are not doing HIIT, more of a high intensity steady state instead.
    I don't think it is wise when doing HIIT for your rest to be this rested. You don't need your heart rate to be down at 80, that is crazy. After doing a sprint even if you sat down and did nothing or walked at the slowest pace, it would take a while for your heart rate to be completely down. I think you want it somewhere in the 120-130 range--basically what your heart is doing while doing really light steady state cardio.

AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000) AFC96 is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Just sprint for 20-30s and walk/sit whatever that is not taxing for a few minutes until you are able to sprint again. It would be really complicated if you are going by your heart rate.
    My Powerlifting "Road To Manlet" Log: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=172129323

Instagram: a.camstra

Gym PR(KG): 195/130/220 @61KG Raw

Meet PR(KG): 185/117.5/200 @58.6KG

Originally Posted by brodybanky2862 View Post
    I don't think it is wise when doing HIIT for your rest to be this rested. You don't need your heart rate to be down at 80, that is crazy. After doing a sprint even if you sat down and did nothing or walked at the slowest pace, it would take a while for your heart rate to be completely down. I think you want it somewhere in the 120-130 range--basically what your heart is doing while doing really light steady state cardio.
    No that is incorrect, you are referencing an aerobic cardio exercise. HIIT is anaerobic, which is why you want your HR to return to normal.

Originally Posted by AFC96 View Post
    Just sprint for 20-30s and walk/sit whatever that is not taxing for a few minutes until you are able to sprint again. It would be really complicated if you are going by your heart rate.
    Obviously you don't actually track your heart rate all the time. I was just trying to give this person a sense of what it means to sprint. I have seen a lot of people thinking they are doing HIIT when really they are just doing medium intensity intervals in which case they might be better served by just doing steady state.

You are not at all doing HIIT and are barely doing even aerobic exercise given the HR numbers you are reporting. With HIIT your HR should be up around 85% of your max HR (for a rough calculation of max HR do 220 minus your age), so we are talking in the 160's-170's. Hell when I'm doing HIIT after a few goes, my heart rate at the end of my intervals is in the 140's. The "zone" for aerobic non-HIIT training is higher than 130's HR. If you can't yet handle doing HIIT right now you might be better served by just doing some steady state cardio and doing a bit of weight lifting to gain some muscle for your legs. My guess is that with your current numbers you are probably spinning your wheels a bit (no pun intended). ((I just realized that you might be an older person (60 years+), in which case your numbers are actually pretty close to what you should be doing)).

One thing I've recently found helpful is to do the first 15 min on a "30 seconds on and then 1 minute off" cycle. Then, once I get to 15 min, I try to do a few more intervals at top speed but give myself longer breaks (usually trying to get to where my HR is at like 152 before the next sprint). You could try to do a modified form of this. However, I think you might need to do some more basic cardio first before trying out HIIT.
    Ok so I'm 46, 85% is around 145, I'm getting upper 130's during the sprint and staying at 120, while " resting", I have good cv conditioning, I can get to 85%. I also wonder about going back down to resting HR, I could go back into the 110's easily enough. 120 hr is 70% at my age, you wouldn't consider that aerobic?

Ok so I'm 46, 85% is around 145, I'm getting upper 130's during the sprint and staying at 120, while " resting", I have good cv conditioning, I can get to 85%. I also wonder about going back down to resting HR, I could go back into the 110's easily enough. 120 hr is 70% at my age, you wouldn't consider that aerobic?
    120 is aerobic for your age (sorry I was being a bit age biased and needlessly snippy). You should go for 85% HR during your sprints and 65% HR during your rests. I think the program I suggested where you do the first few on a set schedule (30 seconds on and 2 minutes rest or whatever you want) is good to push yourself a bit. But if you start to get tired it's completely ok to give yourself a bigger break to make sure you are still doing your intervals at the high 85% intensity.
    Last edited by brodybanky2862; 10-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.

There is basically no change in your heart rate between your rests and sprints. This is aerobic cardio and not HIIT - anaerobic.

No that is incorrect, you are referencing an aerobic cardio exercise. HIIT is anaerobic, which is why you want your HR to return to normal.
    It depends what you want to work on. Most guides that I have seen suggest doing the rest at 65% of your maximum heart rate (if you have other sources or enough people think I'm wrong I'll revise). I think if you let your heart rate relax completely you'd have too much time between "sets"--if you think of HIIT as weight training (which is is) then you don't want to have 3-4 minutes between sets. Also, you get endurance benefits from HIIT if you keep your heart rate at least a tiny bit up during your rest intervals.

There is basically no change in your heart rate between your rests and sprints. This is aerobic cardio and not HIIT - anaerobic.
    So when I do HIIT at my max my HR gets to like 169-172 and then goes down to 140-145 during rests. I like your idea that HIIT isn't HIIT if your heart rate stays up a tiny bit during your rest intervals. Again, maybe I'm wrong about this... others want to weigh in?

It depends what you want to work on. Most guides that I have seen suggest doing the rest at 65% of your maximum heart rate (if you have other sources or enough people think I'm wrong I'll revise). I think if you let your heart rate relax completely you'd have too much time between "sets"--if you think of HIIT as weight training (which is is) then you don't want to have 3-4 minutes between sets. Also, you get endurance benefits from HIIT if you keep your heart rate at least a tiny bit up during your rest intervals.
    There is nothing wrong with 3-4 minutes between sets. Your heart rate must come down to a resting (or close to) rate, if it never comes below we'll just say 120 then you haven't rested and are still aerobic. Turning your HIIT into LISS or HISS.

So when I do HIIT at my max my HR gets to like 169-172 and then goes down to 140-145 during rests. I like your idea that HIIT isn't HIIT if your heart rate stays up a tiny bit during your rest intervals. Again, maybe I'm wrong about this... others want to weigh in?
    Well 140-145 is more than just a tiny bit above your resting HR, at least I hope so lol.

There is nothing wrong with 3-4 minutes between sets. Your heart rate must come down to a resting (or close to) rate, if it never comes below we'll just say 120 then you haven't rested and are still aerobic. Turning your HIIT into LISS or HISS.
    So by your logic. If I get my heart rate up to the anaerobic range on all of my intervals (166-171 for a 29 year old), but my heart rate only dips to 142 during my 1 minute rests between sets I'm not getting ANY anaerobic training. Does not compute...

So by your logic. If I get my heart rate up to the anaerobic range on all of my intervals (166-171 for a 29 year old), but my heart rate only dips to 142 during my 1 minute rests between sets I'm not getting ANY anaerobic training. Does not compute...
    Not to say that there is zero benefit at all. I don't consider a HR that is still pounding away at over 140 to be rested.

Think of a heavy set of high rep squats, one that leaves you light headed heart pounding. You wouldn't jump back under the bar and attempt that identical set until you were rested. The time between is irrelevant.

When I used to train for sprints, we would rest for 5 or more minutes between sprints.

Not to say that there is zero benefit at all. I don't consider a HR that is still pounding away at over 140 to be rested.

When I used to train for sprints, we would rest for 5 or more minutes between sprints.
    That's cool that you guys rested between sprints... so can you explain the logic of how each 30 seconds at 171 HR is not anaerobic? Just want clarification on that point...

That's cool that you guys rested between sprints... so can you explain the logic of how each 30 seconds at 171 HR is not anaerobic? Just want clarification on that point...
    I agree that it is. You just want to bring the heart rate down between sets or you are losing focus on HIIT.

I agree that it is. You just want to bring the heart rate down between sets or you are losing focus on HIIT.
    Hmmm don't really get why you'd need to do that if you are getting the anaerobic benefits from the high intensity bouts and I have never seen a HIIT guide suggest more than 2 minute breaks between sprints. Oh well, seems we are at an impasse.

So how about I just stop biking in between 30 second bursts so my heart rate comes down enough??

So how about I just stop biking in between 30 second bursts so my heart rate comes down enough??
    Personally that's how I would do it.

Look at like lifting weights, after benching 225 for 8 reps would you continuously rep the bar during your rest before attempting to rep out 225 again?

But there seems to be different approaches, so probably whatever you feel most comfortable doing would work just fine.

Personally that's how I would do it.

Look at like lifting weights, after benching 225 for 8 reps would you continuously rep the bar during your rest before attempting to rep out 225 again?

But there seems to be different approaches, so probably whatever you feel most comfortable doing would work just fine.

Thanks so much to all who responded