LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) LeBrunFitness is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

"Fill-in-the-Blanks" Workout Routine for Beginners.

Here's a Fill-in-the-Blanks Workout Routine for Beginners
    by Shawn Lebrun
    Personal trainer
    http://www.shawnlebrunfitness.com

So how much resistance training is necessary to increase your lean muscle mass and strength?

Not as much as you probably think.

Unlike what you may read about in the muscle mags, you do not have to train hours a day, seven days a week to get results.

In fact, any more weight/resistance training than 2 to 3 hours a week may be counter-productive.

The best results I've witnessed while in the personal training field come from 3-5 sessions a week with weights, less than an hour each session.

Most people like the Monday, Wednesday, Friday approach to weight training. This leaves Tuesday and Thursday for cardio, which should be done separately from weight training.

The following outline for a workout routine is simplistic in it's approach, which is also why it's very effective.

The key to proper weight training is to establish a good foundation in which to build upon, much like building a solid foundation for a house.

If you cut corners and build a weak foundation for a house, as time goes on, the house will become weaker and less sturdy.

Same thing with weight training.

Keep it simple. It's more productive to focus effectively on a few tasks (exercises) than it is to work out with less intensity on many different ones.

You can revise and edit the program every 8 to 10 weeks to include different exercises or a different pairing of muscle groups.

Keep your routine simple, follow the suggested exercises (most are simple, well-known basic exercises) and I guarantee you will see more results.

Step 1. From the following muscle groups, pick two that you will be working out on Day 1 of weight training.

Chest
    Back
    Shoulders
    Legs
    Biceps
    Triceps

Day 1 (Monday) of weight training ________ and __________

Then for day 2, pick two different muscle groups.

Day 2 (Wednesday) of weight training _________ and __________

Finally, day 3 will include the last two muscle groups.

Day 3 (Friday) _________ and ___________

Here's your three day weight training routine. Monday, Wednesday, Friday is good or maybe Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday.

The key is to give yourself a day in between weight training sessions so that you may include a cardiovascular session on your non-weight training days.

Include at least 1-2 days off each week for rest and recovery purposes.

Here's a sample week:

Monday: back & chest
    Tuesday: cardio
    Wednesday: legs & shoulders
    Thursday : cardio
    Friday: biceps & triceps
    Saturday & Sunday Off

Step 2. Depending on which muscle groups you are training, pick 2-3 exercises for each muscle group from among the following list.

Chest
    -----
    Flat bench press with bar
    Flat bench press with dumbbells
    Incline bench press with bar
    Incline bench press with dumbbells
    Weighted Dips

Back
    -----
    Dumbbell one arm row
    Cable lat pulldowns to front
    Seated back row on machine
    Deadlifts
    Bent over back rows w/ bar
    Lower back extension
    Chin-ups (Pull-ups)
    Shrugs for Traps (Dumbbells or barbell)

Shoulders
    --------
    Seated military press with bar
    Seated dumbbell shoulder presses
    Dumbbell side lateral raises
    Bent-over dumbbell raises
    Front dumbbell raises
    Upright rows (also works traps)

Legs
    ----
    Squats
    Leg press
    Hack Squats
    Leg curls
    Leg extension
    Stiff-leg deadlifts
    Lunges with bar or dumbbells
    Calf-raises/presses

Biceps
    ------
    Standing Alternate dumbbell curls
    Standing Straight bar curls
    Standing Cable curls
    Hammer curls (forearms and biceps)
    Ez curl bar curls

Triceps
    -------
    Lying Triceps extension (Skullcrushers)
    Close-grip bench press
    Cable triceps pushdowns
    Dumbbell kickbacks
    Weighted dips

Abdominals
    ----------
    Lying crunches
    Leg raises
    Cable crunches
    Stability ball crunches
    Crunches on incline bench

Now plug each exercise into the appropriate spot on the following page to give you the whole week's routine. You only need to do 2-3 exercises per muscle group, but do them well, with intensity.

Doing two exercises with intensity and focus is better than doing 3-4 with little or no intensity. Again, in order to properly track progress, stay with a certain routine for at least 8 to 10 weeks before changing.

Monday: muscle groups ___________ & _____________

1st muscle group___________

1st exercise____________ x 3 sets
    2nd exercise____________x 3 sets
    3rd exercise (if applicable)____________x 3 sets

2nd muscle group_________

1st exercise____________x 3 sets
    2nd exercise____________x 3 sets

*include 3 sets of 2 separate abdominal exercises

Wednesday: muscle groups ____________ & _____________

1st muscle group _________

1st exercise ________________x 3 sets
    2nd exercise_______________x 3 sets

2nd muscle group __________

1st exercise ______________ x 3 sets
    2nd exercise _______________ x 3 sets

Friday: muscle groups _____________ & ___________

1st muscle group _____
    1st exercise ______________ x 3 sets
    2nd exercise ______________ x 3 sets

2nd muscle group ___________
    1st exercise _______________ x 3 sets
    2nd exercise _______________ x 3 sets

You do not need more than 3 weight training workouts per week if you combine 2 muscle groups in each workout (biceps & triceps).

Try to do no more than 2 muscle groups per workout (ex. Biceps & triceps).

Do only two to three exercises per muscle group.
    (ex. Flat bench w/ bar, incline bench w/ dumbbells)

Do only 2-3 heavy sets per exercise. You can do as many "warm-ups" as you feel necessary.

1st set-10 reps (warm-up)
    2nd set-8 reps (warm-up)
    3rd set-6 reps (weight acclimation)
    4th and 5th sets (heavy sets)

On each set, try to progressively add a little more weight each time.

Keep records of your weight lifts so you can try to outdo (progress) each and every workout!

You can do abdominals twice a week, spaced apart a few days.

Follow this routine for a few months and you'll soon leave the ranks of "beginner" and will also bring with you more muscle and strength than you've ever had!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Discover a step-by-step plan to pack on muscle and explode strength. Skip the beginners learning curve and start doing what brings results! "Simple Steps to Get Huge and Shredded"
    http://www.shawnlebrunfitness.com/getshredded.html
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250) akaMarko has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

Very well thought out. Any begginer will see some quality gains from this workout programme. "Provided their diet also measures up". :-)

fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) fortybelow has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Im gonna give this a shot.. Im doing tri/chest, bicep/back, leg/shoulder/abs/traps. wish me luck

Wick3d3lf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wick3d3lf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wick3d3lf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Wick3d3lf has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would respectfully have to disagree. Your split is more geared toward intermediate. I did those for years and didn't get half the results I did on a 5x5

KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000) KaylaElizabeth is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Wick3d3lf View Post
    I would respectfully have to disagree. Your split is more geared toward intermediate. I did those for years and didn't get half the results I did on a 5x5
    I can vouch for this. My boyfriend ducked around on those programs for years and got better only when he started a 5x5.
    Competing this August with the NPC.

Current Lifts on this cut.. BW approx 125
    Squat: 215lbx1
    Bench: 125lbx1
    DeadLift:215lbx1

I like food. I like coffee.

lolgamegd01 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For your question, like a long time!
    But my ability is limited, please forgive me!
    But this is a big group, I hope your question can be answered quickly!