SUIYHA has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

When to eat - burning muscle and keeping fat

I've read a lot of conflicting opinions on the net recently about this, so I'm keep to get it all in one place and hear what's worked best for some of you guys.

A few years ago I wanted to get into shape for a summer holiday, so I started doing a bit of light cardio here and there, as well as a bit of weights work and cutting my sugar intake. After a month or two, I started to see a little improvement, but then what really started making a huge difference to the size of my waist was when I started getting up in the mornings and going for a run before breakfast - the old logic being that your body has no food stored inside and goes straight into burning body fat. The holiday was great, I spent most of it drinking heavily and eating all sorts of fatty foods and putting myself back to square one.

Fast forward a few years, I'm now taking my entire physique much more seriously. I don't do a huge amount of cardio, but over the last 6-8 months I've been hitting the gym pretty hard with weight training and have made some quite big gains to my muscle size - friends and family members have started to notice which I'm really pleased with. Here's my problem, I have a layer of belly fat I'd still like to get rid of. I am watching my diet - on weekends I let myself drink alcohol and have the occasional junk food snack, but I am generally very strict about eating minimal amounts of saturated fats, sugars etc. I still can't help but feel though, that the best way for me to get rid of this final layer of belly fat, is to go running in the mornings before work like I used to.

The two key differences are as follows though. Last time I was running before work on an empty stomach, I had no muscle that I was worried about losing. Now I am concerned that instead of burning of my fat, I may lose the muscle I've worked so hard over the last 6-8 months to gain. I could try and eat something beforehand, but I work longer hours than I used to so that means getting up extremely early to let my food settle beforehand. On the flipside, because my job is such long hours I tend to get home, go to the gym, eat dinner and then go to bed shortly afterwards, and I have also heard that eating shortly before going to bed may or may not add extra fat to you because your metabolism slows down when you sleep, but that apparently this is a myth and it is only your daily calorie intake/deficit that matters. So, my questions are:

1. From your experiences, does running first thing in the morning on an empty stomach destroy muscle quicker than fat?
    2. If so, how far in advance do you need to eat?
    3. Can you not eat immediately after the run?
    4. Can something like a protein shake just before you start get the job done? Or do you need a proper meal before you start?
    5. Do you find that eating just before you go to bed tends to put on extra fat?
    6. Conversely, if you've eaten a big meal the night before, could that may "safer" for your muscles to have some fuel still inside when going for a run before breakfast the next morning?

Looking forward to your advice on things

SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50) SeanM4 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You are majorly overthinking all of this to a pathetic degree. Muscle doesn't magically melt away. Run when you want to (if you even want to run), and eat when you want to.

IFBB Amateur, M. Physique ArchangelEST's Avatar
    ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ArchangelEST has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by SUIYHA View Post
    but I am generally very strict about eating minimal amounts of saturated fats, sugars etc.
    Avoidance of these substances is not required.

I still can't help but feel though, that the best way for me to get rid of this final layer of belly fat, is to go running in the mornings before work like I used to.
    Increasing activity is indeed a good way to create a caloric deficit.

1. From your experiences, does running first thing in the morning on an empty stomach destroy muscle quicker than fat?
    Experience is just about irrelevant in this case. Science is important. Your muscles will be fine.

2. If so, how far in advance do you need to eat?
    Up to you. You can eat or not eat. Your preference.

3. Can you not eat immediately after the run?
    At any time you want to.

4. Can something like a protein shake just before you start get the job done? Or do you need a proper meal before you start?
    Eat whatever you like, that makes for a better running session.

5. Do you find that eating just before you go to bed tends to put on extra fat?
    Fat accumulation is the byproduct of excessive caloric intake, not meal timing.

6. Conversely, if you've eaten a big meal the night before, could that may "safer" for your muscles to have some fuel still inside when going for a run before breakfast the next morning?
    Pretty much irrelevant. The nutrition of the previous day can assist with a more enjoyable and easier running session, but don't worry about fat or muscle gain/loss.
    Owner of:

www.Aspartame-Research.com
    www.MayfieldFitness.net

Author of:

Flexible Dieting Handbook: How To Lose Weight by Eating What You Want - an Amazon Bestseller

"The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write, but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn. "

― Alvin Toffler

ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50) ScottAllan77 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You don't need to over think what you eat or when you eat. You need to know how many calories you're eating each day. If that number is less then your TDEE (read the stickies) then you'll lose weight. If that number is higher then your TDEE you'll gain weight. If you're lifting heavy things the weight you gain will be more muscle then fat.

Belly fat is the last bit of fat we all lose. If your goal is to maintain your muscle and lose that fat keep lifting and running but eat at a caloric deficit. As long as you lift you'll minimize the muscle lost.

IGF1-Akt-mTor1/2 Brah braggable's Avatar
    braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) braggable has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Hello SUIYHA,

There is a wide range of fat burners available at the bodybuilding.com store. I personally like the "Cellucor Super HD" found here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ce.../super-hd.html . It offers Increased Energy while Boosting Fat Metabolism and Controlling Appetite.

Good luck!
    The above statement/post does not represent the opinions of anyone in real life. This is the internet. Not real life. Anyone who cannot grasp the difference between the two lacks the basic intelligence necessary for survival and should not be allowed to form opinions.

rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) rhadam has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by braggable View Post
    Hello SUIYHA,

There is a wide range of fat burners available at the bodybuilding.com store. I personally like the "Cellucor Super HD" found here: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/ce.../super-hd.html . It offers Increased Energy while Boosting Fat Metabolism and Controlling Appetite.

Good luck!
    Another worthless post.
    Psych & handcuffs
    Current reading: Vonnegut, Theodor Adorno
    House, Techno, and 4Runners

TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) TearsOfIce has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by ArchangelEST View Post
    Avoidance of these substances is not required.

Increasing activity is indeed a good way to create a caloric deficit.

Experience is just about irrelevant in this case. Science is important. Your muscles will be fine.

Up to you. You can eat or not eat. Your preference.

At any time you want to.

Eat whatever you like, that makes for a better running session.

Fat accumulation is the byproduct of excessive caloric intake, not meal timing.

Pretty much irrelevant. The nutrition of the previous day can assist with a more enjoyable and easier running session, but don't worry about fat or muscle gain/loss.

/thread ...
    #benchesmorethansquatcrew